Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Like the weather thread, I meant this to be an open-to-all topic where you can drop a few lines you think are not topic-worthy, but need to get out of your system nonetheless :)

I’ll start off with my past week: we are selling our house and going back to renting an appartment. In a few years time, we are looking to move back to the city we’ve grown up in, so we want to be more flexible.

Things are crazy right now and I’m looking forward to settle down somewhere again and be able to live in our own place again. Right now it feels like living in a museum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to spend 8 stupid hours on Saturday -which would have been spend with family- to learn what changes a hard BREXIT will bring to contracts we have with British companies: taxes, customers duties, British or European law, ...

asterix-die-spinnen-die-briten-brexit.jp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chattius said:

Had to spend 8 stupid hours on Saturday -which would have been spend with family- to learn what changes a hard BREXIT will bring to contracts we have with British companies: taxes, customers duties, British or European law, ...

asterix-die-spinnen-die-briten-brexit.jp

 

I hear ya...im having to spend hours now on arrangements my uncle had made for my Ammamma years ago, and its looking to be like hours of work... I've never done anything like this before in my life, its saddening but long work at the same time... Course we just visited her two days ago and she's so happy looking... 94 and strong

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, Timotheus said:

Like the weather thread, I meant this to be an open-to-all topic where you can drop a few lines you think are not topic-worthy, but need to get out of your system nonetheless :)

I’ll start off with my past week: we are selling our house and going back to renting an appartment. In a few years time, we are looking to move back to the city we’ve grown up in, so we want to be more flexible.

Things are crazy right now and I’m looking forward to settle down somewhere again and be able to live in our own place again. Right now it feels like living in a museum!

Museum? Really? Is your house really that big and distant feeling? You know, I live in central city Montreal... ( this is a great discussion btw :D) and my Mom is always pushing me to get a house... very old school parental thinking...but thing is, I'm only 18 minutes by Metro to work from where we live...and I walk five minutes to the metro from our Apartment and just coast to work...I can usually get a few minutes  of gaming done on the way in to work muhaha :devil:   I actually love renting... for MTL where we live the costs are extremely controlled...and we have heat, hot water included for less than 500 CAD a month...my internet is 30 a month and hydro is like 25...it allows me so put away money monthly ( lol I guess kind of like a mortgage) and my closeness to work makes this a small miracle.  

I have  cousin who drives 1 hr 20 min to work every day pulls in more than nine hours of work and then that same drive back home along long treacherous and very often icy highways.. dunno how he does it, but that kind of travel to work just drops me in horror

:oooo:

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gogoblender Well it's not ginormous or anything, it's a generic three-story house. But the housing market in our city right now... :twitch: That, and we are contemplating moving back south (with kids maybe in our future). So we are looking for an apartment for the time being, since it's easier in the upkeep and everything, and easier when we want to move back near our families. 

I would love to live for your prices by the by. Our cost of living is easily double that amount, and you could change the currency to EUR after that. I think in total we pay like ~1300 euro a month for our home, electricity and water bills, internet and home insurances. That's without food and all...

@chattius thankfully our company does not do business with any overseas parties... I can only imagine the "fun" times you're having right now! :scare2:

Edited by Timotheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow. We are paying R 9000.00 for a two bedroom town house. we have a small courtyard at the back, one and a half bathrooms, small sitting room that we never use and where we keep extra books on the shelves, the sweet wine, dvd's and our pet Snake, Dexter, a large area of kitchen, but very little counter space. We got it semi furnished. but the small plus point is, it is close to everything in Franschhoek (a little hamlet where everything is close and within 25min max walking distance, so I walk to work quite often, and it takes me 18min there (more uphill) and about 15min back. At night, walking back helps me switch off and calm down in the stillness. We pay another R750 (I think) for internet and R300 for electricity.

But Franschhoek is expensive over all, because it can't really expand. The Wine farms do not want to sell their land, and the community board does not want to allow high rise buildings. the infra structure also would not be able to handle an extremely larger permanent population. So the land owners know that they can hike the prices up sky high and people will pay... sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franschhoek

 

My day was good. I found out last minute that I am off tomorrow. my shifts got changed, because we have a conference from the 6th - 8th, and they just cannot function and prepare anything for them if their pastry chef is not there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah a day off isn’t that bad! Unless the shift change messes something up though :tongue2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 45 am...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...*stubs toe in the dark*

:eek:

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cooling-off period has officially ended, so the house will be sold if the buyers are able to get the mortgage. Exciting times.

....and I’m oogling a laptop. :girl_sigh:

How was your day off @Delta!?

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Cooling-off period has officially ended, so the house will be sold if the buyers are able to get the mortgage. Exciting times.

