Singer Barbarian

chattius

I remember really enjoying singer barbarians in Diablo 2, so I really hope it is also possible to play as a singer barbarian in D2F although I've yet to try the mod myself.

I can't believe that I still haven't finished the main quest once with any character although I've put quite a lot of time into Sacred 2. 

Still, I hope I can get a chance to try D2F because it seems very interesting.

• Like! 1

Epic Jumps

Anyone remember Epic Jumps competetion at D2LOD?

In D2F I did a very funny jump from Skull Rock down into the swamp.

Less funny but very useful: from the way point down the cliff direct to octowimp. Or from the bridge down to clay colossus, ...

And I notice that I never played ego-shooters. With a first person view you can jump long distances and travel real fast.  I am used to rpg sytle view from above and the travel speed by jumping is limited by scroll speed and way lower.

Now back to jumping -  Van Halen or Scooter while playing...

Scooter wins I saw them life three times and Van Halen's Jump only 1 time life (2005, and performed by Billy Idol at the Rock Am Ring. And Scooter remembers me about playing hardcore characters in Sacred2 ;)

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Androdion said:

Why not just use the Blind Guardian guitars and mod its attributes? Seems like a lot less work!

Killer design though. :bow:

That is exactly what I did so far ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Fear the might of a singer barbarian or how a grandma saved the world.

Sadly it takes a bit longer in D2F. Level 124 now and I was busy seaching all the mules of my daughters for halve regeneration time equipment. Something like +DurationTimeOfPotions combined with ChanceToHalveRegenerationTime, or *AllSkills and CTHR, or ....

Anyone else ever played a build which BUYS stamina potions

The damage of a warcry moved from 11000 to 23000 while reg time kept the same. More runes read in raised base damage. This more than compensate for loosing +x% damage  sockets to CTHR. I am playing a bit with equipment right now. I want to get a feeling what combinations are best - defense and offense wise.

• Like! 1

I've been rereading the guide and trying to understand it better and I think I got it now. It's all about spamming CAs and lowering regen times. I get it that at higher levels you don't want to get stuck around Grim Ward but rather have more mobility and spam Howl/Warcry. My question is this, doesn't it feel like you're doing the same thing constantly with that build? How about reversing the focus of the build and have the main CAs as high as possible and use something like Whirlwind with RpH? It would kill two birds with one stone I guess, and you could seriously increase the level of the buffs. I'm thinking that a tank with Whirlwind and a polearm with chance to hit multiple opponents would be very cool, with Howl as a welcoming debuff on mobs and Warcry as a defensive countermeasure or finishing blow. A low level investment into Stun could also be a decent defensive measure I guess. Have you considered doing Howl/Stun/Warcry? It sounds like a nice way to keep mobs in range but reduce their ability to damage your singer.

PS: Toon creation screen and the Barbarian has only three haircuts right? Just checking if that's how it's supposed to be or not.

The singer uses 3 (4 for the leap here and then) CA's and 3 buffs. That Is quite normal I think.

Using regperhit needs hits. And the first warcry will push the enemies away if they are not stunned. I am lazy, I want to play without targetting ;)

GrimWard keeps the enemies running, but howl slows them so they stay in range at higher levels. So GrimWard is more a defense to keep mages and archers running and not attacking.

The best defense is: warcry (for disarming), 3 second howling (to reduce stats and speed to a minimum), 3 warcries till elites are dead,

@Flix; I wouldn't say that the base damage of Warcry is too low: 24000 in a wide radius, per attack, 60% crits, and 3-4 cries per second, And remember enemies are real low on max hitpoints after 10 howls.

24000 against a hell boss is hard work. 24000 against a boss with only 20% max hitpoints is equivalent to 120000 damage against a not debuffed enemy. But you have to spam attacks, else the howl effect starts dropping.

That's why I am hesitating to change values right now. Howl and WarCry must be handled as a system with synergies. It is a long path and the start is hard. But it is playable in hell. If I would change anything: perhaps double  the base damage but lower the per level part. So that at CA_level 100 old and new damage values would be the same, but.....

