Currently Listening to... Share your music!

Guest gogoblender

33 minutes ago, Flix said:

I am currently addicted to this song.  I blast it every morning on the commute and arrive to work pumped.

irish-folk=heaveymetal?

:viking:

gogo

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, gogoblender said:

irish-folk=heaveymetal?

:viking:

gogo

Yes!  It makes a nice mix.  This guy "Miracle of Sound" is just a one man project.  I'm really liking the way the internet has changed music consumption and distribution.  The artist can publish his stuff right to the fans from his own home, and then fans can buy the music through whatever digital platform.

Another band I've been listening to lately, "The Gentle Storm"

OK... here is what I'm currently listening to:

Even if you're not into wrestling, especially of the WWE kind, there's something to appreciate when a fan puts his heart into his covers.

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to Alien Weaponry. A friend called me up " You like that Sepultura stuff, you gotta listen to these teens from New Zealand". I'm not quite sure what they're saying (as I'm Lakota, not Maori) but I kind of dig it. Granted, I think my friend's wrong, I don't think Kai Tangata can even hold a candle to Roots Bloody Roots, but I still kind of dig it.

21 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

I'm not quite sure what they're saying

I can't understand half the stuff I listen to.  :) Don't let it stop me. 

I recently heard this song play at work, and asked my fellow chef what the song is...?

It has a really catchy beat, and almost always makes the people in the kitchen move along in some way.

It is a South African group, Mafikizolo, and they sing in 4 languages, most commonly English, Xhosa, Zulu and sometimes in Afrikaans (all Native Languages of SA)

And continuing South African Artists... I've known about the band since lloooooong ago, they collaborated with Shakira for the 2010 world cup that was hosted in South Africa 

Freshlyground. Their music has a pleasing tune, the lead singer Zolani has a great voice, she uses it really well. Freshlyground's musical style blends elements of traditional South African music (such as kwela and African folk music), blues, jazz, and features of indie rock

I find this music video soooo cute/adorable/fun....

Edited by Delta!
  • 3 months later...

Our longtime volunteer fire fighter member Wittich died. After his retirement as a truck driver he was repairing our fire trucks, was driving trucks for international health organizations, was always there for help...

The burial was in our 131 people village at the small graveyard behind the church. The 2 hills around our village were covered with trucks and bikes. Must be like 500 people at the burial, all over the world. He wished for a special song and we played the English cover version from Gregorian at the organ and then when carrying the coffin with the firefighters the german original was played and song by everyone.

Wir waren geboren um zu leben
mit den Wundern jener Zeit
Sich niemals zu vergessen
bis in alle Ewigkeit
für den einen Augenblick
Bei dem jeder von uns spürte
wie wertvoll Leben ist

We were born to feel alive
under gracious skies
recalling what you said
when you closed your eyes
we were born to live and die
in the wonders of your time
so treasure every moment
and the love there is to find

The German original

On 11/7/2018 at 3:53 AM, chattius said:

Our longtime volunteer fire fighter member Wittich died. After his retirement as a truck driver he was repairing our fire trucks, was driving trucks for international health organizations, was always there for help...

The burial was in our 131 people village at the small graveyard behind the church. The 2 hills around our village were covered with trucks and bikes. Must be like 500 people at the burial, all over the world. He wished for a special song and we played the English cover version from Gregorian at the organ and then when carrying the coffin with the firefighters the german original was played and song by everyone.

mit den Wundern jener Zeit
Sich niemals zu vergessen
bis in alle Ewigkeit
für den einen Augenblick
Bei dem jeder von uns spürte
wie wertvoll Leben ist

We were born to feel alive
under gracious skies
recalling what you said
when you closed your eyes
we were born to live and die
in the wonders of your time
so treasure every moment
and the love there is to find

The German original

This sounds like a wonderful homage.  No way to have him live in your hearts and memory but with effort like this.

My condolences for your loss too Chattius

:heart:

gogo

Sheets are swaying from an old clothesline

Like a row of captured ghosts over old dead grass

Was never much but we made the most

Welcome home

Ships are launching from my chest

Some have names but most do not

If you find one, please let me know what piece I've lost

Peel the scars from off my back

I don't need them anymore

You can throw them out or keep them in your mason jars

I've come home

All my nightmares escaped my head

Bar the door, please don't let them in

You were never supposed to leave

Now my head's splitting at the seams

And I don't know if I can...

