Normalmaps: weird format?

vometia

Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody can shed any light on the format used for Sacred 2's normalmaps.  I like to tinker and meddle with stuff so it would be useful if I could open the existing normalmaps as I lack the artistic skill to do the contouring and shading to properly generate my own, which usually look pants as a result.  I know cutting and pasting bits of normalmaps and saving the result is less than ideal, but it's the least less-ideal I have available!

Except in this case I don't have it available because I can't figure out how to open them.  Gimp's usual DDS plugin just moans about not being able to open them, ImageMagick can't figure them out and even the Unix "file" command is left flummoxed about exactly what it is.

Could anybody out there offer me enlightenment?

Just in case anybody was curious about what I was up to, and showing off my complete lack of texturing skills, I figured I'd do a chainmail catsuit as the default skin as I decided that the dental-floss underwear was just a little too silly for me.  Obviously I left the heels alone because, y'know, shoes.

chainmail-catsuit.jpg

Of course I've immediately discovered a flaw in my plan which is that some bits of armour simply have gaps revealing what's underneath and not deactivating the underlying mesh; others use their alpha channel to make bits invisible; some incorporate the relevant part of the body mesh into their own GR2 and then map them to the seraskin material in surfaces.txt; and then there are the problem cases where they incorporate part of the underlying model and then decide they're going to be clever and texture it themselves.  And that is really difficult because the sole example I've looked at so far, std-magic leggings, is approximately the same orientation as the right leg but to a different scale and slightly distorted perspective, and trying to get a useful UV map out of Granny Viewer is its own additional problem.

Having to figure out exactly what I need to paste in place, which needs to be fairly precise owing to the obvious texture, and having to do up to four DDS files (including the "now with added laboriousity!" writing the normalmap to a temporary TGA and getting Nvidia DDS Tools' nvdxa to write a U555 DDS, which I'm guessing is what Sacred 2 wants... it seems to want it uncompressed, anyway, and not doing so with the body normalmap can make the game hang, weirdly) for each of four variants of each piece of armour that needs fixing is going to be very tedious.

It's not a complete write-off but I think I may settle for the same approach I've taken with the wrists, ankles and neck and have a (supposedly) leather-look bit hiding the join as the seam will be a lot less obvious that way.

Edited by vometia
  • Haha 1

Here's a texture editing tip: use GIMP v2.8.22.  I can remember the DDS plugin giving fits with newer versions of GIMP.

These are the recommended settings for saving DDS:

image.png.7cbdf9a85a9273f4ff6dd5bbe9bb0383.png

Also, if you have a good diffuse texture in place, you can use a normal map plugin to generate one.

• Thanks! 1

A quick summary of formats I typically use:

_d(diffuse)  - DTX5, Generate mipmaps flag on

_sg(specular glow) - DTX5, Generate mipmaps flag off

_n(normal) - DTX5, Generate mipmaps flag off

icons and gradient special effects use 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32bit, Generate mipmaps flag off

• Thanks! 1

Thanks to you both for the clarification!

I've been using DXT5 with mipmaps for everything so far and somehow been getting away with it until now; normalmap for the player body seems weird as I can't get it to work without compression but it may be because I'm also generating mipmaps.  Having said that, it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that I've made a mess of something else and this was just the final straw.

I would experiment more if I had the patience to deal with Gimp's glacially slow file manager: but taking 10 seconds to come to life every time quickly becomes very painful!

Talking of which, yeah, those fits with the dds plugin: once it decides it's unhappy about something that's none of its business it just becomes increasingly unstable.  I've had so many problems with 2.10, though I find the layer groups useful for organising stuff, but I'm not sure they're worth the hassle of it just being such an unpleasant experience.

It also turns out that there aren't many armour models that try to do their own skin arrangement, it's just that typically of my luck the first two I looked at were the only two (so far) that use that particular approach: everything else seems to Just Work™.  My idea of just making it look a bit like leather with some suitably-placed highlighting seems to be "good enough", and in particular is probably better than my attempts to get my rather knobbly chainmail texture to line up.

I'm still somewhat confounded by normalmaps, though I'm happy enough with the file format I'm now using; more importantly, the game is happy!

However, creating them is still a bit of a mystery to me.  As I've mentioned, I Am Not Artistic™ so I've tried to figure stuff out by trial and error, which involves more error than anything as, well, I am not very good at it and don't really know what I'm doing.

