Jump to content
chattius

Smartphones - I start to hate them

Recommended Posts

I.

Ever bought something online and recognized that the prices are different if you use a smartphone or a desktop?  The algorithms used by online shops consider smartphone users buying quicker and comparing less than desktop users so they try higher prices.

 II.

My wife is a doc and she says that more and more kids have problems with their necks. A head is like 10 pounds, Looking down at a 45 degree angle multiplies this weight. The anatomy of humans is still optimized for a distant look for predators in the open savannah. Looking down at the smartphone needs a lot of muscle work especially for a kid. Muscles are not bad, but if you never use the muscles in the opposite direction for a similar time the muscles will stiffen. 

III.

Smombies. Ever did a emergency breaking with a 20ton fire truck because a smombie crosses the street, looking down to the phone while wearing anti-noise headphones. Fire trucks shouldn't have signal horns and flash lights. Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

IV.

Even more evil than a smombie are the ones who block the street at an accident because they are using their smartphone to film the crash and upload the video. Doing a video of helpless or dead people is a crime here, spreading it is the next and blocking access to the scene for emergency vehicles is another one. 

 

  • Like! 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I agree with you completely. They can be a real nuisance, but they can also be very useful. I think it is more a case of the idiot using it than the smartphone itself.

 

My big problem is with BMW cars, they are lovely vehicles, but it seems that 99% or the people that own them are unfit to be driving them! It appears that as soon as they put the car in gear, they put their brains in neutral. They nearly all seem to think that rules don't apply to them and that they own the road and everyone else has a duty to make way for them.

  • Thanks! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chattius said:

I.

Ever bought something online and recognized that the prices are different if you use a smartphone or a desktop?  The algorithms used by online shops consider smartphone users buying quicker and comparing less than desktop users so they try higher prices.

 II.

My wife is a doc and she says that more and more kids have problems with their necks. A head is like 10 pounds, Looking down at a 45 degree angle multiplies this weight. The anatomy of humans is still optimized for a distant look for predators in the open savannah. Looking down at the smartphone needs a lot of muscle work especially for a kid. Muscles are not bad, but if you never use the muscles in the opposite direction for a similar time the muscles will stiffen. 

III.

Smombies. Ever did a emergency breaking with a 20ton fire truck because a smombie crosses the street, looking down to the phone while wearing anti-noise headphones. Fire trucks shouldn't have signal horns and flash lights. Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

IV.

Even more evil than a smombie are the ones who block the street at an accident because they are using their smartphone to film the crash and upload the video. Doing a video of helpless or dead people is a crime here, spreading it is the next and blocking access to the scene for emergency vehicles is another one. 

 

I agree with you, but according to me smartphones are not the problem. The real problem is people who use them in the wrong way. In my opinion, technology is never bad, but it depends on how people use it. 

The goal of the inventor of the phone was making work easier, I think, and not allowing people to film an accident. Nevertheless, there are people who film accidents. So, it's their fault, and not the inventor's.

However, you're completely in reason!

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my position is exactly this:

3 hours ago, podgie_bear said:

I'm not sure I agree with you completely. They can be a real nuisance, but they can also be very useful. I think it is more a case of the idiot using it than the smartphone itself.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An electronic device is merely a tool with a multitude of features (apps) that may be used for a seemingly endless array of functions. A "smartphone" has no capacity for reasoning, hence it is necessary for the human operator to use their own wisdom and common sense or face the possible consequences for not doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my eyes the smartphone is the equivalent to the compact fluorescent lamp. They are better than the thing before. But it would have been better if this generation of tools would have been jumped completly.

Compact fluorescent lamps are hard to recycle, poisonous if broken, …. 

Smartphones are damaging the health of the neck and cause idiotic behaviour. 

All the money spend in developing new smartphones would have been enough to create a data display for one eye and without a camera. Following the new laws in europe doing a foto of a person without asking is a crime. Doing fotos of kids is an absolut Nono. Parents who think that someone is doing a foto of her kids are allowed to ask a policemen to make sure that the person with the camera wasn't doing so. So with a camera in each smartphone and a paranoid mother with a kid around: keep your smartphone in your pocket. police could be interested in your last photos.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chattius said:

Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

I have to admit this made me laugh out loud to imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 3:23 AM, chattius said:

I.

Ever bought something online and recognized that the prices are different if you use a smartphone or a desktop?  The algorithms used by online shops consider smartphone users buying quicker and comparing less than desktop users so they try higher prices.

 II.

