Diablo IV Time to Play! Clan Name: DarkMattters -> Clan Tag: DarK

On 10/21/2023 at 12:12 PM, lujate said:

L35 Butcher 1.  L31 Sorc 0.  That guy needs to pick on someone his own size...

zomgod...HATE THAT GUY... he has taken me out too many times.  He's OP, scary, has too much staying power and MOVES TOO FAST... if I've ever taken him out its usually by running around a pillar... i have a new wand i carry around that exchanges one line of of stats and i get three *blinks* in its place... has outlasted a few bosses now... ahhh, the goood ole Wand exchange

:D

gogo

I have to kite him most of the times, haven't run into him too much on my latest plays. Granted, it's been a bit.

By the way, D4 is available on Steam now. I'm a little annoyed I cannot carry over my purchase from Battle.net though. It's understandable but I do not like it.

I am very interested in the Steam Deck, but a few off-Steam game purchases are keeping me from making the decision to completely ditch my gaming PC. And I do not like purchasing games twice that early on.

• Like! 1
On 10/23/2023 at 10:07 AM, lujate said:

I don't think I've ever had a respectable performance against the Butcher. If I was smart, I'd just run when that guy shows up.

I was doing a Firewall Sorc. What build you running @gogoblender?

I’m running a old school Ice shards  build… Lol I find the mechanics in this game so hard sometimes ha ha and the paragon points don’t get me started… So complicated so much research to do it’s one of the reasons why I don’t switch to a new lighting build which is I heard super awesome… Lujate you are still in eternal realms right? There’s probably a chance of us meeting up. I am at level 79 now I can do a nightmare dungeon around 23 to 24 depending how complicated it is I’m not really good at that kind of stuff but I do love everything cracks and explodes with this build. 

On 10/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, Timotheus said:

I have to kite him most of the times, haven't run into him too much on my latest plays. Granted, it's been a bit.

By the way, D4 is available on Steam now. I'm a little annoyed I cannot carry over my purchase from Battle.net though. It's understandable but I do not like it.

I am very interested in the Steam Deck, but a few off-Steam game purchases are keeping me from making the decision to completely ditch my gaming PC. And I do not like purchasing games twice that early on.

weird that they dont allow the purchase..i mean d4 is supposed to be multi platform right?

how does that steam deck work..is it like a xbox that comes with tons of games that you can hook up to your monitor? no need for graphicx cards, any kind of pc anything ?

I was thinking of getting a mac, but they cant play Diablo 4...buuuut..if this steam deck can.. can i get a mac for my reg computing stuff and just connect the steam deck when i want to play diablo 4 on my monitor ...would that work ?

:)

gogo

On 10/25/2023 at 10:53 PM, gogoblender said:

weird that they dont allow the purchase..I mean d4 is supposed to be multi platform right?

how does that steam deck work..is it like a xbox that comes with tons of games that you can hook up to your monitor? no need for graphicx cards, any kind of pc anything ?

I was thinking of getting a mac, but they cant play Diablo 4...buuuut..if this steam deck can.. can I get a mac for my reg computing stuff and just connect the steam deck when I want to play diablo 4 on my monitor ...would that work ?

gogo

Well, you pretty much always have to buy games on console and PC right, so it's not that strange to me that I would have to buy the game again. What I find weird however is that (I assume) I would need to log in with my Battle.net account anyway.

The Steam deck is a handheld PC, think of it like a Nintendo Switch on steroids. It runs SteamOS, an operating system based on Linux. Valve is investing quite a bit of effort in the experience, meaning you can play a lot of games in your Steam library on it. Also, you're able to hook it up to a dock and use it as a little gaming pc with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. So from couch gaming to desktop mode and vice versa in seconds.

steam-deck-695x391.jpg

Some other major companies are working on devices like these.

