Sword Making. (Practice Run 1)

This post is especially for Steve, but also intended to help anyone else in the art of making a 3D Sword. If you know how to make one, this won't be for you. 3D Program Source: Sketchup Make 2017.

First off, I import the image of the word that I want to make, for the purpose of this post, I am usign an image from a sword making link, as given to me by Steve. After Importing the image into my Sketchup work surface, I change the image into a texture, so that way I can draw over the image of the blade only. (The rest of the sword will be done later) As you will see in Image 1, that I have drawn a rectangle around the whole length of the blade itself with a series of lines drawn right across the blade, these lines however, are and will be essential for the further developement of the sword.

35638805_PracticeSword1.(TheBeginningStage).jpg.1f528a6e2f656737dfe10ac6ce88bf27.jpg

Iimage 1

Once I have drawn around the shape of the blade, I can then delete all of the unwanted lines to get to the second stage of the sword, where have done an offswet within the image of the blade itself. (See Image 2)

2053661624_PracticeSword1.(TheSecondStage)).jpg.d68576c8d2010043d9e5d8f8f6a21222.jpg

Image 2

The third and final stage befoer I go any further with this model project, I have pulled up the inner part of the blade, this will be the thickness of the blade sides, but I need to know please Steve, if this is too high up and secondly does the reverse side of the sword remain flat? Yes? Or No? (See Image 3)

1603478247_PracticeSword1.(TheThirdStage).jpg.d6262da8c1cfd2c8389ac39d1a15d166.jpg

Image 3

Please reply as soon as you can Steve, so I know if I need to lower the inner blade, just the blade, the sides have not been put in as yet, as I need to know if the height is right first. I will not do anything further with my model until I get your reply, so I know where to go from this point where I have left the model of the sword. Together, we will see this sword come to life, as it were. I hope you appreciate me asking you for your honest and expert opinion?

Edited by SheHawk
  • Like! 1
17 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Amy, for a two-edged sword the blade should be about 1/4 inch at the shoulder and taper down from there to the tip to near 1/8 of an inch. It's difficult to tell the thickness from your model.

Thank you Steve, I understand what you said, but unfortunately the whole middle part of the sword as shown is all one thickness, sorry to say I have not as yet figured a way make it work to the speciffic measurements as you have mentioned, I am not saying that it can't be done, sadly I do not know how and there is to take into consideration also that sketchup, the tools only work in a certain way, like the 'Push/Pull Tool'

I can pull up a flat surface say 1/4in high, as you have put here but the portion of that pulled up surface will be 1/4in thick from top to bottom, the reason why I use sword images is so that I can get say the length of the shoulder of the sword , more precise, as well as the length of the blade itself. Not to worry, I will do the sides of the blade for now and then do further screen shots, so that way you can not only see my approach, but also how Sketchup works, I haven't fully mastered using Sketchup and I can't say if I will or will not ever master it eventually, only time shall tell and I have been using sketchup by the way. Way back when google used to own it and it was back then in it's 7th version release. I have come a long way and I am sure there is more yet for me to learn. I hope what I have said also equally helps?

Edited by SheHawk
  • Like! 1
22 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Amy, I understand that there are yet aspects of the SketchUp program that you have yet to master and there will always be challenges. I know that if you persevere and compel yourself to realize excellence you will yield amazing results.

Thank you Steve for your wonderful words of encouragement, I want to assure you that I will keep pushing myself to learn more and other tecniques that can be used in Sketchup. I had tried to look for a sword making tutorial for sketchup on YouTube and trust me when I say I viewed the ones that were there and they were not really that helpful to me, I will give you a few examples of how and why not. One guy talks way too fast others talk too low and not clear and the worst type of them all are tutorials without comentary, speeded up with music playing. Oh I forgot to mention, I am actally completely self taught using sketchup, considering how many models I have made over all, my old profile and my new one. I hope at least that what I have done is an amazing achievement within itself?

Certainly, the progress and results that you have shown is quite significant and your skills are yielding good fruit. So, please be encouraged. You may find that the Add-on for Firefox, Video Download Helper works wonders insofar as allowing one to retain a video and play it back later. There are several players available that allow one to slow the playback speed so that you may be able to get a better idea of what's transpiring in the SketchUp tutorials. I prefer GOM Player for this sort of purpose. I hope that this helps you, Amy.

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Certainly, the progress and results that you have shown is quite significant and your skills are yielding good fruit. So, please be encouraged. You may find that the Add-on for Firefox, Video Download Helper works wonders insofar as allowing one to retain a video and play it back later. There are several players available that allow one to slow the playback speed so that you may be able to get a better idea of what's transpiring in the SketchUp tutorials. I prefer GOM Player for this sort of purpose. I hope that this helps you, Amy.

Thank you Steve, I have a video downloader, but the slowing down of videos might help, so I definately look into that. Again thank you for your lovely and most wonderful feedback.

• Like! 1