At this moment, I'm sprawled on the couch with 40 ° c of fever, but someone like me never wants to be doing nothing, so I decided to offer you a doubt I have.

Let's start from the beginning. Do you remember the ancient Egyptians? there is no doubt that they are an overrated people, since they didn't know how to write or count. However, no one can say that they are not great builders. The pyramids are beautiful, right? And here the problem arises. the pyramids are beautiful, but ... useless! instead, what about the Roman temples, much smaller but on a human scale? and their aqueducts? and their roads, and ships, etc? well. The Egyptians had more beautiful constructions, but those of the Romans were more useful.

which of the two was right?

is it better pragmatism or design? do you prefer a smartphone with an audio jack, or one without it but much thinner? Do you prefer a beautiful, unconfortable chair, or an ugly, comfortable one? what do you think? it is right to waste resources and sacrifice comfort for design, or ergonomics comes first?

In my opinion, architects, designers, and electronics manufacturers should use a good mix of the two!

:heat:

I think the pyramids are about inspiration as well? And humans seem to be drawn to great feats of engineering to keep them inspired, in awe and even motivated.  Hence the pyramids which were the worlds' tallest for a reported 4 thousand years? Seems like we're always racing to build the tallest and tallest... and with with tech... the rate at which we build seems to have gotten even faster.... hello Burge Khalifa!

Burj_Khalifa.jpg

:O

gogo

1 minute ago, gogoblender said:

As well take care of that fever.. hot soup and rest!

😊

gogo

thanks! im already feeling better... with some coffee.

:coffeecup:

When I was a child, we would take road trips around the U.S.  And back then I always wondered, "why don't we built great big monuments and structures like the pyramids or giant castles?"  All I ever saw were giant office buildings, just tall rectangles.  The only awe inspiring stuff was natural, like mountains or forests or canyons.

As an adult, it's much clearer to me.  The pyramids were a fantastic waste of human blood and sweat and toil.  They were immense tombs, for crying out loud.  There's no gigantic monuments here because most of those ancient things existed for their own sake, or for the sake of some tyrant, or spiritual practice.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Flix said:

When I was a child, we would take road trips around the U.S.  And back then I always wondered, "why don't we built great big monuments and structures like the pyramids or giant castles?"  All I ever saw were giant office buildings, just tall rectangles.  The only awe inspiring stuff was natural, like mountains or forests or canyons.

As an adult, it's much clearer to me.  The pyramids were a fantastic waste of human blood and sweat and toil.  They were immense tombs, for crying out loud.  There's no gigantic monuments here because most of those ancient things existed for their own sake, or for the sake of some tyrant, or spiritual practice.

the meaning of this topic was precisely to point out how the monuments of antiquity, and in the modern era electronic objects, are often built to be beautiful, thus wasting resources.

:gogo:

'There's no gigantic monuments here because most of those ancient things existed for their own sake, or for the sake of some tyrant, or spiritual practice.'

The monuments of today just look different:

C9ygRGfWAAAi9i7.jpg

North Corea? Where is this?

President Trumps says it could be an atoll in the indian ocean, or a tax haven in Panama, or a township of Belgium....!

And it is always funny to read when an outdated single tiny non nuclear submarine sneaks into an aircraft carrier group and did simulated sinks of these big monuments: U24 vs Enterprise

well, today these war giants exist to satisfy the desire of leaders (especially the West) who want to bend other states to their political ideas, without realizing that each state should think only of itself and let each people choose their own government. Think of the cold war: if America had not been involved in the affairs of the Soviet union, and had left the Communists in peace, this dramatic war would never have existed ... anyway, who are we to tell the leaders what to do? (it is better to stop writing, to avoid ending up in personal political arguments)

:nooo:

11 hours ago, chattius said:

I am still wishing to be a king. Even a small kingdom would be enough. As small as my house.....

You need a democraty to create real tyrants. Kings are always in fear of a revolution and rule in a wise way to survive. But with a democraty you have tyrants who thinks all people are of his opinion. Spending a weekend trip with the family to a museum with midage culture and music or to a wellness hotel. Wife and 4 daughters vs me and my son, ....

p.s. We two are the one for the wellness hotel to relax from the female tyranny who want to see brave nice on their fine horses ;)

Well, who do not want to be a leader...?

• 1 year later...

Well since I'm running around necro'ing old threads I might as well chime in to this one: 

is it better pragmatism or design? do you prefer a smartphone with an audio jack, or one without it but much thinner? Do you prefer a beautiful, unconfortable chair, or an ugly, comfortable one? what do you think? it is right to waste resources and sacrifice comfort for design, or ergonomics comes first?

1. Both, there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of design. 

2. With a jack please!

3. Ugly but comfy chair! Get me a lazy boy recliner any day! My GF will kick my ass but it will be cushioned :4rofl:

In general, ergonomics come first in my book. Design is second. I cannot fathom why my GF runs around on shoes that hurt her feet, but apparently they "look good" :3lmao: I will never stick to using shoes that hurt my feet just for looks. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2019 at 8:09 PM, chattius said:

I am still wishing to be a king. Even a small kingdom would be enough. As small as my house.....

You need a democraty to create real tyrants. Kings are always in fear of a revolution and rule in a wise way to survive. But with a democraty you have tyrants who thinks all people are of his opinion.

I'm very much disagreeing with that.:)
Fear is the absolutely worst, not a good motivator, and history shows that the fear of losing their power is the very reason powerful people turn into tyrants. The only being capable of becoming good leader would, as he'd need to not be able to feel any fear of ever losing his power - or his life, not be a human but a machine. I'm not in the position to judge wether this would be a wanted future for us, but I am in the position to state that the only way around that is the exact opposite of leadership - namely, the complete powerlessness over others of every human, which I think falls under the category "anarchy" (but not in a traditional sense).
As I see it, there is no way around one of those options, or else we'll forever live with fear and the violence caused by it until we managed to set us back into the dark age - or destroy ourselves.

Democracy - it might work, but, well, I don't think it has never been implemented. What would need to happen is that every decision is direct democracy, everyone can vote, but we need to get self-responsible and make sure that only those actually go to the vote, who know they can contribute something to the topic being voted, who know they have a well-founded opinion which is worth to be brought in, and who don't vote for selfish reason. Selfish, as in harming others to gain power.
Right now, I've seen little to no self-responsibility in my very vicinity. If everything can be bought with money, people don't reflect anymore on what they need. That's bad on both sides - it is not produced what is needed, and it is not bought what is needed. So as long as money exists, there can be no real democracy.

But if it works, if we manage to get there, and if democracy proves to be the way out of the other two options (which are not per se bad, just risky), then 'God bless the greek!' (whichever you believe in).:D

On 5/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, Flix said:

And...years later now, were different people right ?  I'm finding im less affected by design and more by performance.  Its important that im in touch with my family and friends. Where before the objects design as a kind of name brand (the pyramids are someone's brand right? :devil:) would be all nigh important... now its how object in my life have effect upon my relationships.  When being invited to family's houses for bbq...always be most generous.  When having family over, always be delightful,  When listening to our friends relate issues they may be having, be the best ear. 

Or as Schot says

A B C

Always Be Kindest 

If Design helps me stay close to my human relations, which is imo the MOST important thing in our lives then its good design. I can see though how folks of power can lose their way and want to impress their own designs upon many others ...but then again, thats just marketing right?

Maybe the pyramids were the precursor to Apple

:P

gogo