ASUS came up with the ROG Ally which is more powerful than the Steam Deck, has a better screen, and runs Windows, so pretty much all game launchers work. However it suffers from these capabilities when you look at battery life, and there are quite a few mentions of it killing microSD cards because of a hardware fault:

asus-rog-ally-hands-on-18.jpg?fit=720,48

And Lenovo has the recently launched Legion Go, which is very similar to the Ally but it has detachable controllers like the Nintendo Switch:

lenovo-legion-go-tabletop_6258837.jpg

My personal ranking from worst to best would be Lenovo Legion Go < ASUS ROG Ally < Valve Steam Deck. Just because it seems like Valve is really serious about this. If ASUS actually would release a second generation of their Ally, or I could pick up an interesting deal (second hand maybe?) that would be my pick. But I am unsure how far ASUS will take this new hybrid form between console and PC.

(Note: you can buy refurbished Steam Decks in the Steam Store for a pretty discount. And keep an eye out for further discounts during Steam sales and the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend!)

I am very curious how D3/D4 would run on these systems. It's a very interesting concept to me. :)

• Respect! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 5:47 PM, Timotheus said:

Well, you pretty much always have to buy games on console and PC right, so it's not that strange to me that I would have to buy the game again. What I find weird however is that (I assume) I would need to log in with my Battle.net account anyway.

The Steam deck is a handheld PC, think of it like a Nintendo Switch on steroids. It runs SteamOS, an operating system based on Linux. Valve is investing quite a bit of effort in the experience, meaning you can play a lot of games in your Steam library on it. Also, you're able to hook it up to a dock and use it as a little gaming pc with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. So from couch gaming to desktop mode and vice versa in seconds.

steam-deck-695x391.jpg

Some other major companies are working on devices like these.

ASUS came up with the ROG Ally which is more powerful than the Steam Deck, has a better screen, and runs Windows, so pretty much all game launchers work. However it suffers from these capabilities when you look at battery life, and there are quite a few mentions of it killing microSD cards because of a hardware fault:

asus-rog-ally-hands-on-18.jpg?fit=720,48

And Lenovo has the recently launched Legion Go, which is very similar to the Ally but it has detachable controllers like the Nintendo Switch:

lenovo-legion-go-tabletop_6258837.jpg

My personal ranking from worst to best would be Lenovo Legion Go < ASUS ROG Ally < Valve Steam Deck. Just because it seems like Valve is really serious about this. If ASUS actually would release a second generation of their Ally, or I could pick up an interesting deal (second hand maybe?) that would be my pick. But I am unsure how far ASUS will take this new hybrid form between console and PC.

(Note: you can buy refurbished Steam Decks in the Steam Store for a pretty discount. And keep an eye out for further discounts during Steam sales and the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend!)

I am very curious how D3/D4 would run on these systems. It's a very interesting concept to me. :)

This was a lovely and detailed writeup you put together for us Timo :hugs: ...your article came to mind immediately a few hours agowhen Youtube put this up in my notifications window... the new OlED Steam Deck... going on sale in a few days and supposed to be mixed INSANITY .. they added some magic from Nintendo and a beautiful new deck (not upgraded cpu though yet) revealed... just the review from verge is a delight 

@gogoblender

There is a cpu upgrade though, however it is not necessarily what you might expect. The new chip in the OLED version is a die-shrink from 7 to 6 nanometer. This does not increase performance, but it ensures the Steam Deck can be cooled easier because smaller chips use less power, which in turn means (according to Valve) that it is able to run at the maximum speed all the time.

So there's not necessarily a performance uptick when you look at max FPS, but the minimum and averages could be better. Plus, battery life is better!

I watched the Linus Tech Tips review and oh boy, I am seriously considering this thing...

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, Timotheus said:

@gogoblender

There is a cpu upgrade though, however it is not necessarily what you might expect. The new chip in the OLED version is a die-shrink from 7 to 6 nanometer. This does not increase performance, but it ensures the Steam Deck can be cooled easier because smaller chips use less power, which in turn means (according to Valve) that it is able to run at the maximum speed all the time.

So there's not necessarily a performance uptick when you look at max FPS, but the minimum and averages could be better. Plus, battery life is better!

I watched the Linus Tech Tips review and oh boy, I am seriously considering this thing...

