How’s your day going?

15 hours ago, Delta! said:

yeah... he gets to go off to the nice warm, hot and humid weather, and I have to be stuck in cold South Africa... at least I have the Kitty (we call him Kitteh) Piper to keep me "warm" at night... I actually have an electric blanket now, but he does not know that... he thinks that he is the hero to come and save me from the cold while purring like a jet engine...

My Fiance does not mind, but he is not so fond of the cruise ships. He hates being apart. I manage to deal with it better. The house is clean, I do not have to clean up after other people....but I do miss him very much...

It's funny how we all begin to think and muse about the humans in our life...

thats our lives... the human connection...

if we dont have it... perdition ...there is no bigger meaning to life

got that from the Netflix Sci Fi Movie "IO"...and it has since just been bouncing about in my head...hopefully leaving behind some goodness

:lol:

gogo

• 6 months later...

Today in news: person found a WW2 bomb in a neighbour village forest. Asked in social media what it would be, gave the position. When hearing a bomb he informed the police. When the police arrived someone had took the bomb already, ...

• zomgod! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

Today in news: person found a WW2 bomb in a neighbour village forest. Asked in social media what it would be, gave the position. When hearing a bomb he informed the police. When the police arrived someone had took the bomb already, ...

Can never trust human's motives... this saddens me... hoping for best of here and maybe one who took it is a war souvenirs collector... :blink:

gogo

Yes. I visited a worldwar museum with the kids 3 times now just to show how bombs and granates look if nearly totally covered with earth and leaves. While towns were mainly attacked by high level flights with target fotos the bunkers here were attacked by low level fighter bombers without fotos. So no fotos and if: the fotos weren't released for decades after the war...

If I got it right: a Lancaster bomber with a canadian crew was intercepted by a nightfighter with upward firing guns. The fighter flew signtly behind and below the starboard wing of the bomber and aimed for an engine.  Aiming for the mid and hitting a bomb wouldn't have been a good idea. The bomber did an emergency release of the bomb load to stay long enough in flight to have the crew leaving the plane with parachutes. The bomber crashed some miles away when the burning wing dismounted.

The bomb load were incinary bombs. So many but very small ones with a phosphore filling. It was one of these small ones.

We have several phosphore incidents in Germany each year. Mainly because old WW2 ammunition was sunk in the baltic sea and the containers break now. Phosphore is washed to the beach and has an oxid and mud crust. Tourists think it are nice colourful stones and put in the pockets of their trousers... outch once the crust is broken.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, chattius said:

Two weeks ago we got a video from our daughter playing wheelchair basketball. Our second is studying robotics and medicine. She is planing to specialize in artificial limbs for handicapped people. She watched some of them playing wheelchair basketball. She was asked to join because of not enough people and she said yes. She must have been good because the captain asked where she learned it. She was in a wheelchair several month each year after skin transplantations and scar treatments and was youth league in handball and soccer before the accident but never played wheelchair basketball before.

She mailed that she was sad to say no to the offer to join the university team. Studying two disciplines leaves not much spare time for training.

Today another mail: Seems the basketball team had contacted her med professor and he told her that the hours in training would count as practical work with handicapped people and the scars and muscle injuries allowing a 4.5 rating...

Its great that she has that empathy... what a tuff time she went through but happy she's so healthy and fit

:)

gogo

And.. to keep this topic... on topic... what a fun goofy day we had today...im visiting mom, and wanted to pick up some stuff... my office has built a new gym for the employees... 20 bux a day AND includes all yoga and weight courses!

Im stoked and ready to get a good summer goin!

gogo

tod.jpg

• Like! 1

Because forests roads still blocked by branches I use my ancient BMW GS bike to drive to work. Driving a heavy cross-country bike off road is enough training each day. ;)

8 hours ago, gogoblender said:

And.. to keep this topic... on topic... what a fun goofy day we had today...im visiting mom, and wanted to pick up some stuff... my office has built a new gym for the employees... 20 bux a day AND includes all yoga and weight courses!

20 Euro, funnily that is the price for the most used training item of our daughter: a Pezzi-Ball. Her student appartment has the computer chair removed and a pezziball. Used for sitting and exercises.

Then a Bosu-Ball, practical a half pezzi with a board as the other half, for balance training.

Several Pedalo's - they are for balance training.

