cPanel Authentication

Not sure why, but in the past few hours, whenever I click on a topic under the "New Posts" screen, the cPanel login window pops up asking for authentication. I've never seen this happen before from cruising a messageboard, but I though you guys might want to know about it.

hmm, it's interesting that cpanel is linked to anything on the forum.. there's obviously a database error or something

for example www.theagora.org/cpanel controls my web, databases, etc...

gl fixing it guys, doesnt sound like its gonna be a fun day

Glad it's not just me. I thought I had contracted some kind of virus or phishing bot somehow.

Eeks, so if it's happening to others, then there could be a long night for our admin friends...

Better them than me, hahahaha :4rofl:

Ack! This is a bit of a surprise... :o:unsure:

Ok! I'm on tha case. :oooo: First thing I noticed is that the pop up only seems to happen when using the "Ogame Skin", (one of the choices of skin you can click on at the bottom-left of screen). So I guess that should narrow down my search on the various html, css, php, javascript... Oh and the entire IPB software functions as well of course. I've got a pretty good idea of where the problem is tho. Won't take too long at all to figure out. You guys can switch to another skin for a while if you want and I'll post back when I've corrected it.

*Of course what I'm really going to do is send IPB customer support an urgent and very desperate messeage, (Titled appropriately: END OF THE WORLD! ), explaining how certain I am that it couldn't have been anything I have done... again. Then sit in front of my pc for hours on end. Staring at my inbox. Clicking the refresh button over and over again until a reponse on how the IPB technician fixed the problem... again. Oh and then I post back here and tell y'all how [cough] I [/cough] fixed it. :D

Honestly I couldn't think my way out of a paper bag right now... :) But I'll be ship shape in the morning. Promise!

Fear not. I am.... a professional. :4rofl::unsure::help::oooo:

Lets see...just now I got it again but I have changed the skin so fingers crossed!

Erm Schot I only get it with the ogame skin...so I'll switch skins for now and keep checking in here ;)

GL...Have every faith in you :o

erm I am guessing you are tinkering this cpanel thingy as I am now getting it no matter what skin I use :4rofl:

Schot here have some :) some :unsure: and thiese fellows to help you kick it into oblivion :unsure::help::oooo::oooo:

and a :D

Thanx erailc! I think that did the trick. :) Anyone else for some? :4rofl: Me brain is fried and there are some unanswered questions so I'll let you guys know what happened when I... uh, understand. Hehe.

Goodnight, good day and good posting. :unsure:

Guest gogoblender

lol, poor schot...

heh, next time you come back here after a long forum sojourn I hope you don't get quite the welcome you did from our challengs with the cpanel

Well...loox like all is good here at dark matters

Welcome back schotty dude..and nice work on the repairs

lol...

ahh, karma

:mad:

gogo

lol...

ahh, karma

:P

gogo[/color]

grrrrr! *gags gogo and forces him to read html* :viking:

hehe, yaaaay! I done it! :) Tanx erialc! :viking:

I haven't talked to the folks at IPB yet but believe it or not that lil cpanel prob we had may have been a result of a hacker! :o That is like soooo cool! We're important enough to be hacked! :viking:

About an hour or 2 before Ankhanu began this topic, (Oh and btw, thanx very much for bringing this to our attention Ankhanu. Very much appreciated. :) ), IPB had sent gogo an email regarding a possible hack of the forum and that they had changed some passwords in an attempt to lock out said possible hacker.

In all honesty I haven't made security a major priority being that we've been in our infancy as forums go. I suppose now is the time to re-assess that and learn more about the security features to do with the forum. Ah well... More reading. :)

Feedback is always a good thing guys. Feel free to give it whatever it may be. :)

P.s. The actual problem that was causing the cpanel thing to appear was that little up arrow button you can push to bring you to the top of the page: Topofpage.gif

The url for that image had been altered in such a way that it was no longer able to load in the forum. I just had to change the url for it back to the way it was. Oddly enough though the corrupt url was re-written in a way that would cause the cpanel to request authorization. Cpanel is where we upload all the forum pics for those who don't know. So there you have it. A mystery "almost" solved.

Ack! Noooooooo! Not the custom fonts thing again! lol :viking: I'm being punished aren't I. :viking:

Well I suppose it couldn't hurt to see if there's been any progress in that area on the net. I'll do a little digging. :viking: