Currently Listening to... Share your music!

Guest gogoblender

Ha ha, you're a brave man to scroll those albums! :3lmao:

Believe it or not but that style is something I particularly like, the whole brutish technicality mixed with some neoclassical guitar melodies is something I have abound in my shelves. These two albums have been a recommendation from a friend of mine during the quarantine, since he loves the band and I wasn't a huge fan of them. So I guess he won this time around. :D My musical taste depends a lot on my mood, but when I'm into electronic music I'm more into downtempo and chilled out stuff. I'm not a huge fan of harder faster beats, I prefer the stuff below 40 bpm to be honest.

Here's the last electronic album I bought, it's excellent.

I really hoped the borders would stay closed. ;)

Camping places are just 3-5 kilometres away and the birthtown of William of Orange just 10km. He became Prince of Orange in 1544 and is thereby the founder of the Orange-Nassau branch and the ancestor of the monarchy of the Netherlands. In the Netherlands, he is also known as Father of the Fatherland (Dutch: Vader des Vaderlands)

Wilhelmsturm_Dillenburg_Luftbild.jpg

So each hot summer night pr-corona at open windows we could enjoy the voices of thousand drunk Dutch singing, what shall we drink seven days long... And if it isn't in Dutch than in German. I really hope that some day someone will sing it in its Celtic original.

Close to the 1929 original

• Like! 1

Is something like this more your jam, @Androdion?
HOME - Come Back Down (song starts at linked time) is the outtro song of a youtuber/streamer I sometimes watch. One of the best chill tracks I listen to a.t.m.

@chattius I'll keep my mouth shut over here lol 

:lujate:

Edited by Timotheus
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

You camped near Dillenburg once?

When Queen Beatrix visited we had just bought our nowaday house. Two reserve helicopters were placed just behind our barn on top of a hill, Was when the statue was made public. Wife watched at Dillenburg, me was in firefighter readiness.

8d4f7df77113140a6c141cf4b946efa7v2_max_3

148538007408d0bc-jpg.jpg

My ears are not this good to hear singing in the Netherlands, but the view to the camping place is unblocked from the upper floors of our house. And drinking songs all over the world share one thing: they are sung loud, very loud.

The fun part is: a friend from Netherlands has a big holyday house on the other side of the big hill a kilometre away. I often say we could swap houses so he can enjoy the singing and would have the feeling of being at home. He never accepted. Says it is too loud:moil:

22 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Is something like this more your jam, @Androdion?
HOME - Come Back Down (song starts at linked time) is the outtro song of a youtuber/streamer I sometimes watch. One of the best chill tracks I listen to a.t.m.

That song reminds me a bit of Boards of Canada, with all the good and the bad of it. :D Think more Carbon Based Lifeforms and less Solar Fields and you'll understand how I stand with electronic music.

This is a beautiful, enchanting tune performed by Simon and Garfunkel. The lyrics are taken from elements of old English tales dating back to the seventeenth century in which a series of impossible tasks are requested. Scarborough Fair Ballad

There is another version by Nox Arcana that I admire as well.

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Androdion said:

That song reminds me a bit of Boards of Canada, with all the good and the bad of it. :D Think more Carbon Based Lifeforms and less Solar Fields and you'll understand how I stand with electronic music.

That's more or less ambient right? 

@Hooyaah I could never really get into Simon & Garfunkel. :tomato:A bit too… You know it's quite hard to get the meaning across actually. A bit too downtempo, a bit too "soft"? I mean they have very popular songs don't get me wrong, you won't hear me say tracks like "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "Mrs. Robinson", "The Sound of Silence" or "El Condor Pasa" aren't appreciated or good songs actually. But I guess this is one of those bands that just doesn't vibe with me as the kids say these days :blush2:

@chattius I am on the floor lol :3lmao: I don't know whether you get the lyrics to the "Zeven Dagen Lang" song but for anyone curious DO NOT TURN ON SUBTITLES they are just terrible:4rofl:just incase anyone's wondering, the translation basically goes like this: 

What shall we drink

Seven days long

What shall we drink?

