Sacred 2 - Sword or Hafted Weapons?

Greetings! After posting the damage type preferences a few days ago, today I am back with another question for this forum.

Q: What's your favorite one-handed weapon type between Sword and Hafted Weapons and why?

I'm planning to build a pure melee Temple Guardian and if he can only use one-handed weapons, I'm undecided between Swords and Hafted weapons. 

Depends on your desired effect as swords tend to give a boost to attack speed and secondary physical effects (open wound for instance), whereas hafted tend to give chance to stun. So if you're going for a dedicated lore with mastery in mind you should take that into consideration.

Right now I'm running a pole arm build to proc "chance to hit multiple opponents" which the lore skill unlocks and increases. Every weapon lore has its impact in some form like this. :)

Just now, Androdion said:

Depends on your desired effect as swords tend to give a boost to attack speed and secondary physical effects (open wound for instance), whereas hafted tend to give chance to stun. So if you're going for a dedicated lore with mastery in mind you should take that into consideration.

I was thinking of going for a Deathly Spears-focused build with a bit of some Source Warden combat arts into it. So I believe Hafted Weapons will be the better choice here.
I rarely play shield & weapon builds or one-handed weapons in particular since I go Dual Wield for most of the melee builds where casters like High Elf can easily work without any weapon lore.

The skill build is complete, I will go like this:

Level 2 - Tactics Lore
Level 3 - Devout Guardian Focus
Level 5 - Armor Lore
Level 8 - Swords/Hafted Weapons
Level 12 - Source Warden Focus
Level 18 - Concentration
Level 25 - Constitution
Level 35 - Toughness
Level 50 - Warding Energy Lore
Level 65 - Combat Discipline

Combat arts used will be:
Devout Guardian:
*Deathly Spears (modified with Singe to inflict fire damage and Jab to strike multiple times)
*Dedicated Blow
*Battle Extension
*Combat Alert (Turned into buff)
*T-Energy Shroud (second buff)

Source Warden:
*Fiery Ember (for the fire damage amplification that synergies with the Singe mod for Spears and for the fire-based weapons I'll use)
*Charged Grid
*Untouchable Force (third buff after Concentration mastery)

Well, with that build both should work fine. Hafted will make stun proc with Jab, but on the other hand faster attack speed bonus from Sword should proc Jab even further. I think you can basically flip a coin here. :D

3 hours ago, Androdion said:

Well, with that build both should work fine. Hafted will make stun proc with Jab, but on the other hand faster attack speed bonus from Sword should proc Jab even further. I think you can basically flip a coin here. :D

Exactly my reason why I wasn't sure about it :D Stun will be nice on Jab, but faster Jab procs = faster killing. Probably I'll stick to swords :D 

I think you guys are a bit misinformed on Deathly Spears.

Deathly Spears is a spell, not a weapon attack. It doesn't carry weapon procs and its damage is in no way based on your weapon. As far as I remember the only thing your weapon choice influences is the speed of the initial attack animation that doesn't really matter all that much on a spell like Deathly Spears as long as its not horrendously slow.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Little Faith said:

I think you guys are a bit misinformed on Deathly Spears.

Deathly Spears is a spell, not a weapon attack. It doesn't carry weapon procs and its damage is in no way based on your weapon. As far as I remember the only thing your weapon choice influences is the speed of the initial attack animation that doesn't really matter all that much on a spell like Deathly Spears as long as its not horrendously slow.

The Spears combat arts always confused me to be honest. The Wikipedia page says, "Deathly Spears uses weapon attack speed. Even though the weapon itself isn't used for this CA, higher weapon speed = faster execution of Deathly Spears. Therefore, taking a weapon lore skill is important to maximize the potential of Deathly Spears". I don't know if this applies only to the animation before the Spears actually strike for the first time or all animations of all procs from the Jab modifier. 

1 hour ago, RavenLight said:

I don't know if this applies only to the animation before the Spears actually strike for the first time or all animations of all procs from the Jab modifier. 

Just the first one, because that's the only one that uses a casting animation.

22 minutes ago, chattius said:

I think most important for a Deadly Spear build is to remove the battery...

Does the battery has some weird interaction with the Spears or what's the case? I'm trying to take all the tips possible because Temple Guardian is the most "tricky" character in the game (at least from my perspective)

The normal way to play a deadly spear TG is to have both mouse buttons pressed and using a melee weapon with RegPerHit to recharge the spears. If you have a battery and stand away from your target you will shoot with your battery and the spears hit nothing. Without a battery you will run for a melee hit and opponents are in range.

2 minutes ago, chattius said:

The normal way to play a deadly spear TG is to have both mouse buttons pressed and using a melee weapon with RegPerHit to recharge the spears. If you have a battery and stand away from your target you will shoot with your battery and the spears hit nothing. Without a battery you will run for a melee hit and opponents are in range.

Interesting mechanics. Thanks for the tip, Chattius!

9 hours ago, Little Faith said:

Deathly Spears is a spell, not a weapon attack.

Well, yeah. Spell-based CA. But the OP said he wanted to play a mixed build with DS and a weapon lore, so my indications were according to that.

My last TG was years back. I can't remember anymore how the shooting with the battery was named in spells.txt. I think there was a way to reduce the shooting distance to 0 by editing a file. With editing you didn't had to remove the battery and could use its modifiers and sockets and set bonuses.

11 hours ago, chattius said:

My last TG was years back. I can't remember anymore how the shooting with the battery was named in spells.txt. I think there was a way to reduce the shooting distance to 0 by editing a file. With editing you didn't had to remove the battery and could use its modifiers and sockets and set bonuses.

Thanks! I'll look into it when I'll finally decide to start a new toon. At the moment I'm chilling with a Seraphim toon until I finish my exams since I don't have that much free time.