Xanyth (Special Fantasy Sword 3D Model)

SheHawk

Xan is spelled in the same way as the name of Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have used the old form of Y, inplace of an I like as in Winter (Example: Wynter) Name of sword breakdown: Xan-yth. The word is eniterly made up of course and that is my approach on spelling and pronoucing it.

Xanyth.thumb.jpg.385658b7f34567f4437958faa880de38.jpg

Xanyth

For a full 3D View of the model, please go here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/af380365-1db1-40d3-8ca9-cd304bbd7580/Xanyth

On 4/29/2020 at 2:48 PM, Hooyaah said:

I really like the name you came up with and the design of Xanyth is truly impressive. I will critique your creation, for there are a few of the things that I wanted to point out (for your edification in enhancing the overall realism). The tang seems too thin and it seems that it has no hilt wrapped around it. These two parts of a sword are crucial for it to be properly gripped in battle and it must be comfortable for the hand that wields it. The pommel might be just a trifle larger and more rounded so that it helps balance the sword better (helps the swordsman by "letting the sword do much of the work." Also, the entire sword is the same width when viewing the edge from a side-view. The sword should have a good three dimensional view from all angles, yet the blade should remain thin and light for easy handling so that the swordsman doesn't easily tire. A fuller or "blood groove" would help with that. Nevertheless, from a flat-side view your creation looks amazing and I especially admire the runes that you added. My sincere apologies are offered if my criticism seems harsh, yet it seems that I am forging and shaping the sword-smith. Keep up the good work, Amy!

Please, please look at the sword in 3D Steve with the link provided, you will see that I have given the sword a fuller and this was even before you helped me with the sword making link, I can make the pommel a bit more larger, I simply was afraid that it might look a little silly if I made it too big, judging the size is not always easy, but I do, do my best. I am glad that you like the name Steve, I thought about that a lot and had other names in mind, but I am glad that I went with that one. I do not know if you have a computer of a tablet etc. if you have a computer, just click on the link and then the image of the sword, you will see and eye symbol in a black boarder and the words 3D Model in white, just click on that and there 3D model will load up, it takes a while to do so, but not too long. Anyway, once in 3D mode use your mouse middle button to zoom in to any area of the sword, you can turn the camera at any angle, go to the blade and you will see an actual incline inside the top of the blade, also once close up, you will notice the sides of the blade better and rather have the symbols ingraved into the top of the blade, I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have them carved out instead, using some creativity.  If you have and use a mobile device, you will neet to install the 3D Viewr app to be able to see the sword in full complete 3D. I hope this helps? Anway a more closer inspection for the sides of the blade will show you how it is made up, following the sword view image of what I used for inspiration for this sword.

images.jpg.aa2d3456edebe4f36a04945794b9a6ab.jpg

Original Sword

Sometimes my creative streak takes hold over the practical aspect of myself, unless I am making something to serve a more practical function, not only that. My mind is wired a certain way Steve, and no, I am not using that as an excuse, not by any means, I always strive to overcome any short commings that I have, in all honestly when my mind thinks Fantasy, my practical aspect does not get in the way. I hope you know what I mean? For me it is enough, or more enough for me that I do something mabye not real enough, or practical enough, I have one could say a child like imagination, not grouded in the things that you sppeak of, I do appreciate what you are trying to say from a complete sword smith point of view and I respect that, just please, please know, that my mind does not work or think in the way that you do becuse if it did so, it would get in the way of my creativity aspect, or to the point what Fantasy means to me, which is not really about something to be real or perfect. Sorry if that not make any sense and sorry that I am not able to convay well enough how I am wired, but I sicnerely do hope what I have said helps in someway.

Edited by SheHawk

I looked at the sword in three dimensions but didn't notice the subtle shading of the fuller until today, when I used the zoom feature and saw more detail; it looks quite impressive. Yet, the sword generally is the same thickness (width) from top to bottom and certain parts should be thicker, as I mentioned earlier. If you can imagine the image that you used as your inspiration from a three dimensional view that may help. There are areas of the sword, like the guard, which should be rounded so that the edges are not sharp (angular) and that will help make the sword more welcoming and comfortable to handle. Overall, your creation is compelling and my intention was merely to help you refine it to a point that, were a sword smith to forge it in real life, it would be beautiful, practical, and formidable. Everyone's mind is unique and we all envision and create in different ways. I tend to have a methodical approach and look at things from a practical sense first and then use my creative side until my idea has developed and then I look at the creation practically again; this happens in stages. Perhaps after the creative phase of your process the practical aspect can begin to play with its end result toward a finished product.

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Amy another absolutely gorgeous piece of art you have put together for us.  I've a weakness for swords, and what you've created easily strikes my eyes for imaginative battles.  the blade's design is so beautiful. 

Steve,  your post is such a great read...how do you know so much about these sword mechanics...I'm constantly dropped by the love and expertise in our members' posts... I had to stop working and post to this topic, great reads friends!

:hugs:

gogo

I am blessed with a mind like a sponge and any information that I find to be interesting I absorb and permanently commit to memory. On the other hand, mundane facts or topics are difficult for me to follow, as my mind is always focused on things that are fascinating. One great source for information related to the construction and forging of swords is this series: Forged In Fire

20 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

I looked at the sword in three dimensions but didn't notice the subtle shading of the fuller until today, when I used the zoom feature and saw more detail; it looks quite impressive. Yet, the sword generally is the same thickness (width) from top to bottom and certain parts should be thicker, as I mentioned earlier. If you can imagine the image that you used as your inspiration from a three dimensional view that may help. There are areas of the sword, like the guard, which should be rounded so that the edges are not sharp (angular) and that will help make the sword more welcoming and comfortable to handle. Overall, your creation is compelling and my intention was merely to help you refine it to a point that, were a sword smith to forge it in real life, it would be beautiful, practical, and formidable. Everyone's mind is unique and we all envision and create in different ways. I tend to have a methodical approach and look at things from a practical sense first and then use my creative side until my idea has developed and then I look at the creation practically again; this happens in stages. Perhaps after the creative phase of your process the practical aspect can begin to play with its end result toward a finished product.

