Currently Listening to... Share your music!

Guest gogoblender

10 hours ago, Flix said:

Oops, I missed this.  I discovered the Theorbo sometime last year thanks to a channel featuring a classical guitarist who also has a keen interest in other "elder" stringed instruments.  If I understand right it was an Italian invention.

Most of these beasts are called Theorbo's today. They splitted in different instruments all called theorbos. When I said german Theorbe it would be an instrument timed between the baroque lute and the later theorbos: Deutsche Basslaute (german bass lute) with 10 strings, 4 bass. The swedish variant had 6+6. The advantage of a bass lute was that in difference to a guitar-lute all the bass strings had resonance frequencies. They could swing without hitting them when another string with a fitting frequence was played. They could also be hit to play bass. Sometimes the bass-lutes are called swan-neck lutes, reason can be seen in the video.

This guy calls it 'theorbo bass-lute'. So lot of confusion with the names :)

My daughter says it is a deutsche theorbisierte Basslaute schwedischer Art = a basslute of the swedisch way turned a bit into a theorbo and made in Germany 200 years ago.

We are looking for the 4-bass string variant.

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

That's me playing the Diablo 2 Tristram Theme:

There seem to be a lot of Diablo fans here (including myself), and currently this is one of my if not the favourite piece of mine. Video Game Music is always the best to play for me:wink: Enjoy!

• Like! 1
19 hours ago, Lindor said:

That's me playing the Diablo 2 Tristram Theme:

There seem to be a lot of Diablo fans here (including myself), and currently this is one of my if not the favourite piece of mine. Video Game Music is always the best to play for me:wink: Enjoy!

Thats awesome!! Lindor, wished I'd kept up with my lessons taken as a kid just to remember and pay homage to all the great game riffs... thank you for the share friend!

:hugs:
gogo

• Thanks! 1
18 minutes ago, Thorin Oakshield said:

As I'm always the last 6 days of a year, I'm listening to this:

https://www.nporadio2.nl/top2000

Thorin :)

Golden Earring on 6 of the top 2000. List must be from our neighbours to the northwest ;)

Actually the only band from the top 50 of your list which I watched life, inclusive photo with the band. They gave a concert in Wetzlar and the youth firefighters were doing park zones and parametre control and clean up.

I think 10 - Boudewijn de Groot and 27 - Racoon are dutch too?

I have the bad luck that the camping place at Dillenburg (where Wilhelm von Oranien was born) is just a view kilometres away. With strong wind from wrong direction and hundreds dutch drunk enough ... I do not need a radio when walking with the dogs.

On 12/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, chattius said:

Golden Earring on 6 of the top 2000. List must be from our neighbours to the northwest ;)

Actually the only band from the top 50 of your list which I watched life, inclusive photo with the band. They gave a concert in Wetzlar and the youth firefighters were doing park zones and parametre control and clean up.

I think 10 - Boudewijn de Groot and 27 - Racoon are dutch too?

I have the bad luck that the camping place at Dillenburg (where Wilhelm von Oranien was born) is just a view kilometres away. With strong wind from wrong direction and hundreds dutch drunk enough ... I do not need a radio when walking with the dogs.

Actually #2 Danny Vera is Dutch as well (learned that this Christmas, funnily enough), as are #14 DI-RECT and of course #20 Miss Montreal. 

I found out one of my favorite Chillstep artists put up a new album, 10 years since his previous one and I'm currently enjoying that. YT link to one of the new tracks: 

And here's the p[aylist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n9SZMK3S8iNkqQHItsvB0sLBk8YiaOo1o

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

morning everyone!

its the weekend, and horribly cold here in mtl...  

here just sipping some coffee and amusingly listening to Dolly Parton.

IMG_6815.jpg.. a friend made me promise to make an attempt...and I'm actually feeling something...hard work, discipline, loyalty from the lyrics and the pleasant melodies ...

Dollly bringing it on

:superman: 

gogo

heh...there's actually a cold weather warning here in MTL for this week...im ascairdo to leave the comfort of this desk and hot chocolate and at least get some groceries done,  Dolly has strangely soothed me into just sitting around

:4rofl:

gogo

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

I'm currently jamming the new Cult of Luna album, which isn't even out officially yet. Massive as usual, this one should give you guys a taste of what it sounds like.

soooo ...big confession here, im not such a huge fan of metal...yes everyone tomatoe me now... big secret :4rofl: and  it always kills me how like almost 90 percent of the community here is so loving metal? :D

but I enjoyed the video Androdion... i loved its theme of exploration and discovery and, course, that sun shining our way forward was good taste?

of course

:P

:gogo:

gogo

4 minutes ago, chattius said:

I was listening to Scorpions 'Peacemaker' in radio while driving to my daughter in hospital. Are they really in their 50th band year?

