Item type/sepcific item drop logic from the game (as far as I know)

Hi guys! :)

Since I've came back to Sacred 2 and, as many players, I am always looking for specific type of gear. For quite a while, I thought that the usual bargaining/enhanced perception/+% to find valuables/quests were the main (and only) things to keep in mind to get some good loot (that and a few places like the orc cave).

The thing is, I am starting to wonder if there isn't some kind of hidden logic in the way the game choose your drops ... and by that I mean what you already found in the sense that what is in your chest, bag but especially equipped items seems to have a huge effect on the type of drops you get.

Let me explain:

First of all (and this was an accident), I discovered in EE that divine shield has a mod that boost willpower .... boosting the shield HP in the process. And I thought ... nice!! I had trouble finding a good weapon and, as luck would have it (still totally random it seems at that point) I got my very first lightsaber!!

And of course, I quickly realized that the willpower mod DID boost the lightsaber damage and quite significantly at that (of course it took me a while to fully leverage that with my caster gatling gun mentalist seraph).

Guess what started to happen in my next drop rates in the coming hours of play .... MORE LIGHTSABERS!! They were non existant before ... and since using one ... BAM!! Voilà !! And after using a very nice essence nunchaku yellow lightsaber for a while ... I found windu's mace. Cool I thought ... but it won't last .... ahahah the naiveté of inexperience :D

And of course, at regular intervals, I get an upgraded windu's mace version ... and so far I have been using it for ... a loooonnnnggg time. ( the +% to combat art range is really what sells it for me but that's off topic!).

Anyways, I tried leveraging that "possible find" in all sort of various ways ... with limited success ... and sometimes I lucked out big time!

Another episode was my first "deathblow" ring ... which I, of course, quickly socketed ... followed by a few lightsabers with also "deathblow" ... nice!! Guess what happened afterwards ... more deathblow jewelry :O 

Now, I won't say I am flooding in it ... but simply having a lightsaber with the mod ... even in a slot I am not using seems to give me more deathblow jewelry as a result.

Now I tried to get an upgraded version of the wings of one set of the seraphim (the Artifact's set) ... and this time ... it didn't work :O

What did work however, was getign several version of other set items I already possessed :O

Even strange and better very recently, I started doing more quest in order to get more set items. I had on plan to find more seraphim virtues for a while ... and starting forgetting about it for a long time.
I decided to put all the set items I already had to test the +% to inflict burn/weakness etc ... and .... a few quest later ... BAM!! two items from the set ... that I didn't have before!!! :o :O :O 

Wow!!

Needless to say instantly equipped .... yeah I know caster seraph ... but so useful for a lot of things ... % to ignore armor, extra hp and, most of all, a good, good amount of + to CA range!! :O And my seraph power just got a serious boost ...

Well, anyways, is it something you guys experienced? Or is it just me ? Or a case of the "RNG's gods gaveth and the RNG's gods taketh" :P ;)

• Like! 1

I don't have visibility into the drop logic, but I can see in the drop.txt script that are specific drop lists for each weapon skill.  Based on the names of these drop lists, I've long suspected there is some logic in play that selects from those drop lists if the player has learned a particular weapon lore skill.  For example:

mgr.createDroplist(1382,{ -- Drop_Weapon_byskill_Staff

This list is full of all the magic staves, from junk all the way up to legendary tier.

I do not believe there is any chance that it's more specific than that, (I.e., modifiers).

The fact that skills have an effect on drop, there isn't any conflict from me whatsoever.

I even believe the wiki itself says so. Again, that much is not in question.

That being said, what is in question is that skills seems far from being the only thing dictating what kind of drops are more likely. Again, the lightsabers suddenly popping up after my first ... and even more regularly ... especially windu's mace, again my favorite ... I can't help that there is something there.

Which by the way would have some sort of logic behind. Maybe the developers at ascaron thought that if you like a set or unique item enough it might be good if updated versions of said item dropped from time to time.

Again, that's just a feeling I have ... albeit a strong one .... a very strong one.

I'll do further tests to see if that theory holds  in the long run. :smile:

Well, keep in mind there are also level requirements for a lot of items.  Neither Lightsabers nor unique items generally would drop at low levels, then when you hit the threshold (typically between level.15-50) they would begin to appear.

Also keep in mind both the Community Patch and the Enhanced Edition add some lightsabers as quest rewards.  The CM Patch adds some rare ones to various quests, EE adds one unique reward (Disturbance in the Force), at the end of "A New Hope" chain quest in Artamark.

