Need a new (or old) game

Hey guys. So here's the deal, I noticed over the past months that my time to play has become more limited and I usually have to choose between playing games or sleeping. I'll admit that I've never been a casual player so I always tend to immerse (loose) myself in the game I'm playing, so I tend to overstay with it and sleep less than I should. But I've been lacking sleep a bit too much and I've even done a break from games late at night . Thing is, sometimes I have like an hour or so to kill, and I'd love to have something I could play while hearing a record or two, but I've searched and searched and I can't find anything that I really like. Opinions? Something cool to play but that doesn't require that I play it three hours in row to feel like I've gone somewhere. Being able to listen to music while I'm playing it would be a huge bonus, since my time there is also more limited nowadays. So if I could combine both it'd be great.

• Like! 1

You're absolutely right, sorry about that.

I've played RTS, RPG, FPS and third-person isometric games all my life. Some platformers as well, some sports games too but I'm not into football anymore. So there's a lot of ground to be covered really.

If possible I'd prefer a game where I can log in, do some progress without feeling the need to keep playing for hours on no end and log out, while being able to have music playing in the background (so a game that doesn't rely on its ambient music or sounds for gameplay).

I'm not into tower defense nor multiplayer online games, I'm more of a single player person. I've played too many games to name them all, maybe I need something outside of my habits. Could be just that.

1 minute ago, Hooyaah said:

You might like Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen.

Heard about that..isnt that the one mentioned with CRAZY graphics for spell casting?

:)

gogo

Yeah, wow... That would definitely break my PC! :blush2: Still got a first gen I7, and even though I have a GTX960 there'll always be a bottleneck to be found in more intensive games.

Just did a complete OS reinstall, running smoothly and ready to install a game or two, if I ever decide what to actually install. :whistle:

I checked the requirements on Steam, that's why I said it'd break my CPU. It's a very cpu-intensive game, which is where my bottleneck is, and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon unless the hardware breaks down on me.

I could probably run it on low, but then where's the fun in that?! I can run Crysis 2 with medium/high settings without frame rate drops, unless there's a whole lot of lighting effects. But the moment I step a foot outside and the sun shines, or fog or smoke or any other of those effects my frame rate goes significantly down. So an even newer game should really break my frame rate.

10 hours ago, Androdion said:

I checked the requirements on Steam, that's why I said it'd break my CPU. It's a very cpu-intensive game, which is where my bottleneck is, and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon unless the hardware breaks down on me.

I could probably run it on low, but then where's the fun in that?! I can run Crysis 2 with medium/high settings without frame rate drops, unless there's a whole lot of lighting effects. But the moment I step a foot outside and the sun shines, or fog or smoke or any other of those effects my frame rate goes significantly down. So an even newer game should really break my frame rate.

Dude I've still got an i3 from 8 years ago.  You get enough of a powerhouse GPU and it won't matter.  With a GT 960 you should have few issues with Dragon's Dogma at 1080p (higher than that and you might have issues).

These are some of my recent games, on my "to do" list.  Haven't gotten around to them yet but they all look great:

Ember

Vikings Wolves of Midgard

The Dwarves

• Like! 1

You think so? I mean, they request at the minimum a fourth gen I Core CPU and I have a first gen one. I know my GPU is strong, that's why I bought it a few years ago, to compensate for the rest. But still, heavy effects from old games still hinder the performance.

I'll admit that I haven't had the courage to try to play a more recent game on my PC.

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

You think so? I mean, they request at the minimum a fourth gen I Core CPU and I have a first gen one. I know my GPU is strong, that's why I bought it a few years ago, to compensate for the rest. But still, heavy effects from old games still hinder the performance.

I'll admit that I haven't had the courage to try to play a more recent game on my PC.

It's worth a google to see if their are people with the same CPU as you able to play it. It might be old, but an i7 is still a decent processor. You'll only run into issues if the game requires instructions that the first gen i7's don't support, but since the minimum spec's for the game are a first gen i5 (recommended is a 4th gen core-I, not minimum as you say) I think you'll be fine. A quick google suggested there are people playing on an i7-920 (lowest spec'ed gen-1 i7).

Ah, ok then! Thanks a bunch for that info. In the meantime I've dug up this beauty. Unreal was actually one of the first PC games I've ever played (honors were given to Quake 2).

WP_20190511_03_01_39_Pro.jpg

I haven't played an FPS game since Crysis 2 as I've began experiencing severe nausea and headaches, shortage of breath and revolted stomach included. Gladly enough I can't feel that kind of stress now with UT 2004 (maybe it's the glasses that are making a difference?!), so if that experience doesn't nauseate me nothing will! :D I don't really remember it being as bloody frantic as it is, but then again I had what, a Pentium 3 with a 32MB GPU at the time?! It's curiously a good game for not having sound, and right now it's doing the trick. I should really invest some time into the FEAR and Bioshock collections I have on Steam...

I'll put Dragon's Dogma on the watchlist (it's 30€ right now...). If the price goes down I'll grab it. Sadly there's no demo available on Steam so I can't try it out.

PS: Out of curiosity I've just checked the price of the Unreal series on Steam, they have the Unreal Deal Pack (Anthology+UT3) for 33€. I actually bought the Anthology for 4-5€ and UT3 for 10€ back in the day. Both are physical editions (how I miss those...). :whistle:

1 hour ago, Gilberticus said:

Wish I could help, but the only thing I play these days is Katamari Damacy Reroll and Embark.

lol, had to look that one up

gogo

Don't know if this will help... but.

