How’s your day going?

16 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

and how are the eggs prepared, sliced and boiled or...in some other manner?

You can put on it a hard-boiled egg or a fried egg.

16 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

does the place you order from have a web site?

Maybe I can have a gander at the pizza via that

Unfortunately, Asti's quite far from Montreal :). However, they haven't a website. 

;)

Edited by Mare
grammar

Struggling with my job at the moment. The lack of independence shown by a fair few of my co-workers, and being /the/ guy when there’s trouble brewing has me feeling annoyed. Combined with feeling uninspired and basically desinterested in everything, I don’t know where I want to be r/n.

On the plus side: I fixed a broken iPhone today.

6 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Struggling with my job at the moment. The lack of independence shown by a fair few of my co-workers, and being /the/ guy when there’s trouble brewing has me feeling annoyed. Combined with feeling uninspired and basically desinterested in everything, I don’t know where I want to be r/n.

On the plus side: I fixed a broken iPhone today.

Workers at work...I know that feeling

it sucks

I can relate to  being reached for when trouble's brewing...but I kind of take it as a compliment that people feel that they can come to me, confide and discuss.  After 8 years with the phone company (omgod, :eek: I've slowly rolled into one of the seniors, and I"ve discovered that most folks dont take it as seriously as I do, or, in fact take just being happy seriously.  

Maybe you need a get away or vacay? You just did a huge house move and thats kind of stressing...maybe some time decopressing somewhere under the hands of a good chop-action massage to hammer away bad energies would be an awesome respite for you both :dance:

And gratz on the iphone repair! Do you use iphone, or are you Android? I was so sucked into Android for years when the nexus five came out, but after seeing how well facetime works on devices for my family all over the globe, just got addicted to Apple's Ecosystem... 

yeeks... I'm a lost cause!~

:lol:

gogo

My day was good, very busy and stretched out.... 

We where only 3 chefs in the kitchen, running breakfast service for a full hotel, lunch when they took guests from outside, the most senior person in the department also has to place and sign in the orders, go to morning and afternoon meetings, update the department on what is happening for the day (the staff currently at work, staff coming in on a late shift, and even those that are off), write lunch menu's(for early shift, dinner menu's for Late shift), ensure that the department is properly run for the shift. The early shift can not go home until the kitchen is cleaned for the late shift, all handovers are given to late shift about dietaries/likes/wants/needs (in the sense of meals) and those are all catered to...

... as the pastry chef, I also have to ensure there are 2 desserts options for the evening(if the whole hotel changes over, and there are absolutely no repeat guests from the previous night, then I am allowed to use the same desserts as the previous night.)  otherwise I have to pull two new dessert out between 16;00 and "17:00" and then people ask me "why are you still here?" 'well you know, I still have work to finish' 

but I got home from an 11hour shift, and opened a bottle of wine, ended up finishing it while having dinner, watched Friends, and posted on DarkMatters

• Like! 1

Sounds like a rough day Delta, I bet it felt good being able to put your feet up.

Sitrep: no change really. 

@gogoblender we haven’t moved houses yet! We are looking at a place on Monday though. We’re heading out for the weekend, a quick trip to London. Not the best timing though. 

The phone I sort-of-fixed is an old iphone 5c. The screen was fubar so I replaced it. I might start using it again, but it needs a new battery as well. 

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

Sounds like a rough day Delta, I bet it felt good being able to put your feet up.

Sitrep: no change really. 

@gogoblender we haven’t moved houses yet! We are looking at a place on Monday though. We’re heading out for the weekend, a quick trip to London. Not the best timing though. 

The phone I sort-of-fixed is an old iphone 5c. The screen was fubar so I replaced it. I might start using it again, but it needs a new battery as well. 

hmmm, can u guys get ifixit to help for 29 bux?  its an older iphone so Apple will charge normal/expensive...but ifixit is stepping up apparently:

https://ifixit.org/blog/9491/apple-batterygate/

also gluck on that house move, man moving is so exhausting...but that quick trip out will do you guys good... energize you two! :gogo:

:)

gogo

2 hours ago, Delta! said:

My day was good, very busy and stretched out.... 

We where only 3 chefs in the kitchen, running breakfast service for a full hotel, lunch when they took guests from outside, the most senior person in the department also has to place and sign in the orders, go to morning and afternoon meetings, update the department on what is happening for the day (the staff currently at work, staff coming in on a late shift, and even those that are off), write lunch menu's(for early shift, dinner menu's for Late shift), ensure that the department is properly run for the shift. The early shift can not go home until the kitchen is cleaned for the late shift, all handovers are given to late shift about dietaries/likes/wants/needs (in the sense of meals) and those are all catered to...

