Corona Virus - COVID 19

11 hours ago, Delta! said:

We have had masks mandatory here in South Africa since end of March/beginning of April. at first some people thought nothing about it, till they realized they are not allowed to enter supermarkets, malls, pharmacies, any where else where you need to buy "essentials".

South Africa has now moved to stage 4 of lock down, so a few more kind of stores are allowed to open, restaurant and bars/clubs, as well as wine farms are still closed... we are not allowed to drive very far from home and you need Government approval to go to work. Our work at least applied for all of us that was asked to stay on, only 5 staff in a kitchen that usually has like +-18 people on a shift... we are only preparing food for the Shop to sell, baking fresh breads everyday, a few desserts and candies, ice creams, cookies, biscuits, rusks, and freezer to oven meals, some savoury snacks and easy meals, pies, etc. Obviously food is not allowed to be consumed on the premises. they must go home to eat there or go and sit in the car to eat the purchased food...

I think were in same kind of mode here in Montreal.  Stores are opening up with some restos opening up as well with only take out available.

:)

gogo

Last day with full house... Schools (not universities) are opening tomorrow with half class size for two days a week. Nephews and  nieces will be back at their parents.

• Like! 1

I was telling some customers that.. while the first month's tribulations of having to weather it all at home with our families 24 / 7 could have "perhaps" been responsible for some near death experiences  :lol:  ...turns out we can all get along with each other after all...  humbling

:blink:

gogo

German government allowed more freedom, so states and districts can react more locally. However they installed a fallback: a district which has 51 new cases a week per 100000 people has to react or is forced into lockdown again.

The most discussed number is R, how many people an infected person infects. If he infects more than 1 the disease spreads, if below 1 the disease will be slowed more and more. 1.1 for months will be overflood hospitals beginning in octobre. We are moving between .8 and 1.05 the last week. So it is still a very fragile situation.

School starts again. So today is the first day the light weight car for our third came to its intended use: avoiding nearly two hours public traffic a day when visiting school.

I started this topic mainly because of the car we bought not knowing that a lockdown will happen ;)

• Like! 1

🦠may cause 🤧 so always wear 😷 else you end 🚑 because there is still no 💊

Daughter reported school as big confusion: only half number of seats in classroom to keep distance. One day half of the class is at school, the next day the other half. She is the only girl in the half class and if school is mainly opened to allow kids to have contact again with friends - she is obviously in the wrong half of the class. Why weren't kids asked first which half classes should be made...

She asked the teacher how seat places in the class would be done... alphabet he said. My daughter said no, she won't like it to have all the boys in her back... In which order kids would leave the class... He said first in first out, daughter said first in last out would be better. because then the people in last raw would have the least contact and she has a high risk sister... so sitting in the back below the fresh air intake would have least risk for her, ...

And when class started they were at the same exercise in the book they were before easter breaks... Because some kids had done nothing in all the weeks be it lazyness or no internet access at home. So she was happy to sit in last row in fresh air and could write a request to be put in the other half...

Today the twins are at school, wonder what they will report. There class teacher was at least visiting from time to time to see the progress at home learning.

• Like! 1

Nearest mall:

Most places for resting removed. The remaining ones are for old and handicapped people only. One way walking: you enter and have to walk anti-clockwise in a way that the shops are always on the right hand. Fountain is removed, Face protection is mandatory. Dependant on shop size limited amount of people. People not in a household have to keep distance. To make room so that people can pass each other in a shop , the shops reduced the amount of different things they sell.

Big disadvantage: Our three oldest daughters were told by three shops that they removed all clothes and shoes in their size because the stores had to make broader pathes and are now specialized in standard sizes mainly. Their body mass index is on the lower side, they are just very longlegged and from 184 to 198cm.

Online ordering for not standard sizes is gambling... A cut which looks good for 165cm may look ugly at 190. So we will do a trip to Frankfurt at saturday. I phoned a shop for tall people.

• zomgod! 1

I think the most stupid it is for the teenagers on countryside who are not yet allowed to drive a car. No chance to meet friends of their age. Even at school: classes start not the same time but delayed. So always the same 10 people of a half class have a pause, no others. the same teacher all the time, ... meeting with friends at school was different in my time.