Heroes of Might and magic 5(Hammers of fate expansion) or 7(trail by fire expansion).  You can choose for how long you want to play, and then easily save and continue the game when you want or have time.

Don't starve is a survival game, and takes a bit of time to get used to what you are supposed to do... or that is what I thougt, but know I can play a map for a long time without dying or Starving, and you can save whenever you want...

Depending on what OS you are running, I love The Lord Of the Rings The Battle for Middle Earth, 1 and 2(and the rise of the witch king expansion) both allow you to save when ever you want and continue at your convenience. I know they are old, but I still play them.

• Like! 1
7 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

Katamari Damacy Reroll

Yeah, this is some really whacky stuff! Embark looks cool for those who appreciate the genre, but I was never into that kind of sim game.

@Delta! - Never been a fan of the HoM&M series, hex games and all that. The only turn-based combat I appreciated was in the old Final Fantasy titles. Don't Starve is in line with the indie titles that Steam has, not a fan of the pack. I remember BfME fondly, a friend of mine used to play a pirated copy all the time and it was great. But... it costs an arm and a leg?! Ah, shame... I miss old school RTS games, I played Red Alert 2 and Rise of Legends so much it isn't even funny!

@podgie_bear - Sorry for not saying anything about Icewind Dale before. Not my thing, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Probably best off going back to like star craft or war craft 3 for that short of a time. If you played magic the gathering they just released arena which is free. And for mobile empires and puzzles is fun but a bit pay 2 win. And it's long term. The daily stuff is short like you want but progress can take months. 

• Like! 1

Funny that you mention Starcraft, I've just installed the Battle.net client and both SC and SC2 (the free versions). Has any of you played Starcraft Remastered? The visuals I've seen online seem great, but is there the option to change sreen res or is it just 1024x768 like on the original? They seem to have changed some stuff, portraits for instance are the ones for SC2 instead of the original ones. Is the remaster worth 15€? I played SC2 Wings of Liberty for a few days some years back, my pc at the time couldn't deal well with it and I'll admit that I wasn't playing RTS games at that time. But what I do remember is that the game menu wasn't as satturated as it is now when I logged this version (Legacy of the Void version even though the campaign isn't available). Man, it's all bells and whistles, e-games propaganda, buy buy buy stuff... What the hell?! :yawn:

MTG Arena seems interesting, but it only works as PvP right? I'm not into multiplayer, never been.

I don't know if my tastes can match yours, and I haven't played so many games in my life. In any case, there are various games that I have played during my life (my pc's, indeed). Here are my favorite titles of all time (apart from Sacred). 

• Civilization V: definitely the best turn-based strategy game ever. But surely you won't do well, because the games are very long.
  • Age of Empires II & Age of Mithology:  still strategy games, but in real time. my favorite is age of mithology, and it has really short games. The only problem is that like all microsoft games, it costs enough (€ 20 on steam)
  • Imperium III & Civitas II: war and management games. I love them. I spent almost three thousand hours there.
  • Dirty Bomb (:bomb:) :  completely changes the type of game. It is a FPS, mixed between arena and strategic, with a frenetic and competitive game mechanic. the games are very short (10 minutes)
  • Fistful of Frags: Another FPS. In love with the western setting.
  • Stormbound: A nice card game, which looks like a mix between Clash Royale and chess
  • Stick it to the man: one of my favorite games ever. It's a platform. only 5 € on steam. short but perfect

:thumbsupsmiley:

I hope this advice will be useful to you!

:thumbsupsmiley:

1 minute ago, Androdion said:

Thanks for the tips, but I wasn't enticed by most of it. Area of Effect and AoM are great games though, haven't played them in a million years!

sad...

On 5/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, Androdion said:

Ah, ok then! Thanks a bunch for that info. In the meantime I've dug up this beauty. Unreal was actually one of the first PC games I've ever played (honors were given to Quake 2).

WP_20190511_03_01_39_Pro.jpg

I haven't played an FPS game since Crysis 2 as I've began experiencing severe nausea and headaches, shortage of breath and revolted stomach included. Gladly enough I can't feel that kind of stress now with UT 2004 (maybe it's the glasses that are making a difference?!), so if that experience doesn't nauseate me nothing will! :D I don't really remember it being as bloody frantic as it is, but then again I had what, a Pentium 3 with a 32MB GPU at the time?! It's curiously a good game for not having sound, and right now it's doing the trick. I should really invest some time into the FEAR and Bioshock collections I have on Steam...

I'll put Dragon's Dogma on the watchlist (it's 30€ right now...). If the price goes down I'll grab it. Sadly there's no demo available on Steam so I can't try it out.

PS: Out of curiosity I've just checked the price of the Unreal series on Steam, they have the Unreal Deal Pack (Anthology+UT3) for 33€. I actually bought the Anthology for 4-5€ and UT3 for 10€ back in the day. Both are physical editions (how I miss those...). :whistle:

Loved playing Unreal!! The single play was incredible... graphics, weapons... btw are you into Star Trek? This is pretty old school..but the story is so compelling, and, at least at that time, great graphics...even to this day, it draws me in ... STory and great tension... bravo.. a force for its time

gogo