Merry Christmas DarkMatters 2019!!

33 minutes ago, Dragon Brother said:

Merry Christmas all!

I'm sneaking a small moment of quiet time between family christmas celebrations, going back to work and friends and family coming to stay with us as we live near the beach!

lol...just like that eh... live near the beach...!

:lol:

Happy Christmas Ash!!

gogo

On 12/26/2019 at 2:29 PM, gogoblender said:

Flix,I've never had cajun for Christmas, but now you've got me interest piqued! And I do completely understand how good a Mom's desert can be... works on so many levels and completes your year.

Man, we are just stuffed!

Yes, I ate the whole cake in 2 days!  :crazy:  That's my year's worth of carbs.  

And even better, my uncle gave me a big container of the shrimp creole to bring home!  Usually it's served on white rice, but given that I'm low-carb 28 days out of a month, I'm mixing in some tuna with it instead for more protein (trust me, it goes together with the shrimp beautifully).

On 12/27/2019 at 7:56 PM, Flix said:

Yes, I ate the whole cake in 2 days!  :crazy:  That's my year's worth of carbs.  

And even better, my uncle gave me a big container of the shrimp creole to bring home!  Usually it's served on white rice, but given that I'm low-carb 28 days out of a month, I'm mixing in some tuna with it instead for more protein (trust me, it goes together with the shrimp beautifully).

Ahhh, thats what I would have liked to have dug into ... some super spicy shrimp for Christmas!  We lucked out last night, and it was the last last (or so they promise :D ) Christmas party of the year...this one was at my Aunt' and Uncle's house in a suburb of Montreal we call the West Island where I grew up...  they are slowly retiring and sold their big house in front of the school where me and all my cousins went to and gotten a compact new Condo with ... yes, two bathrooms! :bounce:  They are exceptional cooks.. Roasted marinated lamb, baked salmon, Curried Shrimp, Butter Chicken :drool:, Ceasar salad, home made Mango Cheese Cake, HOme made love cake, and Home made Rich Cake with lots of small early bites and tons of booze... k, i'm done for christmas...but, of course...there are always.. pix 

:D

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg1c918853-8407-4830-9cf2-68bacf39c1d8.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

From one extreme to the other:

5kids, au-pair, granddaughter, husband of oldest, parents of husband, parents of au-pair. boy-friend second oldest, wife me,... Evening of 24th of decembre we had a full house- Today: me alone cutting the x-mas tree in pieces.

Wife at a medical congress, two oldest daughters back at university, 3 younger kids at a ski camp from district, au-pair at language and translation school for mid exams, her parents back to NZL, ...

I am absolute not used anymore to cook for a single person, did way too much.

I am very much back to the time when I did this tread: Using the leftovers from last day as a base for the next day...

• Appreciation 1
On 1/10/2020 at 1:38 PM, chattius said:

From one extreme to the other:

5kids, au-pair, granddaughter, husband of oldest, parents of husband, parents of au-pair. boy-friend second oldest, wife me,... Evening of 24th of decembre we had a full house- Today: me alone cutting the x-mas tree in pieces.

Wife at a medical congress, two oldest daughters back at university, 3 younger kids at a ski camp from district, au-pair at language and translation school for mid exams, her parents back to NZL, ...

I am absolute not used anymore to cook for a single person, did way too much.

I am very much back to the time when I did this tread: Using the leftovers from last day as a base for the next day...

Chattius, bravo for keeping the cooking game going.  I know a lot of dads that have just given up on it and left it to their partner to keep up..but it seems like there's still  great team spirit going ... but then with a family as big as yours, this must be the only way.

:D

gogo

And... folks it looks like the awesome holidays are coming to their ending... this is actually the weekend that my family traditionally takes down the Christmas Tree... a tradition that my mom says that did back in Sri Lanka when growing up, and that, in a way, we acknowledge with the skin still up..  

Thanks everyone for keeping up with the snowy pages... this weekend say ye farewell

gogo

Our family tradition is to have a decorated x-mas tree till the day of the 'Three kings', biblical magi or however they are called at your place. Grandgrandmother was from a place where the x-mas gifts were not given at x-mas but at the day of the 3 kings (6th of january). My grandgrandpa re-interpreted the gifts from the bible (smelling oils and such) as perfume and soap. So the wives in the family got perfume at this day. He was doing the here normal x-mas at 24th decembre too. There was no Valentinsday in Germany and so it was (and is) a nice family tradition.

13 hours ago, gogoblender said:

And... folks it looks like the awesome holidays are coming to their ending... this is actually the weekend that my family traditionally takes down the Christmas Tree... a tradition that my mom says that did back in Sri Lanka when growing up, and that, in a way, we acknowledge with the skin still up..  

Thanks everyone for keeping up with the snowy pages... this weekend say ye farewell

gogo

Interesting. Can you tell us more about that tradition please?

Here is the same, "Dia de Reis" on January 6th. The Orthodox church does celebrate Christmas on that date, I think in Poland and other Eastern Europe countries it's all in that date.