My wife is a doc and she says that more and more kids have problems with their necks. A head is like 10 pounds, Looking down at a 45 degree angle multiplies this weight. The anatomy of humans is still optimized for a distant look for predators in the open savannah. Looking down at the smartphone needs a lot of muscle work especially for a kid. Muscles are not bad, but if you never use the muscles in the opposite direction for a similar time the muscles will stiffen. 

III.

Smombies. Ever did a emergency breaking with a 20ton fire truck because a smombie crosses the street, looking down to the phone while wearing anti-noise headphones. Fire trucks shouldn't have signal horns and flash lights. Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

IV.

Even more evil than a smombie are the ones who block the street at an accident because they are using their smartphone to film the crash and upload the video. Doing a video of helpless or dead people is a crime here, spreading it is the next and blocking access to the scene for emergency vehicles is another one. 

 

I aggee with you ...and yes we have a right to be terrified..the Day of the Snombies is here!

:oooo:

on a more serious note and what to do about it however... cell phones represent an access to all the past history, knowledge and entertainment the world has ever possessed or indeed can come up with...how can someone not be drawn into their own mirror of electro narcissism?  I believe our concept of "roads" will change. "movement" will change and "cars" will change... that the days of a human having to physicaly move to another geography to procure information or execute a result will change as well..its just a matter of time before  consuming, yes, even the future becomes more tenable than actually physically creating action... one uses less energy less?

the laws of the universe are coming ^^

for a preview...check out this really cool thos with Bruce Willis in a dystopia where noone literally has to ever leave their home anyone..just upload the consciousness into plastic dolls...and see what happens when the net work drops

:lol:

 

 

 

Is this whats coming in one way or another?

I feel... a metaphor

 

:eek:

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

I aggee with you ...and yes we have a right to be terrified..the Day of the Snombies is here!

:oooo:

on a more serious note and what to do about it however... cell phones represent an access to all the past history, knowledge and entertainment the world has ever possessed or indeed can come up with...how can someone not be drawn into their own mirror of electro narcissism?  I believe our concept of "roads" will change. "movement" will change and "cars" will change... that the days of a human having to physicaly move to another geography to procure information or execute a result will change as well..its just a matter of time before  consuming, yes, even the future becomes more tenable than actually physically creating action... one uses less energy less?

the laws of the universe are coming ^^

for a preview...check out this really cool thos with Bruce Willis in a dystopia where noone literally has to ever leave their home anyone..just upload the consciousness into plastic dolls...and see what happens when the net work drops

:lol:

 

 

 

Is this whats coming in one way or another?

I feel... a metaphor

 

:eek:

 

gogo

In my opinion, technology is never wrong. Help people work better. It increases production, and therefore makes people happier and richer. But of course, one must be able to use it. Just think of how easy it is to fall into the trap of fake news. Any intelligent person would not believe. But not everyone is intelligent.

:sob:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X*y=9

x+y=6

calculate 1/(x*(1/y))

My son wrote 1, using his head only. The teacher wrote false. Because the software he used to make the math papers calculated with 2 digits after the '.'

So 1/(3*(1/3)) = 1/(3*0.33) which is 100 and was on the solution paper printed for the teacher. In old times teacher calculated the exercise given to kids using their brain or pen and paper. Now they are believers. They believe in computers and calculators.

 

A cavemen needed 8 hours for lunch, hunting and collecting included.

Today we need 8 hours for lunch making, 7 and a half spend in cooking newgroups, watching cooking in TV or talk about cooking with friends ;)

 

Our oldest bought a John's years ago. She still uses it and says it saves hours each day.  

 

product_sweet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chattius said:

X*y=9

x+y=6

calculate 1/(x*(1/y))

My son wrote 1, using his head only. The teacher wrote false. Because the software he used to make the math papers calculated with 2 digits after the '.'

So 1/(3*(1/3)) = 1/(3*0.33) which is 100 and was on the solution paper printed for the teacher. In old times teacher calculated the exercise given to kids using their brain or pen and paper. Now they are believers. They believe in computers and calculators.

Do you mean 1/(3*(1/3)) = 1/(3*0.33) = 1/(0.99) = 1.01 if calculated to two decimal places?

I can't see how you could get 100 as an answer, but maybe I'm struggling to do the maths incorrectly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oops, curse age, mixed two exercises. Was probably dividing by (1-3*(1/3)) and something more complex above.

Have to look when he is back from school.

 

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chattius said:

oops, curse age, mixed two exercises. Was probably dividing by (1-3*(1/3)) and something more complex above.

Have to look when he is back from school.

 

No worries, that makes more sense!!

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, with exact calculation you would divide by zero.  Should have seen that was I typed was nonsense. Becoming a grandpa seems to have mental effects way in advance.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×