... as the pastry chef, I also have to ensure there are 2 desserts options for the evening(if the whole hotel changes over, and there are absolutely no repeat guests from the previous night, then I am allowed to use the same desserts as the previous night.)  otherwise I have to pull two new dessert out between 16;00 and "17:00" and then people ask me "why are you still here?" 'well you know, I still have work to finish' 

but I got home from an 11hour shift, and opened a bottle of wine, ended up finishing it while having dinner, watched Friends, and posted on DarkMatters

zomgod Theuns, I read your writing and I just imagine myself again in the kitchen at the restaurant... both deliriously  exciting and scary at the same time :4rofl:  Those late nights add up and those long shifts...well they're just long :blink:

Enjoy that glass of wine, and, as always ...thank you for the always satisfying to read and thoughtful post,  

gogo

About the life insurance: we have two sorts. A Risiko-Lebensversicherung pays only in case you die but has quite low monthly costs. The normal Lebensversicherung (life insurance) pays when you die or the contract Ends and costs a lot more.

When I started it part of the monthly costs were paid from state (first army then at University as assistant teacher). The annual interest rate was 8%. when I signed. So it is some money after all these years. I was a frew times considering to end it earlier when I needed money: married, first kid , repairing house … 

Today german wikipedia is down because they protest against new European Copyright laws. Many forum owners decide to put their forums down too for today. New laws will demand an upload filter for copyright protected material. Forum laws for members that only copyright free material can be uploaded will not be enough.. People on a photo will have to agree with it before you can load it into a forum because a digital photo will be considered a data set. ...

So if you try to take a photo of a cathedrale and there is a couple kissing on the steps in front you will have to ask them if they could be identified on the picture and are an important part of the picture. If yes and they say no you are not allowed to do the photo. Even if it is the only hour you are in Rome or London as a tourist.

My daughter uses my old analog Leica's and and more often the Rolleiflexes because of it. Sauna can be quickly transformed into a darkroom for developing black and white pictures. Even with the analog Leica some people think it is a digital one and may demand stop shooting. So the old double eyed Rolleiflex hanging at he belly  with the finder on top makes the least problems. My daughter says people look puzzled if they are told by her to turn their smartphone off because my daughter doesn't want them to do a data set from her. The law dosn't differ between using a camera or a smartphone. The only question is digital or analog.

So what will Police do if Google glasses are sold in a big amount. Checking each Person with glasses if they can do photos with them and if yes taking the glasses away and have them running around nearly blind?

I fear there is a brain damaging infection around and some politicians have them. With all the conferences they have to join it spreads like a wildfire and all the politicians are going to be mad sooner or later. 

lilian-portrait.jpg

• Appreciation 1
On 3/21/2019 at 5:39 AM, chattius said:

Today german wikipedia is down because they protest against new European Copyright laws. Many forum owners decide to put their forums down too for today. New laws will demand an upload filter for copyright protected material. Forum laws for members that only copyright free material can be uploaded will not be enough.. People on a photo will have to agree with it before you can load it into a forum because a digital photo will be considered a data set. ...

So if you try to take a photo of a cathedrale and there is a couple kissing on the steps in front you will have to ask them if they could be identified on the picture and are an important part of the picture. If yes and they say no you are not allowed to do the photo. Even if it is the only hour you are in Rome or London as a tourist.

My daughter uses my old analog Leica's and and more often the Rolleiflexes because of it. Sauna can be quickly transformed into a darkroom for developing black and white pictures. Even with the analog Leica some people think it is a digital one and may demand stop shooting. So the old double eyed Rolleiflex hanging at he belly  with the finder on top makes the least problems. My daughter says people look puzzled if they are told by her to turn their smartphone off because my daughter doesn't want them to do a data set from her. The law dosn't differ between using a camera or a smartphone. The only question is digital or analog.

So what will Police do if Google glasses are sold in a big amount. Checking each Person with glasses if they can do photos with them and if yes taking the glasses away and have them running around nearly blind?