So I'll be back to work next Monday, as it is opening day for the shopping malls in my country. We'll see how that goes. I'm going to have to work with mask, facial protection and glasses... Tried the kit yesterday and nearly stopped breathing since we're having a heatwave with temperatures around 35 degrees. So with no AC and two layers that prevent me from breathing properly should that be enough to make me collapse with shortness of breath? I have to stay up for six hours straight in that setup... Oh well, noblesse oblige.

People's behaviour is what bothers me the most as though many people inside supermarkets and stores still have enough care to stay away from each other, the fact that we're no longer in an "emergency state" and that everything is functional once again makes people think it's all fine and dandy. With this intense heat all you see are people drinking in the outside spaces of the cafes and restaurants, and of course that you don't need to wear a mask if you're consuming something in those spaces. So basically I just need to make that drink I order last and I can be in the sun for hours without a mask and no one gets to tell me otherwise. Cute right? Beaches have also been full, even thought restrictions were implemented. So yeah, come next Monday I don't know how people are going to react to the reopening of shopping malls. I hope they don't come out in full idiot mode.

There is a quote from Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach which was never more true than in these times:

"Vernunft annehmen kann niemand, der nicht schon welche hat"

Vernunft is rationality, reason, sanity.

Annehmen would be accepting

Vernunft annehmen is often translated as: seeing sense

So in English it would be:

To accept rationality you have to be rational already?

To see a sense in something you should have open senses?

Trump is flaming China, some flame Bill gates, or flaming greedy Austrians who allowed parties from tourists knowing that the virus was there, ... or Trump was planing a biological attack on China which backfired. Proof: Trump and his family are not wearing masks because they were immunized before the Virus attack on China. And now he will invite chancellors and prime ministers from G7 to the white house to infect them and get rid of them...

If it wouldn't be so sad and dangerous, reading all these conspiracy theories could be funny. Every in pandemy theory told us for years that the next big one spreading from animals to humans would be just a question of years. And now we wonder that it happened and nobody was prepared...

The slogan below normally reads: Gib Aids keine Chance/ Don't give Chances to Aids

Bill-Gates-WHO-Corona-Demo-1.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 5/28/2020 at 10:47 AM, Androdion said:

So I'll be back to work next Monday, as it is opening day for the shopping malls in my country. We'll see how that goes. I'm going to have to work with mask, facial protection and glasses... Tried the kit yesterday and nearly stopped breathing since we're having a heatwave with temperatures around 35 degrees. So with no AC and two layers that prevent me from breathing properly should that be enough to make me collapse with shortness of breath? I have to stay up for six hours straight in that setup... Oh well, noblesse oblige.

People's behaviour is what bothers me the most as though many people inside supermarkets and stores still have enough care to stay away from each other, the fact that we're no longer in an "emergency state" and that everything is functional once again makes people think it's all fine and dandy. With this intense heat all you see are people drinking in the outside spaces of the cafes and restaurants, and of course that you don't need to wear a mask if you're consuming something in those spaces. So basically I just need to make that drink I order last and I can be in the sun for hours without a mask and no one gets to tell me otherwise. Cute right? Beaches have also been full, even thought restrictions were implemented. So yeah, come next Monday I don't know how people are going to react to the reopening of shopping malls. I hope they don't come out in full idiot mode.

You wrote it out so well.  I can see/feel what you're talking about.  The times I go into a public space for groceries has always been claustrophobic moments for me with the mask on.  Een the colorful ones made with love and sent by post from my cousin's wife dont cut that feeling.   There's so much "mood" in the air... every time I walk into the grocers I feel like I cant predict what others will do.  Like they're on edge like they'll roll their cart into me purposefully (did I mention that when you walk int our grocery store now you MUST take one of the offered carts who's handles are wet with some substance they so is disinfectant but you dont know what...

Feeling this with you Androdion, and really hoping your Monday goes okay... having to have that mask on for so long...

xoxo to to all our hospital workers out there who go through this so often

:superman:

gogo

You have to use carts because the store is only allowed to have a certain amount of customers a time. So they limit the number of carts to this amount. At least here in germany.

Some sorts of visors are allowed here. More comfortable than a mask for people who have to sell stuff and forced to wear a face protection whole day. A sort of baseball cap to lower the airflow to the head and  a light shawl which covers the lower part of the visor...

We are used to our selfmade 3D-printed masks. Have a lot of breathing room before the mouse and nose. My wife is preferring the ones with a transparent part. She was used to smile to patients when all was okay and with a normal mask nobody sees the smile. She says it is important for some patients to notice face expressions of the docs to calm down.

