Sign in to follow this  
gogoblender

Dell USB Keyboard US SK-8115

Thing is so clunky and old.  The key stroke on it is so huge that it seems my fingers suck up to their knuckles every time I type.  How did the simple act of writing become something so bogged down in physical exertion :lol:  I'd originally gotten this key board around ten years ago  ( maybe more  :eek: ) from work.  Its cool tray running around the outside was very attractive to me then... and ...it had green lights! :dance2:    As the years began to roll by...that sweet "tray" running round the outside slowly became something else...the worlds most efficient collector of cookie crumbs and dust balls. As the cookies collect, the pressing becomes harder and my love of writing begins to wane. 

A good and scrub always does it wonders. Take a photo shot of the keys, then pluck out all the parts, drop them into a vat of dire soap let sit for two hours then towel them all down, wash and polish, now while dry upon the towel.  The next part always, at least at the beginning, seems to be a nightmare... more than a hundred keys facing you and black maw where the keyboard's face once was.  I make piles of letters, numbers... then piles of F keys, then a big pile of anything keys. Always easier to finish it from the outside in, drink a cup of tea, listen to some music... and voila... Raised, alive and in good shape, for another three years!

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

61143059041__04A6AD72-AA82-490F-B627-8FF67504BE42.jpg

61143057195__F87A1880-4D8C-4025-B365-F4C17B3CCF00.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

61144570980__799C5899-DBE9-43BA-B331-093D9632D504.jpg

61144579389__63F9CE7B-F0A6-46A4-AA5E-EFCAAC61728E.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

Three of my keyboards are from 1989: IBM Model M. The old heavy weight type with a steel plate and the 'famous' buckling spring torsional snap actuator:

413px-Bucklingspring-animation-300ms.gif

QWERTZ and not this stupid QWERTY, no WINDOWS Key, a broad space key, ... Guess mine were once so clean as this one. They don't move on the desk because of the weight. I am in an age when typewriters were still sold and TAUGHT in school. The keyboard was close to the typewheel typewriter we used for mathematical formulas  for the spirit duplicator at school. So typing on the keyboard was a known feeling.

IMG_20190127_184534-1024x533.jpg

• Like! 1

Posted (edited)

The model m is legendary indeed, it's been decades since I have types on one myself. Would not cross nu mind as a gaming keyboard though!

I'm gaming on a HyperX Alloy FPS Pro, which is a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with Cherry Red switches. For the money I've spent, not sure I would buy that again. I'm not sold on the height of mechanical keyboards in general. You definitely need a wrist rest - preferably attached IMO - to feel more comfortable. 

May I drool over the Logitech G915?:wub:

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

• lol, what is with these huge, deep switches for "gamers"  :blink: .... I would think that because you have to press deeper it means more time spend traveling downwards hence getting to the execute actually takes longer...how could this be "gamer "  :lol: 
  • Even my cousin is in love with  his cherries and that huge clacking noise it makes... looking forward to the day when I can just trade mine to a shorter travel key set up keyboard... Gotta say though Timo...your choice is indeed dreamy... great work on that lighting..someone has really put some great design into it. Id consider something like that because it kind of "looks" like a flatter board. 

:)

gogo

The slower your keyboard and mouse, the slower your computer and harddisc... the more work you put in your character build to survive ;)

@gogoblender reds are very light and aren't clicky, so that helps :4rofl:

Here's a sound comparison: