PizzaMatters

Mare

What is your favorite food?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite food?

We were a little bored a few days ago and because the pizzeria down the street has specials where a medium pizza with one topping of your choice is 5 99 we opted to broaden our horizons and see what kind of meaty possibilities tickled us

Hot dog!

picked

paid

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

:sick:

gogo

ps.s. lol wish I'd taken a pic of it...but as proof of this grotesquerie he's a pic of its listing on the menu:

IMG_2464.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2019 at 5:55 AM, chattius said:

Our village has still a baking house and we heat it from time to time. Yesterday was such a day. When the wood is nearly burned down it is pushed to the back. To check the heat for the bread baking a small cookie from bread dough is used. It is baken while there are still flames. It is layed wirh bacon, leech, onions, sour cream, ...  

The German name is Flammkuchen (flame cookie), French variant is tarte flambee and in our slang it has several names, depending on what is layed on. I prefer to use onions, greenback and Handkäse for my very special Zwiwwelblootz. Zwiwwel is our word for Zwiebel (onion) and a blootz is a sort of a plate.

So not a real Pizza, but since tomato, basilicum , Frutti die mare, Salami were not used at our place a century ago it is as close as it can get.

And sorry to all the Italians who are proud for their Pizza skills. Nothing beats the taste of a Zwiweelblootz. because it is not only the taste which counts. It is the togetherness of the Village. Kids collect Wood, men heat the oven, women do the dough, lot of laughing and talking while waiting. All this adds mentally to the taste. 

Bet you can get the same feeling with a Pizza. But the statutes of the baking house club says only recipes from the region ;)

20090920-IMG_0756-Bearbeitet-2.jpg

Chattius, you might be interested to know that what you guys make is indeed a type of pizza. It's a variant on what is known as a "white pizza", where you use an alternative base such as sour cream or oil & garlic instead of tomato sauce (because oil & garlic were for a very long time much easier for people to get than tomatoes, which were hilariously considered as being poisonous by people outside of Italy). This type of pizza originated in Greece a very long time ago (the original was basically what is in your picture, and they used Feta/goat cheese) and since has spread everywhere from Turkey and the USA to China. You'll find regional variations on the sour cream based pie in Hungary, Spain, Portugal, and the USA.

• Appreciation 1
22 hours ago, thejynxed said:

Chattius, you might be interested to know that what you guys make is indeed a type of pizza. It's a variant on what is known as a "white pizza", where you use an alternative base such as sour cream or oil & garlic instead of tomato sauce (because oil & garlic were for a very long time much easier for people to get than tomatoes, which were hilariously considered as being poisonous by people outside of Italy). This type of pizza originated in Greece a very long time ago (the original was basically what is in your picture, and they used Feta/goat cheese) and since has spread everywhere from Turkey and the USA to China. You'll find regional variations on the sour cream based pie in Hungary, Spain, Portugal, and the USA.

I have tried a white pizza, a veeeeeery long time ago. I still prefer  tomato pizza, but white pizza is good.

I remember a white pizza with wild boar ham....  :tongue2:

Edited by Mare
  • Like! 1

Yes, I have many times had white pizzas with ham, onion, & fresh basil. I actually prefer white to having the sauce, because most places the sauce is either too sweet with added sugar or too acidic with not enough.

I think there is a difference between a white pizza and a Flammkuchen/tarte flambee. The Flammkuchen is way thinner and bakes in around two minutes. The Flammkuchen is used for a heat test of the oven and uses the very same dough as the bread which will be baken. And we all know that there are thousands of variants in bread ( I am from Germany). Our area had a Hauberg tradition. Whole forest was divided in squares. After 12-18 years trees were chopped in some squares for charcoal (for the local iron mines) and the bark used for tanning. The roots remained in the ground and would grow into new trees quickly in just 12-18 years. Between the chopped trees buckwheat, rye, dinkel and other corns were harvested. So we rarely had a wheat dough, Sometimes we add oil to the dough used for a Flammkuchen. 

With many kids around there are sweat Flammenkuchen variants which can be used as a dessert while waiting for the bread to be removed from he oven.

For the toppings: look at the picture below to see how a square after 4 years looks. No place for horse work or big oxes. The animal used for farm work (and Eating) was a multi purpose variant of the old Celtic cow, relatic small but robust and cheap to keep. The local pig race was a wooly variant which could feed freely between the trees which were to high and dense for planting corn variants.

Must be in the genes, I am still used to prefer food from my garden or area.  