You could also visit a store for halloween costumes and buy something like this and terrify people when walking on the street...

61hIVp+IdOL._AC_UL320_.jpg

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, chattius said:

Hope all is okay. Dentists here only do emergencies

Thanks Chattius!

It was actually only in for a teeth cleeaning

every single  room in the office is zipped off with new curtains and zippers that go up and down..u kind of get sealed into a bubble :lol: they buzz you up, only one patient in the waiting room allowed at a time, and , of course, the requisite lots of pump stations for disinfecting.  And when you walk in, you have to empty your pockets put them all into a sealed snap tite, followed by a one minute rinse to sanitize your mouth... whew... so much prep!

I had a cracked tooth that I had to get fixed today... return today for a quick twenty 25 minute job...

woot!

:D

gogo

We have almost all restaurants here in mtl opened except for Mcdonalds and A and W...  though it seems like right now everyone is waiting for a second wave?

:oooo:

gogo

Restaurants are allowed to open in South Africa from yesterday... seating has been limited and sanitizers and disinfectants must be everywhere.

2m distance in restaurants, serving personal has to use masks and single use gloves, ...,

My friend opened his restaurant and said most people prefer his new idea using a barn. He made an Aussiedlerhof (out settlement farm) into a restaurant. In old times farm buildings were part of the inner village to defend against robber knights. After WorldWar2 many farms were rebuild a bit outside of villages. He bought a given up and turned it into a restaurant. Disadvantage it is not reachable easily with bus, train or feet. Advantage it is a nice countryside location.

He emptied the barn with the big two doors, cleaned it and placed the desks and chairs in it. At these warm summer nights he can open the big double doors and one of the biggest problems is solved: not enough venticulation in closed rooms.

But south africa has winter now?

We are a bit sad: our au pair girls is leaving this weekend. The one year is over now and the authorities allowed a flight back to New Zealand.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, Delta! said:

Restaurants are allowed to open in South Africa from yesterday... seating has been limited and sanitizers and disinfectants must be everywhere.

I was thinking about your place, Theuns... I've seen some articles here about restos that were furious that the new seating laws for spacing didnt allow them to have enough space to open up outdoors, and in once instance one of my favorite haunts for ribs and chicken from old days closed down, with some restos saying that with all the new restrictions they cant seat enough at once to make enough money

:sigh:

gogo

Yes, a Restaurant mid in town I know can't place people outside because street is too small, below 1,5 metres In the house, with one way moving, distance and others - from the normal 120 seats only 4 desks can be used. with luck it is a family with 6 people, if not ....4 people from 120 don't need to calculate that is not enough.

My friend was lucky that he was allowed to use the barn which normally was full of landmachines and he has enough room for outdoor service. Some companies ordered the barn for meetings, so he is happy. His plan to write a book about worldwide cooking is delayed after page 100 it seems.

---

Some people won't have income this year.

A small circus is trapped 10kilometres away. No town allows it to move there, built up tents and do a small show with animals. Not tigers or elephants, it are just dogs, donkes, and such. There was  a drought for two years in this area so even farmers spend some hay and stray in february, they need the rest for their own animals.

Amusement rides owners used to move from town to town, from event to event. But all big events are cancelled this year. But maintainance costs are still there.

---

Many students used to work in restaurants, cinemas and such to cover the costs for universities. Only a handful jobs remained. Our #2 was just starting second semester when the shutdown at universiy happened. She is helping my wife with easy cases and documents all in hope that this counts as practicum. The husband of our oldest was in final semestre for becoming a bridge building engineer. I have him at our company now, so he can do some practice with explosives, cranes and such. University said it will be enough for showing practical experience. Good that I still had my license as assistant university teacher. Three more students from co-worker families will get similar practice and papers.

---

Myself, I count me lucky that we did the right decision to move our limited resources (running at 50% capacity) away from building special metal parts for planes to medical parts. Not much planes bought at these times. We spend a lot of money on buying new equipment last months. Installing and learning how to use it is in another building. This is what the 50% not working in production people do right now. So if :eek: happens the other 50% can take over production if the other half is in quaranteene.

• 2 weeks later...

Covid-19 hasn't helped my stress/anxiety levels much (which are perpetually awful), but I'm hanging in there I guess. Where I live is relatively safe and being isolated doesn't bother me too much.

