How’s your day going?

Lol well serves you right :P

I've been tearing my hair out with the way Sacred 2's been acting tonight. The amount of times I've had to Alt-Tab to get my screen unfrozen... And I've even had to relog into my Windows account three times because the Alt-Tab trick did not work. Aargh :B6nFRAh:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

Lol well serves you right :P

I've been tearing my hair out with the way Sacred 2's been acting tonight. The amount of times I've had to Alt-Tab to get my screen unfrozen... And I've even had to relog into my Windows account three times because the Alt-Tab trick did not work. Aargh :B6nFRAh:

lol... ahh, Sacred... still can pull the baaaad out of everyone

:oooo:

gogo

12 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I've got something slightly comical. I was over at a friend's house, the news was on the tv. They censored out someone's last name, my friend's kid (maybe like 8 or 9) heard that, and said "whoa, Ryan, that girl's name is bad words!" I laughed and explained why the news does that some times. The boy said "oh.... I wish my name was bad words." I found that funny; what profanity does a child that age know? I made the mistake of asking what he'd like his name to be; he uttered a sequence of words, some of which I'm going to have to look up on urban dictionary since they're new to me. But I learned a lesson about asking a child about their vocabulary. 

Kids LOVE high tension words! Its a way of drawing focus to what the're doing... as soon as a kid learns the word poor or anything like that... he's nigh unstoppable

"4rofl:

gogo

5 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Kids LOVE high tension words! Its a way of drawing focus to what the're doing... as soon as a kid learns the word poor or anything like that... he's nigh unstoppable

"4rofl:

gogo

Mathematics can stop anything.

Parents learn early to do the : 'I'll count till 3 and if....'

I never had to count to three.

Another parents trick:

Don, Donald, Donald John, Mister Donald John Trump... The longer the name used by the parents the more angry the parents are and kids learn early to avoid their second pre-name... Works at least in Germany ;)

Something very nice:

Our fire department got a postcard from Berlin. A girl did a thankyou because a former member of our youth firefighters did a revive of her dad. She said he said that he learned it at our youth firefighters ten years ago.

We have a wall with thankyou's at the department. But all were for our active members. This is the first for a former...

• Like! 1

My day was good. had another 12 hour shift at work, but at least felt accomplished...

All my knives that I use are Victorinox knives. They do make EXCELLENT kitchen knives.

The three that I use the most are like these 3, Chefs knife, serrated/bread knife, serrated pairing knife.

image.png.c5aa6449c501ccb02bf66e548ea066f3.png

• Like! 1
On 9/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, Delta! said:

My day was good. had another 12 hour shift at work, but at least felt accomplished...

All my knives that I use are Victorinox knives. They do make EXCELLENT kitchen knives.

The three that I use the most are like these 3, Chefs knife, serrated/bread knife, serrated pairing knife.

image.png.c5aa6449c501ccb02bf66e548ea066f3.png

oooh.. better than globals?

:D

gogo

The bread knife should be just as big as you need it.

But we have sixpounders oval shaped farmer breads with a hard crust, self made at local baking house. They need a beast of a bread knife. 13inch long blade, the handle slightly turned upward to prevent fingers hitting the cutting board....

The steel is not for machine cleaning however. It is probably a once in a lifetime buy. Something like this:

guede-synchros-brotmesser-kaufen.jpg

Since I have to butcher wild game a lot another working horse is a good boning knife. Handle made from olive wood which is slow growing and anti-bacterial, because again no machine cleaning.

guede-alpha-olive-grosses-ausbeinmesser.

And again for personal needs having fish ponds: a good fillet knife for fish. A flexible blade to allow fine cuts along the backbone of fish.

wuesthof-classic-filiermesser-filetierme

The difference between boning and fillet knife:

Got back home after spending the weekend away in a hotel. Was lovely with nice weather, nice food, a nice stay... What else could we ask for? Well maybe no Covid, but that's a given these days... 

And I just finished up putting a set of spacers on the front and rear axles of my "new" car. Now the wheels are almost flush with the fenders, giving it a wider stance. I'll be taking it into a shop on wednesday to get a set of lowering springs fitted. I'm getting excited :yay:

koiUTs9IvN5vrV0FbvgOWyLJ.jpg

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1
3 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Got back home after spending the weekend away in a hotel. Was lovely with nice weather, nice dood, a nice stay... What else could we ask for? Well maybe no Covid, but that's a given these days... 