What I have figured out is that just applying the normalmap filter to the image and hoping for the best is going to give poor results.  What gives better results is a greyscale image with highlights and lowlights applied as necessary, even though I don't really know how much is too much; and trying to contour it with a multitude of overlays including airbrush, gradients, hand-drawn (or rather mouse-drawn) areas with lots of blur applied and so on.

When it comes to "which filter do I use?  What scale do I use?  Do I need a minimum or any of the other settings?" I'm just totally confused.  I've just ended up trying out various ones and seeing what seems to end up producing the results closest to what I want, or furthest from what I don't.

The latest confoundment has come in the guise of Sacred 2's shaders.  I've noticed certain of them produce a garish yellow glow if I'm not careful, or even if I am careful; such as the magic trousers, which is one of the pieces of armour I needed to work on to fit in with my chainmail catsuit.  The shader they were using is obj_d_s_b_skin, so I figured "I don't want skin so I'll just chomp that bit off the name, obj_d_s_b looks the same so it is the same, right?

Er... well I dunno about that.  Maybe I don't need to change it since I've deleted texture3Name anyway (though maybe I should've set it to just black or something rather than deleting it) but I figured not, but obj_d_s_b has its own "issues".  I tried obj_cloth in its place but in doing so I seemed to completely lose the height mapping, which was unexpected, so I went back to figuring out obj_d_s_b instead.

My starting point is that I noticed the normalmap for seraskin was an unusually dark blue colour: it's normally lilac, so I just guessed at what I was doing, doubling the maximum level to use the full range, which seemed to work well enough as the basis for my interfering.

I tried the opposite with the magic pants and halved the brightness, capping it at 128 (actually should've been 127, but y'know).  It got rid of the glare but also made them a grey colour.  Seems with that shader at least, the blue channel of the normalmap influences the brightness of the diffuse map, confusingly.  Well, confusing to me, I'm easily confused.

So I left he blue channel alone and halved the red and green ones instead, noticing I now had something that looked very much the same as the original seraskin normalmap I'd extracted, so maybe it wasn't just an artefact of me not knowing what I was doing.

And it seems to work properly.  I now have leggings that have height detail but without the, erm, yellow glow.

This is probably all documented somewhere so my puzzlement just makes me look daft.  I don't care, I am daft.

Can anybody point me to a list of what all the maps do?  I'm sure there must be done somewhere.

So far this is what I've figured out and observed, but it's incomplete and what there is here is probably riddled with inaccuracies.

1. d or do: diffuse map, I.e. the basic colour of the model.  RGB channels do what you'd expect, do is the naming convention for the version with an alpha channel (presumed all 1s if absent) which determines the transparency, 0 being invisible to 1.0 (or 255 assuming RGB8) being opaque.  The processing of the alpha channel is determined by the opaque/masked flag in surface.txt. is the naming convention for the version with an alpha channel (presumed all 1s if absent) which determines the transparency, 0 being invisible to 1.0 (or 255 assuming RGB8) being opaque.  The processing of the alpha channel is determined by the opaque/masked flag in surface.txt.

Format is DXT5 with mipmaps.

2. n: normal map.  Red and green channels specify bumpiness (not 100% sure how they work: seems one is X bumpiness, the other is Y, but it's more complicated than that) and blue is a bit of a mystery.  Most of those I've encountered tend to have R & G set to mid-high numbers and blue either 0 or 1, but it's often appropriated for something else, as it seems to be in this case, e.g. obj_d_s_b_metal seems to consider it an overall lightness control and appears to treat R & G as signed numbers with negatives giving off an increasingly bright glow.  That may be completely off but it's based on my trial and error attempts to get it working.  Shaders in general seem to handle the contents of normalmaps differently, resulting in quirks like this or the amount of bump-mapping and so on.

Format is U555, needs Nvidia DDS Tools to read/write, which is said to produce better results than Gimp's plugin anyway.

3. sg: specular/glow map.  Shows highlights and reflections under more direct lighting.  RGB like the diffuse map but often just uses greyscale.  Alpha channel controls the specular or glow property.  Haven't tested whether this is on/off or gradual; I imagine the latter.

