Game Mechanics And Gameplay-Related Technical Questions

46 minutes ago, Flix said:

Weapons and weapon-based combat arts only.

I believe Dmitriy changed it in his mod to work on all damage sources.  At least I remember it being up for discussion during CM 1.60 development.

I'm making a note in that it's only for weapons and weapons-based combat arts in the Sacred Wiki. On another note, one thing that seems unusual about "Critical Hit"s is that Glacial Thorns and Incendiary Shower may be modified to increase the chance for Critical Hits, yet the modifier itself has no effect. I feel that this could be misleading, so I made a note in that regard as well.

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

On another note, one thing that seems unusual about "Critical Hit"s is that Glacial Thorns and Incendiary Shower may be modified to increase the chance for Critical Hits, yet the modifier itself has no effect. I feel that this could be misleading, so I made a note in that regard as well.

It has an effect, just not when it's on gear.  Spells can still critical hit, and the chance boosted by Spell Intensity/Intelligence.

• The topic was featured

Brilliant thread.  Technical paraphrasing with good documentation skills/will is nigh miraculous.  I've made this thread a featured thread, perhaps even more folks can help out with the energy and mechanical feeds.  Getting this to the Wiki is a blessing, thanks guys and Hooyaah for starting this 

:gogo:

gogo 

• Appreciation 1
11 hours ago, Flix said:

It has an effect, just not when it's on gear.  Spells can still critical hit, and the chance boosted by Spell Intensity/Intelligence.

So then, the modifier Chance For Critical Hits is not effective for Spells when it is found on gear of any sort including armor, weapons, and jewelry? Is that correct?

Yes, in the case of the modifier being present in gear it won't affect spell-based CAs. But if you have it as an enhancement on the CA itself it does work.

Otherwise you'd have a dedicated blacksmith and splash lv.200 Enhance arts on lv.2 gear for an up and running caster and you'd be a demigod! It's a matter of balance, like RPH not working with spell-based CAs.

To simplify it; modifiers like block chance, chance to evade, chance to reflect all deal with averting being hit, so in simple terms they "deviate" part of the incoming damage. The remainder of it will take into account the amount of armour you have, and only then is the calculated damage dealt to your hit points.

Damage mitigation works before everything else and essentially reduces the amount of incoming damage by the percentage you have on your sigma value. That is before all other calculations take place, so it's a very powerful modifier. There are also energy shields which are an added barrier before the damage finally getting to your HP.

This topic is recent and talks about it: 

• Like! 1

Brilliant, a dedicated thread for my future questions :P

Let's get cracking: if I select the Divert silver mod for Ancient Bark, and I pump the CAlvl to 40, I am basically immune to melee damage, is that correct?

Then, Shield Lore would only provide additional defense value (only from the shield or overall bonus?), still useful for ranged attacks (and magic?). If I understand properly, defense is used to determine the evasion chance? Then wouldn't Combat Reflexes be better at it even if I use shields? Although it would not do anything anymore in terms of melee defense.

But then... Wouldn't Spell Resistance become a better skill overall? Especially since higher melee evasion means less damage reflected? Except... Goldenglade Touch's silver mod persevere would provide me with enough Willpower to dwarf Spell Resistance?

The question behind is that I would like to pick Armor Lore (secondary defensive skill), but if the 3 primary defensive skills are more or less useless for a caster dryad, then is Armor Lore still worth picking (2 skill slots for it)?

Another stupid question: if I select both Magic Staff and Dual Wield as skills, can I fire with ranged attacks from both hands?

Cheers

Edited by Durmir
  • Like! 1

Ah ok thanks. I thought it was too good to be true (about Ancient Bark).

Regarding evasion and defense, do we know in what order the calculations are made? Here is an example with what I now understand to be correct (but feel free to correct anything):

If a monster attacks me (weapon basic attack) for 100 damage:

- there is a first roll to compare his attack value with my defense value and determine if his attack goes through

- if it goes through, then there is a roll with my %evasion to know whether or not I dodge it

- if it goes through, there is a roll on my %chance to reflect it

- if it goes through, then I take damage. The damage is mitigated by armor and %damage mitigation of the corresponding type, sequentially

So, if with attack and defense values the monster has 50% chance to hit me, and if I have 10% chance to evade and 20% chance to reflect. With 10% mitigation through armor and 10% mitigation through item modifiers, I would take on average:

100 x 0.5 / (1+0.1) x 0.8 x 0.9 x 0.9 = 29,45 damage per hit?

The question is particularly interesting to know whether I should raise my defense value, my evasion chance or my damage mitigation if I use reflect damage.

Also, I could not find on the wiki, what is the formula that relates attack value and defense value? The question behind is: as a general rule, is it better to increase %defense+ or %evasion? %evasion should work the same regardless of level, but the defense value will depend on the ennemy type and level. However, defense may have an overall greater impact, especially with %defense.

PS: so if I use 2 staves, only the one in the right hand would fire a projectile? Well that is disappointing...

Edited by Durmir
  • Like! 1

Another basic question ...:smile:
Does the mechanics of the game react based on logic?

Example: If I leave the unprotected character   of poison, the AI the game's can respond to this by generating attacks just from what I have no protection?

Edited by vagnerhammer

Thanks guys!

Another question, absolutely not related:

It is obvious there is some kind of "smart drop" system in the sense that drops correspond to the class in 90% of cases.

Do we know what are the other components of the smart drop system? For instance, if I take "Ranged Weapons" as a skill, would it drop more ranged weapons? If I kill mobs using certain skills, would I get more items with bonuses related to that skill (similar to headhunting CAs for the dryad)? Etc.

• Like! 1

It's more like 70%?! There are a couple of lines in either options.txt or balance.txt (can't remember right now) that regulate the drop ratio. One is for runes and the other for gear. The lines are something like "isusablebyhero" and "runeisforhero", and forgive me for my bad memory but I'm on my cell and I can't properly confirm the locations and specific names/values.

So in short, nope, only the Dryad has such a mechanic with shrunken heads.

• Appreciation 1