Ahhh, Linus Tech Tips..havent seen his videos in a while, was a fan of him years go! Hes looking fit and got the same great zing for his videos... I quickly pulled up Dave 2d's feedback on the deck...hes a big fan and hes primariy tech based...he had inspiring words...specially as he is a big fan of the old deck

and interesting how you said theyre getting more speed from this.. love how they came in on another angle (heat as you mentioned Timo) and still managed to up the effectivity of the product. Apparently this new deck has a larger heat sink and VERY low fan noises^^

I'd love a console to play steam library games.  I would want to play on the TV screen though like other consoles.  I suppose I might adjust to the smaller screen but would still prefer the TV.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, claudius said:

I'd love a console to play steam library games.  I would want to play on the TV screen though like other consoles.  I suppose I might adjust to the smaller screen but would still prefer the TV.

Its an amazing concept.. small screen flipping up to a big screen...though I cant see myself much often playing on that small screen since i always have access to a monitor... the idea of a portable small computer that can run games on larger monitor intrigues me.  We have a 65" LG Oled sooooo that screen is pretty  much going to win out, but for gaming I still kind of find that size too large and prefer gaming on a 24 but may move up to something in the thirty's

gogo

Well, I'm pretty sure you could use a dock for the steam deck and hook a controller up to it. That way you get the best of both worlds, similar to how the Nintendo Switch can be used.

I really like concept of these devices. More than one reviewer tells me that in the end, the Steam Deck is the most polished gaming experience. Even though the Legion Go and the Ally are more powerful and offer more versatility, with these being full-fledged W11 devices.

The appeal of a Steam Deck is so clear to me. But I wonder whether I would prefer a laptop. Also, I am so jealous of everyone in the US and Canada. I hate the fact that we don't get the transparent/orange accented limited edition here.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

The appeal of a Steam Deck is so clear to me. But I wonder whether I would prefer a laptop. Also, I am so jealous of everyone in the US and Canada. I hate the fact that we don't get the transparent/orange accented limited edition here.

I just saw this ! for canada! VERY pricey though... at this price point (almost a thousand bucks here in Quebec with taxes) , a pc (whether compact desktop or laptop)  would be interesting to me?

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023LE

Introducing the Limited Edition Steam Deck OLED, a different colorway for the 1TB Steam Deck OLED. Quantities are highly limited, and are only available in the United States and Canada.

C$ 859.00

NEW

1TB OLED

1TB NVMe SSD

1280 x 800 HDR OLED display with premium anti-glare etched glass

7.4" Diagonal display size

6nm APU

Wi-Fi 6E

50Whr battery; 3-12 hours of gameplay (content-dependent)

45W power supply with 2.5m cable

Limited edition carrying case with removable liner

Steam profile bundle

Exclusive startup movie

Exclusive virtual keyboard theme

Also...I just looked at the outputs.. a usb c? Is that good for gaming from this device to a monitor?

gogo

There's an official dock but plenty of people buy one off amazon and then have the ability to use it as a pc: charging, wired networking, keyboard and mouse, and an external display.

I would not game on a high resolution though!

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Timotheus said:

There's an official dock but plenty of people buy one off amazon and then have the ability to use it as a pc: charging, wired networking, keyboard and mouse, and an external display.

I would not game on a high resolution though!

I forgot about the dock...I guess that pretty much makes it true mini PC/kinda

So ...the deck connects to the dock via usb c and then... the dock can then power the monitor? through hdmi or another usb c?

I see a myriad of connections available!

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeckdock

:D

gogo

Probably not powered @gogoblender because I don't think it will be beefy enough to run an external monitor like that. But yeah, it will connect to a regular monitor via HDMI and apparently they are working on Freesync support. Although the deck is too underpowered for that to really matter, I think.

1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

Probably not powered @gogoblender because I don't think it will be beefy enough to run an external monitor like that. But yeah, it will connect to a regular monitor via HDMI and apparently they are working on Freesync support. Although the deck is too underpowered for that to really matter, I think.

Was wondering the same thing ... about the power supply

gogo

• 3 months later...

..so, anyone still playing D4 ?

I've heard it's coming to Microsoft GamePass March 28...

