Pillars of Eternity

The game's been out since 2015, so there's not really much I can say that's new to you. This isn't really about the game itself; more that I've discovered that I love CRPGs, at least this one. I like to have two games that I play at once; one is a fast-paced game that I can leave on pause and interrupt without a fuss, the other one is slower, for when the shop is closed and wife is at work and kid is in bed. My fast-paced one's Fallout 4. Due to mods like Project Valkyrie, Sim Settlements, and Outcasts And Remnants, I'm going to be in Commonwealth for a long time. However, I need a slower-paced game. Until recently, that spot was taken up by an early access building game from an indie developer. I love indie developers, especially those who try to build their own engine. Not that there's anything wrong with Unity and Unreal, but I was told that developing your own engine is like trying to reinvent the wheel, and I tip my hat to that. But dude, I am so tired of having early access games for five years, when updates are quarterly at best and some of them are nothing more than "look, you can now change the color of your pickaxe handle! Mind-blowing!" Not that all of them are like that, but I seem to purchase the ones that are. I'm done having to wait a decade for products to finish. Again, not all of them are like that, but the ones I've bought are indeed like that. 

So, I had a slot to fill. I was looking at the Steam store, and Pillars of Eternity was all over it. Looking at some of the forums, people were like "blah blah blah Pillars of Eternity blah blah". A few of my customers have even been like "Blah blah Pillars of Eternity blah blah!" And I thought "nah, man, I can't stand those party-based CRPGs. But I can't remember why I dislike them so much. I know I played something that I loathed like ten years ago..... Avadon or Averdadon or something like that, but that's kind of a poor excuse. So, I rolled the dice with Pillars of Eternity, and I'm totally enthralled. Not much else to say, just really happy that I bought Pillars of Eternity. 

I love that game.  I've played through it 3 1/2 times now.   Characters, story, choice and consequence, intricate class building, all reasons why I love that genre.

I see atleast two more times for me. I've already killed Raedric, I want to see what happens if I take out the other cousin in the next game, then I want to take out both of them after that. 

2 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I've already killed Raedric,

This is by far my favorite path for this quest, because of the way the plot unfolds....

Did you get the White March expansions?  They are outstanding.  If so my advice is to wait and play them towards the end of the campaign (though you can't do them after going in the final boss dungeon).

What kind of character did you roll?

The first time, I rolled a human mercenary. I'm not sure of the specifics, because I didn't pay attention. I'm not used to games where point allocation really matters much. I steamrolled through on sheer blind luck  until the drake on the fifth level of Od Nua totally handed me my butt. This time, I rolled a Coastal Aumaua Paladin merchant. Now that I know better, I'm going to pay closer attention. The last time, I sold every single piece of loot I found so I could upgrade my stronghold. Long story short, I was a complete and total dingus the first time around. Now that I'm actually paying attention, I love the game even more. Next time around, I think I'm going with the Godlike race, for the sheer fact that horned races are always fun for me to play. 

I do have both parts of White March. The steward of Caed Nua never notified me, though, probably because she knew I was playing like a moron. I think she'll forgive me, though; I'd imagine being the soul of a dying woman bound to a marble throne would require a decent amount of patience. 

10 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

Next time around, I think I'm going with the Godlike race, for the sheer fact that horned races are always fun for me to play. 

My second character was a nature god-like Aumaua barbarian.  She was a lot of fun.

UYlhCO9.png

Here's my portrait pack that I put together.  It's got about 4 times the standard number of player portraits, all lore-friendly, organized by race and ready to use.  There's a lot of good god-like ones in there.  Also useful if you use the hireling feature to build your own companions at the inn.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BubiDD3Ttz6OH3evUSlK55Vhh_otU9VG/view?usp=sharing

You just plop them down in:

\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\

I just played a couple of the trailers...the voice acting is superb! I guess you can get that kind of sentiment and intensity if the writing is good... and the reviews love this game. 

It reminds me a lot of divinity Original sins 2

:)

gogo

This is a great game that I'm majorly enjoying. However, I'm about to type words that I never thought I'd be clacking on my keyboard: I need to take a break from quests and armor and RPGs. I'm in the mood to shred stuff up, I think I'm going to buy the DOOM game that came out a few years ago.