From dimitrius154's comment, format is DXT5 without mipmaps, which I always forget to turn off, though apparently with no harmful effects.*

4. l, lx or hx.  Dunno.  Well, I know roughly what it does, but not exactly how it works.  This seems to be some sort of colour modifying map that affects the diffuse layer; may or may not affect the specular/glow one too, I have no idea.  Often used to set skin tones and highlights but used in other stuff too.  It's another one with an optional alpha channel, hence l vs. lx or hx which I'm guessing is determined by the shader rather than directives in the surface.txt file, and probably not inferred by the filename.  My assumption is that alpha 1 means "apply the chosen skin colouring" and anything else means "don't", but different shaders may have different purposes.

In terms of naming, I don't know why there's lx and hx as they seem to do the same thing.

Format is again DXT5 with mipmaps, I think.

I think that's everything I'm likely to encounter when modding armour, albeit with a frustratingly incomplete understanding.  And skill.  And I still lack much of an idea of which shader to use, even with a whole array of examples in front of me: I think a better understanding of what they do would make me more comfortable.

Notes:

• "Apparently with no harmful effects": well, kinda.  The game now loads really quite slowly and once it goes beyond the main menu the screen goes nuts as if losing sync until I alt-tab out and back again.  I'm sure it never used to do that.  Plus I'm finding some invisible beasties like certain cave spiders and my porter imp.  Might be one of those incorrect formats; may be Sacred 2 running out of memory with the new textures; might just be another Sacred 2 bug.  As long as it doesn't corrupt my save file!
  • Gimp 2.10: just say no.  Except that I've said yes for long enough that reverting is going to be a problem, and 2.8 doesn't (easily) co-exist on the same machine.  I guess my options are to use Cygwin in some way, either running Gimp across the network from another of my machines (probably not awesome: even with a Gbit LAN I think the performance isn't great over X11), running a virtual Linux/FBSD box on Windows or probably easiest installing Cygwin's own copy, which I presume is possible to do without it conflicting with Windows' own version.

After all that, my catsuit seems to be working well in terms of making the other armour pieces seem more congruent.  Rather than doing what I often do and trying to finish everything in one sitting, I've settled for dealing with the bits that manage their own skin rendering as I find them and fix them on an ad-hoc basis, replacing the skin with either dark leather or canvas-look material depending on what I feel like doing at the time.

To compensate for covering up more I'm making her shoes less practical, so inspired by the Genesis-set peep-toe boots (which have a minor clipping problem, fixed by setting the surface.txt flag to masked and trimming off some of the overlap) I've done the same with some others only using texturing and normal-maps, which worked surprisingly well; or chopped bits off, removed EQUIPCUT from itemtype.txt and have her tottering about in her strappy spiked heels.  She has entirely the wrong personality for too much practicality.

35 minutes ago, vometia said:

Plus I'm finding some invisible beasties like certain cave spiders and my porter imp

No other mods installed right?  Wardust's Texture Mod caused both of those things (I tried to work on it over the years, too much of a pain to keep it updated).  The invisible spiders was due to a bug (he tried to add fur to them), the invisible chest imp was an intentional design choice.

37 minutes ago, vometia said:

Format is U555, needs Nvidia DDS Tools to read/write, which is said to produce better results than Gimp's plugin anyway.

This is the normal map plugin I use:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-normalmap/

With sufficient tweaking I've yet to be disappointed with the results.

38 minutes ago, vometia said:

"Apparently with no harmful effects": well, kinda.  The game now loads really quite slowly and once it goes beyond the main menu the screen goes nuts as if losing sync until I alt-tab out and back again.  I'm sure it never used to do that.

I always use mipmaps on my sg textures with no harmful effects that I've noticed; certainly nothing like what you're describing there.

41 minutes ago, vometia said:

sg: specular/glow map.  Shows highlights and reflections under more direct lighting.  RGB like the diffuse map but often just uses greyscale.  Alpha channel controls the specular or glow property.  Haven't tested whether this is on/off or gradual; I imagine the latter.

Yes, the colors in the RGB channel will affect the color of the shine/reflections - the greyscale RGB gives a "neutral" highlight.  The glow is imparted by the alpha channel and is subject to gradation - from subtle to blinding.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong with your overview; most of your assumptions look correct.

• Thanks! 1
1 hour ago, Flix said:

The glow is imparted by the alpha channel and is subject to gradation - from subtle to blinding.

One should also be aware, that the shader assigned to the material in question influences the glow level, dramatically. The worst offender is, IMHO, obj_d_s_b_mtl.