Played the beta for a bit, preordered & cancelled,

then bought it again and refunded  again after release, twice ^^

but, now that it's coming to game pass I might give it yet another chance ? :)

(mine's still active till early 2026, I bought & converted loads of xbox live credits to ultimate in advance)

PS: Last Epoch released this/last week on Feb 22,

so starting with March I might end up playing both games, alternating between the two by turns

I absolutely love Last Epoch so far regarding  character/skill system, and item/loot system also looks more interesting than in D4..

overall, it's a lot more complex than D3/D4 at first glance, but a bit less confusing than PoE perhaps ? Might be the perfect mix, but not sure yet.

The graphics/amience has changed & evolved significantly over time,

combat / hit feedback is less "juicy" , so the effects often look great, but very often you can't see or feel the impact the way you do in Diablo games..

but, overall, it's pretty good I'd say.

Servers were hit pretty hard though, already over 200k concurrent players, but things were improving slowly over the last few days since launch.

couldn't play on launch / day 1 and the day after

(but no biggie, if it's just a few days, I can wait.. Im not gonna review bomb or downvote like many others do, unfortunately.. and it has full offline mode too btw.. )

also, the last two days, I could log in online and play on EU servers without any issues, regardless of time of day, tried multiple times..

no waiting queues or disconnects, no weired server related stuff happening ingame...

(but not all issues are resolved yet, also depending from where / where you're trying to login to... it feels a bit like D3 start for some I guess, I remember I also couldn't play online for days/even first few weeks back then)

€: Dang! sneaky Last Epoch Advertising in here.. well, nah..  it's a bit too obvious.

but really, I intended to make this post solely about D4 - yet ended up babbling about something else.. my bad ;)

Edited by Rotluchs
On 2/25/2024 at 1:51 AM, Rotluchs said:

..so, anyone still playing D4 ?

I've heard it's coming to Microsoft GamePass March 28...

Played the beta for a bit, preordered & cancelled,

then bought it again and refunded  again after release, twice ^^

but, now that it's coming to game pass I might give it yet another chance ? :)

(mine's still active till early 2026, I bought & converted loads of xbox live credits to ultimate in advance)

PS: Last Epoch released this/last week on Feb 22,

so starting with March I might end up playing both games, alternating between the two by turns

I absolutely love Last Epoch so far regarding  character/skill system, and item/loot system also looks more interesting than in D4..

overall, it's a lot more complex than D3/D4 at first glance, but a bit less confusing than PoE perhaps ? Might be the perfect mix, but not sure yet.

The graphics/amience has changed & evolved significantly over time,

combat / hit feedback is less "juicy" , so the effects often look great, but very often you can't see or feel the impact the way you do in Diablo games..

but, overall, it's pretty good I'd say.

Servers were hit pretty hard though, already over 200k concurrent players, but things were improving slowly over the last few days since launch.

couldn't play on launch / day 1 and the day after

(but no biggie, if it's just a few days, I can wait.. Im not gonna review bomb or downvote like many others do, unfortunately.. and it has full offline mode too btw.. )

also, the last two days, I could log in online and play on EU servers without any issues, regardless of time of day, tried multiple times..

no waiting queues or disconnects, no weired server related stuff happening ingame...

(but not all issues are resolved yet, also depending from where / where you're trying to login to... it feels a bit like D3 start for some I guess, I remember I also couldn't play online for days/even first few weeks back then)

€: Dang! sneaky Last Epoch Advertising in here.. well, nah..  it's a bit too obvious.

but really, I intended to make this post solely about D4 - yet ended up babbling about something else.. my bad ;)

Good seeing you rottluchs!

I dont mind playing...i think i got a toon someone in the eighties..if you wanna play coop im in!

:dragonbrother:

gogo

Currently I'm not really playing D4 anymore. I did however install Diablo Immortal on my phone, played through it. Meh game at best. I think I'm headed back into SP games for a bit, enjoying Project Zomboid again. I do think I'll get back to D4 just not sure when. Or on what system, I picked up D4 on XBOX since it's crossplay, so I can play with my PC character there as well. My PC is showing it's age and I'm on the verge of retiring it. Might continue playing on my Lenovo gaming laptop, might switch to console all together. 

All in all, with our little guy my gaming time got sparse :)