The Root of All Evil

So far with both the Community Patch and a difficulty mod or two installed, I've done over 300 quests on my latest Seraphim.  I think I permanently screwed up one quest (with the bandits at a bridge demanding a toll, and in haste I just "accepted" which I think broke it because I couldn't talk to/kill them afterward).  Besides that one I screwed up, I've run into one other quest that doesn't work, The Root of All Evil.  Videos and wiki suggest I'm supposed to go to a cave and kill a boss spider, but it doesn't spawn.  Because this is the *only* seemingly broken quest I've found, I'm asking whether the quest works rather than whether a mod broke it (which may be the case).  If someone knows for sure the quest works, I'll try reinstalling without mods at some point and see if that fixes it.

The cave is full of spiders, but there's no Shelob.  The quest marker points somewhere inside the cave, but there's nothing to interact with or kill.

Make that two, I think I managed to kill the Ice Hydra before In The Name of God required it, now it doesn't spawn and the quest can't be completed.  Going to reinstall and see what happens, I guess.

Edited by deusmurr

Yes, that is a problem with the game. I don't think the bandits talk after you accept and pay them the money. Killing or destroying objects out-of-order can really screw things up. I had the same type of problem with Rat Tails when one of the rats didn't drop his tail. It finally reappeared a week later. I've gone through the game a few times now and just have to say to myself, "could I have programmed it better". Debugging my COBOL programs 40 years ago seems simple when I see all the detail in quality games. I like the game so much that the few bugs that are found are just part of the game and don't all games have a few bugs? Play on bro and keep the sunny side up.

• Thanks! 1

I figured I'd mention it here in a new post, because it may help some people: I started with a fresh install and both the Shelob quest and the Haenir quest on Christmas Isle fixed themselves and are now complete.  Appears something was interfering with scripts or somesuch and keeping the bosses from spawning (though it hadn't been a problem before those two quests).  The quests themselves work just fine (though spawning that Fury Broodmother had downsides too, stupid thing knocked off over half my life on the first shot).

Also, with the "could I have programmed it better" question, the answer is almost always yes.  The real question is "could I have programmed it better in the time allowed with the team I was given?"  That's usually a no.  Game scripting and coding that I've seen is fairly simple at heart, but when you throw an entire game into the mix and all the interactions that need to happen, you end up with more than heart, you get the entire cardiovascular system and that's a BIG mess to deal with.

Edited by deusmurr
  • 2 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 3:23 PM, deusmurr said:

I figured I'd mention it here in a new post, because it may help some people: I started with a fresh install and both the Shelob quest and the Haenir quest on Christmas Isle fixed themselves and are now complete.  Appears something was interfering with scripts or somesuch and keeping the bosses from spawning (though it hadn't been a problem before those two quests).  The quests themselves work just fine (though spawning that Fury Broodmother had downsides too, stupid thing knocked off over half my life on the first shot).

Also, with the "could I have programmed it better" question, the answer is almost always yes.  The real question is "could I have programmed it better in the time allowed with the team I was given?"  That's usually a no.  Game scripting and coding that I've seen is fairly simple at heart, but when you throw an entire game into the mix and all the interactions that need to happen, you end up with more than heart, you get the entire cardiovascular system and that's a BIG mess to deal with.

Yes, but in the case of Ascaron and their dev partner for both the first and second Sacred titles (we will not discuss Sacred 3), you can absolutely tell that certain code teams were simply better at their part of the work than others were, and that they needed program managers with more of an iron fist and better communication skills to keep them in line than what happened. Simple things like not assigning appropriate names to gear pieces (See: Helmet of Fury being named Chestplate of Fury) should never have made it to release, yet here we are.