...not to forget: WarCry can be played with a hybrid character who plays like my dragon mage sohei: weapon attacks to recharge a high level WarCry.

So at the moment I wouldn't touch WarCry values.

• Thanks! 1
1 hour ago, Androdion said:

PS: Toon creation screen and the Barbarian has only three haircuts right? Just checking if that's how it's supposed to be or not.

It is. I have reached out to Pesmontis for help on adding more hairstyles and beards. We should be able to cook up a full selection for v13.

38 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Dumb question, is the Howl debuff effect cumulative with further casts? I'm assuming it is.

It is. Unlike Diablo 2 where recasting curses and debuffs only refreshed their duration, all such effects stack in Sacred 2.  This has made balancing certain CA's a chore, especially the Necromancer's curses.  I could have made the cooldown always be equal to the duration, but in the end I liked the stacking of Howl.

Oki doki. Running a pole arm Barbarian with a Howl/Double Attack/Whirlwind combo and it's starting to shape up a bit. I've messed up the proper fine tuning of it but hey, "first time" playing it right?! :D

PS: Found another thing that's missing on the Barbarian, a mounted animation for Whirlwind. I did the Unique Mounts quest to ride a Hellhound and have my survival chances a bit better but there's no animation for that CA when mounted, so nothing happens. I've tried it in and out of a combo and the result is the same. Well, guess I'm going to go on foot like an Unsullied.

• zomgod! 1

I asked my daughter to play the Singer a bit: Level 127, Hell

Warcry

CA-Level: 110.3 --- Yes, she read 200 runes in all the warcrying aspect CA's. Char is out of money currently.

Damage: 27.071

Duration: 21s

Regeneration Time with all Buffs except Battle Orders: 1.9s

now mounted: 1,8s

now add Battle Orders: 1,2s

now add Shout: 1,1s

now drink a stamina Potion: 0,9s

0,9s this is what I wanted

put it in a combat art and have Combat discipline mastered: 0,7s

add 100% Chance to halve Regeneration Time: not shown, but 20% from CD mastery + 50% from CTHR is 70%. So 30% Reg Time left.

0,9s*0,3= 0,27s Reg Time. Let's spam it!

The Caveeat:

The 70% work only on the current combination. All other combinations are resetted to 0,9s or whatever the regeneration of warcry shows in tooltipp.

So if you have one spammable combination A with warcry and another B with howl and both take 0,3s:

Doing ABABABABABAB results in  A - 0,6s pause - B - 0.6s - A - 0,6s -....

Doing BBBBAAAA is B -B -B - B - 0,6s - A - A - A -A

This is one reason  I prefer my 1 - 4 (for bosses) seconds permanent howling followed by a warcrying till everything is dead. If there are only normal mobs there is no howling needed.

This Caveat is not in the wiki I think.

You can exchange toughness at the Singer1.0 for a weapon combat art focus easily and wouldn't have to worry for hits to use reg per hit. A level 10 weapon CA reads 0,1s reg time. The Singer2.0 replaced tactics lore and toughness for the two other tree foci. Makes better defensive buffs. In the Singer2.0 build Stun and Berserk could be modified if wanted, not for damage but for area stunning.

-----

Hell - seeing how long this single post is, writing a guide would be a long session.

13 hours ago, Androdion said:

there's no animation for that CA when mounted, so nothing happens.

I looked into this today. It should have the same animation as Bash when mounted. I'll have to test tonight but I can't see anything overtly wrong in the scripts.

The animation kind of stalls, and the CA doesn't hit any mobs. Not sure what's going on but that's what I got last night.

PS: I'm sorry, I think I must've been missing (as in not getting enemy hits) because I loaded the game and retried using Whirlwind mounted on and off a combo... and it works?! Sorry man, I think Christmas time is starting to get on my nerves and judgement... :blush2:

12 hours ago, Androdion said:

PS: I'm sorry, I think I must've been missing (as in not getting enemy hits) because I loaded the game and retried using Whirlwind mounted on and off a combo...