....and I’m oogling a laptop. :girl_sigh:

How was your day off @Delta!?

My day was good thank you Timo.

Relaxed, cleaned the house a bit, played some games, drank some wine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Cooling-off period has officially ended, so the house will be sold if the buyers are able to get the mortgage. Exciting times.

....and I’m oogling a laptop. :girl_sigh:

How was your day off @Delta!?

oooh, laptop...whatcha looking for ! we're all about laptops these days

:D

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And... much like Theuns, I'm super chilling today, gonna spend some lovely time writing posts and doing some internet work and then... 

nap!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:gogo:

 

gogo

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent the day napping and chilling out as well.. grabbed a burger at Five Guys when I went to do some groceries :sweating: 

@gogoblender In a week and a half I am picking up a second hand Dell in a town a little ways out of our way, Intel I7 quadcore / 16GB ram / GTX1060 / 256GB SSD.

It was a deal too good to pass on, and I was already planning to sell off my gaming pc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my  life insurances is ending end of the month. Signed it when I was at army and unmarried. It had a very high interest rate and was running 25 years and with around 300 Euro a month. Insurance company always wanted to cancel the contract because today it's like you have to pay the bank to have your money. Luckily the contract was water proofed. Now kids and wife are discussing what to do with MY money....

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, chattius said:

One of my  life insurances is ending end of the month. Signed it when I was at army and unmarried. It had a very high interest rate and was running 25 years and with around 300 Euro a month. Insurance company always wanted to cancel the contract because today it's like you have to pay the bank to have your money. Luckily the contract was water proofed. Now kids and wife are discussing what to do with MY money....

 

So if your insurance ends the money gets freed up and returned to you? Is that how that works? Or are you talking about the 300 bucks you save now? 

Edited by Timotheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chattius said:

One of my  life insurances is ending end of the month. Signed it when I was at army and unmarried. It had a very high interest rate and was running 25 years and with around 300 Euro a month. Insurance company always wanted to cancel the contract because today it's like you have to pay the bank to have your money. Luckily the contract was water proofed. Now kids and wife are discussing what to do with MY money....

 

Well, you could purchase this with YOUR money, Chattius.

 

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Spent the day napping and chilling out as well.. grabbed a burger at Five Guys when I went to do some groceries :sweating: 

@gogoblender In a week and a half I am picking up a second hand Dell in a town a little ways out of our way, Intel I7 quadcore / 16GB ram / GTX1060 / 256GB SSD.

It was a deal too good to pass on, and I was already planning to sell off my gaming pc. 

Love second hand dells! Was it a enterprise refurbished? My friend got a 2011 eleven model and the things a tank, able to run windows, so its very useful but not so fast, also the battery is problematic with cells that old... I think he had a latittude

yours?

 

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hooyaah *drools*

@gogoblender it’s a Dell Inspiron actually, and it’s a proper second hand lol ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad. I already bought a second hand HP Z420 for 380 Euro in decembre. Kids say it has nearly enough computer power to use it for playing with LEGO robots. 3 monitors connected and this free education software from Fraunhofer Institute.

And I was mean and nasty. Instead of a gaming keyboard it has a medical one. You can wash and desinfect it. 

 

 

  • Like! 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My day's going very well! It's my first day as DarkMatters member, I ate pizza for dinner, it's Sunday, ecc...

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mare said:

My day's going very well! It's my first day as DarkMatters member, I ate pizza for dinner, it's Sunday, ecc...

we LOVES pizza! In fact, there's a small pizzeria not far from my place down the hill, five minute walk, and they sell by the slice and often have specials for a medium ...we ordered bacon, itlian suace and mushrooms just a few days ago...Kayumbo!

57222914996__E85579A4-4A22-4E54-A810-95FBDD05F43C.jpg

:)

 

gogo

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

we LOVES pizza! In fact, there's a small pizzeria not far from my place down the hill, five minute walk, and they sell by the slice and often have specials for a medium ...we ordered bacon, itlian suace and mushrooms just a few days ago...Kayumbo!

 

I can't take a photo, it's too late now! I had one with ham, eggs, spicy salami and sausages. It was almost hard to finish !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mare said:

I can't take a photo, it's too late now! I had one with ham, eggs, spicy salami and sausages. It was almost hard to finish !!!

those toppings are wild and ingenious

did you buy that at at store or create it on your own?

oooh, fellow fodie

:D

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered it in a pizeria just 5 km from my home! I always have pizza there.

:cool:

Edited by Mare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eggs on a pizza?

was he sauce a tomato sauce or cream?

and how are the eggs prepared, sliced and boiled or...in some other manner?

does the place you order from have a web site?

Maybe I can have a gander at the pizza via that

:D

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×