• Thanks! 1

Thanks again guys, especially for the reassurance that I'm in the right general area even if my understanding still needs some honing!

And yeah, I'm using Wardust's stuff as I like the more muted colours: easier to mix and match that way.  Or, rather, I'm using a subset of it but one that I'm certain includes the spiders and imp, so I'll remove them.  But not on a running game: BTDT and it opines its discontent by crashing.

I shall look at the plugin: I don't even recall the provenance of the one I'm using at present but "not designed for Gimp 2.10" seems quite likely.

And I shall look elsewhere for the startup glitch, which is probably nothing to do with the textures.  I did quite a lot of faffing about with the redistributables when trying to get it going which I suspect is a much more likely culprit; otoh, it's pretty stable other than that (well, and the stuttering) so perhaps I should just leave it alone.

Yes, I'd advise deleting the textures that he placed in:

maps\NPC\monsters\smallspider

and

maps\NPC\monsters\chestcreature

Depending on what version of the mod you downloaded it could be cause of the performance issues as well.  Before I started working on it, Wardust had copied over entire folders of textures, while only changing perhaps one texture out of twenty.  This bloated the size of the mod about 10x bigger than it needed to be.

This should be the most streamlined version: https://www.nexusmods.com/sacred2/mods/12

If you want to get the "fuzzy spider" look that he was going for, you can change the spider's surface.txt entry to the following:

newSurface = {
  name         = "smallspider_c",
  texture0Name = "maps/npc/monsters/smallspider/c_smallspider_do.tga",
  texture1Name = "maps/npc/monsters/smallspider/c_smallspider_sg.tga",
  texture2Name = "maps/npc/monsters/smallspider/c_smallspider_n.tga",
  vol0Name     = "maps/npc/ridingcreatures/Frosttiger/c_tiger_f.dds",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED + SURFACE_FLAG_VARIABLE_FUR,
  shader       = obj_d_s_b,
}
mgr.surfCreate(newSurface);

I hadn't installed his surface.txt as I've made so many changes to it myself!  A habit I learnt elsewhere is to not give my retexes the same name as the original file for a number of reasons but to create a new one and use surface,txt or whatever's the equivalent to link to them instead.  Fewer problems with version clashes or textures and meshes going out of sync, that sort of thing.

Of course it means my surface.txt is a constant WIP and I really need to tidy it up and run a contextual diff on it so other mods can share it.

The Wardust file you linked to is the one I'm using, or at least part of it.  I'm thinking maybe a better approach is to merge all of my mods into one of the pak/graphicsXX.zip files though I have no idea if they're loaded/searched in increasing priority or where the master list is stored, assuming it's not hard-coded.

I'm quite liking the idea of the furry spiders now you've mentioned it!

I've now merged all my active mods (Demo Menu, original GUI colours, Realistic Grass, bits of Wardust, Realistic Eyes, Exterminator and a couple of other things I forget and my own general faffing about) into a single mega-mod kind of thing and have claimed graphics26.zip as my own, which it loads quite happily without any additional nudging.

So that works, though I'm not sure it's sped anything up much; nor has moving the system/ and pak/ folders to my SSD, but I guess we'll see if it reduces the stuttering.  I understand Windows Defender is the culprit there anyway, as my previous game, Dragon's Dogma also had issues in that regard, and even non-gaming Windows use sees random pauses, they're just not as noticeable.  I'm sure it gets worse after every Patch Tuesday.

The other effect of moving my system/ folder to another drive was to cause Malwarebytes to panic about sacred2.exe or s2gs.exe or my shortcut (it's not clear which) suddenly being ransomware.  Which it isn't, though I guess it's time I did another backup.

I'm not sure this is The Solution as it does complicate things a bit, especially if I'm still picking and choosing bits of Wardust and like to endlessly faff about with my own WIP stuff, but we'll see.

9 hours ago, vometia said:

...I'm not sure it's sped anything up much; nor has moving the system/ and pak/ folders to my SSD, but I guess we'll see if it reduces the stuttering.

And it has.  "It" being one or the other or perhaps both, but since doing that I've had none of that staggering about trying to wake up sort of feeling when I first launch the game or warp to another area, so that's quite nice.  And I haven't felt the inclination to meddle with anything today (probably as a result of getting up at 1:30am: lolinsomnia) so it hasn't even inconvenienced me... yet!

