Test Dungeon Made From A Grid Map

SheHawk

Hooyaah suggested to me in my Sacred Temple Of Moxdoom Post, to try and do a dungeon of my very own using a grid map. I found one and I had inserted it into my Sketchup program, only t find that the squares of the grid, were not all the same size, so I made my own grid map using the Rectangle Tool and the Draw Line Tool.

Grid.thumb.jpg.4226c0cda2e02742d45fc300947fb128.jpg

Grid Map

1291739870_ASimpleDungeon.Stage1.thumb.jpg.7688ccaabd39ec20e0954e6e13b7d006.jpg

Test Dungeon. Stage 1

Edited by SheHawk
16 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Very nice work, I must say. However, I must mention that you would have more room for a more complex design were you to have a grid section at least for times larger to begin with. What do you think?

Thank you Steve, well this was just a test to see if I could do a dungeon map from just a grid. I plan to do a much larger scale dungeon design, though I will take my time with that and I also have my Sion Dungeon Project to do, using 2D Dungeon Section Images to copy from, but not a direct copy, I am in a way a copy artist, if you know what I mean? They had a whole team of them for the Marvel Comics, but those people had to be able to copy the exact same style of the leading comic artist, where as I like to change things, because I do not like the idea of stealing someone elses work, I only copy when  I can't imagine stuff, my imagination comes and goes. The Tomb Raider. Special Tomb Game level design, while I had built a pervious model, the whole thing was still completely form my own imagination, when it's really that good, it's rare, honest, I had a clear image in my mind of how the tomb looked, but I had no idea if what I saw in my head, if I could make that into a full 3D Model, sometimes I can control my imagination, but not often, like when Ben needed me to come up with the replacement duel wield combat arts for the Huntresss Character, I was able to place my mind in creative mode, it's hard to describe, I can place my mind into a sort of altered state, where I can draw from that my creative aspect, the down side to doing this though, it's exausting, so I do not do it often. I hope that helps and makes sense, sorry in advance if not.

Edited by SheHawk

Certainly, I understand, as creativity manifests itself differently in everyone and it is something that cannot be forced. I believe that you would be imminently more satiated with your works if you formed your own constructions from solely that of your own ruminations and relied not on the designs of another. That is why I am encouraging you to give it a serious try during one of those periods in which you are feeling most creative.

• Appreciation 1
16 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Certainly, I understand, as creativity manifests itself differently in everyone and it is something that cannot be forced. I believe that you would be imminently more satiated with your works if you formed your own constructions from solely that of your own ruminations and relied not on the designs of another. That is why I am encouraging you to give it a serious try during one of those periods in which you are feeling most creative.

Thank you for understanding Steve and for encouraging me to try and do something different and I am definitely up for trying new things etc. I will pretty much give almost anything a go/try and If I turn out not to be good at it, at least I know that I have tried and trust me I will do more than try once. I nearly almost did not give sketchup a chance, when I was getting frustrated with not being able to do a TARDIS for the very first time, my first attempt ended up loooking like a child had made it, it was so basic and child like if you know what I mean? I knew that I could do much better than that and that I needed to get used to the different tools for making 3D models in Sketchup, see how they work etc. My greatest strength, is observation, I learn greately from the things that I observe from, because I pay real close attention to what I am doing wrong as well as the things I am doing right and from that I find solutions to  many problems that I have come across during my time spent using sketchup. I keep going, I very rarely give up if I do not know how to do something, I only will stop should it prove that I am truly getting nowhere and I need to move onto something else, but at least I will always try something, more than just once, because the chances are, that I may not get it right on my first go, or my second or my third, I aim reasonably for out of ten times, just to be sure it's something that I really  can't do, there is always going to be a chance that I might  be able to that something, whatever that may be, I always at least, try something 10 times. I do not know what that says about me, I can only hope though, that it is a good thing?

