Ogame 101

well I kind stole this from the DA forum :D

so thx cel, yellowlab and Indy :drinks:

First take alook at the OGame forum in the Help & Questions Section. There's a lot of good info there. Here's the link: OGame Forum

Use the Help button on the left panel on the OGame Player screen. It takes you to a compilation of info from the forum mentioned above, but it's a little more organized by subject.

As we progress I suggest you download the battle simulator called SpeedSim. It allows you to enter or paste data from your spy runs and determine the battle outcomes and percentages as well as projected flight times and resource takes.

This link should get you there SpeedSim . I think this is the german version, but you can find a link there (upper left hand corner, IIRC) to the English version for download.

There also a pretty good cost estimator at OGame Cost Estimator

And, please don't hesitate to ask questions. I made some pretty dumb errors and assumptions in Universe 9 and as a result had my A$$ handed to me by an aggressor, not once but twice. You'd think I'd learn!

I've found a couple more very helpful tools for OGame.

1. OGame Report Processor [ORP] - This is a MS Access database that a pretty talented DBA put together and made available to the community. It allows you copy and paste Galaxy views, Esp Reports, Combat Reports and Alliances stats. Doing this then allows you to keep track (more quickly and accurately than pen and paper) of what's going around you. You can assign ratings to planets, players, and alliances such as: raidable, dangerous, inactive, banned, friendly, normal, crashable, etc. and with this you can then filter the DB view to see only raidables or inactives and/or raidables and inactives, planets/players scanned within the last 1 day/week/month, those attacked within the last day/week/month, etc. It saves a lot of deut by reducing the number of times you'll need to look at the galaxy page [but, I suggest you update these on a regular basis - the tool will alert you to changes in player names, alliances and status]

You can also set personal parameters such as amount of crystal>10,000, defense> [a set number of points]; so that when you scan and paste the ESP report the field is highlighted making it easier to spot.

The alliance stats will give you some indication of the relative strength [average points per member] of that player, but is in no means a substitute for other in-game look-ups using the search function and stats pages when assessing a players strength. Which leads to the second tool below...

The link to the download page is: OGame Report Processor [ORP] , just sign up and download it.

2. The Second Tool is OGame Statistik, a web based search engine that allows you to enter a player name and it will retrieve, from the statistics page, the total points, number of fleet and number of research points that player has over the last five days. You can tell by analyzing the graphical display what the player has been up to. Here's mine from UNI 10 OGame Statistik . It's all in German, but here's a translation - Punkte = Points; Flotte = Fleet; Forschung = Research. You will be able to spot inactives before the little (I) shows up, tell whether the player is investing in fleet, defense [total points increasing without increases in fleet or research] or research, and whether he/she has sustained fleet losses.

To use it, go the link above and replace your name or another players name for mine. Now this will only work for those who have points on the stats page in the particular universe you're playing in. If they do not have points on the stats page, you'll get kinda of an error message screen [in german]. Note: [to change universes, replace the uni10 in the url to uni[which ever number] and type in a name at the end].

Both of these tools are free and ORP just requires a download. I've been playing around with both of these for a couple of days and I've increased tremendously the opportunities for finding raidable targets and inactives,plus simplified my record keeping a lot... [thanks much to crunchie, Indy13 and gogoblender for this info].

Some very good CR converters, to make your CRs more appealing when posting them on forums:

DutchDemon's CR converter - Download version

Takana's CR Converter v1.612 beta - Web page version

Macrosm64 Cr Converter - Direct download

And a site to calculate the damage done by missiles:

RakSim - Web page version

Programs similar to SpeedSim:

DragoSim - Download version

DragoSim - Web page version

A guide for all newbie's and even some advanced strategies for others:

http://www.ogametips.com/

I actually found this as one of the ads at the top of one of my sessions. Loads of interesting articles.

bob