Sweetfx won't work

Hello, so I tried to use sweetfx for sacred 2, downloaded sweetfx, then sacred 2 sweetfx preset, copied that preset into sweetfx settings just like in readme, and when I start game nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? I tried clicking SL button, notthing changes..

ba.png

• Like! 1

Hello Vaeltharius, I can't get it to work either while I remember I did some tests in the past and it worked. Maybe something has changed in newest version of SweetFX, don't know, sorry.

• Appreciation 1

SweetFX is a tool that "enhances" the game graphics by applying shaders in post processing, like ENBs and Reshade. But I don't know why it doesn't work anymore with Sacred 2 unfortunetly, maybe a manip to do like renaming/moving some files, don't know.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/128/

Edited by desm
1 hour ago, desm said:

SweetFX is a tool that "enhances" the game graphics by applying shaders in post processing, like ENBs and Reshade. But I don't know why it doesn't work anymore with Sacred 2 unfortunetly, maybe a manip to do like renaming/moving some files, don't know.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/128/

Thanks Desm for the explanation! Is this a tool that was used by players when game was initially released or something that modders only use?

:)

gogo

I think I've successfully used it with Sacred 2, it's been a long time though, so it would have been an older version of the software.  Would probably be appealing to desaturate the game's intense color on a global level rather than editing all the textures.

@gogoblender  It's an extremely common visual enhancement software that allows really fine control over extended graphics options.  It can be (and is) used with virtually any 3D game.  Players will often share ready-to-go presets with one another, geared toward giving a game a certain look. Others just like to experiment or make a single tweak. For example I use it on Grim Dawn to remove what I perceive as an overly pinkish hue that the devs added to the lighting in one of their patches.

• Like! 1
10 hours ago, Flix said:

I think I've successfully used it with Sacred 2, it's been a long time though, so it would have been an older version of the software.  Would probably be appealing to desaturate the game's intense color on a global level rather than editing all the textures.

@gogoblender  It's an extremely common visual enhancement software that allows really fine control over extended graphics options.  It can be (and is) used with virtually any 3D game.  Players will often share ready-to-go presets with one another, geared toward giving a game a certain look. Others just like to experiment or make a single tweak. For example I use it on Grim Dawn to remove what I perceive as an overly pinkish hue that the devs added to the lighting in one of their patches.

Ahhh...thanks for giving me context.

I can see why (if someone has the hardware for a PC :Laie_58:)  PC's are still the Rolls Royce for gaming vs Console? Being able to "up" or individualize a graphics experience would be very satisfying. 

:sun:

gogo

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly all I can see in the current presets is people cutting the lighting and increasing the contrast way too much, at least according to the screenshots in this list.

The game does have a large amount of unnecessary flare and brightness, but if the alternative is to have everything overly saturated in darkened colours then I'm not sure how it can be an improvement. For graphic tweaks if you have a Nvidia GPU you can use its CP and manually apply graphic filters and it works well most of the time. I'm not sure you can do the same with a different GPU but I assume this kind of GPU CP is a streamlined affair, so try to tweak it until you find your sweet spot.

You can do whatever you want with the program, there's no reason to be beholden to anyone's presets.  I think the game would probably benefit from a simple desaturation filter. Of course depending on your setup you could also load a profile in your monitor to accomplish the same thing when playing the game.

Uhm, if the colour profile on your monitor plays a part in it then the possibilities are immense. Most have the ability to manually configure RGB and colour temperature, so yeah, I don't see much use in a third-party software to do it.

The main problem with the game is that you want to saturate outdoors but desaturate indoors, you want to remove flare from outdoors but indoors if you lower the brightness then you're basically blind. It's not like you can set a preset for every area in the game individually, and the differences between them are glaring. Comparing Thylysium's outdoors with the Carnach Cave's indoors shows most of this. And if you remove the flare in the Bengaresh Desert most caves will be too dark anyway. There's no beauty without a catch. :dntknw:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

@Vaeltharius

In order to run Sacred 2 with SweetFX v1.5.1 (Official Download) first you need to do the following:

1. Put the SweetFX files where the game's executable is, that is the "system" Folder.

2. Delete the following files from SweetFX:

•    dxgi.dll                 - DirectX 10/11 proxy dll that will inject shaders into DirectX 10/11 games
  •    dxgi.fx                  - DirectX 10/11 specific shader code

Since the game is pre DirectX 10/11 era these two files will give you trouble launching the game.

3. Configure the Settings you want to use in the "SweetFX_settings.txt" file. You just have to change the "0" to "1" in order to activate the effect in the game.

I personally use it with the following settings activated:

• SMAA_ANTIALISING
  • BLOOM
  • HDR
  • LUMASHARPEN
  • LIFTGAMMAGAIN
  • VIBRANCE
  • CURVES

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards

• Respect! 1
42 minutes ago, Girghe said:

Hello,

@Vaeltharius

In order to run Sacred 2 with SweetFX v1.5.1 (Official Download) first you need to do the following:

1. Put the SweetFX files where the game's executable is, that is the "system" Folder.

2. Delete the following files from SweetFX:

•    dxgi.dll                 - DirectX 10/11 proxy dll that will inject shaders into DirectX 10/11 games
  •    dxgi.fx                  - DirectX 10/11 specific shader code

Since the game is pre DirectX 10/11 era these two files will give you trouble launching the game.

3. Configure the Settings you want to use in the "SweetFX_settings.txt" file. You just have to change the "0" to "1" in order to activate the effect in the game.

I personally use it with the following settings activated:

• SMAA_ANTIALISING
  • BLOOM
  • HDR
  • LUMASHARPEN
  • LIFTGAMMAGAIN
  • VIBRANCE
  • CURVES

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards

Thanks for the awesome help out Girghe!

And welcome to DarkMatters!