I fear there is a brain damaging infection around and some politicians have them. With all the conferences they have to join it spreads like a wildfire and all the politicians are going to be mad sooner or later. 

lilian-portrait.jpg

I was reading about this Chattius, and I was also seeing that the German site that also supports Sacred, Sacred Legends has/had also turned off the juice in protest.  This is tricky business.  And while I understand that people may not like the idea of ubiquitous and ultimate transparency/sharing/encroachment... it seems like we're trying to stop the sun from setting and tommorrow from turning... as everyone gets more and more tech that allows them to "record" and "remember" to the net permanently I cant see anything but everything being subsumed into the meta universe of  Data

gogo

6 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I was offered a free trip to tour Chernobyl. Besides a few video games and movies, I'm fairly ignorant as to how dangerous that place still is. I looked at a variety of tour sites. One blurb said "radiation levels in most areas are low enough that visitors can safely spend a day or two in the exclusion zone with less exposure to radiation than on a transatlantic flight". Ok. But dude, Chernobyl is a nuclear freaking disaster zone. "thousands of construction workers, support staff and engineers rotating in and out of the now-defunct plant to ensure its radioactive contents don’t seep further into the land and air." Cool, but that doesn't make me feel much safer."Be warned, wear long sleeves and long pants, and don’t touch or sit on anything (radioactivity collects on the ground). Note that visitors need to pass through a final radiation screening before leaving the exclusion zone. If your pants register high levels of radioactivity you can leave, but your pants can’t". And then some dingy journalist says blah blah blah, had to carry a geiger counter blah blah, could only stay at the abandoned hospital for a tiny time because the winds picked up blah blah" but under the next paragraph, it shows a picture of her holding what's supposedly a stray dog that she found haphazardly milling around. Naw, man, that's conflicting info. Too much conflicting info. "It's safe enough that 40,000 each year visit"....... nope, you can live out your Fallout: New Vegas and Commonwealth fantasies, my butt's staying on the beach this summer, watching a few dolphin shows, and going to a few gem stores, where I don't have to worry about whether or not my pants will be too radioactive to come home with me. 

I had read that this area was still highly radioactive... and you were offered a free tour? Who offered this... lol? :blink:  like... flight and hotel, and radioactivity all included?

:oooo:

gogo

7 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I was offered a free trip to tour Chernobyl. Besides a few video games and movies, I'm fairly ignorant as to how dangerous that place still is. I looked at a variety of tour sites. One blurb said "radiation levels in most areas are low enough that visitors can safely spend a day or two in the exclusion zone with less exposure to radiation than on a transatlantic flight". Ok. But dude, Chernobyl is a nuclear freaking disaster zone. "thousands of construction workers, support staff and engineers rotating in and out of the now-defunct plant to ensure its radioactive contents don’t seep further into the land and air." Cool, but that doesn't make me feel much safer."Be warned, wear long sleeves and long pants, and don’t touch or sit on anything (radioactivity collects on the ground). Note that visitors need to pass through a final radiation screening before leaving the exclusion zone. If your pants register high levels of radioactivity you can leave, but your pants can’t". And then some dingy journalist says blah blah blah, had to carry a geiger counter blah blah, could only stay at the abandoned hospital for a tiny time because the winds picked up blah blah" but under the next paragraph, it shows a picture of her holding what's supposedly a stray dog that she found haphazardly milling around. Naw, man, that's conflicting info. Too much conflicting info. "It's safe enough that 40,000 each year visit"....... nope, you can live out your Fallout: New Vegas and Commonwealth fantasies, my butt's staying on the beach this summer, watching a few dolphin shows, and going to a few gem stores, where I don't have to worry about whether or not my pants will be too radioactive to come home with me. 

That area is surreal and a bit spooky, what with the abandoned amusement park that was scheduled to open mere days after the disaster occurred. There are also dolls and other items and personal effects left behind as if all the people suddenly and inexplicably vanished. Perhaps, therein lies the allure to visitors world-wide.

• Like! 1
4 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

That area is surreal and a bit spooky, what with the abandoned amusement park that was scheduled to open mere days after the disaster occurred. There are also dolls and other items and personal effects left behind as if all the people suddenly and inexplicably vanished. Perhaps, therein lies the allure to visitors world-wide.

I'm also kind of fascinated by urbex as well, and the complete evacuation of that area makes for emotionally charged contemplation... like that tragedy that happened in pennsylvania where the underground mines got set on fire and the entire town's residents fled with the town sinking down under and its still on fire today

... I think they made a movie of it too?

goog

14 hours ago, chattius said:

My wife had birthday yesterday and our oldest and her husband had a rocking chair, knitting needles and wool as a present…

Now I feel really old.

awwww, Chattius...  golden years friend!

:hugs:

gogo

Sorry for late response. Gogo, a friend bought tickets and couldn't go. I can't go anyway, it'd be foolish to bring a four year old to a place like that. Aside from that, I'm kind of torn as far as whether or not I'd go.

