Rising World

This one's kind of for gogo, as he said he enjoyed these. This is the story I made featuring myself in a game called Rising World. 

Ryan was a man no different than any other man. He had a wife and a three year old son. He had a job and was a military veteran, just like many others. In the military, he saw something or some  type of hair-raising, putrid  incidents, which was also common. One doesn't join the military and expect to play tiddlywinks or shoot at people in a game of laser tag. Now, his job, gemology, may or not be common, depending on your interests and circles you run in. So, we have a common, ordinary man, who considered himself no better and no worse than anyone else. Not stronger or weaker than anyone else, no more or less intelligent than anyone else, not more or less handsome than anyone else; he thought of himself as just one of the 7.5 billion people running around earth.

His day, on December 19th 2018, was also no different, no more or less anything, than any other day. He, his wife, and their three year old son went to a vape store so he could pick up his favorite fluid, seedless freeze (which was a menthol and watermelon flavored fluid. After that, he took them to one of his competitor's store, just so he could say hello to the owner and look at some minerals beyond the ones he sold in his own home. Afterwards, because his son behaved so well in the store (which is hard for a three year old, surrounded by a million bright, shiny rocks), Ryan took his family to his son's (Connor) favorite restaurant.  One might assume that the restaurant would be your typical fast food chain. However, neither Connor nor Ryan could stomach fast food places any more, as Ryan's father had his own farm, so both Ryan and Connor were raised on farm-fresh meat and eggs. So, being that Connor was a total nut for lamb meat, cheese, and tzatziki, Connor's restaurant of choice was a place named Papa Gyro's. The rest of the day was no more or less eventful than any other day. However, that night, because Ryan's wife (Jenn) had worked three 12-hour shifts in a row and had some sleep thing (I think it's called like hyper insomnia), Jenn snored so badly that it sounded like someone trying to shove a chainsaw down a garbage disposal. This happened from time to time, so Ryan had a spare bedroom set up for this exact scenario. He went to bed, and watched a few episodes of Lucifer on Netflix. 

Now, the next day, the 20th, was far from freaking normal. Ryan woke up next to his wife, which sometimes happens. He wakes up to put his arm around his wife, notices that she's not there, and walks his half-sleeping self back to their bedroom. Hey, some of us have been there, right? So, waking up next to his wife when he didn't go to bed next to her was no big deal. The big deal was that it wasn't his home! He, his wife, and son all had beds in a house that wasn't theirs, a house just as eccentric as his own, but it wasn't his.  It's dinner time for my son, so I'll continue this in a bit, as I really haven't said anything yet. 

• Like! 1

So, Ryan, his wife, and his son are in a house that's not theirs. Ryan and his wife were woken by their son, who seemed to have aged 20-some years overnight (because we don't have NPC children). Upon seeing this, Jenn turned to Ryan and said "the hell have you done this time?", which is exactly what she'd say in the real world. 1) Dear ole Ryan is always suspect #1 any time anything weird happens in our house, and 2) the house I build is a little eccentric, similar to myself, so it looks like something I'd build.

So, we get up. Jenn makes Connor breakfast, and I step outside to use my electronic cigarette (vape juice or not, I won't smoke it around my son). Upon stepping outside, Ryan sees nothing but nature as far as the eye can see. Being that Jenn is feeding their adult three year old, Ryan explores a little bit (which I'd do in real life). Nothing but nature, with animals running around. However, he does see a few abandoned shacks (which do occur in the game). He goes back to report to his wife, while pulling some cherries off a tree (bc y'all know, if you were in that situation, you darn well bring food or flowers as a peace offering to your wife, if she suspects that you're to blame for them being in that predicament). Back at the house, the first words out of Jenn's mouth where "This house is too much you; fix it". Ryan had experience with carpentry and masonry, but he couldn't just snap his fingers and build a whole house. However, Jenn said otherwise; above the bedroom was a room full of different stations (carpentry, brick-making, etc). All one had to do was approach the stations with ingredients in hand, push a few buttons, and wham; instant object. This was too bizarre; it defied logic. In addition, where the hell was everyone? There were abandoned shacks, but no sign of mishap or disaster or war. Where they dead? Ryan, at this stage of life, had no concrete beliefs of whether or not deities and afterlife and etc existed. However, he saw a few predators running around outside; it didn't fit any concept of afterlife that he'd ever read about.

One of the reasons why this is fun for me is because it gives me a chance to be introspective. What would I do in this scenario; I'm in a whole new world where my family and I have all of our basic needs met. What I'd do; if my wife and son are there, there might be a chance that other family is there, as well. So, while I may be looking for natives to see if I can find an explanation, my main agenda is family. Ryan does find family; his brother and sister-in-law, Corey and Jenny (yes, both my brother and I have wives named Jennifer, and both those Jennifers are nurses). My brother is a gun rep who loves hunting, so now I have a hunter. As close as my family is, my brother and I would drive each other nuts after living in the same house for more than a week or so. So, how do I house my family and any other survivor/native I can think of? With no town/ civilization in place, I would indeed try to form one. After all, what else is there to do? Hunting and fishing and whatnot are fun, but I'd get bored, and there's only so much euchre one can play. However, the land is so beautiful, it feels bizarre for me just to start plowing and paving over everything. The solution I came up with; subterranean city. My sister in law has her own office and exam rooms on the medical level, a native named Pete is working on the industrial level, I don't currently have any cooks on my galley level, no one's in my armory level, no farmers yet on my agricultural level; these will come when animals and NPCs stop ignoring walls (because they end up trapped between levels, in rock). And then, I remembered that gogo said he liked reading a few of these. So, congratulations, you're the first non-relative/real world friend to be placed in my game. But what to do with Mr. Rommel? At this time, I was working on my Adult zone, which isn't x-rated, it's just a place for adults to go after they put the kids to bed. I have a pool in there that adults can swim without having to keep a watchful eye on their kids, my bar's not established yet, and I have an R-rated theater, which has clips from the the new Robocop and Hot Tub Time Machine on the walls. So, I gave Rommel a suit, and he'll have an option on working anywhere in the adult zone; playing piano in my bar, or working behind the bar itself, or working as a ticketmaster, or...in the other theater, which I should disclose. The other day, some of my fellow former entertainers contacted me; they're trying to get signatures for some...proposition or something like that to end all adult films of that nature. While I'm not exactly proud of that phase in my life, I'm not going to get on some high horse about it. So, to help me come to terms with my own past, I placed an X-rated theater; it's in the Adult Zone, behind a door marked "Midnight Matinee". Because some underage individuals might try to slip in, the outside of the theater looks no different than my other theater. So, Rommil NPC might be offered that position,as well, which is an important role. Because we all know all too well that if underage kids get in that theater, their parents will find out, which means they'll be beating down Ryan's door (once I install homes inside my residential zone.

So, that's a tiny taste of my roleplaying experience in Rising World. It might be a little lackluster for some, but I personally love it. There's always something new for me to add and dream up. Today, for example, I decided to take the roof off my arboretum and instead install a glass ceiling, for natural lighting. I think perhaps tonight I might add homes to my residential zone, or tend to my crops in Wurm Unlimited, I haven't decided yet. Or, maybe a little bit of both. Or, take a break from both of them and watch a new episode or two from the new season of Punisher. Gotta love options :)

• Like! 1