Starting with one like this

Pedalo_Reha.jpg

with the poles removed up to 3 kids can use it together. Training in a group is more fun

pedalo-Combi-mit-Kindern_600x600.jpg

With some training you can use a 3-wheel pedalo outdoors with big airfilled tyres. With these ones you can do slalom and curves.

The board where your foot is on has only one axis and not too. So the weight is not on your whole foot but only on the front.

Very good training for ligaments. Very common at handball training.

Pezzi was the first who build these balls. So we say Pezzi-Ball. You can read the Original Pezzi on the picture.

In the USA it is more often called Swiss-Ball or Gym Ball.

image_8822_1.jpg

Bosu- Ball. You can use it with the half ball up, or the board up.

bosu-ball-workout-klara-fuchs-fitnessblo

7 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Its great that she has that empathy... what a tuff time she went through but happy she's so healthy and fit 

Yes. Most of the treatment was in Munich, so half of Germany laying in between. The twins were young and so we never could spend the amount of time we wanted at her hospital site. Was at her second big surgery when she noticed that she won't get this good at sport again. But while training the injured muscle  she noticed that other kids were more handicapped. She helped with training them and when back home she said that she would like to work with handicapped kids: bow shooting, music, vaulting, ...

At a school project in10th class with LEGO robots she was working on an artificial hand... At her 10th class she changed school to an integrated one: getting license for university in robotics while same time learning on job as orthopaedic prothesis maker.

• Like! 1

The math is pretty strong for me to pick up a machine for home... but I'm really craving and missing connecting to a physical fitness social network after so many years.  I couldn't think of a day without getting to a gym years ago...but ever since we moved to this new apartment there's just been nothing near that would come in under travel time of thirty minutes.  The strange situation is now that I remove work from home five days a week, I actually have to leave my place at 16 00 to get back to the office to use the gym

:lol:

gogo

Never visited a gym for more than 20 years now. I remember them as mainly muscle and fitness training. They had pretty expensive equipment and when I asked for ligament training after a dislocated shoulder they had no exercise for it. Weights are nice training, as long both your arms or legs work the same.

The items listed last post help to strengthen the ligaments and muscles needed for balance. So less likely to get injuries while stumbling walking offroad or at sports which need quick changes in direction. I think that my normal activities each day are enough for muscle training. But I am lazy on injury prevention. Wife: 'We are grandparents now. If we want to playing catch with grandchildren we need a lot of balance training!'.

;)

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I think everything's going to be ok, if we follow protocols, use common sense, and keep a level head. Yeah, these are freaky times, but when, in the last 40 years, haven't times been freaky somehow (being only 40, I can't speak from first-hand experience any further back than that)? Let's see, in the late 80s, Greg Louganis cracked his head on the diving board at the Olympics, and everyone freaked out about Aids, like it was a Hollywood monster, lurking in the shadows. Hell, it could even get you while you sat on the toilet! In the early 90s, there was that panic about the tainted cigarettes; the ones that were supposedly pink-tinged in the filters. And then, school made it sound like MDMA was going to kill my whole generation. After that, kids dressed in trench coats shot the hell out of their highschool. And then , there was the dreaded Y2K bug that was going to destroy all computers and send us back to the stone age. I was in the military when 9-11 happened, but I'm sure it was as scary for some of you as it was me. Bird flu, swine flu, Lyme from mosquitoes,flue period. Ya know, if I made this rhyme, I could do a "We didn't start the fire; part 2". I am making fun of nothing, nor am I making light of nothing. However, my friends, looking back at the history of crud, I have a strong feeling that we shall persevere. :)

In regular, non-Covid news, I've had my first Miller High Life in.....dang, almost 20 years. I'm not saying I haven't drank since then, not just Miller High Life. In fact, it was right around this time, in 2002, when I had my last one. I remember being stationed at Camp Pendleton, sitting around a camp fire on the beach in Oceanside, CA, a local telling us that Layne Staley had just been found dead. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer; my point is: isn't it funny how a song or a smell or a beverage you haven't had in forever can instantly reverse the clock, and you're flooded with memories hanging in the air so thick that you can almost cut them with a knife?

