Sacred 2 Modding - Just edit and save changes and start the game?

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, TheModderOfMiracles said:

extensively mod this game but wanted to ask if there is anything I should know

It depends on the definition of "extensively". 

Models, textures, animations can be edited, to an exception, at will. 3dsMax 8 + max -> GR2 converter(still available somewhere on the internet, I guess. If not, DarkMatters should probably organize a tool repository, I doubt Granny3D minds) + grnreader98.v2.1 + Norbyte's converter v. 1.9.0 are necessary for models and animations, Photoshop + Nvidia DDS package is necessary for textures.

Sounds and music are editable via soundresources.txt and soundprofile.txt.

The ability to edit spells via spells.txt is limited. Much of the functionality is only editable via code. s2core.dll + s2logic.dll + s2render.dll

The ability to edit quests is somewhat handicapped by the weird workings of the quest.txt and questscripts.txt.

Texts are editable via globalreseditor, developed by our colleague Pesmontis, there should be a link to it somewhere onsite.

Edited by dimitrius154
  • Respect! 1
On 6/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, TheModderOfMiracles said:

I plan to extensively mod this game but wanted to ask if there is anything I should know. When I mod the files do I need to update any files to be able to read the additions or just edit and save my changes and start the game? 

And welcome to Darkmatters, Miracle Modder!

:)

gogo

4 minutes ago, Dragon Brother said:

Extremely helpful list of tools Flix! I noticed that your link to the global.res editor isn't working though.

It's been "flagged for abuse."  Don't know if users do that or if it's just something that Google does automatically for certain file types.  I changed it to a MediaFire link. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like! 1
6 minutes ago, Flix said:

It's been "flagged for abuse."  Don't know if users do that or if it's just something that Google does automatically for certain file types.  I changed it to a MediaFire link. Thanks for the heads up.

Awesome, works a charm now!

• Thanks! 1
  • 1 year later...
On 6/9/2019 at 10:36 AM, Flix said:

Yeah it's too broad a topic for me to cover, I do better with specific questions.

General advice:

• Make a backup copy of your entire scripts folder before you start making changes
  • You don't have to repack the models and textures in the graphics.zip files (though it's recommended to save space if there is a lot). You can put them in the "paK" folder loose, if you maintain the folder structures.
  • Use a proper text editor for editing scripts, like Notepad++ or SublimeText.  Blueprint.txt in particular needs to retain its encoding and plain old Notepad is known to break the file.

Tools:

• Sacred 2 Reader/Writer: Encodes and decodes the global.res file, used for most of the game text. Some text is also stored in csv files you can just edit in Excel.  I also use this tool to get the right ID's needed to link voices to quests.
  • Sacred 2 Sector Editor: Can be used to hand place enemies/NPC's on the map, also useful for learning/checking the coordinates often used in quest.txt and other scripts. 
  • GIMP 2.8 + DDS Plugin: It's a free texture-editing alternative to Photoshop, which I couldn't be bothered to buy, pirate, or learn.  I haven't had any challenge I couldn't figure out with it.
  • GRNReader: Tool that can convert the gr2 models into files that you can import into 3dsMax. 
  • GrannyViewer: Very useful for viewing models and animations quickly.  Can't render the model with textures or do any kind of editing.

Thank you for the detailed list.

One question:

About the Sector Editor,

When I run it,  it says "Sacred 2 is not installed. Sacred 2 Sector Editor needs Sacred 2 files, but without a valid license you're not allowed to use them."

And the "readme.txt" file also says "...the game simply has to be installed correctly (with SecuROM licence)."

I think the SecuROM protection is removed in GOG(or Steam) installment. So is there a way to open this tool?