Edited by SheHawk

I like your positive attitude, Amy! A wise professor once encouraged me by explaining that when one is trying to accomplish something difficult and it doesn't work out as intended immediately, one should keep at the problem. Somewhere, around the seventh or eighth attempt, everything just works out seamlessly. I see that you give it two additional goes, so kudos to you. When I become frustrated after so many attempts, I will usually back away and come back to the challenge in the next day or two and approach it from a different perspective after my mind has had time to work through the task subconsciously.

• Appreciation 1
On 11/28/2019 at 12:19 PM, Hooyaah said:

I like your positive attitude, Amy! A wise professor once encouraged me by explaining that when one is trying to accomplish something difficult and it doesn't work out as intended immediately, one should keep at the problem. Somewhere, around the seventh or eighth attempt, everything just works out seamlessly. I see that you give it two additional goes, so kudos to you. When I become frustrated after so many attempts, I will usually back away and come back to the challenge in the next day or two and approach it from a different perspective after my mind has had time to work through the task subconsciously.

Thank you Steve, I am deeply touched by your words. Me and you share a similar mind set, as I do too, sincerely so, sometimes if I am not getting anywhere with something, I will leave it for a while and see if I can come back and look at it with a fresh or different perspective, that actualy works, as I have done that many times before. A good example of this is that I made a bit of a start on a specisl Doctor Who story project that reimagins the Doctor's Origins, the name of his planet and his species remain the same etc. only his and their appearance is differtent and also the outershell of the TARDIS, uusing the old Edinburgh Type Police Box instead of the Mackenzie Trench model that was used for the original Doctor Who Series. Anyway, I have done story No. 1, as I hope to one day do a full complete sreies, about 10 stories in total, which may not seem like much, but trust me, that is a lot for me, I once did a different Doctor Who Project that was 13 different stories long, which made up that entire length of that  particular project. I have no other ideas at the moment, but I am not going to give up on doing that, also the fact that I have gone to the lengths of making a model of said Police Box that is the TARDIS, as well as a model of the TARDIS Console and the TARDIS Control Room.

The good thing about this particular project, is that I am in no real hurry to get it completed, so when I have the creativeness to do the next set of stories, that is when I will do them. It would be a real shame should I give up sometime further along the the way, I am not going to let that happen, I have invested so much into the project already, somehow, someway, I will finish it, as long as it takes to do so. The same thing goes for this second try at doing a dungeon map from a grid map, but bigger. I will make a small start on that today as I have some ideas, so I may as well get to work onthose ideas while they are still fresh in my mind.

Edited by SheHawk
On 11/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, Hooyaah said:

That certainly sounds like a lot of effort. I cannot help but be curious, what do you intend to do with the finished stories?

Thank you Steve, everything I do, I put my whole heart and soul into, this I do very naturally. I will keep the finished Project to add to my other 13 Doctort Who Projects, but this one, I might send the finished project to the BBC, just in case the current series of Doctor Who goes sideways, it's been far too politcal for me and I hope the next season will move completely away from that. It's actually not the first time I have reinvented the Doctor, I have done it before with my 13th Doctor Who Project, though the Gallefreyians in that one are a species called Calledonians and taking a cue from an old Doctor Who Episode: State Of Decay, vampires are involved, but they look completely different than the ones shown in that episode, they are more like the vampires as depicted in the Legacy Of Kain PS 2 Game. Anyway the Doctor in this project is in his 13 regeneration and is turned into a Vampire and from there on in he's a vampire throughout the entire 13 stores, but he does not not go around sucking poeples blood, etc. I have a lot of stories that started off first as hand written ones, as this was long before I got a computer. I still have them in leaver arch folders. I began writting in 1992 and have done at least 100+ stories all by hand, since then however, I have done all of my other stories on computer.

