DarkMatters New and Improved 2020 - We're Baaaack... kinda :)

9 minutes ago, lujate said:

The new "Mark Site Read" menu option works, but doesn't give any feedback (ie. confirmation).  Is that the intended behavior?

Hey Lujate! 

I'm sorry but I'm not sure , I've never actually used it myself ... your testing of it now is the first time I've read feedback on it at this site

:)

gogo

19 hours ago, Schot said:

lol Timo.  Creepy?  *cough* says the guy who has a photo of a grinning Dr. Phil embellished with gold and gemstones.   (teasing of course!) :3lmao:

Ok I confess I went a little nuts.  Just had to try it and wondered if the forum would implode. 

I have no idea what you're mumbling about mister :whistle:

On Edge the site seems to get stuck on "loading" a lot when I try to go back in pages on a thread. Not sure if that might be a browser issue tho?

Edited by Timotheus
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

I have no idea what you're mumbling about mister :whistle:

On Edge the site seems to get stuck on "loading" a lot when I try to go back in pages on a thread. Not sure if that might be a browser issue tho?

I get that hang when I finish posting and press submit.  A member here actually came up with a good way of going around it, but just pressing refresh on the browser and the page instantly refreshes

gogo

Yeah I noticed that as well. Also, it seems to happen less frequently on the bland where-are-my-sunglasses-because-this-is-just-too-white skin. Is our Sacred theme more resource heavy or something?

1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

Yeah I noticed that as well. Also, it seems to happen less frequently on the bland where-are-my-sunglasses-because-this-is-just-too-white skin. Is our Sacred theme more resource heavy or something?

We have spent SO much time on this now trouble shooting... it keeps evading us.  Now that we've purchased the latest upgrade for our forum software however Brad says he's going to make a ticket for this... we're unsure its because of  a potential problem with the database or our hosting

like... in some of our internal forums.. posts are instant...but in forums where our members are we get that hang

argh :lol:

gogo

• Respect! 1

To me it seems to be the worst on the really big threads (e.g. Related Word Game, several hundred pages), normal sized threads like this one I don't see as much lag time between clicking post and it refreshing (although I do still see some).

Interestingly, edit post appears to work instantly...

That's true, editing posts is immediate, even in "problematic" threads.  Something else I noticed, if one does that trick of refreshing the page when it hangs, the post does indeed appear in the thread, but it almost guarantees the post won't make it into the "All Activity" feed.

This makes me think that somehow it's not the post being created that is the problem, instead it's something to do with the post getting logged/archived/whatever and added to the news feed.  I'd wager the post hanging is related to whatever is causing the general problem of posts not appearing the feed.

5 minutes ago, Flix said:

That's true, editing posts is immediate, even in "problematic" threads.  Something else I noticed, if one does that trick of refreshing the page when it hangs, the post does indeed appear in the thread, but it almost guarantees the post won't make it into the "All Activity" feed.

This makes me think that somehow it's not the post being created that is the problem, instead it's something to do with the post getting logged/archived/whatever and added to the news feed.  I'd wager the post hanging is related to whatever is causing the general problem of posts not appearing the feed.

@Dragon Brother

yes  i just noticed this as well! That the refresh makes it appear in the thread, but that it wont get through in All Activity Feed.. in fact mostly wont make it to View New Posts

Thanks guys, were getting more info

gogo

23 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Hey Lujate! 

I'm sorry but I'm not sure , I've never actually used it myself ... your testing of it now is the first time I've read feedback on it at this site

gogo

That may just be how it works now. Before there was a banner shown temporarily to indicate success. Now there's no feedback.

I tend to avoid chit chat threads, so if the last post is from a name I recognize I don't even open the thread.

• Like! 1

Hey everyone! Schot just put up a banner about not worrying if you dont see forums... weve trouble shooted and so far think that the massive number of permission groups we've acquired over the last fifteen years is counting as a "check" against every time a post is made in the external sections.

So far.. admin section me and bad use is almost instant posting

mod team has a medium level of speed

and public sections are very long... this is because of the huge number of checks.

We're having to go through the permission groups and sets and then look at people's sets individually...this has been fifteen years in the making :lol: .. 

We're going to get remove (for now :sweat: ) some of the groups and then slowly start building them out again...hopefully this will give us that great speed back we're all looking for

:superman:

gogo

• Respect! 1

Strangely enough I was seeing it in the News Feed but denied access to view the thread until now.

Just figured some stuff was still ongoing based on Schot's banner.   

• Thanks! 1

i know.. we're kinda in the phantom zone along with everyone...thanks everyone for being so patient!! :hugs: We've actually opened up a ticket with Invision and having a nice convo... we're hoping to get some insight into the issue.  We've trouble shooted enough to the point where... we are able to produce a fail consistently 100 percent of the time ( 13 second wait minimum ) and a consistent win ( yay! :bounce: )  100 percent of the time by switching up the user groups.  Looks like so far any forum that has the user group filter posts through the Members user group immediately produces a fail.. Brad has written a very nice letter to Invission with links showing the fails and wins so that they can see what is the difference and help us out.

we're waiting for an answer now

:viking:

gogo

• Like! 1

Happy we're still zippy this morning... Schot has brought us back to Tehchnicolor world! :dance:

The members list along  our right side is still broken... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH... I loved this function and seeing all our members in different arrays and colors like that in a box in the top right would always bring a smile to my face. This is why we have our member names arrayed along the right on a long veritical list now... because if we chose the second way of displaying them, separated by commas as we used to do before, all the group colors and distinct effects get lost :cry: 

For some reason Invision with this update did not allow group colors to be carried with member list and it all comes out in one color... I've posted in some Invision fan forums and the gent who oversees invision Design has said he'll "look " at it... but I guess we'll have to ticket that as well

gogo

lol last night...  our apologies to everyone here who was caught out by that downing of servers all over world for our hosters... they had over scheduled too many processes and upgrades for end end of the months and there was droppage across the realm with SacredWiki and DarkMatters going down for hours last night.  Luckily we were able to messsage out to some of the other smaller sacred forums out there at Steam and FaceBook and were able to put out some notice...

Happy now to see that the systems are up and going... we exist!

Whew...what a month!

:4rofl:

gogo

Sooooo annoying, omg.  Just when we're getting ahead, our host provider spoils our fun by crashing their mysql server.  Phooey on them!  :tomato:

• Like! 1