Here, beneath my lungs, I feel your thumbs press into my skin again

• 2 months later...

I truly can't remember the last time I heard something so beautiful.  Once I great while I will hear a song that hits all the right notes in me.  When I got to the part at the 4 minute mark, I literally had tears on my cheeks (sitting at work no less).

This whole channel is amazing.  It's a family of singers, and they tackle mostly Tolkien's poems.

• Like! 1
11 minutes ago, Flix said:

I truly can't remember the last time I heard something so beautiful.  Once I great while I will hear a song that hits all the right notes in me.  When I got to the part at the 4 minute mark, I literally had tears on my cheeks (sitting at work no less).

This whole channel is amazing.  It's a family of singers, and they tackle mostly Tolkien's poems.

LIstened to the entire video.  Didnt think Id like it but I did.  Always amazes me that Tolkiens poems are still being sung,..does this mean that every one keeps scoring them with their own unique music?

Btw the voices are breath taking, and the flautist work just drops me

:thumbsup:

gogo

• Like! 1
31 minutes ago, Flix said:

This music is incredible and exquisite. It would be perfect in-game music were there an instrumental version! Thank you for sharing this, Flix!

Ben, I thought that you might like a bit more information on Beren and Lúthien. Beren means brave in Sindarin and Lúthien translates as "Daughter of Flowers" and in earlier Quendian as Enchantress. This music which you have shared with us is even better the second time, now that I again listen. It is mesmerizing and enchanting and it truly does great credit to Tolkien's genius and honors his penned words. I have always been an enthusiastic follower of his miraculous tomes for they plant me soundly inside the lands of his imagining, magical places where wonders are real and the impossible is but commonplace. Realms all their own into which one may retreat from the world when the troubles it presents are overly burdensome. That's one reason why I also love Sacred 2.

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, gogoblender said:

LIstened to the entire video.  Didnt think Id like it but I did.  Always amazes me that Tolkiens poems are still being sung,..does this mean that every one keeps scoring them with their own unique music?

Btw the voices are breath taking, and the flautist work just drops me

:thumbsup:

gogo

Absolutely.  The music is an original composition - and the quality of it is a huge part of why the piece works as well as it does.  Tolkien only provided the words.  Though I think a handful of songs (mostly dwarven songs) exist as recordings of Tolkien reciting/singing them.

3 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Ben, I thought that you might like a bit more information on Beren and Lúthien. Beren means brave in Sindarin and Lúthien translates as "Daughter of Flowers" and in earlier Quendian as Enchantress. This music which you have shared with us is even better the second time, now that I again listen. It is mesmerizing and enchanting and it truly does great credit to Tolkien's genius and honors his penned words. I have always been an enthusiastic follower of his miraculous tomes for they plant me soundly inside the lands of his imagining, magical places where wonders are real and the impossible is but commonplace. Realms all their own into which one may retreat from the world when the troubles it presents are overly burdensome. That's one reason why I also love Sacred 2.

Ah Steve, you are a kindred spirit.

• Like! 1
10 hours ago, Flix said:

Absolutely.  The music is an original composition - and the quality of it is a huge part of why the piece works as well as it does.  Tolkien only provided the words.  Though I think a handful of songs (mostly dwarven songs) exist as recordings of Tolkien reciting/singing them.

Ah Steve, you are a kindred spirit.

Talk about contemporary tech... Tolkien's poems could be sung forever if the music is being consistently recreated.  This is the first time that a poem has ever come across to me as something that could be "immortal" and newly fresh everytime it surfaces.

:gogo:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love this for the visuals as much as the music itself.  Like Yellow Submarine... but metal.

I think my soul left my body for a minute at the 2 minute mark.

Do you know the feeling when you are at the opera for a musical and while listening your thoughts are drifting away? To a hot summer at the army when you couldn't wait for a beer in the evening with friends? A local brewery used Grieg's 'Solveig's song' for their TV ad's.

Their motto was 'From the heart of nature' and it was repeated with many TV-spots showing peaceful nature. But listening to Grieg at the opera and then suddenly you have the feeling for a cool beer... Must be something deep inside my dark soul.