In parent news, this one might get a smile out of you. I have a 4 year old son; Connor Jacob. He refers to himself as C.J, rather than Connor. So, I asked him if he'd like his name changed. "yeah". Alright; Cherry Jellybean? "No". Cold Jalapeno? "gross" Cereal Jeep? "No." Chalupa Jagermeister? "Awesome!!!" Lol, Chalupa Jagermeister is the name he wants......good lord, that is a true-blooded mini Gilberticus right there :)

Edited by Gilberticus
  • Haha 1

Old people will say streets are as empty as in 1973 at oil crisis when no cars were allowed on weekends. But food supply is still quite normal and way way way better than in the after war years when misharvests, dries, marauders affected harvest. No reserves because of the war, most men either dead or still POW...

My grandma will say: Outbreak of the Marburg Virus when she was a nurse at Marburg.

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer; my point is: isn't it funny how a song or a smell or a beverage you haven't had in forever can instantly reverse the clock, and you're flooded with memories hanging in the air so thick that you can almost cut them with a knife?:)

True. The sight of a "kapsalon" still makes me nauseous. :3lmao:

Edited by Timotheus
  • Haha 1

Traffic hasn't changed much in my city, but that's because we never have traffic. As far as kapsalon, good lord, man, that sounds like it would sit on your gut like a brick.

• Haha 1

This weekend we will loose one hour because of switching to daylight saving time. You have to move the clock by one hour.

DON'T DO IT.

Do fight covid19 we have to win time. Not loosing it by switching to daylight saving time. This hour can make the difference in finding an antitoxin.

DON'T TOUCH YOUR CLOCKS THIS WEEKEND.

Wonder where my son got this idea, but I promised to spread the word ;)

• Haha 1
On 2/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, gogoblender said:

Im stoked and ready to get a good summer goin!

gogo

tod.jpg

You look fit man, good job.  I have been struggling to keep off the 100+ pounds of pure fat I lost over the past couple years.

Oh, it has stayed off for sure; it's just a struggle.  :lol:

time.thumb.jpg.40347dcd87130c22fb529938e0c81f4d.jpg

Grandpa for scale.

• Like! 1
On 2/19/2020 at 3:05 AM, chattius said:

Never visited a gym for more than 20 years now. I remember them as mainly muscle and fitness training. They had pretty expensive equipment and when I asked for ligament training after a dislocated shoulder they had no exercise for it. Weights are nice training, as long both your arms or legs work the same.

The items listed last post help to strengthen the ligaments and muscles needed for balance. So less likely to get injuries while stumbling walking offroad or at sports which need quick changes in direction. I think that my normal activities each day are enough for muscle training. But I am lazy on injury prevention. Wife: 'We are grandparents now. If we want to playing catch with grandchildren we need a lot of balance training!'.

;)

Thinking of getting small home weights to use at home during working.  I'm doing so much  Overtime while sitting down, i want to change it up and stay limber and strong

:D

gogo

On 3/27/2020 at 2:10 AM, Gilberticus said:

I think everything's going to be ok, if we follow protocols, use common sense, and keep a level head. Yeah, these are freaky times, but when, in the last 40 years, haven't times been freaky somehow (being only 40, I can't speak from first-hand experience any further back than that)? Let's see, in the late 80s, Greg Louganis cracked his head on the diving board at the Olympics, and everyone freaked out about Aids, like it was a Hollywood monster, lurking in the shadows. Hell, it could even get you while you sat on the toilet! In the early 90s, there was that panic about the tainted cigarettes; the ones that were supposedly pink-tinged in the filters. And then, school made it sound like MDMA was going to kill my whole generation. After that, kids dressed in trench coats shot the hell out of their highschool. And then , there was the dreaded Y2K bug that was going to destroy all computers and send us back to the stone age. I was in the military when 9-11 happened, but I'm sure it was as scary for some of you as it was me. Bird flu, swine flu, Lyme from mosquitoes,flue period. Ya know, if I made this rhyme, I could do a "We didn't start the fire; part 2". I am making fun of nothing, nor am I making light of nothing. However, my friends, looking back at the history of crud, I have a strong feeling that we shall persevere. :)

In regular, non-Covid news, I've had my first Miller High Life in.....dang, almost 20 years. I'm not saying I haven't drank since then, not just Miller High Life. In fact, it was right around this time, in 2002, when I had my last one. I remember being stationed at Camp Pendleton, sitting around a camp fire on the beach in Oceanside, CA, a local telling us that Layne Staley had just been found dead. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer; my point is: isn't it funny how a song or a smell or a beverage you haven't had in forever can instantly reverse the clock, and you're flooded with memories hanging in the air so thick that you can almost cut them with a knife?