What a thirst!

There's plenty for everyone

So we'll drink together

So just dip into the cask!

Yes, let's drink together

Not alone!

And then we shall work

Seven days long!

Then we shall work

For each other!

Then there will be work for everyone

So we shall work together

Seven days long!

Yes, we'll work together

Not alone!

But first we have to fight

Nobody knows for how long!

First we have to fight

For our interest!

For everybody's happiness

So we'll fight together

Together we're strong!

Yes, we'll fight together

Not alone!

Edited by Timotheus
36 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

That's more or less ambient right?

Yeah, with touches of psychedelia and a subtle warm beat to drive it through. Love that "airy" style that screams of a chill atmosphere. If you want to explore this kind of sound I recommend Ultimae Records, lots of goodies there. :)

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

@chattius I am on the floor lol :3lmao: I don't know whether you get the lyrics to the "Zeven Dagen Lang" song but for anyone curious DO NOT TURN ON SUBTITLES they are just terrible:4rofl:just incase anyone's wondering, the translation basically goes like this: 

I know the lyrics. I can understand Dutch quite well when spoken. I just need around 30 minutes to move the language switch in my brain from only listening to active thinking in Dutch. For English I can do it in around 3 minutes, French I need 10. 

If not, even The Bots made a german version of their song ;) And lately D'Artagnan covered the german version and performs it at open air concerts

2 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

This is a beautiful, enchanting tune performed by Simon and Garfunkel. The lyrics are taken from elements of old English tales dating back to the seventeenth century in which a series of impossible tasks are requested. Scarborough Fair Ballad

There is another version by Nox Arcana that I admire as well.

Our 15 years old can play Scarborough Fair better and better on her electrical zither. She is preparing to play it at the audience for next years musical school allowance. The twins add some flute and guitar sometimes. She would like to study music and music instrument making.

She started with a 48 string but for the last 3 years she is training nearly only the electric zither with 72 strings. The electric zither allows playstyles similiar to a slide guitar and such. My brother, my daughter and me needed like 60 hours to build it from premade parts,

Guitar was Simon and Garfunkel, then there are variants for harp, dulcimer... Be it that I am going to get used to it or because the zither allows playing with more variations, I liked the zither variant even before my daughter started the training.

• 4 weeks later...

Late walk with the dogs and noticing the kids singing at the campfire at their tents above the hill. The German version of Amazing Grace is about a beautiful day, birds singing,.. Played at birthdays, wedding and not burials.

Our #3 trains this song for solo performance with e-harp for music school. But she wsa only playing e-harp and singing the refrain. Don't know who was singing it, I think our niece. We promised to visit the kids for two weeks just for emergencies at their quick made local summer camp with friends and cousins

Ein Schöner Tag

A beautiful day was given to us

such as there are not many

filled from pure joy

unclouded by worries

With songs which the lark sings

so the morning began

the sun gave golden splendor

the day it then began

A beautiful day full of harmony

is like a precious jewel

it illuminates you and calls out to you

“Today you should be happy.”

And what destiny brings to you also,

whatever may come always,

it stays with you, the memory,

about a beautiful day.

https://lyricstranslate.com

• Like! 1
On 7/13/2020 at 4:50 PM, chattius said:

Ein Schöner Tag

A beautiful day was given to us

such as there are not many

filled from pure joy

unclouded by worries

With songs which the lark sings

so the morning began

the sun gave golden splendor

the day it then began

A beautiful day full of harmony

is like a precious jewel

it illuminates you and calls out to you

“Today you should be happy.”

And what destiny brings to you also,

whatever may come always,

it stays with you, the memory,

about a beautiful day.