I know many who idolized this band, Chattius I hope your daughter is okay, hospital
sending good vibes

:schot:

gogo

3 hours ago, chattius said:

I was listening to Scorpions 'Peacemaker' in radio while driving to my daughter in hospital. Are they really in their 50th band year?

They were doing a farewell tour ten years ago last time I've checked. :3lmao:

3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I loved its theme of exploration and discovery

Yeah, it's an album the lead singer has said to be very personal in that respect. He said somewhere that the long road north (I.e. album title) is the road back home or something along those lines. The band has a very complex sound and the album brings much more than what that track shows. There's clean vocals and more ambient stuff as well. On their last EP they did a song with Mark Lanegan for instance.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, Androdion said:

They were doing a farewell tour ten years ago last time I've checked. :3lmao:

Yeah, it's an album the lead singer has said to be very personal in that respect. He said somewhere that the long road north (I.e. album title) is the road back home or something along those lines. The band has a very complex sound and the album brings much more than what that track shows. There's clean vocals and more ambient stuff as well. On their last EP they did a song with Mark Lanegan for instance.

Its a thoughtful vocal,  He's got a good bit on his mind that he wants to share  and it's felt in his performance.

Not at all what I expected or possibly capable ( :lol: ) from this genre. (which of course I dont listen to very often, BUT...which is where ( :4rofl: ) the horrible name for our website DarkMatters came from 18 years ago... :D 

Enjoyed the listen/exploration , ty for the share

:hugs:

gogo

• 1 month later...

I am a grandpa now, grewing up in a Germany at the cold war with 'tactical' nuclear weapons with a range around 100km, french and british rockets not having the range to hit russia but just germany and poland,.. Each day could be the last if a mad man drops the bomb...

It must be close to what the youth in ukraine must be feeling searching shelter in the metros. Each minute could be the last. I really hoped the cold war would be over. It is, but it seems it is just turning into a hot war.

Let's dance in style, let's dance for a while
Heaven can wait we're only watching the skies
Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst
Are you gonna drop the bomb or not?

• Appreciation 1
  • 2 months later...

While on 'Related Words' thread I was listening to Faun Again, Sadly there was covid and no medieval festivals with music, knight tournaments, ancient marketplaces, campfires...

Normally they sing with two female vocals in German. My favourite is Federkleid. The official video starts with a red kite and red kites breed in line of sight from our house. Its nice to watch the majestic birds. This video has the english translation but not the birds :(

Without the lyrics, but with the birds. The song is even better understandable when have it on the phones and watch the real red kites doing their dancing mating flights.

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

I listen to a lot of music while running, and have come to rely upon play lists generated from Apple Music by what i listen most to, how many time i listen to it, u know... all that spooky behaviour analysis. This one has shown up a few times across some channels for me lately, cool mix of trance, imagination, epic end of adventure, and...steel drums... all that layering of scales at the end... worth its repeats

:)

gogo

A cousine marries tomorrow and we are training the German version of Amazing Graze, which has a way different text

Ein Schöner Tag

A beautiful day was given to us

such as there are not many

filled from pure joy

unclouded by worries

With songs which the lark sings

so the morning began

the sun gave golden splendor

the day it then began

A beautiful day full of harmony

is like a precious jewel

it illuminates you and calls out to you

“Today you should be happy.”

And what destiny brings to you also,

whatever may come always,

it stays with you, the memory,

about a beautiful day.

https://lyricstranslate.com

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if there are any modern prog fans around, but I've had opportunity to attend Porcupine Tree gig for the 1st time and have to admit that it was an insane emotional trip, cannot recall 3 hours passing so quickly ever before.

If anybody ever gets the chance - highly recommended, dropping the link to the playlist of their newest album, in case somebody would like to check it out.

• Thanks! 1
3 hours ago, Vexxter said:

Not sure if there are any modern prog fans around, but I've had opportunity to attend Porcupine Tree gig for the 1st time and have to admit that it was an insane emotional trip, cannot recall 3 hours passing so quickly ever before.

If anybody ever gets the chance - highly recommended, dropping the link to the playlist of their newest album, in case somebody would like to check it out.

Last LP I bought in that direction was Iron Butterfly ;)

Currently we have sunshine, clear sky and I am listening to the big chains of cranes flying south while doing some garden work.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

My wife was singing Janis' Mercedes Benz when reading the news special what happened in 2022. Luckily my name isn't Lord. 143 millions at an auction for a 1955 Mercedes Gullwing. My first Unimog is as old, perhaps I should try to sell it.

unfassbar-das-mercedes-benz-300slr-uhlen

• Like! 1