And I just finished up putting a set of spacers on the front and rear axles of my "new" car. Now the wheels are almost flush with the fenders, giving it a wider stance. I'll be taking it into a shop on wednesday to get a set of lowering springs fitted. I'm getting excited :yay:

awwww... love this weekend get away Timo... a hotel for the weekend...  New sights, smells and sounds are perfect for battery re energizing.  No matter what, I always try to book some time off with the family just to have a different environment and restore my internal brain's "wiring" 

what a adorable sentiment for you both ! :heart:

And that angle reminds me of our cars in the driveway with my dad ALWAYS at work on the cars after he finished work

:lol:

gogo

@gogoblender the thing is, we weren't even that far away from home at all. We just felt like getting out of the house, away from distractions, and celebrate being together for almost 14 years now (21st is our actual "anniversary"). Worked out just fine :D

Edited by Timotheus
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

@gogoblender the thing is, we weren't even that far away from home at all. We just felt like getting out of the house, away from distractions, and celebrate being together for almost 14 years now (21st is our actual "anniversary"). Worked out just fine :D

Congratulations Timo!! I always remember your posts as celebratory with your other half ... and I’ve always thought that getting away to a gem  close by to where we live is always a smart and imaginative way of giving ourselves a much-needed vacation. 
You build in both the convenience and the escape all at once

🦋

gogo

18 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Got back home after spending the weekend away in a hotel. Was lovely with nice weather, nice food, a nice stay... What else could we ask for? Well maybe no Covid, but that's a given these days... 

Netherlands all is so flat, streets are perfect, ... Here it is:

IMG_20200508_004054.jpg?v=1588892088

Lowering springs :)

I like these roads. None of my daughters ever had a friend with a sportscar .... :)

There was even a market for this build in series, before everyone bought an SUV.

VW-Golf-2-Country-syncro-zum-Verkauf-120

Ahhh the Golf Country Syncro, a classic :resp:

But you're right @chattius, I have absolutely no need for an offroad capable car. Plus the car I drive now has... interesting looks, I will post a before and after when it's done, you'll understand what I mean by interesting. My car is FWD so there's not that much offroad capability there anyway, but especially the rear sits quite high. The lowering springs will make it look more like a regular car, and even out the back - which will drop about 1cm more.

Interesting choice of color on the provided picture of Golf by the way, very similar to mine (which somehow always ends up on the blue side in pictures).

Edited by Timotheus

The last car I bought for myself was a vintage NSU Prinz TTS some years ago ;)

I mainly drive the cars my company gave me. Working with explosives using a plane is frustrating before checkin because you have to explain over and over again that even after 3 showers the explosive gas detector may trigger and you have to do a lot of paperwork to be allowed to pass detectors. Also I can take prototype parts with me when using a car which again are troublesome because they are made by explosive welding and may trigger cargo control.

The company produces some parts for BMW. So the company is mainly giving X-drive BMW's to me. Even it didn't sell well I really like my current BMW 535D GT X-Drive. I even consider to take it from company once the 3 years usage is over in two month.

I like the higher sitting position because it allows better distance view at country roads and I am not really small. Since metal prototypes have lots of weight I am always close to maximum load. The 535D engine has more torque and power than the smaller ones. So in real tests I consume less diesel than with a smaller engine I would have to use at more throttle.

70l tank, and my record is 1108 km before I got a low fuel warning... half through Germany and back.

You like it or you hate it, it is higher than a sports-car, but lower than a SUV. Not the worst aerodynamics so long reach at Autobahn driving is possible.

bmw-5er-gran-turismo-gt-xdrive-allrad-55

• Like! 1

In South Africa any BMW is considered very luxurious vehicles, and it will most likely not be given to an employee... Most often it will be Toyota Corola, Volkswagen Polo, or a more middle class vehicle. You are very lucky to have such a vehicle to drive with Chattius.

My two days, (Monday and Tuesday) has mostly been very chilled and relaxed. 

I generally get my off days then, and I tend to be very lazy. I slept till 10:30 today, and cuddled with my fiance. We got up, both showered and 2 cups of coffee and we have been playing Heroes of might and magic while watching Harry Potter Movies. We progressed to wine after 13:00. We fed our two baby snakes. Bellatrix Lesnake and Princess Yue.

Yesterday I just quickly had to pop in to work to meet the new lady who is joining us in Pastry Kitchen. My fiance and I then went to buy some wine to stock up our wine rack. Then we chilled in the house.

Busy cooking dinner now.

Hope you all had a great few days!?!