It's no problem.  I had just logged in to report that I tested all the weapon types tonight and they all executed correctly while mounted.  I guess it was a fluke.

Try out the build:

I play it the way that I quaff a stamina potion whenever I use shout.

I use alchemy: 4 minutes for mentors, +450% magic find, .... I put just stamina in all slots because you probably don't know the hotkeys for alchemy.

Weaker mobs just need warcrying.

Dangerous long range attackers doing some howling first.

Dangerous bosses: starting with a combination which has GrimWard in it.

For anyone who wanted to test a level 130 singer I added the savefile. Rename the CHATTIUS to an unused number in your save directory.

Please give feedback: too weak, overpowered, too much alchemy, nice build, will never play THAT, ...

heroCHATTIUS.sacred2save

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No replies...

I take that as: you are standing there with open mouths, shocked by the pure power of the singer in action ;)

I wasn't shocked and played a bit to finish the campaign in hell. While the warcry damage didn't change much my defensive buffs are way better now.

Since this topic is so quiet and no kids reading:

Do you know what my daughter said when the v12 Paladin was nerfed?

She used an old german curse: 'VerFLIXt und zugenäht!' Verflixt was historical the smaller variant of verflucht ('d a m n') because people shouldn't curse. It is only nearly a curse ;)

Then some hundred years ago there was a student song about a student being informed by a former girl friend that he was a father. He cursed his trousers which had an easy to open fall-front (no zip then) when his blood was hot and sewed the fall-front so that such an hot blooded accident would never happen again.

'Curse and sew it'

My daughter doesn't read here (no english yet) and when I said that Flix nerfed it she said: 'Wie passend', = 'How fitting'

What was that line in the melee High Elf guide? That "like the princess she is she needs a trunk full of clothes" or something along those lines?! :lol:

I'll be honest with you and say that the gameplay style on this build isn't really really my thing, the same way that the entirely passive aspect of the Paladin build pre-nerf wasn't as well. I totally get the way you built them and to which end, but my "style" varies a bit from yours and I like to have a bit more active playing even when I'm playing in autopilot. And I'll say, I've been having way too much fun with the Paladin and the challenge to get Holy Fire running properly post-nerf. Besides that all I can see right now are different ways to abuse the amount of buffs that class has, so I have no idea when I'll be able to try the other remade classes on D2F.

1 hour ago, chattius said:

She used an old german curse: 'VerFLIXt und zugenäht!' Verflixt was historical the smaller variant of verflucht ('d a m n') because people shouldn't curse. It is only nearly a curse ;)

Haha that's terrific.

I'm very happy that people are figuring out ways to make the characters in the mod shine.

My singer has mastered the second focus: so now iron skin, stun and leap are fully modded in that tree. So it is not as boring as it might sound. And I am using a cableless Logitech trackball as controller. Not a fast and prezise gaming mouse. But the trackball has the advantage that it takes less room on an overfull desk. So I can use the mousepad for placing coffee. Currently my wife is out for an emergency as a doc and I guard the desk with the cable telephone and the patients documentary in case she needs something.

I used to play non mainstream characters to test mods and games. Mainstream is tested by many, weird builds are often not tested, even by professional testers of game companies. So yes, my singer is a very stabile and easy to play character once he got the items (and levels) he need. I can just right click anywhere on the ground to howl and warcry. But why should I click 'anywhere'? I can move the mouse to the next point I want to jump to. I can do it while still enemies around and change the combat art to jump once all is dead and the mouse pointer is already at the right landing point mid in enemies for the next howling.

Much like chess, the brain is allready working with the enemy after the next enemy.

Think I bought the trackball 10 years ago? Still no need to exchange it. I am so used to it.

The pointing device defines what characters I play. I don't buy a pointing device because I want to play a quick sniper build where I have to aim every shot. I want it sloow, not much movement, best is when I can have my granddaughter on my knees while playing ;)

26-104-125-11.jpg