The Sacred 2 NPC Portrait Project

Flix

And so it begins...

Here, I made some quick experiments and added a new canvas. In this case, the portrait size shrinks down to 75x75 pixels. Visibility should be still ok, picking the right colors might be a bit tricky due to the silver-grey style of the GUI.

01.png

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, Dax said:

And so it begins...

Here, I made some quick experiments and added a new canvas. In this case, the portrait size shrinks down to 75x75 pixels. Visibility should be still ok, picking the right colors might be a bit tricky due to the silver-grey style of the GUI.

01.png

Very cool look. I will probably have to avoid adding extra borders to the portraits however, due to how many different sizes and places the portraits will appear, some already with frames, some without.

@Flix

@Dax

Dax... look where your work has taken direction... from all your efforts starting with Sacred Underworld and now you have friend Flix who has been so touched that the changes have extended to his work in Sacred 2... Flix, your collection of portraits for Elves alone is jaw dropping... and just seeing the collection of Elves together like this in game looks like Art Piece.. I remember when Schot was writing up the replace code in the Wiki for when he was trying to takeout cut and paste pictures change them into Data to make the pages less blocky. for dialogue pages..

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Template:S2_Dialogue

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Category:NPC_Dialogue_Portraits

I remember seeing the portraits then, but this has elevated to a new scope :superman: 

Love the community and execution here!

:hugs:

gogo

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Dax... look where your work has taken direction... from all your efforts starting with Sacred Underworld and now you have friend Flix who has been so touched that the changes have extended to his work in Sacred 2...

gogo

Flix must be a working machine. Sorting portraits and assigning them correctly takes a while. He has either a co-worker, or has moved on to Espresso Coffee intensity 12-14. (He was on Espresso level 9 a few days ago)   :heat:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Dax said:

Flix must be a working machine. Sorting portraits and assigning them correctly takes a while. He has either a co-worker, or has moved on to Espresso Coffee intensity 12-14. (He was on Espresso level 9 a few days ago)   :heat:

heh, i was thinking same thing about him...! lol i sense a few Overnights here !

:D

gogo

21 minutes ago, Dax said:

Flix must be a working machine

He indeed actually is. I won't throw him too flowers, he'll have enough when all his projects will be achieved, but all the work he actually does is impressive. I wish I would be able to do the same :(

• Like! 1

Thanks for the kind words all. It's good to know it's well-received. A project like this is meaningless without an audience.

And it doesn't feel like work when it's fun.  :wink:  I love fantasy artwork anyway, this is just an excuse to browse through lots of it.  The mechanical part I've sped up with shortcuts in GIMP ("work smarter not harder") so processing the portraits goes pretty quick once I've selected them.

29 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Will this change become a standard in EE (and by extension D2F), or is it going to be an optional module?

Not sure yet, it's too early on.  I'm leaning towards optional module in EE.

For D2F, I spent way too much time in years past making 3D-rendered portraits for all the new monsters and characters already.  I'm VERY reluctant to toss all that out.  :D

• Like! 1
3 minutes ago, Flix said:

Not sure yet, it's too early on.  I'm leaning towards optional module in EE.

For D2F, I spent way too much time in years past making 3D-rendered portraits for all the new monsters and characters already.  I'm VERY reluctant to toss all that out.

I read you. I think that in D2F it won't fit, but between optional module and full integration I guess you can poll it and have a grasp of what your audience wants. Personally I think these portraits would fit well being standard in Enhanced Spells, but not as much on "vanilla" EE. That's my two cents. :)

On 4/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, Flix said:

And it doesn't feel like work when it's fun.  :wink:  I love fantasy artwork anyway, this is just an excuse to browse through lots of it. 

lol, Iove this too... I can relate!

:bounce:

gogo

On 4/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, Flix said:

I spent way too much time in years past making 3D-rendered portraits for all the new monsters and characters already.  I'm VERY reluctant to toss all that out.  

Just in case, you can make portraits in higher resolution, those will be resized to 96x96 by the engine itself, keeping much of the detail.

37 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

Just in case, you can make portraits in higher resolution, those will be resized to 96x96 by the engine itself, keeping much of the detail.

Hm, I briefly experimented with this, they seemed too blurry.  I suppose I could revisit the idea and try applying a sharpening filter first.

The portrait size and position in-game is apparently defined in the various xml files in skin-xml.zip.  For example you may not have known that Merchant and Runemaster portraits are off-center from the frame (Blacksmith is ok and provided the template for correction). 

The error is not noticeable with vanilla portraits because all portrait edges (except bottom) are transparent.  The overlap only becomes apparent when switching to fully opaque square portraits like I have.  Accordingly I'll have to package some corrected xml files with the portraits.

• Like! 1
34 minutes ago, Dax said:

Once more a nice collection. Mmh, I could use some of those portraits myself, but I am too lazy to rework everything. :tongue2:

Wow, wait! Send me the hooded guys! I got trouble to find good portraits for the mages in Mystdale Castle.

Will do, I'll send them tonight when I get home from work.

• Like! 1

Flix, I can't get how you can go through so many portraits so quickly, seeing so man human faces together like that is really cool to see as well... specially with all this social distancing going on

its strangely comforting

:drinks:

gogo

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Flix, I can't get how you can go through so many portraits so quickly, seeing so man human faces together like that is really cool to see as well... specially with all this social distancing going on

its strangely comforting

:drinks:

gogo

Haha yeah I get it. It's almost like one of those photo collages of families you see in living rooms.

Or maybe even a little bit of Brady Bunch going on lol? :3lmao:

bradybunch.jpg.d8c2e8aa3db1441d531c6ed506abebfa.jpg

• Haha 1