Kingdoms of Amalur THQ Nordic Remaster

Todd Mcfarlane, R A Salvatore...stop right there... how can this not be anything less than amazing

voice acting, epic fight scenes, really really AWESOME magic... 

THQ Nordic...seems like they're on the ball ... what could possibly be next 

:thumbsup:

gogo

• 1 month later...

I already beat the original twice, not sure if I feel like playing it again. If the remaster is given to original buyers, I may give it another playthrough though. I never tried a spellcaster or a 2H-hammer build yet.

Apparently they're doing an expansion for it too. Now whether it is of quality remains to be seen.

• Like! 1

Thanks! (took me like 10 years to post though lol)

The Amalur remaster is up on steam now (the original got yanked). Apparently the visuals will be improved a bit, and some balancing tweaks. Most importantly, enemy levels will no longer be fixed after you enter a zone. That was really annoying in the original and promoted a lot of (imo needless) metagaming. Not sure if they're going to do anything else with level-scaling or anything. I'm assuming there will be a harder difficulty level added, since difficulty was one of the biggest complaints I've seen with the game.

Big Huge Games apparently had a patch in the works before 38 studios folded, so maybe some of those fixes will make it in. I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't experience many bugs (except a few inventory items that you can't delete/remove).

[edit] I replied to the wrong thread, that response was meant for the Amalur one. I need more coffee! lol

Edited by Perdition

Looks like the remaster will be more modder-friendly.

Very curious to see how they balance the game. The original was fun, but got way too easy later on and some systems were pretty broken (eg, crafting).

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Flix said:

Some gameplay trailers for the various paths in Re-Reckoning are out now.  I'm ready for the Sorcery trailer! By far the best skill tree.

Yes, I'm looking forwards to this as well. Had previously payed through with finesse and might so am also looking forwards to going for a sorcery based character.

Only thing I need to consider is that I just logged into my origin account and I still have access to the original game so waiting to see if the improvements are worth another $50 or so...

My prior 2 playthroughs were melee (2H Sword) and dagger/archer, so giving the magic tree a go sounds like a plan.

With level-scaling/zones, the monster/item levels are no longer permanently set when you enter an area for the first time, but all areas have a maximum level. This was my primary gripe with the original. If there was room for farming, that would be nice (I've obviously played too much Sacred 2 and Grim Dawn :P)

Also, it looks like the skillbar is expanded from 4 to 8 slots, and the item stash is greatly expanded.

I'm not expecting any new skills or a level cap increase with the remaster, but I'm hoping the upcoming expansion next year will have that.

Every time when I saw this topic appear, I had the feeling over me that I knew the name, but wasn't able to lay my finger at it.

So yesterday I decided to check the game on Steam and it still rang a very small bell. So I decided to download and install the demo.

The moment the first introduction screen began - you know, the two gnomes with that large cart - I was like: "Oh thàt one!"

Problem was, I couldn't remember where I had played it; only was certain that I had played it and that it was an EA game.

Took me a bit to realize EA is Origin, so I upgraded my Origin and low and behold, there is was....... uninstalled. :D

So I installed it last night and decided to do a little bit of playing today. Well, not that little, actually; spend 5 hours in that game a new character, as I decided to remove my 2014 saves.

Took me a while to actually know which path to take, so I've made two wrong decissions; but at my current level they won't hurt me that much.

Decided to go for a rogue / mage build, with eventually some sword play build into that as well.

Given you start pretty fast with a sword and you're able to do quite some nice damage with those, I had allocated points in both sword fight, as daggers as the lightning bolt.

I won't be using bows, as the aiming in this game is really a PitA; but I think the magic may overcome that problem. And from what I've seen, the combination of using stealth for the first kill(s) - daggers for now, but won't be long before I can get my Fae-blades - and magic to ward (read: considerable lessen their HP) enemies off works well.

Well, at least at the first area. :D

All in all it looks like I just have to put another game at my Steam wishlist. One week before it's released......

Thorin :)

• Like! 1

Looks like people who owned the original on steam will get a 50% discount for the remaster and expansion.

It also looks like difficulty levels will affect how much higher/lower an enemy's level is in regards to yours, plus damage/health and being attacked by multiple enemies at once. So the very hard difficulty could very well be unplayable quite challenging. I'll probably stick with normal, as usual. Maybe hard if I find myself getting bored. Being forced to use certain mechanics (ie potions) for survival may be a good thing, but there better be an incentive for tougher enemies (ie, more treasure, xp, etc) for me to bother.

24 minutes ago, Thorin Oakshield said:

Decided to go for a rogue / mage build, with eventually some sword play build into that as well.

Given you start pretty fast with a sword and you're able to do quite some nice damage with those, I had allocated points in both sword fight, as daggers as the lightning bolt.

I won't be using bows, as the aiming in this game is really a PitA; but I think the magic may overcome that problem. And from what I've seen, the combination of using stealth for the first kill(s) - daggers for now, but won't be long before I can get my Fae-blades - and magic to ward (read: considerable lessen their HP) enemies off works well.