In parent news, this one might get a smile out of you. I have a 4 year old son; Connor Jacob. He refers to himself as C.J, rather than Connor. So, I asked him if he'd like his name changed. "yeah". Alright; Cherry Jellybean? "No". Cold Jalapeno? "gross" Cereal Jeep? "No." Chalupa Jagermeister? "Awesome!!!" Lol, Chalupa Jagermeister is the name he wants......good lord, that is a true-blooded mini Gilberticus right there :)

Bravo on that Miller!!

Man, its been forever since I had a cold beer at home... you just got me inspiried into remembering that there's still small delights like that to be had even indoors...

Hope it was awesome, and looking forward to my own!

:drunkards:

gogo

On 3/27/2020 at 5:45 AM, chattius said:

Old people will say streets are as empty as in 1973 at oil crisis when no cars were allowed on weekends. But food supply is still quite normal and way way way better than in the after war years when misharvests, dries, marauders affected harvest. No reserves because of the war, most men either dead or still POW...

My grandma will say: Outbreak of the Marburg Virus when she was a nurse at Marburg.

Yesterday I actually "felt" the emptiness of the streets. Its an unsettling feeling, and one I'm not used to especially as a Live on a busy montreal street with lots of residences and commercial.  Always loved the vibe and seeing it empty like this is a gray feeling... almost makes me want to rush back home to the comfort of netflix

:blink:

gogo

4 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Thinking of getting small home weights to use at home during working.  I'm doing so much  Overtime while sitting down, i want to change it up and stay limber and strong

:D

gogo

Flix... just awesome!!! That's an inspiring and absolutely motivational pic.  Yah struggle... I get you friend! *high fives* ... 100 lbs is a huge number... There's a lot of my family members who are struggling with weight as well plus a lot of its complications... diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure... :(

Thank you for the kind words...yah Im trying to keep some kind of a routine while in this outbreak... soon as I finish my shift at home its out the door to the top of the mountain near the park where there's hopefully less people so that I can just get my heart rate up.

I have an apple watch and its numbers help me get to at least that thirty minute mark of exercise with a high heart rate just to do something.

Keep going Friend!!

:superman:

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

why don't you lot make your own pizzas and put whatever you like in them. It's a doddle, as long as you have a plate/dish that is oven-worthy.

Old misery has spoken.  :oooo:

Ah well, here goes, how is my day. In general terms....boring, tedious. But then we qualify as free-range old folks.

In lock-down, in a small village, our day is much the same as always, minus the choir practices which are almost our entire social life. No commerce in the village, just a very good bar/restaurant which we almost never use...we could almost spit into it from our front door.

We have a second home down south in the Pyrenees foothills. Sounds posh but is in fact a symptom of poverty as it costs less than the more commercially based holidays. “Holidays” consist of working on the maintenance of the house and land down there, and going to the village bar to watch rugby on their TV. We enjoy it, but for now the jungle will be taking over and the dormice will be building their nest in the house. Tough innit.

So here we are locked-down. I have spoken to 3 people, other than wife, in these recent weeks. The bin men pass every 2 weeks, a minimum of post arrives in the letter box, wife goes shopping on Monday mornings. It would drive some bonkers.

So...hmmm... today? Got up, had breakfast, did washing up. Mopped wine spill from floor, cut block of parmesan cheese into smaller portions, cleaned freezer in the barn so wife can restock it, cleaned a large plastic tray to store empty picture frames till needed, filled jug with red wine for midday meal, spent a few minutes in Dark Matters, had meal.

Afternoon will be a problem. Normally I spend some time with Podgie on one of the games we both enjoy, which, as Lotro has somewhat sickened us, is at present Vanguard which a small bunch of heroes is valiantly bringing back into life. EQ2 is an option, but for now we are supporting the Vanguard effort.

