Modding Area of Effect on Spells

Looking at the new Area of Effect composal.. Would you like to tell me, how do you add Area of Effect to a Spell?

I looked at  an existing Area of Effect Spell

entry1 = {"et_range_area", 200, 0, 0, 4 },

so I added an entry to a spell that I want to have Area of Effect on:

entry8 = {"et_range_area", 200, 1, 0, 4 },

However that doesn't seem to work (the previous entry is 7) and it's a Debuff Spell. I tested vs normal sized mobs.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Flix said:

The spellClass must support "et_range_area".  Generally speaking, if this token isn't already present in a spell entry, then the spell won't support it.

What spell are you editing? We may be able to get creative and change the spellClass.

Oh, so you can not add  more entries? So... where can I change the support for it?

I tested it on dr_vo_quaelen

but wanted to make dr_vo_verderbensfluch an Area of Effect spell (very slightly).

its spell class is

spellClass = "cSpellDrFluchDesVerderbens",

what are the requirements to change the spellClass? is there a .txt for the spellClass?

ps, fyi, not sure what sends a notification: I also send you a question in the other thread(s). Edaphnic Lances etc

Edited by Guest
47 minutes ago, Thert said:

Oh, so you can not add  more entries?

You can add more entries, but only if the spell class supports it.  So you cannot just add area of effect to every spell.

what are the requirements to change the spellClass? is there a .txt for the spellClass?

Generally, each player spell has its own unique spell class, so you can look at the line in each entry that reads "spellClass = ".  There are also several generic ones used for enemy spells.

but wanted to make dr_vo_verderbensfluch an Area of Effect spell (very slightly).

The only way I found to curse multiple opponents at once was to use spellClass = "cSpellDmGedankenschlag" (Mind Strike).  The one complication here is that, in this particular case, the sounds and visuals from Mind Strike also carry over. This is not always the case, but here, you might you like the change, maybe not.  Try it and see.

52 minutes ago, Flix said:

The only way I found to curse multiple opponents at once was to use spellClass = "cSpellDmGedankenschlag" (Mind Strike).  The one complication here is that, in this particular case, the sounds and visuals from Mind Strike also carry over. This is not always the case, but here, you might you like the change, maybe not.  Try it and see. 

Thanks for looking. And will all the other entries work with that spellclass? It's impossible for me to see the enemy stats being influenced ingame to test it.

Edit: This doesn't work at all: It will make my Combat Arts not show up at all (everything is blank and empty) ingame.

Edited by Guest

@Thert I have split this discussion into a separate topic as it has nothing to do with Enhanced Edition and I'd rather not have that thread become a Q&A for all generic modding questions.  It's cluttered enough as is.

We can continue discussing it here.

• Appreciation 1
8 minutes ago, Thert said:

Edit: This doesn't work at all: It will make my Combat Arts not show up at all (everything is blank and empty) ingame.

This is the result of incorrect syntax.  Most likely a missing comma.  Check the end of spellClass = "cSpellDmGedankenschlag", and make sure there's a comma there.