Help getting Sacred 2 Gold steam edition to run

Hi when I run Sacred 2 Gold steam edition I get error message:

driver: [aticfx32.dll]

graphicscard: [ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series]

device: [\\.\DISPLAY1]

cPhysics::init - NxCreatePhysicsSDK failed

SacredApp::setupEngine phyics init failed!    <----------NOTE my cursor was over some writing in this line so not exact

SacredApp::setup() setupEngine failed!

App::Setup() failed!

Then I have to exit steam and re-enter steam or else I get this error:

An error occured while updating Sacred 2 Gold (app running)

I don't know much about computers but I am running windows 7.  I have verified game files on steam.  I tried to run as an administrator in compatability for Windows XP service pack 3

Edit: I just noticed I bought Sacred 2 gold on GoG onsale too.  I will try installing that and see if it results in the same problem.  Thanks.

Hi thanks.  I looked at the link and my question is what to get started on first?  Some of the things I'm not sure how to execute that task but I can try researching with searches online.

But just to confirm is this what I should work on?

1) Uninstall Sacred 2 Gold

2) Update your  NVIDIA driver to Version 388.71 by going to the NVIDIA website. Install GeForce Experience (optional) this has an option to update the driver and keeps you informed of regular updates.

NOTE: I should update ATI driver.  Not sure exactly but I will go to their website.  I used to use a program Driver Reviver to find drivers to update and do it automatic but my license expired.

4) Be sure that Windows 10 has installed all of the latest updates including Microsoft Net Framework

NOTE: I'm on Windows 7 and not sure exactly how to do this?  I think I have automatic updates.  I can research this though.

5) Reboot your PC

6) Install Sacred 2 Gold with an integrity check.

Not sure what an integrity check is?  Is this verifying game files on steam?

7) Reboot your PC

8) Run the CM Patch 160

Not sure how exactly to do this.  I wouldn't want to run anything that makes sort of whimsical changes to gameplay like changing what stats affect lightsabers or something like that.  I would only want bug fix.  So I would only want a fix patch not a change the game patch.

9) Reboot your PC

10) De-fragment/Optimize your PC

Not sure how to do this but I could research it.

11) Reboot your PC

The game should load properly now. If not let us know and you may want to run CPU-Z and provide more of your system info.

Edited by claudius
  • Like! 1

There have been fewer reports of issues with Sacred 2 from GOG. The CM Patch 160 does fix the issue of the game crashing due to the memory getting clogged. I recommend the patch and you can check the change log to see the massive amount of positive changes.

If Windows updates automatically then you should be ready there. It would be advisable to de-fragment your drive by going to "My Computer" and right clicking and then going to the Properties tab and the de-fragment your drive(s). It is not advisable to de-fragment external drives such as a flash drive (thumb drive). When you install Sacred 2 Gold you will be prompted and asked if you wish to install with an integrity check; do so. De-fragmenting your drive before you run Sacred 2 Gold and after all updates and adding Net Framework is advised.

Microsoft Net Framework

• Like! 1

When you install Sacred 2 Gold you will be prompted and asked if you wish to install with an integrity check; do so. 

Hi and thanks for the suggestions.  I have a question about this quote above.  When I installed on steam I don't recall it asking me if I want an integrity check.  And so far on GoG it hasn't asked that.  On GoG it is about 61% downloaded so maybe it will ask me about an integrity check a little later.

Edit: another question so as not to double post I have added here.  Suppose I need to troubleshoot and I need to uninstall the game.  Do I need to download the game each time which takes a couple hours?   Or is there a way to uninstall but keep the download on my computer?

@vagnerhammer thank you for linking that.  Those fixes look too challenging to me.  I would probably just abandon hope of playing sacred 2 and play a different game instead or do something else.

Edited by claudius
added a question

Thankfully the GoG game copy worked without the same error.  I have a level 8 Temple Guardian with Source Warden Lore/Focus, Armor, and Concentration with Primal Mutation modded for damage.  I had wanted to try that out.

Thanks for help troubleshooting!

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This happens because for some stupid reason the game assumes an nVidia card is installed by default (and thus you get the error because you have an AMD card which of course does not have PhysX or the PhysX driver installed). You need to manually install the Legacy PhysX driver from nVidia's site, even if you have an AMD/ATI card for the game to start. The more recent update to the GOG installer of this game fixed this issue by scripting in an installation of the Legacy PhysX driver, but the Steam (Gold Edition), still needs to have this done manually if you use an ATI/AMD card.

• Like! 1