ERNTE.JPG

I just had a pizza with ham, mushrooms and truffles and THEN a huge pork steak (now im 12 kg more) but the perfect evening has stopped by the notre dame fire.

all my support is for french now.:sob:

*BURP*

2 hours ago, Mare said:

I just had a pizza with ham, mushrooms and truffles and THEN a huge pork steak (now im 12 kg more) but the perfect evening has stopped by the notre dame fire.

all my support is for french now.:sob:

*BURP*

truffles:)

expensive pizza!

:drool:

gogo

15 hours ago, Mare said:

ehehe you're in reason!

Its interesting, do they actually have the truffles as a set price topping, or do they shave the grams and weigh as they prepare?

:)

gogo

2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Its interesting, do they actually have the truffles as a set price topping, or do they shave the grams and weigh as they prepare?

:)

gogo

They sell every pizza at the same price, and truffles are not in slices, but grated. The pizza is € 8,50 while other pizzas are between € 5 and € 7 ...

However, in front of my house ( a farmhouse [:cow:] on a hill with cornfields and vineyards all around ) there is a wood, under  whose trees grow the best truffles in the world! Every day in truffles season I can't sleep because truffles dogs don't stop barking!

My municipality

Official site

my house  V

My home

:cool:

I've had Flammkuchen, but not in Germany, I had it in Alsace, France. I like pizza, but I don't think I can write up a glorification/condemnation for it. I don't think I have a favorite food period: I eat what locals are eating. Sometimes, that's a good thing, like, when I discovered cuy in Ecuador. Other times, though.... well, lets just say that I think chiguire must be an acquired taste. 

• Sad 1
On 4/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, thejynxed said:

I've just had a white pizza in Ravenna: a large pizza without any type of sauce (not tomato, nor oil garlic) and covered with onions and fries! It's scientifically tested that eating that type of pizza will destroy your sentimental life.

:o

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Mare said:

They sell every pizza at the same price, and truffles are not in slices, but grated. The pizza is € 8,50 while other pizzas are between € 5 and € 7 ...

However, in front of my house ( a farmhouse [:cow:] on a hill with cornfields and vineyards all around ) there is a wood, under  whose trees grow the best truffles in the world! Every day in truffles season I can't sleep because truffles dogs don't stop barking!

My municipality

Official site

my house  V

My home

:cool:

I love your home!! What a beautiful and temperate climate? Look at that huge tree...just having that kind of vegetation near me would give me non stop inspiration... I'd never stop writing..or in fact ever stop posting ...about pizza!

:4rofl:

gogo

16 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I love your home!! What a beautiful and temperate climate? Look at that huge tree...just having that kind of vegetation near me would give me non stop inspiration... I'd never stop writing..or in fact ever stop posting ...about pizza!

:4rofl:

gogo

Well, of course it is a pretty good house, in fact it was built in the 18th century by some farmers, and it is completely immersed in the vineyards where the best wines of Piedmont are born and in the forests where they take the best truffles in the world ... it is also a home large, because all the rooms on the upper floor were barns, and most of the ground floor was the animal stable. There were some bombings during the civil war of the 1940s, in fact my grandparents often told me about their adventures of those times. The pine tree you noticed is a "picea pungens" that comes from Colorado! the palm tree, on the other hand, grows well thanks to the warm climate.

Although the real estate market has collapsed, I could certainly earn a lot of money if I sell it. but of course, I will never do it.

:big_boss:

• The title was changed to PizzaMatters
  • 3 weeks later...

Think im gonna ask for the pizza to be well-done next time...here that means that they run it through 1.5 times in the chain link oven... I like bacon but I really  prefer its super crisp on the pizza...if its chewy borderline soft, I get the "oogies"

:lol:

gogo

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Think im gonna ask for the pizza to be well-done next time...here that means that they run it through 1.5 times in the chain link oven... I like bacon but I really  prefer its super crisp on the pizza...if its chewy borderline soft, I get the "oogies"

:lol:

gogo

Handmade pizza can be both soft and crunchy: it is said that the Neapolitan pizza is high and soft, the Roman one is very thin and crunchy.

:chef:

7 hours ago, Mare said:

Handmade pizza can be both soft and crunchy: it is said that the Neapolitan pizza is high and soft, the Roman one is very thin and crunchy.

I actually see them make the pizza at the pizza shop down the street from us, I guess they're a mix of neapolitan and roman?  Those are cool distinctions btw...thanks for the cullinary edu ^^

gogo

• Thanks! 1
14 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I actually see them make the pizza at the pizza shop down the street from us, I guess they're a mix of neapolitan and roman?  Those are cool distinctions btw...thanks for the cullinary edu ^^

gogo

I think that the dinstinction between neapolitan and roman pizza is only used inside italians borders...