Amiga

Bondbug

Does anyone remember the Amiga.? If so and you are up-to-date with Amiga Forever and Cloanto then I need some advice as I have a slight problem.

Long, long ago I was hooked by a game called Player Manager (1990). I have recently downloaded a copy of this old game for the PC, and it is running. So far OK.

But when I want to save .... there is still the old demand for a disk to save to, and I am lost. There must be some gadgetry to handle this problem, but I got lost in Cloanto's very full and very excellent documentation. I have sent off a query to their support service, but it occurred to me that someone here may also be taking/have taken a stroll down memory lane and be able to help. I have a stack of old Amiga games so this might just be the start of a better life when games were more content-orientated rather than hidden behind fussy and unnecessary graphics.

Sorry Gogo, but age has not improved my computer skills or technical knowledge. Things have changed too much since my old Mac Classic and Amiga 500 - which I did understand.

P.S. The question is not essentially to do with Player Manager, but with the problem of linkage between the PC and the disks required by Amiga. However I only asked here on the off chance. A reply would be a bonus, but no reply would be quite understandable!!

Edited by Bondbug
clarification
On 5/20/2019 at 6:17 PM, Bondbug said:

Does anyone remember the Amiga.? If so and you are up-to-date with Amiga Forever and Cloanto then I need some advice as I have a slight problem.

Long, long ago I was hooked by a game called Player Manager (1990). I have recently downloaded a copy of this old game for the PC, and it is running. So far OK.

But when I want to save .... there is still the old demand for a disk to save to, and I am lost. There must be some gadgetry to handle this problem, but I got lost in Cloanto's very full and very excellent documentation. I have sent off a query to their support service, but it occurred to me that someone here may also be taking/have taken a stroll down memory lane and be able to help. I have a stack of old Amiga games so this might just be the start of a better life when games were more content-orientated rather than hidden behind fussy and unnecessary graphics.

Sorry Gogo, but age has not improved my computer skills or technical knowledge. Things have changed too much since my old Mac Classic and Amiga 500 - which I did understand.

P.S. The question is not essentially to do with Player Manager, but with the problem of linkage between the PC and the disks required by Amiga. However I only asked here on the off chance. A reply would be a bonus, but no reply would be quite understandable!!

Amiga...wow! From such a long time ago.  I remember the ads for it from quite a while back.  My cousin had a commodore 64 that he was in love and which me and my friends would *cough* commandeer :guns: because he was littler than us :D... 

Hoping that someone here has some info for you BondBug, and always great seeing you here on these boards

:)

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks pal. Been a busy month and I just spotted this. The link was great and brought it all back

Sensible Soccer - yep. I can still play that on DOS BOX. But Player Manager 1 is not a DOS game unfortunately . Nice thing about PM was that the made-up leagues were small and seasons did not last for ever. But you could design your own tactics.

Good to see Settlers at number 1. Worth playing just for that superb intro. We still play that regularly. Later versions removed the ability to start with more or less random worlds and some of the cute simplicity of the cartoon images. Other games went the same way, much of the original game being sacrificed for fancy graphics. Colonization was an example of the total disaster that could be created like that.

I play these when an on-line game is suffering a down-time

I suppose I should really have posted this in the bar rather than Tech, but had faint hopes.

I had no response from Cloanto or the other one. You would have thought that they would be interested in selling some gear.

Cheers mate.

Edited by Bondbug
premature ejaculation
  • 1 year later...

Overlooked this:

Luckily I have a still working highly modified Amiga 1000. My brother uses WinUAE for old Amiga games. In WinUAE there is a button to create safediscs.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Taken a long time to get moving on this one, thanks Chattius. I have WinUAE, and am currently waiting for a plugin reader for the old 3.5 discs though I am not sure if I need it or even if I can make it work. 

However it was an Amiga500 game that first hooked me back in1990, and as with so many games the first version was the best.....more game and less fancy graphics. I just hope that it is not just another hope unfulfilled.

:)

• Like! 1