Physical centered without Conversion?

Hidiho,

without going into too much detail - I have read the damage conversion and know the armor formula etc - I'm wondering, why I always read the recommendation to convert Damage on weapons...(?) And why is there no Physical Buff-stone (to socket into instead of Larvae for isntance) (?)

SO usually it's recommended to either concentrate on Poison, Ice, Magic, Fire - Or have one of them in each weapon slot (if you want).

However when you look at the armor formula... And looking at Conversion will reduce your physical damage by at least 50% (depending on which level your stone is), this will almost remove my physical damage to a decent armored enemy. (Because If I have only 33% physical on my weapon left... that will be reduced much more than just to 1/3 damage, thanks to the armor formula... So the goal should be to have only one sort of damage on your current attack!(?)

Correct me If I am wrong, from that I conclude following viable ways to play a weapon user without looking at any specific gear:

- I could rather let only the physical on the weapon (no stone-sockets) and concentrate on +physical% on my gear (and then 'Chance for open wounds' via modifications on CAs)

- Or I could convert the weapon and then only concentrate on that element (for instance +%poison damage) (and then skip 'Chance for open wounds' via modifications on CAs and look for the other ones if I can...)

- Or I could have one conversion in each weapon slot and concentrate on +all damage% (and then skip specific 'Chance for <specific secondary effect here>' via modifications on CAs)

I'm just wondering the pure physical variant is not mentioned (not explicitly) - Anything to comment to that?

Thanks alot

Edited by Guest

I'm not entirely sure what is it you're asking, but if the question is why focus on elemental damage modifiers instead of just using the base physical damage then the answer is simple. Most mobs will have both physical and elemental armour of one or more types, so if you concentrate your weapon damage on an element that the mobs have no armour against you'll cause much more damage. Like socketing fire damage against ice creatures and vice versa. The idea is to oppose the amount and type of armour that a mob has by changing the damage type in your weapon via socketing.

Hope this helps.

My philosophy for weapon-using characters is to keep 4-5 different weapons, each attuned to a different damage type - basically filling up all the weapon slots and making use of most or all of the damage converters.

Pure physical builds are totally viable in Sacred 2.  I wouldn't treat player-submitted builds and guides as holy documents; they're just records of things people did that worked for them.  Sacred 2 has far too many possibilities to ever say there's a "right way" to build a character.

It does make me consider that there could be any manner of new items that could go in those damage conversion slots.  They wouldn't have to have any conversion properties.  Hmmm.... you've got the wheels turning now...

Taking my previous words of "opposing the predominant armour type" into account, if you go against an elemental which has only elemental armour then pure physical damage can be a great opposition as well, like Flix says.

@Flix - Would you say that physical+secondary effect or elemental+secondary effect can have the same impact, or in alternative will one of them have the upper hand? We all know that magic and ice damage don't cause extra damage via secondary effects unlike fire and poison, so do you think that physical with deep wounds can equate to fire and poison in terms of raw damage?

On 3/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, Androdion said:

I'm not entirely sure what is it you're asking, but if the question is why focus on elemental damage modifiers instead of just using the base physical damage then the answer is simple. Most mobs will have both physical and elemental armour of one or more types, so if you concentrate your weapon damage on an element that the mobs have no armour against you'll cause much more damage. Like socketing fire damage against ice creatures and vice versa. The idea is to oppose the amount and type of armour that a mob has by changing the damage type in your weapon via socketing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, yes helpful!. I know I wasn't too clear, the question was the sum of all sentences. Your understanding was correct.

My point is that it was better if a) the enemy  - simplified - has all 5 armor types at the same value -> then having your damage concentrated would net the most damage. And if b) you haven't converted all your damage and the enemy has a certain amount of multi armor..., the unconverted damage would be the most concentrated damage - so to say a pure variant, however you achieve it (at high level you have almost full conversion, and there are random existing conversions which make it almost full, so that would work too, the thread was about the physical indeed).

ps: A CA-based conversion would be another topic... since it dictates your element and overwrites your current conversion (or adds but turns it into a single conversion)... this exists for instance on Ravaged Impact (Dryad), b2mod.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:29 PM, Flix said:

My philosophy for weapon-using characters is to keep 4-5 different weapons, each attuned to a different damage type - basically filling up all the weapon slots and making use of most or all of the damage converters.

Pure physical builds are totally viable in Sacred 2.  I wouldn't treat player-submitted builds and guides as holy documents; they're just records of things people did that worked for them.  Sacred 2 has far too many possibilities to ever say there's a "right way" to build a character.

It does make me consider that there could be any manner of new items that could go in those damage conversion slots.  They wouldn't have to have any conversion properties.  Hmmm.... you've got the wheels turning now...

Thanks.

About the manner of physical new items: Basically the already existing "stones" will increase the respective secondary effect chance% (in addition to their conversion), while the physical one doesn't, so a generic addition would be one that - well... - increases the physical secondary effect chance.

That would be the main point from my perspective.

But since there are also elemental weapons, or weapons that have any% of physical + any% of elemental... just making a generic physical stone variant that would convert that %elemental to physical (on top of the "default" secondary chance amplifier) would be the balanced generic answer. (if physical wasn't too strong then, after all taking the initial design of the game)

Nothing else to add or to ask from my side. thanks for the answers.

Edited by Guest