The BMW: since flying is a no no... Company wants a car which represents the company when I park it at customers, a solid work horse while still modern. And they want me to arrive relaxed after 4 hours driving. So a Polo is a nono at my size. Company gets lower prices for BMW because we do special demand metal components for them.

---

The evening I was busy with explaining mathematics... My daughter got the theme for her final studies in arboristic: 'Dendrochronology and Global Warming'.  The data on old tree-rings was recalculated and the global warming is hard to ignore on the new calculations. Luckily we have around 50 big discs with tree rings from century old trees cut in the last 15 years. I used to make family-trees from them, pinning needles into the rings when ancestors were born. Now my daughter can use them for own research based on this:

I know one of the authors from my old university

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-020-05433-w

Yeah I have to agree, the GT looks far more reputable in my eyes than a 7series, or those giant X5's or higher. Not a bad choice. 
Though I agree with Theuns as well, depending on the type of business you're in, it might feel over the top seeing someone roll up in a BMW. 

The past few days since the weekend have been all about work. I'm more excited about tomorrow: in the afternoon we'll be taking my car to a garage where it will receive the lowering springs I've mentioned earlier, and while they are being fitted we're going to pop into the movie theater to watch Tenet.

So, time to come clean. My "new" car is a Citroën C4 Cactus. It's 5 years old, and is a manual 96kW BEAST :3lmao:

Anyway, this is what the car looked like when I bought it in Januari:

Js7CabtmIf21eP246NBjVHWr.jpg

And this is what it looks like now, after some subtle mods, the latest of which was done today:

nWpwzdMlf1TynHngQJ1wm5Fe.jpg

The antenna had been swapped to a stubby version, and with the spacers & Eibach springs it sits a little lower (and more level) and wider. The difference in driving is quite noticable, with it feeling a little more communicative and a lot more planted. 

And Tenet was a pretty solid flick! My GF loves Christopher Nolan movies, so this was right up her alley. :thumbsup:It worked out wonderfully: we dropped off the car, went to the town center on our foldable bikes, enjoyed the movie, and I got the call my car was done just as we stepped outside the theater. Lovely!

Edited by Timotheus
  • zomgod! 1
4 hours ago, Timotheus said:

So, time to come clean. My "new" car is a Citroën C4 Cactus. It's 5 years old, and is a manual 96kW BEAST :3lmao:

Anyway, this is what the car looked like when I bought it in Januari:

Js7CabtmIf21eP246NBjVHWr.jpg

And this is what it looks like now, after some subtle mods, the latest of which was done today:

nWpwzdMlf1TynHngQJ1wm5Fe.jpg

The antenna had been swapped to a stubby version, and with the spacers & Eibach springs it sits a little lower (and more level) and wider. The difference in driving is quite noticable, with it feeling a little more communicative and a lot more planted. 

And Tenet was a pretty solid flick! My GF loves Christopher Nolan movies, so this was right up her alley. :thumbsup:It worked out wonderfully: we dropped off the car, went to the town center on our foldable bikes, enjoyed the movie, and I got the call my car was done just as we stepped outside the theater. Lovely!

Im usually not such a fan of cars, but the colors, styling and rims are SHARP... we just saw Tenet last night as well...YES LONG... and soooo loud..but its a "solid" film... right from get go, this is a substantic score,the main character is so fresh, what a great role and solid surprises over and over coming form their last minute ideas... im absolutely sure noone in the audience had any idea what was happening in the last forty minutes

:lol:

gogo

• Thanks! 1

I like blue as a colour for a countryside car. Autumn with its colourful leaves leaves only blue as a non natural easy to see colour. People who say that orange, bright red or yellow would be easy to see warning colours for a car never drove a countryroad with autumn leaves at deep sun.

Citroen. I bought a 8th hand Citroen 16 years ago - as a light transporter which was so cheap that it wouldn't matter if it would break. Now the prices for used Citroen 2CV kinda exploded.

Ebay says 10500€ for the one on the picture. I got mine for 300 16 years ago... Currently it is in use by our new AuPair girl. She has to visit a translator school. We used colour foil to hide its age. The engine cover is blue also the load area. This is to be better seen. The sides are turquoise, the canvas roof red, around the wheels it is yellow... Much like a Volkswagen Harlequin. It has two small windows in the door frame for better view when parking. Cut them in when our oldest learned driving with it and claimed that at her size the backward look was blocked by the frame. 410000km, and its so easy to reapir, no electronics.

It's normal use is to transport hay and stray to the horses. Since there are fences the kids can drive it because it are not public accessable roads.

But as soon the prices climb higher I have to reconsider it ;)

$_59.JPG