Edited by SheHawk
  • Like! 1

I’m in the metro now and just got got through reading this delicious topic .. Amy I can’t believe how far you’ve gotten and actually worked into your project so soon after Hooyahs suggestion.. I believe you gave acquired another skill to add to your bevy of potent creative tools... working from the ground up allows you so much control ... your future is unlimited 

:gogo:

gogo

• Appreciation 1
22 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

It would be quite rewarding and remarkable, would the BBC respond favorably by incorporating your vision, or some portion of it, into the show. I used to be quite a fan of Doctor Who, but not living "across the pond," I was viewing the show very much behind its original airing. I also found the political feeling uncomfortable and I never got accustomed to the the doctor regenerating and always just when I had become accustomed to him (or her) and it was too much like losing a close and beloved friend.

Thank you Steve, much appreciated, I have no idea, I am sure that the BBC get idea proposals for Doctor Who on a regular basis, ore semi regular, either way. I honestly do not know, I am usually the one that says, you can't change the iconic look of the TARDIS. That said, it's been a police box or one type of a police box for so long, in my way of thinking, why not reinvent it, but only if the entire show needed a complete full reboot and it is in the context I have approached the subject matter of this particular Doctor Who Project as I do feel personally for me at least that the show has gone and lost it's way and if the BBC are not careful they will lose the vast majority of the Doctor Who fandom, I know that other people watch the show other than the fans, but fans on the whole do need to be appreciated and respected and my idea of changing the TARDIS is not out of disrespect, it's a challanging what if type of retelling and reimagining of the series, but keeping some elements of the original series in there and I know what you mean, I grew very fond of Tom Baker, as he was my Doctor, when I was growing up, but I soon became fond of the 5th The 7th, the short lived 8th Doctor, the 10th and the 11th Doctor's.

Sadly no one actor can play the character of the Doctor for far too long, so the regeneration idea was a most fantastic one, without that, the series of Doctor Who I doubt would have lasted as long as it had done so and quite frankly it was the invention of the DALEKS that had saved the show, but sadly William Hartnell was getting too old etc. to play the part of the Doctor, so the idea of the regeneration also helped boost the show's longevity. I feel those two things, the doctor beign able to regenerate and the invention of the DALEKS is what truly helped the show to last for so long. But if the series is to survive in someway, then I do feel it will need to be reinvented in some form or fashion, the fans may not like the idea at first, but once they see that some of the original ideas etc. are still there, but with a new twist, I do feel they will accept the new format better. But I could be so wrong about that.  I may stand a better chance of being considered as I am going to include image shots of my model TARDIS, the control room with a console. All I can realistically do is hope and see what happens.

Edited by SheHawk
On 11/30/2019 at 9:02 PM, gogoblender said:

I’m in the metro now and just got got through reading this delicious topic .. Amy I can’t believe how far you’ve gotten and actually worked into your project so soon after Hooyahs suggestion.. I believe you gave acquired another skill to add to your bevy of potent creative tools... working from the ground up allows you so much control ... your future is unlimited 

:gogo:

gogo

Thank you Gogo, I really appreciate your words too, I am always up for a challenge, even if I should fail, at least I know that I have tried it. It is al lthat anyone can do, rather than say they are not very good at something, if it soemthing that they have never tried before, being creative is and always be my driving force, withuot that I would be so, so utterly and completely lost. May I ask you and this goes to Steve/Hooyaah too, would you be interested and respond to two music posts here should I do them, one is of me playing a variation of the Doctor Who Theme, alas not live from my bedroom, this mor to do with the fact that my concentration goes on me while playing keyboards/Synthesizers, and I end up doing it over and over again until I eventually get it right. I am not altogether sure why I lose my concentration in the way that I do so, I play be ear by the way and hope that you both know what I mean by that? I even mess up on pieces of my own music that I compose, which will be the second video post, of me playing a tune entitled SPECTRUM, it's the most newest one that I have done so far, but I have done other music videos that can be found on my YouTube Channel, I could do with subscribers, but more  so people leaving me comments on my music videos, I have plenty of likes but not a single comment, it is a bit deperssing.

Edited by SheHawk