12 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

Sorry for late response. Gogo, a friend bought tickets and couldn't go. I can't go anyway, it'd be foolish to bring a four year old to a place like that. Aside from that, I'm kind of torn as far as whether or not I'd go.

Russia is cool, radioactivity though...

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

I visited a special fire fighting training at Sunday: how to handle a burning electro car. Last year we learned how to secure batteries if the car is not already burning. This year we trained for a way worse scenario: a burning electro car. Alarmed by articles like 35 firefighters needed to extinguish a burning Tesla we had to be creative. I was shown the redboxx (special container) and special chemicals.

And this was not even close to a worst case scenerario. The car hit the concrete barrier and was slowed alot by pushing the barrier for some metres. So the car was more or less still intact and batteries were not exposed to the open. The highway allowed access from all sides. Worst case at our place would be a head to head collision of two cars with the cars torn apart, all happening on a forest road in a dry summer.

A burning e-car needs like 11tons of water to cool the batteries to avoid explosions. We are volunteer firefighters in a small village. Our biggest water truck can store 2 tons. One solution would be to mix the water with special chemicals. But since we can't predict if the next fire will be an e-car, a forest, a house, … This was a no no, we don't don't have the trucks and men to be prepared for all.

What we have are 2 old trucks used for containers with a crane and 12 containers for 4 tons of water with pumps and power. They were planed for big forest fires. We also have open top containers we use for cleaning up a scene. 

So what our local department  trained before I visited the special schooling was: use the crane to lift the car into a water tight open top container and then flood the container. All can be done by 6 people. The catalogue for fire departments shows a lot of special solutions and ideas, but none of them is in the money or People limit we have in our village. No idea how to handle a multiple car crash with e-cars. I told my men and women: rescue the people and let the cars burn. 

I spoke to the state chief in firefighting and that we are a too small department for the stuff shown at the special training lessions. He said that being creative is currently still a valid solution and most important paid by firefighters accident insurance if FECAL MATTER! happens.

So if you plan to buy an e-cart: avoid driving country side, at least around our 124 People village.

• zomgod! 1
On 4/8/2019 at 5:27 AM, chattius said:

I visited a special fire fighting training at Sunday: how to handle a burning electro car. Last year we learned how to secure batteries if the car is not already burning. This year we trained for a way worse scenario: a burning electro car. Alarmed by articles like 35 firefighters needed to extinguish a burning Tesla we had to be creative. I was shown the redboxx (special container) and special chemicals.

And this was not even close to a worst case scenerario. The car hit the concrete barrier and was slowed alot by pushing the barrier for some metres. So the car was more or less still intact and batteries were not exposed to the open. The highway allowed access from all sides. Worst case at our place would be a head to head collision of two cars with the cars torn apart, all happening on a forest road in a dry summer.

A burning e-car needs like 11tons of water to cool the batteries to avoid explosions. We are volunteer firefighters in a small village. Our biggest water truck can store 2 tons. One solution would be to mix the water with special chemicals. But since we can't predict if the next fire will be an e-car, a forest, a house, … This was a no no, we don't don't have the trucks and men to be prepared for all.

What we have are 2 old trucks used for containers with a crane and 12 containers for 4 tons of water with pumps and power. They were planed for big forest fires. We also have open top containers we use for cleaning up a scene. 

So what our local department  trained before I visited the special schooling was: use the crane to lift the car into a water tight open top container and then flood the container. All can be done by 6 people. The catalogue for fire departments shows a lot of special solutions and ideas, but none of them is in the money or People limit we have in our village. No idea how to handle a multiple car crash with e-cars. I told my men and women: rescue the people and let the cars burn. 

I spoke to the state chief in firefighting and that we are a too small department for the stuff shown at the special training lessions. He said that being creative is currently still a valid solution and most important paid by firefighters accident insurance if FECAL MATTER! happens.

So if you plan to buy an e-cart: avoid driving country side, at least around our 124 People village.

Like nuclear reactors running round on wheels...  tech is scary... the future is scary...

gogo

What was really scary in february was when the chain of my chainsaw desintegrated into a burst of splinters. It hit a fragment from a world war 2 bomb which was overgrown by the tree's bark. Luckily I was wearing full protection gear, but I was thinking mainly of bullets from machine guns, not a 20cm Splinter.  Most bombing in my area was done by low level bombers with no target photo cameras. So there are not much pictures which show where the bombs fell, mainly from high Level bombing. The place I worked was not showing any bomb crates on old pictures.

The sawmill in neighbour village installed a big metal detector to save their machines from damage. The forest there was hit a lot because of world war 2 bunkers which hosted surface air missiles.