Saying anything beyond that would be pure speculation on my part.  But after this long with the game, nothing surprises me any more.  :smile:

• Like! 1

Sorry, was away from the site for a few days ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I understand about the lightsabers which added more of them in, among other things, community patch. 
The thing I meant to say about lightsabers is, once I found my first one, a handful of others started to drop from monsters soon afterwards, which is one of the thing which makes me think that items equipped (or even in the chest) seems to have some influence on drops.

So far, the theory more or less holds, since I've equipped more virtue of the seraphim set (as I realized it gave +combat art range as a set bonus) I try to wear all of those I had (despite not being optimal at the time) ... and voilà! In a short amount of time and after doing as many quests as I could ... one of those quest gave me two items from the set! Two new ones I didn't have and bam ... voilà! +Combat art range bonus :)

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, Daedalus said:

Sorry, was away from the site for a few days ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I understand about the lightsabers which added more of them in, among other things, community patch. 
The thing I meant to say about lightsabers is, once I found my first one, a handful of others started to drop from monsters soon afterwards, which is one of the thing which makes me think that items equipped (or even in the chest) seems to have some influence on drops.

So far, the theory more or less holds, since I've equipped more virtue of the seraphim set (as I realized it gave +combat art range as a set bonus) I try to wear all of those I had (despite not being optimal at the time) ... and voilà! In a short amount of time and after doing as many quests as I could ... one of those quest gave me two items from the set! Two new ones I didn't have and bam ... voilà! +Combat art range bonus :)

Maybe you're luckier that other players :D I only have a +X% Ice damage ring and I desperately seek +Ice damage rings for about 15 levels or something like this but these little things doesn't want to drop. I loot hell of a lot of +Physical, +Fire and +Poison jewelry but +Ice doesn't seem to drop yet.

Also I'm only missing a single piece for the Niokaste's Blade Dance set for my Seraphim and it doesn't drop either. I have 8 out of 9 pieces, the last piece dropped from this set was around level 60 or so. Now at 96 I still look for it and it only drops Endijian and Virtues of the Seraphim pieces (I think I have around 2 or 3 copies of all pieces from Endijian set lol).

I think it's pure luck and it can only be modified somehow by Enhanced Perception skill, Chance to find valuables modifiers from items, your survival bonus (not sure about this) and/or your current difficulty.

• Like! 1
3 hours ago, Daedalus said:

And yeah, there seems to be an element of luck. Some items, like you, I am trying to force the game to drop ... and it ain't happening.
At other times, I am able to spawn a new piece from a set items by simply emptying my bag, and both chests, and only keeping potion and a single element of that set piece.

It finally dropped a +Ice damage ring.. When I found 2 unique fire-focused swords that greatly boosted my damage output. Guess I'll only have to find Niokaste's Grip piece (the gloves).

Also about luck, the most dropped special-item I had is Jotun's Maw (set ring with decent damage). I have like 4 or 5 of them found only during my last 25 levels or so (I have two level 90 ones, one level 105 and one level 120), one of them is used in the ring slot and the others are socketed into different weapons.

• Like! 1

Also about luck, the most dropped special-item I had is Jotun's Maw (set ring with decent damage)........one of them is used in the ring slot and the others are socketed into different weapons.

Oh yes, I should probably have mentioned something about this as well:

Depending on where an object is worn or held (either equipped, in the chests, or in the bag inventory) , it seems and I say SEEMS to have an effect on its chance spawning.

Items in the chests seems to be the most likely to drop ... especially if you only have one there most of the times (barring any potions you might have). It seems, and again I say SEEMS, that runes might also have an effect as there seems to be a very noticable trend of the game dropping the runes you keep but DON'T spend rather than the other ones ... and that is something I have noticed will ALL My characters.

But again, that's pure guesswork at this stage :)

I should also point out that using the method above, you need to be careful about something: You may need to equip or sell a set item rapidly if you don't intend to use it as there is also a very noticable trend of the game seemingly dropping additional items of the exact same level in that case ... though this trend stop after a short while. 

It was frustrating for me a lot of the time since it means a lot of the time I end up with duplicated set items that I simply end up selling for monies :P

important note: All this tests were made using the latest community patch AND, most importantly, the Enhanced Edition 2.3 and 2.4 (the two last one :) ).

4 hours ago, Daedalus said:

important note: All this tests were made using the latest community patch AND, most importantly, the Enhanced Edition 2.3 and 2.4 (the two last one :) ).

I only have the 1.60 Community Patch installed at the moment and no Enhanced Edition. Guess that makes a difference as well