What was your first RPG - Action?

1 hour ago, desm said:

Hey Mr Spock, Ultima 1 omg respect.

Not sure it should earn any respect, but I still have all the Ultima games as well as a computer I can play them on. Three actually, because my iMac and my PC will both play them in emulation while I still have a working Apple ][c.

My Apple ][e needs a new power supply. I really need to get it fixed so I can access everything I have stored on its HUGE 20MB harddrive.

8 hours ago, Spock said:

Not sure it should earn any respect

For me it does, indeed.

8 hours ago, Spock said:

I still have all the Ultima games

Even more now ahaha You got the Ankh too? :)

• Like! 1
On 2/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, desm said:

... Even more now ahaha You got the Ankh too?

Somewhere, but I have no idea where at this point.

20 hours ago, Androdion said:

Apple IIc was released on the year of my birth, nuff said!

I bought my first Apple ][ in 1977.

[Added]

How can I change my edit options? I want to be able to SEE the BBCode so I can make corrections easier, but cannot find where to make the changes.

Edited by Spock
On 2/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, Spock said:

Not sure it should earn any respect, but I still have all the Ultima games as well as a computer I can play them on. Three actually, because my iMac and my PC will both play them in emulation while I still have a working Apple ][c.

My Apple ][e needs a new power supply. I really need to get it fixed so I can access everything I have stored on its HUGE 20MB harddrive.

I loved the Ultima games!

I think I remember even the first one I played way long ago on my cousin's Commodore 64... hooked!

I even remember that killer grass at the end that you had to fight your way through to get to the climactic end of game chest

Epic!

:D

gogo

1 hour ago, Spock said:

What? You mean everyone in here isn't as old or older than I?

Don't get me wrong, computers in my day were a rare sighting. I remember playing Prehistorik and Lemmings on my cousins' PCs, an astounding 286 and 386 respectively. But it wasn't until the late-nineties that personal computers became a "normal" thing here in Portugal. And even then things like a CD-R drive were extremely rare, to the point where people who had them would charge just about any price they'd want for pirate content on CD-Rs. Good times.

So you see, when you mention that you already had a personal computer 20 years before that... All I can say is "damn". I think you can understand. ;)

• Like! 1

Hmpf. The reason I got a computer so early was because I majored in computers for my Undergraduate Degree. I was supposed to get an Electrical Engineering Degree but took so many hardware and software courses that I actually asked if they would give me a Computer Science Degree instead.

At the time I was seriously planning on purchasing a PDP-10 as my first computer but I had a wife and two children and was still in the Navy. It would have been awkward to move a PDP-10around the world with us and you know I would have left the furniture ...

I did a little research and found the Apple ][e had recently come out and decided to go that way. I even took it with me onboard an aircraft carrier on a cruise once. I used it to maintain Divisional records and helped our Maintenance Department keep logs on all the aircraft. There was another junior officer who had brought his computer with him and I gave him a copy of the database program I had written and he used it to keep track of pilot landing statistics.

Those were 'fun' days...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought my first computer in 1988 and haven't been without one since. At first, I played with programs like Lotus 1,2,3 and dBase III, teaching myself to use their programming languages. Then I found Rogue and eventually Daggerfall. That was pretty much it for spreadsheets and databases. My free time was spent in "other worlds". The rest of TES followed and of course, the Fallout series. Dead Island and Dying Light fit in somewhere. When I found Sacred and Sacred2, I was pretty much home though, going back to Fallout4 only occasionally .

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 4:34 AM, chattius said:

I remember that Dungeon Master was the first game where I put headphones on. The game had stereo sound and you could hear enemies before seeing them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Master_(video_game)

It's all those little things in the beginning that were so thrilling! I remember with might and magic secret of the inner sanctum, just the picture on my mono amber screen of rooms coming closer as we approached them...woot!

:)

gogo

6 hours ago, TurboGandalf said:

Gothic 2 

I guess I need to play that again.

Never heard of it till now... course, this is Friday...what else it there to do cept to look up game trailers recommended by members here :bounce:

:0

gogo

er

Just now, gogoblender said:

Never heard of it till now... course, this is Friday...what else it there to do cept to look up game trailers recommended by members here :bounce:

:

... gotta say... pretty ambitious work with that forward camera scaling. and some sumptuous sound effects.. good for a decade ago!

:)

gogo

• 11 months later...

Gateway to Apshai on the C64 (assuming that counts as an ARPG, it certainly counts as a rogue-like).

I grew up on more traditional RPGs (eg, Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, AD&D, etc), but eventually moved over to ARPG since old-style RPGs aren't really made any more (and the ones that are aren't very good, IMO). Either that or I'm a repressed gambling-addict (which ARPGs certainly scratch that itch) :lol:

6 hours ago, Perdition said:

Gateway to Apshai on the C64 (assuming that counts as an ARPG, it certainly counts as a rogue-like).

I grew up on more traditional RPGs (eg, Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, AD&D, etc), but eventually moved over to ARPG since old-style RPGs aren't really made any more (and the ones that are aren't very good, IMO). Either that or I'm a repressed gambling-addict (which ARPGs certainly scratch that itch) :lol:

I remember Ultima...I think I started with the third one?

Completely blew my mind then, and I remember moving to Might and Magic after, with a buddy mapping the game along side me late at night while chain smoking (back when I smoked looong ago)! ...secred of the inner sanctum... just looked it up now... the image just pops out...I remember going to the mall and getting it, feeling that heavy box filled with goodies and waiting to get it home.. gaming was different back then!

:lol:

gogo

Ultima 5 was my first one. Then got each installment as they came out, culminating in the catastrophic disappointment of Ultima 9 :lol:

I think "Curse of the Azure Bonds" and "Might and Magic 2" were the first RPGs I bought for the PC.

Ex-smoker here too, been off that stuff for 10 years now, yay!

I counted, 11 pixels brought a game on the index (PG16). Same 11 pixels printed on a white sheet of paper- the print wasn't indexed. Why were these 11 pixels so dangerous?

Wizardry6

AmazuluCensored.png

• Like! 1