• Haha 1

This is something that, to my mind, never goes out of style; it conveys a story and a feeling in such a puissant, captivating way to prove its role in the magical art of emoting music.

• Appreciation 1

The black queen chants the funeral march
The cracked brass bells will ring
To summon back the fire witch
To the court of the crimson king

I always get chills at that part.  That song is the definition of epic poetry in music.  That whole album is genius really. I honestly think they never surpassed it, though I liked "Red" nearly as well.

I get the same feeling when listening to Grönemeyers album 'Mensch'.

From Wikipedia

Mensch, released in 2002, is the 20th studio album by German rock/pop artist Herbert Grönemeyer. Mensch ("Human") is Grönemeyer's 11th full-length album of original compositions. The title track "Mensch" became Grönemeyer's first number-one single in Germany. The mood of the album reflects the then recent death of his wife and one of his older brothers in the same week, and is rich with poetic imagery. The songs range from rock to ballads. The richness of the imagery and language, as well as the use of creative word play, can make the lyrics difficult to understand and interpret by listeners who are not fluent in German. In Mensch Grönemeyer reflects on his own humanity as it relates to feeling loss. The song "Der Weg" in particular focuses on memories of his wife and the love they shared, while the song "Unbewohnt" is dealing with the loneliness and depression he felt after his wife's death.

Album helped me when my best friend from childhood died to the better end died. We were flying a two-seater sail-plane every sunday in for hours for 20 years. Speaking about problems or just being silent and watching the landscape, was always good to share your feelings with someone. I was godfather of his oldest child he of mine. His wife had a lungue disease and was and is still very weak. So his three young kids were more or less a part of our family when he tried to fight cancer for 3 hard years full of hope and throwbacks.

The Way

Versionen : #1#2

I can no longer see, no longer trust my eyes,

Can barely believe - feelings have turned.

I am way too tired to give up.

It would be too early since there's always a way.

We were indivisible, would've died for each other.

We were bending the rain, gave each other trust.

We always tried to turn on the schuss.

Nothing was too late, but much was too early.

We pushed each other through all the tides,

We lived the chaos, loved each other desperately.

We tried to deny reality as best as we could.

Your existence was a gift from heaven.

[Chorus]

You flooded every room with sunlight,

You turned every doubt into the opposite.

Nordic noble - your gentle goodness,

Your unrestrained pride... Life isn't fair.

We danced the film in a silver room.

Marveled at infinity from the golden balcony.

Hopelessly drowned, drunken, and everything was allowed.

Together in time warp. Midsummernight's dream.

[Chorus]

Your secure pace, your true poems,

Your serene grandeur, your unwavering fortune.

You stood up to fate.

You've never told it - your plan of happiness,

your plan of happiness.

I will not leave, I've extended my stay,

New time travel, open world.

I have you securely in my soul.

You'll be with me until the curtain's down.

You'll be with me until the curtain's down.

https://lyricstranslate.com

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone remembers 'Je suis Charlie' when a shooting at a satirical newspaper in Paris killed 12 people. In January it will be 5 years ago and the school from our third was asked to perform 'Die Gedanken sind frei' at its French partner school and then sing in many language with other school chorus. So we train it with our family house band. No tuba but concert guitar for me this time.

'Die Gedanken sind frei' is an old song, older than Pete Seeger's 'Thoughts are free', older than Sophie Scholl of the White Rose Anti-Hitler movement, older than the 1848 students revolt in Gemany, even older than the peasant revolution in 16th century. Parts of the text go back to 12th and 13th century. 

I found a nice german/english interpretation of the song: First a stroph is sung in german, than Pete Seeger's english one, then the next in german followed by the next english one, ...

When people are angry (like the attack on the newspaper) and want to say you can try to terrify us but we will never break. Then the beautiful song gets power and turns into a protest song. The following vodeo starts quite normal but at towards the end emotions win and the song gets way louder.

This is the multi-language version recorded just few days after the shooting. People in the elsac grew up mainly bilingual German and French. And the actors are not all singers. Writers, painters, artists of all kind.

The song was chosen at the end of the concert for 'Je suis Charlie'.