BUT... aha...lock-down has changed things. Podgie's wife now gets Wednesday and Thursday instead of Saturday and Sunday....so for Podgie today (Wednesday) is Saturday, and, as his wife once put it, he cannot come out to play. Options for me are …. garden (but it is raining), making progress with concreting the rest of the barn floor (but I cannot get out to get the materials), finishing clearing long term rubbish out of the barn (but the “tip” for which most of it is destined is closed down and in any case the trip for me is forbidden), fiddling about on the PC.....while the wife disappears upstairs into the upper floor bedroom/workroom, for cross-stitch or her only computer games..Colonization and Settlers, both in the original and best versions.

Podgie did remind me of Neverwinter Nights, again the original. I spent a lot of time with that game what seems a lifetime ago. In particular the design option. I designed a pretty large game, thinking that Viv (wife) might enjoy it, full of enigma-like quests and problems and minimum hack'n. Almost finished when the computer crashed and I lost the lot, together with the heart to restart. But Podgie did tell me of a brothel which I didn't remember, so I restarted. But after the initial pleasures of old memories it has already palled a bit. I have the brothel key but have not investigated any further!! Can I summon up the enthousiasm to look at the design option again?

So I am sitting writing a post for Dark Matters to bore you out of your scalps.

This evening will be “family time” (fanfare of trumpets, small French village style). Either

a) Scrabble,

b) old TV series on youtube, currently “Rosemary & Thyme” and Dr Finlay (rofl) or Murdoch if we could only find a reliable source for series 10 onwards, or

c) Viv takes free reign to hunt up archaelogical type contributions. I fear that this evening it is the latter option. I always loved Time Team, largely for the characters and the production style..... but everything seems to have been done to death now

So...you tell me friends....how is my day:) 

• Like! 1

Sounds like you have found a life in the slow lane. I would love to have some time off, contemplating taking a looong weekend myself. 

Tomorrow was supposed to be spent at the race track, since Formula 1 was supposed to return to the Netherlands this weekend. Sadly, it's been put on hold for now, though I did not change my day off, so I won't be spending my time on any (paid) work tomorrow. I *should* technically be back to work on Monday, only to have a mandatory day off again on Tuesday. Since my boss won't be in either, work has not piled up for me yet, and we've been asked to spread our days off by the office, I'm considering taking Monday off as well. Either way, I'm looking forward to a little R&R, as they say.

I'll be fiddling around with my PC, since I am thinking about going back to my old case, and I'll be dropping in a new cpu. Hopefully I will manage to sell off the last of my unused parts, and manage to clean up our storage downstairs so we can move some stuff around. Also, I hope the weather improves just a little bit so I can spend some time outside. :)

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1
6 minutes ago, Bondbug said:

So...you tell me friends....how is my day:) 

Quite interestingly close to a day in 1918/19 my grandgrandgrandma wrote in her diary.

All started with english troops controlling the village after the war, short after the visit most of the people ill. Wearing masks, quarantine, lot of people dying, no medicine against the flu and every nation is flaming everyone who started it. Luckily my ancestor lived on countryside and they could fed themself. But one third of the village died.

Poland named it 'with a very unfriendly word for germans' german-flue because it was brought there via Germany. In Germany it was the Flemish-Flu because it arrived from trenches in the Flemish-Region. The world named it Spanish-Flu because Spain was neutral in the war and reported a new disease without military censoring. Most likely a chinese flu mutated in Kansas and was brought to Europe with soldiers.

Everything was allowed to win the war, even sending infected soldiers around (all sites). Noone wanted to do a quarantine on so much needed soldiers. 17millions soldiers died in the war, 100millions civilists from the flu.

---

The diary of my grandgrandma reads about loosing 3 childs to diseases spring 1945 to summer 1945 because of too many ill people in bunkers at air raids.

---

Corona would be the first outbreak affecting our family which is not related to a shooting war. But I flame the still present cold war for not sharing informations and no worldwide coordinated research.

My day:

8 hours work, mainly special metals for medical stuff.

Driving my 15000l water truck down to the village to fill it. We are not connected to public water supply.

Two hours paperwork for firefighters, as village mayor,... Plans to start firefighting training again, re-opening church again, papers for waste-water tests - our village is small enough to do a taste on the village waste water. If the test is negative, whole village is, did a post here -

Truck is full driving back home, connect it to the fresh water input of the house

5 minutes asking if a kid needs help for online homework, luckily they help each other

noticing that evening meal is already done

Moving empty water barrels to barn, house, ... to collect water for the garden when it hopefully rains this night.

Cecking emails, this post, ....

• Like! 1