Thank you Stve, I truly sicnerely appreciate your insights. I honestly respct them, but in all honesty I can't be practical about a fantasy product, because like I said, Fantasy suggests to me at least something not only not real, but something that in the real realm would not be practical and if it was practical it would no longer be a fantasy. Sincerely that is my mind set and I can't change that and when I try to be practical about something I do tend to over think things. Not all the time, when I am doing a car, or a train etc.  Yes I am being creative, but I am being as practical as to what I can be in the way my mind is wired. And that is the honest truth and it is truly not the same way as that of the average person, call it a defect if you must, sorry I not know any other way to say it other than being wired differently and sadly because I am wired differently, no one understands or even appreciates that aspect of me. If I was going to do a sword, I would have to make it as more real as I can possibly make it, but that really would not be a fantasy type sword and Fantasy Swords holds for me  a far greater fascination for me and as such I do not want to make pratical real swords. I know how strange that may seem to you, I am a very strange individual and I am not trying to fit into any type of norm, simply because I am not in any real sense 'NORMAL'

As such I cannot be, truly anything other than how I am, or how I was forged if you better undeerstand that. I feel and beleive, though I cannot prove it in any way, I can only go from my own knoweldge and observations, I feel that I maybe in some way on some level, Autistic and I have actually been among Autistic people and when I was with them, I had noticed varying aspects of them existing within me. Sorry that I can't be a little more speciffic, because I do not know what they are called exactly those different aspects and it is difficult for me to explain what they are beyond that I am aware that they are thre and that I am not just simply imagining that. I know and feel that my learning disability is not as simple as being just that, there is more going on, living with it for so long I have noticed things, again sorry I can't be so speciffic. I wish I could. And yet I am interlectual, and have shown that, but this does not in anyway mean I am not learning disabled etc. Trust me I know myself well enough to notice things and my stongest strength has always been my observational skills. I feel like I am like Susan Foreman (Classic Doctor Who. 1st Doctor) Very good at some things and utterly terrible at others, but it is by no means a contradiction, I am truly that way and I can't explain the how or the why, I doubt that I ever will, that is how and why I know I am not 'NORMAL.'

I hope this helps to be able to understand how and why I different?  I honestly can't change that, so learn how to best use my disadvantages to be my advantages, because that is the only thing that I can do.

20 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Amy another absolutely gorgeous piece of art you have put together for us.  I've a weakness for swords, and what you've created easily strikes my eyes for imaginative battles.  the blade's design is so beautiful. 

Steve,  your post is such a great read...how do you know so much about these sword mechanics...I'm constantly dropped by the love and expertise in our members' posts... I had to stop working and post to this topic, great reads friends!

:hugs:

gogo

Thank you Gogo, much appreciated, I hope that Steve won't think I am being an idiot, I am sincerely not trying to be so and it's never easy for me to explain to people how I can be so good in some areas and so bad in others at the same time. I can see how and why that would be a contradiction to some people. It's not meant to be I can't help the way I am. (See my Reply to Steve) To live with being wired differently to the average person, my brain does not work the same way and not process things the same way either. It is actually very frustrating for me not be able to get across to anyone how or why I am that way, it's not deliberate, it's not by pretence of any kind. Being wired differently can be sometimes a blessing, but sad to say sometimes it can feel like it's a curse. It's okay if you not understand that, again thank you for your comment, it is much appreciated.

22 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

The art of making a sword is handled by the sword smith and a part of the allure and magic stem from the design. The sword may become enchanted in some manner by either the well-schooled sword smith who forges in runes or glyphs or by a skilled wizard, sorcerer, enchanter, or another gifted with magic or by divine or even cursed magic. This may occur during the forging process or later. Your creation then needs a story to go with it, one that explains a portion of it's "secrets" and adds to the intrigue and perhaps deepens the mystery. My words of information were not to admonish but to inform, edify, and encourage in an honest and informative way. As I mentioned, we all have our individual ways of approaching the creative process. Everyone's mind works differently than that of others and in differing degrees, so that means that the work of creating may of necessity work differently for anyone. Employ your skills and in your own way and endeavor not for unattainable perfection but for sought-after and satisfying excellence. Keep up the good work, Amy.

Thank you for such a most heart felt message Steve, my humbled apologies of what I said, I was not trying to defend myself, only merely explain how Iam so very different and that my mind approaches thinss in a vrey different manner, sometimes I do find it difficult to balance practicality and fantasy, among other things, sadly for me fantasy and practicality do not go together and often conlicts with me. But that's my downfall. That said, I truly do aspire to rise above where possible my shortcomings. Much sincere and utmost deepst respects to you Steve, truly so. I will give some thought about the history of Xanyth, purely from a creative view point, all good mystical, magical swords needs a story, you are right there Steve, nothing at the moment comes to my mind and this sword does deserve a story behind it, because I have worked so hard to make it. It took about 5 attempts to do get the blade just right, if I had not succeeded on my 5th try, I would have left it and come back to doing it at a latter point. However, I was determined to make this sword, no matter what and 5th attempt was a whole days worth of work, not just the blade, the entire sword, I made it in 4 stages, Blade, Crossguard, Handle, Pommel and as I ahve said, I did this before you gave me making process of a sword and I am grateful of that and I vow that I will use that guide in future sword making.

• Like! 1