Where is Your Location

Munera

That place is gorgeous....Would love to know the history behind it. Kind of a history/castle buff. One of the things I want to do is visit Europe and visit as many castles as I can. Sure the ruins in your town have a story to tell

@Munera: Neighbour's been talking only good of Spain, as they have a "winter house" of sorts somewhere there.

Actually asked if I'd like to go sometime with them.

If I'll ever get the money pooled, I try to pay you a visit. :)

@gogo: lol you see beaches everywhere mate! hope you get your air con repaired soon :D

@knuckles: Middle age castles have always fascinated me. It had to be a completely different world. I remember when I visited the muslim palace of Alhambra in Granada and a royal palace somewhere in Madrid. They were awesome, full of pools, gardens and incredible rooms. Lovely, romantic places.

@Storming: Too bad that I'll be only in my town in summer lol

• 6 months later...

Welcome aboard to sunny DarkMatters Matt!

:gogo:

gogo

Thanks, Gogo. I actually joined a long while back, but kind of drifted away from Sacred for a bit. Been playing again lately though.

Welcome back to DarkMatters in that case!

Here are some fotos from Stellenbosch. It is in the wine region of South Africa, and most of the streets are lined with big old oak trees. Afrikaans people often give SA cities other names, especially if the city is famous for having a lot of a specific tree. Polokwane(my home town and where my Parents still live) is "KoraalStad", Pretoria(Where I used to live) is "Jakaranda Stad" and Stellenbosch is "EikeStad"(Eik being Afrikaans for Oak). Stellenbosch is a wonderful place, where everyone(Black, White, Coloured/mixed, gay, straight, bi, young and old) lives peacefully together. It is famous for the wines produced in the region(including Franschoek literally translated into "French Corner"), for the amazing restaurants around., and for the University that has a big student database.

post-15332-0-10675800-1332624640_thumb.jpg

post-15332-0-23777500-1332624759_thumb.jpg

This is the dining room at Delaire Graff Restaurant

post-15332-0-38545800-1332625182_thumb.jpg

and this is a view of the Helshoogte pass from the Patio.

post-15332-0-79771800-1332625234_thumb.jpg

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am back in South Africa. Had a wonderful trip overseas. Tried as much local cuisine as I could and was allowed. Did sooooo much shopping, I was so spoiled for choice. Clothing was everywhere, and although the sizes where difficult, I had lots of fun and bargaining was good.(on the same day at 3 different shops I had to buy small, large and Xlarge pants and medium and large shirts. They all fit the same, but the sizes where very inconsistent.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

My wife and the older girls were shopping and I was walking around with the twins. Dillenburg is just 10 minutes away and the inner town with its wooden patchwork and small shops has its charm. The twins however preferred to watch ducks and swans at the Dill river.

The tower on the attached picture was shot with the twins annoying me to leave and watch the birds. So time was just to do quick shot. It is the Wilhelmsturm, a monument in honour of Wilhelm von Oranien. He was born at this place and was the main leader of the revolt which free'd the Netherlands from Spain. The national anthem of the Netherlands starts with his name.

220px-Wilhelmsturm.jpg

Chattius you live in a beautiful postcard world!

:)

Gogo

I am back in South Africa. Had a wonderful trip overseas. Tried as much local cuisine as I could and was allowed. Did sooooo much shopping, I was so spoiled for choice. Clothing was everywhere, and although the sizes where difficult, I had lots of fun and bargaining was good.(on the same day at 3 different shops I had to buy small, large and Xlarge pants and medium and large shirts. They all fit the same, but the sizes where very inconsistent.

Delta!

Im so jelly... Exotic lands and delicious foods... And us entering into the grey zone of Canadian weather... Do you have pix of the adventure? Would you return?

Gogo

Delta!

Im so jelly... Exotic lands and delicious foods... And us entering into the grey zone of Canadian weather... Do you have pix of the adventure? Would you return?

Gogo

The pictures that I took was more of the variety of clothes that I bought(my sister suggested that so that I can keep track of my shopping) and one thing in particular that shocked me to my core... the "ping pong shows" that they advertised most blatantly on the street with a menu of what is shown... we didn't see one, as I am not in the least bit interested in any lady parts... but it was soo... I don't know how else to describe it, open to everyone and anyone... There are men and women walking around with menus and they jump in front of you and shout "PING PONG SHOW?" and the big bright neon signs of the different "clubs". My sister wanted to go to the night market, where there was a wide variety of clothing, jewelry, watches, shoes, bags/purses/wallets/vanities etc, but the night market borders the dodgy area where all those "clubs" are...

I would definitely return in a few years to redo my cupboard and go shopping again, and have a good relaxing holiday. The shop service that you get is amazingly efficient(compared to South Africa) but the Front of house service in restaurants are shockingly disappointing. the food was delicious and (for my) made up for bad service.

Delta!

• Like! 1

Well as with every thing it has two sides: The ancestors paid for the postcard idyl. Nearly a castle on every hill was because of trade roads between mini kingdoms. The caravans had to be defended from robber barons (who had their own castles). The border region was even before mid age and its knights. 2000 years ago it was border region between germans, celts and romans. The lot of forest we have was because farmers refused to work and live between the frontlines. 300-400 years ago the nobles gave up more or less and allowed farmers to work for their own. But because of bad ground, hills and lot of forests they learned to use all and everything and invented rotating wood farming centuries before it became modern. Iron mines, 12 year old trees for charcoal, but not before the bark was removed for tanning, the roots were kept in ground and so new siblings grew out of them really fast. Around the small trees crop was planted and wool pigs and small cattle learned to live from mainly leaves from trees. Not much horses, the small cows were used for tracking and pulling.

The system worked fine till 1930's. It was revived at the starvation years after world war 2.

And today visiting a cinema, McDonalds, disco or even friends means that the kids have to be driven to a town. And car license is 18 years in germany.

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, there's just no place like home, huh? I spent my first 18 years in the eastern part of the States, swearing that some day I'd get to California. Between the military, my business, and just flat-out wandering, I've been all over the States, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Ecuador, and countless other places. Everywhere has it's good and bad areas, it's charms and nuisances, but nowhere beats where I was raised. I'll type the words I swore I'd never say when I was 18:there's nowhere I'd rather be in the world than back in the eastern USA.

• Like! 1
  • The title was changed to Where is Your Location