• Like! 1

Back to faffing about, I spotted a "pelvis" item that had the stats I was looking for.  Unfortunately, it didn't have the looks I was looking for as it's from the Angel Dust set, whose G-string/Hawaiian-skirt-thing combo doesn't have the looks anybody is looking for.  Gimp to the rescue:

angeldust-waist.jpg

angeldust-skirt-s.jpg

It's now part of my "chainmail etc replacement" effort.  Some of the other "painted-on" armour has been quite troublesome in that regard which is why I've compromised with a leather/canvas undergarment effect but in this case I've been able to just use the alpha channel to crop out the bits of skin and it works fine.  I've recoloured it to match the corresponding Wardust set: originally red and black I've changed it to a desaturated blue/grey.

The other problem was the skirt, which was described by someone else along the lines of being hideous.  I don't object to the design so much as it just sort of flapping about annoyingly so it's had a haircut.  And I've added a few holes just out of spite.

Not 100% sure about the boots from Sophia's set, but as I'm wearing as much of it as I've found so far... I've resisted the temptation to just swap them for another model but have succumbed to the temptation to make them less practical and more absurd-looking.  Fortunately I'd already cropped the pictures before I'd thought of drawing attention to them!

7 hours ago, vometia said:

whose G-string/Hawaiian-skirt-thing combo doesn't have the looks anybody is looking for

I dislike this one as well, but for a different reason - the skirt is vertex-animated. Which means it's not controllable, unmoddable, has animation type change blending issues and eats a lot of memory. That's why I've changed it to a skeletal-animated solution. I don't care about the fluttering(which happens regardless of weather, or environment).

I really need to get to the bottom of GR2 import and export: only being able to work with textures is way too limiting.  I had a (very) quick look for Norbyte's non-Divinity GR2 tool but didn't find it and then got distracted by something-or-other.

I saw a comment elsewhere about vertex animation and don't really understand enough about the subject matter: I'm really pretty much a novice whose understanding goes as far as a vague grasp of what an armature and vertex-weighting are, and an understanding that I'm really bad at weight-painting so I'm very reliant on having something to copy.  And something to do the copying.

1 hour ago, vometia said:

I really need to get to the bottom of GR2 import and export

Heh, you won't find that task easy, just like I haven't. It's no sense to produce a silver platter. So there: there're two tools, GR2 Converter by Norbyte and grnreader98 by Pesmontis(interesting, they're both Dutch). And you have to use both in tandem: GR2 Converter is good in that it extracts to helpers, not bones and keeps the 2-nd UV layer intact. Grnreader98 is better at animation extraction(most of the time) and it keeps material(which is = texture used for Sacred2), Norbyte has has given no consideraton to the issue of materuial info loss so far.

In short: the quest is manageable, but demanding. Should be not much of an issue to one of my compatriots educated in the 80's. Unfortunately, I've received my school education in the 90's and the university education at 2000's. 

Edited by dimitrius154
  • Thanks! 1

I managed to get Norbyte's stuff working with Original Sin 2, and it also dealt with the gnarly matter of transferring weights; I think the only issue I had was its tendency (or that of an earlier version) to turn the normalmap upside down.

The materials I can see might be a problem as I've noticed a number of meshes sometimes reference multiple types.  Again, my lack of expertise just recalls problems with Blender and other games where it would helpfully split it into sub-meshes separated by material, the problems being that either the game didn't like the concept of submeshes at all or that I'd forget that just because Blender displays a given texture on the screen it doesn't necessarily follow that it's the same one it's assigned.  But that's all academic if the GR2 converter doesn't support it.

And I wouldn't make any assumptions about my education!  The education was okay but undiagnosed ADHD and "difficult teenage years" made me a less than ideal student.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure out the correct normalmap settings, something that's really perplexing me.  Okay, I admit I'm still using the ancient Gimp plugin that doesn't really work that well with 2.10, but y'know.  Though it has its problems, I don't think they're related to what I'm seeing.

What I'm seeing is that Sacred 2's interpretation of normalmaps seems to have a significant gloss component to it, which is really confusing to me as this should really go in the _sg file, so what's it doing here?  It also seems to vary according to which shader group is being applied to the material in question.