Finesse/Sorcery is a very fun combination.  That's what I played in my last playthrough a few months ago.  I alternated between Magic Spells/Chakrams for ranged combat and the Fae Blades when I was forced into close combat.  Even though the Chakrams are mage weapons they benefit a lot from the Finesse talents because they count as "bladed weapons" so you can add poison & bleeding damage to them.

9 minutes ago, Perdition said:

Looks like people who owned the original on steam will get a 50% discount for the remaster and expansion.

Didn't know that; that's awesome to hear.

With the expanded toolbar, I'll be more inclined to try out some other abilities from other trees. On steam's forum, some people have claimed there's more skills/abilities added or something.

A universalist could also be fun to try out (33% of each tree or something). If the expansion increases the level limit, hybrid classes could be more interesting. I hope I can transfer my characters from the original into the remastered version. They're considering a transfer tool for that, but I haven't heard more on it.

Oh, there's an additional 10% discount at launch, so I may get the version with the expansion.

Nah, the discount is Steam-only, unfortunately.

And the game is out. Hopefully I didn't waste $20 CND on it (some of the reviews seem kinda mixed). 40 gigs, ouch. Good thing I upgraded my internet connection a couple years ago. Tackling this with my old 300 kb/s connection would've been torture.

Hmm so with the discount I can get Re-Reckoning plus the upcoming add-on if I pay $21.99.  I've got til Sep. 22 to make up my mind.  Pretty sure I'll get it, but might wait a little bit.

I was originally going to wait, but my emotions + boredom got the best of me. At worst I wasted $20. Not the end of the world... hell I wasted 20 bucks on junk food today (which I totally don't need lol).

Since I'm running a 10 year old toaster, I'll probably run this with lower settings.

I'm also hoping THQNordic will continue to patch/improve the game between now and the expansion (and hopefully long after that).

Well I broke down and bought it.  :3lmao: 

I'll try to put together a decent comparison, though I'm sure youtube videos doing the same will be sprouting up like mushrooms over the coming weeks.

33GB vs. the original 11GB.  :wacko:

• Like! 1

I just finished the first zone and honestly the experience is pretty similar to the original. The big game changer is getting rid of the level-locked zones. That was such a fun-killer in the original and this fix is making the game much more enjoyable for me. Its nice that I don't have to worry about OCD-triggering metagaming with which regions I go to or not. Not sure I'd farm the starting area/dungeons as opposed to just forging on to new areas though.

I probably will be more inclined to farm areas over and over because I'm considering avoiding crafting this time around. We'll see how long that lasts :lol:

Detect secrets is such a nice skill, probably the best one to max out right away. I swear I get more gear from logs and stone piles than treasure chests.

• Like! 1

I just played through the tutorial and wandered around Gorhart for a bit.

The main thing I notice?  Massive framerate drop playing Re-Reckoning, without nearly enough visual improvement to justify it.  I mean, it's a bit sharper and less hazy looking, but...

Emerging into Gorhart in the original, I get 70-80 FPS.  It feels silky smooth.

In Re-Reckoning I get 30-45 FPS at best, and it's constantly dipping up and down.  The game feels sluggish, laggy, and "heavy" because of it.

The graphics settings are set the same in both games.  I don't have "Supersampling" or anything fancy turned on Re-Reckoning.  So... even though I like having a functioning quest log (did not work above 1080p in vanilla), I hope they make some improvement to performance.

The removal of level-locking is a god send though.  I can only imagine how great it will be to just do all of Detyre at once, for example, rather than bouncing back to Erathell constantly to avoid out-leveling the sub-regions.

• Like! 1

I'm not sure if my computer is a good indicator of performance, but I do think the load times between areas may be a bit longer than usual. I'm used to slowness and whatnot, so I'm not too bothered. I do hope THQ does a lot of patches between now and the DLC.

I have seen some glitches that weren't in the original - like some lootbags from corpses not being able to be opened.

The other great thing about fixing the leveling and zones is you'll get better loot. Having all chests in a region level-locked too early really sucks. Supposedly loot is weighed in favor of your class, but I've received a lot of non-mage items so far. Oh well, it makes nice vendor trash and I need all the money I can get in the early-mid game (it becomes a total non-issue later on though).

The min-maxing with skills/trainers/books is fairly annoying (one of my annoyances with the original), but I don't think there's anything that can be done about that (and its probably not even necessary to exploit).

• Like! 1
On 9/8/2020 at 10:43 PM, Flix said:

Well I broke down and bought it.  :3lmao: 

I'll try to put together a decent comparison, though I'm sure youtube videos doing the same will be sprouting up like mushrooms over the coming weeks.

33GB vs. the original 11GB.  :wacko:

How did this go Ben... the screen shots looks insanely gorgeous... is the actual game super immersive from the touch ups?

:)

gogo