Ah, that's such better lyrics than the self-effacing, dreary & debased funeral song that we sing in English.  I could almost enjoy the tune hearing it a completely different context like that.

8 hours ago, Flix said:

Ah, that's such better lyrics than the self-effacing, dreary & debased funeral song that we sing in English.  I could almost enjoy the tune hearing it a completely different context like that.

Yes, german lyrics of Amazing Grace are a fitting melody for a nice day ending with some singing at a campfire. When I was young I nearly fell in love to the singer. She was then 30 years younger than o nthe video ;)

The most wished song at funerals in our area is 'So nimm denn meine Hände' translated into English as 'Take thou my Hand, O Father'. The German lyrics 'take my hands and lead me till my end' fit to a christening that the young baby will be lead by god for its whole life, a wedding promise or as well as to a funeral. Most often when played at their wedding old people wish for the song at the funeral of their beloved too. This time it is not the husband/bride who takes the hand but god. The english lyrics are just for a funeral, while the German one fits from christening, wedding, christening of own childs and funeral for the whole life.

With corona funerals are a bit sad currently. Normally not much people allowed, distance, no singing in the closed hall at graveyard, masks,.. Luckily we had no dead person in our village yet. But people from neighbour village ask if they can do funerals at our village graveyard. It is in the open, lot of room for cars parking, 8 entries/exits and we did electric access at several places on the graveyard in the planing phase for loudspeakers and microphons 12 years ago. In the other village the graveyard is connected to the church and mid in village with nearly no room.

Our third connects e-zither and microphon sometimes and sings from a platform on her little pickup 10 metres away. She said people gave her 50 Euro and she asked if she should accept it. I said professionals take 150-250 and that the people were happy that there was at least a bit singing. Fuel, time, ... so the 50 are mainly covering costs and no bad feeling needed.

• Like! 1

Luckily the kids are at an improvised summer camp. Else they would roll on the floor laughing. I am quite good with the bass tuba, but I touch a bass guitar perhaps once a year. My wife is a terrible singer but plays piano and saxophon. Our third asked us to study a song and she plans to play improvised zither music to it and doing the singing. Since she has French and not English at school and she wanted something fresh and funny she was choosing : 'Je veux' from ZAZ. Well at least I knew the song. After downloading the musical notes we started a first try... Luckily we live far far away from other house mid in forest.

I WANT

Give me a suite of rooms in Ritz hotel, I wouldn't want it
Chanel jewellery, I wouldn't want it
Give me a limousine, what would I do with that?
Pay a staff for me, what would I do with them?
A manor-house in Neufchatel, I'm not meant for that
Buy me the Eiffel Tower, what would I do with that?

I want love, joy and cheerfulness
Your money won't buy me happiness
I just want to die with a hand on my chest
Let's go together discover my freedom
Let you forget all your stereotypes
Welcome into my reality

I'm sick of your good manners, they're more than I can take
I eat with my hands - that's just the way I am
I'm loud and straightforward, pardon me
Down with hypocrisy, I'm outta here!
I'm sick of their wooden language
Just look at me, anyway I don't bear a grudge and that's the way I am!

I want love, joy and cheerfulness
Your money won't buy me happiness
I just want to die with a hand on my chest
Let's go together discover my freedom
Let you forget all your stereotypes
Welcome into my reality

They're one of those bands I always avoided cuz I didn't like their name, but I played one of the new songs they released this year and it didn't sound too bad. I'll probably give Apex and the new album a whirl when I'm researching new music again.

Still busy with new CD arrivals (got a pile more to go through). Playing this now:

I'll have to grab their first 2 CDs once the pandemic is over (or at any rate, when it takes less than 2-3 months for an international package to arrive).

• 3 weeks later...

We're having a rainy Sunday as well... after a loooooooooooooong day with the family yesterday eating eating eating... chilling with this exquisite sound track you've fyi'd to me ... 

terrific!

I'd forgotten the movie had this amazing music

:music:

gogo