The problem arises in that I have to use the NVidia command-line tool readdxt to open the _n files as the Gimp plugin can't understand them: it produces either garbage or error messages.  The TGA that readdxt outputs looks weird, it has an alpha channel set to all black and a very dark-looking normalmap; I've found that applying levels with input set to 0-127 and output to 128-255 usually gets it looking more like I would expect and often the game displays them correctly.

But not always: I often get an unwanted shininess, which is overpowering if I just re-save the normalmap I just extracted, and sometimes a fairly ineffective normalmap too.  I've had to experiment with various input and output settings and sometimes it seems to work, other times it doesn't.  I'm really pretty flummoxed by the whole thing.

It may simply be that I'm using the wrong tools for the job.  I dunno, something is obviously amiss somewhere.  It's also quite troublesome trying to even generate new normalmaps in the first place, and while some of it is down to the effect you want, it seems that the game engine can be a bit capricious about how it interprets them.  Sometimes a cut-and-paste of different maps works just fine, other times I have to do my own greyscale image, manually shade it and then experiment with various settings until I get something that looks okay.  Sometimes it's close to what I want, other times it's meh, but it's seldom spot on.

Of course none of this is really important at all.  Maybe I should've said that at the start!  It's just my usual fascination with "I like changing stuff because I can", though in cases like this I think "because I can" is rather too bold.

While I'm not faffing about with that, I decided to re-localise the curiously-named en_UK into, well, English what I use.  So I've changed most of the spellings I can think of from their default US variants; only I did it using global replace and realised I have to be careful with stuff like "center"->"centre" as the bits of embedded XML use the former as a keyword and may or may not accept the latter; I've opted for "probably not" rather than putting it to the test.  A minute's loading time may not seem long but it's excruciating when you have to do it repeatedly: looking at you, Priest Ordination quest.  Grr.

I often noticed when I imported normal maps from other games into Sacred 2 there would be a golden shine on the "highest" parts of the map.  To solve this I "normalized" the maps further (I believe this is the actual term), basically lessening their "intensity." You'd want your custom normal maps to mostly be in the blue/purple territory. You start getting too pink and you'll get the shine.

The "real" normal maps that shipped with the game use a different format than I'm used to working with. They're green and red and I'm not sure how to replicate them.

I'd really only be useful for specific advice if you were using the same version of GIMP and the plugins that I'm using.

11 hours ago, vometia said:

I decided to re-localise the curiously-named en_UK into, well, English what I use. 

Ah yes, once upon a time (Fallen Angel) there were distinct UK and US localizations.  After Ice & Blood / Sacred 2 Gold, there remained only the UK, which became a sort of b@stard of the two.  With CM Patch (slightly), and my mods (significantly) I completed the transformation into US English (sorry to friends across the pond).

Oh I see.  Well, kinda: I still don't really understand how normalmaps work in any detail but it sounds like what I should be doing is focussing on reducing the intensity of the red channel.  I did wonder if there was a relationship (or more specifically an imbalance) between red and green.

The blue channel is often unused which is why some games have greeny-yellow looking normalmaps as it's all set to zero, though I've noticed that at least some of Sacred 2's shaders seem to use it as a dark-light control.  It's not unknown for studios to repurpose "spare" channels for other things and I can see the advantage as it reduces the number of files required but it can be confusing.  Especially when it seems even individual channels can have dual purposes as with the red one here, unless it's just a bug.

I hadn't realised it had been converted into US English when I'd converted it back!  Makes sense for a European studio to use the local spellings, though not all do.  But it's one of those things I find distracting; I guess I'm easily distracted!  I'd already put together a sed file for Dragon's Dogma to convert the localisation, which sadly didn't work as the text file compilation thing didn't seem to work (or perhaps yet another case of "you're doing it wrong": I'll usually find a way, by which I mean the wrong way) but it formed the basis of converting the Sacred 2 strings in one go.  Well, in about a dozen goes.  But I really need to work on my regular expressions to avoid changing stuff in XML directives.

Well I spent half the day going through the localisation file because as is so often the case it suffered mission creep and I decided I needed to fix the various typos and grammar.  I doubt I'm anywhere near finished and have probably added a few new gaffes of my own!  Over 50,000 lines is a lot of text.  But in what is certainly a bit of a case of reinventing the wheel, my "relocalisation" file has grown so I'll be able to employ it elsewhere.

I dunno if it's worth sharing it to separate out the en_UK/US localisations again.  I suspect it'd just cause confusion; on the basis that it's kinda what I do.