DarkMatters Site Performance - testing in progress

I've been meaning to mention this for weeks, and I keep forgetting.  I'm experiencing extraordinarily long delays when trying to post.  A simple few sentences can take up to a minute to post after hitting "Submit Reply." This happens on my home PC as well as my work computer (don't tell my boss).  I can't be sure but it seems to be worse in Chrome than Firefox.

Anyone noticed anything like this?

• Like! 1
35 minutes ago, Flix said:

I've been meaning to mention this for weeks, and I keep forgetting.  I'm experiencing extraordinarily long delays when trying to post.  A simple few sentences can take up to a minute to post after hitting "Submit Reply." This happens on my home PC as well as my work computer (don't tell my boss).  I can't be sure but it seems to be worse in Chrome than Firefox.

Anyone noticed anything like this?

I've noticed this as well Flix.  This was something I noticed was faster when we were with the old servers at MDD Hosting.. let me talk to SChot and see what can be done 

:)

gogo

• Thanks! 1
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

We're going to wait till we take down this skin and then see what kind of options we have. HOpefully our hosters can help us find solution

:)

gogo

Thanks. I guess I should add, it's only when posting that I notice any issues.  Navigating the site is silky smooth.

Thanks for giving us all this feedback.  Me and Schot were on the site last night trying some posts internally and then in the forum... funnily enough we found a internal forum posts very quickly...has fewer posts but the external posts very longly... 

which is making me think.... does number of posts in a forum impact the posting time? This database is starting to get HUGE and Schot was talking about pruning... :eek: ... lol...but Id rather drink a diet brocolli than lose a single post :4rofl:

He's running tests to see if any of the adds or his latest upgrade to the PHP has impacted post times and if we cant find anything locally we'll have to look at our hoster

:blink:

gogo

I'll add I'm seeing the same as others. I tend to just submit my post and then move to another tab while it does its thing then come back a while later and its done.

I have also noticed that when trying to browse to an earlier page on a long thread after reading the page I currently have open that the forum sits with a loading circle and doesn't ever seem to load the selected page unless I refresh the page.

• Like! 1
46 minutes ago, Dragon Brother said:

I'll add I'm seeing the same as others. I tend to just submit my post and then move to another tab while it does its thing then come back a while later and its done.

lol I've done this too

:lol:

gogo

hi everyone you've probably noticed test posts popping up everywhere, sorry for this, we're just trying to run stats on specific areas of the forum that are taking longer to post... and while some areas are SO fast we've never seen software work this quickly :lol:

hopefully we'll find this very evasive reason..

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

:viking:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to get back to this thread .. I’ve been qui53  ill these last ten days but seem to getting slowly back me mojo ... and the love for posting with it :hugs:

one of our members here 

Charon.. who has been relentlessly working on his mod for merging  and is running several threads here with community members helping as well has come up with the most spectacular (because it’s easy :bounce:) work around to help.. as he informs the post is actually  submitted very quickly to the forum but browsers just seem to “hang “ ... Work around? Simply reset the page ... voila it’s instantly unlocked. 

thanks Charon for the share

🙏

gogo

ps works from my cell phone as well

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing the same thing with the periodic lag.  FWIW, I get the same on a forum of my own which is also IP.Board although I'm not 100% sure it's actually the common factor; I use Firefox which goes through Privoxy and Squid on a FreeBSD server and then through an IPv4 NAT box.  The guy at my hosting provider reckons the latter could be the problem, I.e. no IPv6, so although neither the PCs nor the server have it configured, Firefox may be trying to use it anyway in spite of my best efforts.  That may or may not be relevant so I apologise for the blind alley!

While I'm writing, any chances someone could reconfigure the colour of the members' group tag?  Dark blue on either dark brown or black is quite hard to read...

Edited by vometia
Obvious typo spotted 0.1 seconds after submission, as usual...
  • Like! 1
9 hours ago, vometia said:

While I'm writing, any chances someone could reconfigure the colour of the members' group tag?  Dark blue on either dark brown or black is quite hard to read...

Your wish...

:wizard:

gogo

• Thanks! 1
9 hours ago, vometia said:

Blimey, that was quick!  And certainly quicker than my reply. :o  Thank you. :)

:lol: 

That worked well... happy you're happy!

... i'm just looking for a better color for the majority of members who are mostly new members...as the group of colors is now blue and the mass doesnt stand out now so much along the side panel of the group of members on the index page..,.maybe an effect^^

:wizard:

gogo

The choice of "the right colour" is often a bit of a headache; though in my case it's perhaps because I lack much in the way of aesthetic skills.  IMHO a possible guideline is that more saturated colours might be used to represent different groups of people in ascending levels of... I dunno, "importance" is probably not a good word but you know what I mean.  I'm perhaps just influenced by the standard thing (well, such as there are any) where visitors and guests often get greys, regular members white, mods green and admins red, but I think I would solicit the advice of someone a bit more accomplished in art and design than I am!