Going grocery shopping and to the post office are my only real areas of risk/concern, but I take as many precautions as I can. I really need to stop watching the news, cuz this isn't helping me lol  Normally, I've historically avoided watching that stuff...

Actually I am quite afraid what will happen when the hormone driven generation returns from vacations...

Several companies I know give an extra 5 days to embloyees. They want them to stay at home after vacation for a week and do a test before returning to work.

There are several unanswered questions about covid19 still:

How long people will be immune after an infection: a light infection may result in nearly no immunity.

What damage can a light infection do which remains unnoticed: seems micro scars in the lungues (which maybe cause a bigger infection the next time if not immune). head ache might be a brain infection -with chance to cause mini strokes...

Covid19 is still too young to know possible damage to unborn (my oldest is very afraid of this)

Are some tests showing false positives? Some animals have an other type of corona infection. Farmers close to the animals show statistical more positive results for covid19 at some of the test variants

and and and ..

I may be paranoid. But I was immunisized against measles as a child. End of summer breaks I got extremely high fever and docs said probably a virus. They excluded measles for a week because of the immunisation. Then it became clear that a measle subtype from the mediterran wasn't affected by the immunisation and a family returning from sicily brought it in.

The result was that it got me in my main growing phase. Legs and torso grew normal, but my leg growing was slowed. So I soon had the nickname 'Monkey'. 194cm and an arm span of 237cm.  Great for swimming but worse for running. So I handle this new beast of virus with highest respect. I take the most worse information about it as true, just in case to prevent my kids and grandchild from a similiar infection I had.

• Like! 1

Good that I wrote about measles, long forgotten memories repopped. At time of the measles we lived at my mom's town Wetzlar. A small part of Wetzlar was used by US Army to house families of soldiers because there were not enough houses at the few miles away River barracks in Giessen. Giessen had several hospitals, university, german army, us army, ... and so I was moved there at the kids hospital in an isolation room. An american black girl exactly same age had measles too the next room. I never had english at school but learned from american kids in town speaking -not writing -it. She had a bit german at school. We talked about music, school, .., Both of the rooms had a little balconry so we could open the door and make the music loud so the othe could here it. I said exactly same age because the funny thing was we shared the same birthday and so we were writing birthday cards for nearly 20 years. Then her dad wrote that she diseased when giving birth to her third child, anorythma.

No contact till 3 years ago when her dad died too and the oldest child found letters. While at army I used by mom's address and luckily she never moved. So a letter in german from her youngest daughter found my mom's place. She said she found the letters and a diary and the address and wanted to know more about her mom when she was young.

I wrote that we were just at hospital together for 6 'endless' weeks, had same birthday and what we talked about ... She wrote in the diary was an entry 'gefährlicher Gesang/risky singing' and I wrote it was probably we weren't allowed by the docs to sit on balconry to listen to music (and even less allowed to sing) but a young nurse in training tolerated it. My oldest sister searched some picture from the time at hospital. Mainly we weaving down from the balconry down to the place where my sister stood for doing the photos. My oldest daughter has loose contact still, she and the girls daughter nearly same age.

The story about the measles I posted somehow went subconscious and at 3 in morning I had a memory: gefährlicher Gesang, I would have know right away if the letter would have been in english and the album name not translated. Nice collection of 'dangerous' songs, some political some 'medical' like (mommy said don't put) Beans in My Ear...

Seeger did an English version of an old German song on the album and modified it a bit for better singing. I was singing the german original and we discussed the changes. My singing must have been better than the best joke. I have posted that the measles got me in my main grewing phase, when boys voices change?

Seems my daughter has something more to write, at least the girl now knows what her mother was listening to as a child.

...and free men will cry: Die Gedanken sind frei... Thoughts are free wouldn't have rhymed to cry

717c3REh2LL._SL1500_.jpg

Don't know how it is at your place. Government would like people to install a corona-app on a volunteer basis. If two users of the app are close together the contact is saved. If an user is tested positive for covid-19 all contacts are informed automatically.

And now my problem starts: my insurance wants me to use a very robust lone worker smartphone, which detects falls, no movement, being under water, in great heat, very long standby time.... and reacts on a programmable list: no alarm if you are a professionable diver and being underwater, but alarm call if not moving for 5 minutes... 

So I need a phone with a certain certification. Corona-app however needs a smartphone with a quite new OS supporting Bluetooth LE. The set of all smartphones covering both is quite empty :(

• Like! 1