Google Earth is freaking awesome!

I saw some blurb in a forum about Google Earth VR. I don't have VR, but I decided to check out Google Earth. I was skeptical about how detailed it was going to be, until I googled my own house. And then it dawned on my to Google my favorite stomping grounds in the U.S.; Oceanside CA. Good Lord, man, it was all right there; the walking trail we took from the base to the beach, my favorite bar, the parlor where I got my first tattoo, the Rotary Park steps Monington almost tripped down one day; all of it, just as I remembered. For a few minutes there, it was like 20 years were lifted off the ole odometer. So, if I can't go to Myrtle Beach this summer, at least I can look at it and daydream a little :) 

• Respect! 1
12 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I saw some blurb in a forum about Google Earth VR. I don't have VR, but I decided to check out Google Earth. I was skeptical about how detailed it was going to be, until I googled my own house. And then it dawned on my to Google my favorite stomping grounds in the U.S.; Oceanside CA. Good Lord, man, it was all right there; the walking trail we took from the base to the beach, my favorite bar, the parlor where I got my first tattoo, the Rotary Park steps Monington almost tripped down one day; all of it, just as I remembered. For a few minutes there, it was like 20 years were lifted off the ole odometer. So, if I can't go to Myrtle Beach this summer, at least I can look at it and daydream a little :) 

It is!! I remember a few years back happening up on it...and feeling like Id fallen into a worm hole :lol: That was a great description of your early years...and I could imagine you picking out all your youthy favorites from the site... nostalgia wave ! :dance2: ...   I never though imagined using google earth with a vr headset...  Who would need video games!

I think my favorite part of it is actually that button...

LAUNCH EARTH!

:superman:

gogo

With Google Earth VR, who would need video games...... hmm, personally, one; Rising World. With Google Earth VR, I can revisit my childhood home, but that's where it ends. With Rising World, I can recreate my childhood home, walk in it, walk to mom and dad's fridge, have a beef steak, go to my old room, sit in my old chair. My old room had things that Rising World doesn't currently have; lava lamps, a few guitars. However, I can build something that looks like a lava lamp or a guitar, I just can't actually turn it on or  pick the guitar up. Or, I could find pictures of my old lava lamp and guitar and paste them in the game. Now, with Google Earth and Rising World, I don't see me playing anything until Cyberpunk 2077. And to be honest, the only reason why I'm getting that is because 1) We don't have scifi/cyberpunk types of buildings yet (though we do have neon lights) , 2) I'm a huge Keanu fan, and 3) I love dystopian Blade Runner types of cities. But games in general, I'm getting tired of. Witcher 3; I love it. I can recreate the cities in The Witcher, but the downside is we don't have magic, mini games like  Gwent, and any npc I place will currently just walk around aimlessly like a sheep. And obviously, I don't have dialogue options. But the thing is, while I can help shape Geralt's story, it's still Geralt's story. With Rising World, it's my story. With an almost infinite landscape, I can have a million stories, a million buildings, a million lands. There's only two real areas where some people dislike. 1) If you build, let's say a watermelon farm, and place an npc in it, he won't actually farm or interact with your home. But this, to me, is part of the magic, because I can roleplay as him, as well as every other occupant of that house, as well as all homes. This is why Rising World takes a vivid imagination. And 2) An altered landscape will keep it's original temperature. So, if you take a snow biome and change it to a beach resort, you still need your cold weather gear when going outside. 

Anyway, this is how I'm spending some of my excess time; using Google Earth to revisit favorite places of my youth, then building them in Rising World and creating new adventures there.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, Gilberticus said:

With Google Earth VR, who would need video games...... hmm, personally, one; Rising World. With Google Earth VR, I can revisit my childhood home, but that's where it ends. With Rising World, I can recreate my childhood home, walk in it, walk to mom and dad's fridge, have a beef steak, go to my old room, sit in my old chair. My old room had things that Rising World doesn't currently have; lava lamps, a few guitars. However, I can build something that looks like a lava lamp or a guitar, I just can't actually turn it on or  pick the guitar up. Or, I could find pictures of my old lava lamp and guitar and paste them in the game. Now, with Google Earth and Rising World, I don't see me playing anything until Cyberpunk 2077. And to be honest, the only reason why I'm getting that is because 1) We don't have scifi/cyberpunk types of buildings yet (though we do have neon lights) , 2) I'm a huge Keanu fan, and 3) I love dystopian Blade Runner types of cities. But games in general, I'm getting tired of. Witcher 3; I love it. I can recreate the cities in The Witcher, but the downside is we don't have magic, mini games like  Gwent, and any npc I place will currently just walk around aimlessly like a sheep. And obviously, I don't have dialogue options. But the thing is, while I can help shape Geralt's story, it's still Geralt's story. With Rising World, it's my story. With an almost infinite landscape, I can have a million stories, a million buildings, a million lands. There's only two real areas where some people dislike. 1) If you build, let's say a watermelon farm, and place an npc in it, he won't actually farm or interact with your home. But this, to me, is part of the magic, because I can roleplay as him, as well as every other occupant of that house, as well as all homes. This is why Rising World takes a vivid imagination. And 2) An altered landscape will keep it's original temperature. So, if you take a snow biome and change it to a beach resort, you still need your cold weather gear when going outside. 

Anyway, this is how I'm spending some of my excess time; using Google Earth to revisit favorite places of my youth, then building them in Rising World and creating new adventures there.

I just heard about this game... frmo 2014? with that kind of gaming tech?

is this the game trailer here?

oh wait... lol i had this mixed for Amazon's up and coming...  an MMO no less... from Amazon :lol:

:blink:

gogo

Yup, two very different games. And yes, it's from 2014; the developer built every asset himself rather than flipping assets. Red's upgrading the engine to Unity as we speak.