Discussion regarding the Forum PostingFont

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

This is a discussion regarding our forum font.

I hate it

lol, sorry to be so honest and all and maybe it's this horrible cold and drippy face but I keep looking at this font and realize how little I like it.

Have any of you guys ever looked at the font from the old forum?

Check this out here:

http://z14.invisionfree.com/DarkMatters/in...p?showtopic=690

That's an example of the font that we used to post in at the old forum...and I miss it. I"m a fan of Times New Roman and I always wanted our forum to have a kind of parchment feel to it. So that when you put yer letters on our electronic paper you'd feel that you were jotting into a manuscript.

We have retained the parchment like background as a writing surface within post however, for some reason or another, the times new roman font didn't come with us when we moved to the forum to this larger space.

So...do you guys like the old Times New Roman or not?

And if you don't like it is this font doing us justice?

Do you have a recommendation for another font perhaps?

Should it be darker maybe, with us affixing more "weight" to the type?

Any and all ideas much appreciated.

Ty

:4rofl:

gogo

I guess it's about time the font on the forum got some attention. Defintely agree that something needs to be done with it. Earlier today we noticed that IE7 was interpreting fonts much better than Firefox and just now I adjusted the CSS so that Firefox displays font the same as IE7. Also. I changed the default font throughout the forum from Verdena to Georgia. I've been researching typography for several months now on and off and each time I run searches I come across the same conclusion. That Georgia is the best choice for web pages. Granted, it certainly isn't the most elaborate font but the important aspect to consider here is not aesthetics but efficency. How well is a font read?

Given that the topic has been brought up I've once again run a typography search regarding screen media and here's what I came across first:

Best Fonts for the Web

My personal opinion is that I really don't like Times/Times New Roman. I think it is an amazing font but just not for the web. A font like Times is very much dependent on anti-aliasing of which browsers do not perform.

Palatino Linotype on the other hand could be a great substitute for Times. I've experimented with the font in photoshop as well as on the web and find it to be an agreeable font.

Lucida Console is another font that I think could do well here.

Looking at the changes I've made I find it a bit hard to handle. Suddenly all the text is right there in my face but I'll take a few days and see if I can adjust. For the time being folks, if you are able, I'd like to ask that you hold off on posting immediate reactions and see if you are also able to adjust.

Thanx muchly. :)

I will give you the truth. As soon as I came to the forum I got that the font has been changed but it was not the type of it that cot my eye it was the size. The way it is set up at the moment it hurts my eyes to read. It is simply to small. You have to make it a bigger a bit by defalt. As for the stile I like it.

P.S.:If you are not sure about it we can make a poll with several fonts to see what type we should go for.

J'deteste le "Times New Roman"02.gif

This font is quite nice could be bigger though< very Sacredy its Carolinga, should be much bigger though

Maybe this

:)

~Doom

Now it is to big. Sorry to say it again. I am talking about the one that is in the main page under the main name of every area the words that explain what is in the area.

Something in the middle betwen what was and now is. If there is that size. :)

Guest gogoblender

lol, boy I sher didn't expect so much to come out of a bad-mooded, runny-nose encrusted comment ;)

Ty Schot fer puttin all the work into this, though my eyes have gone all water from number of font changes we've had in one day.

Loox like we're zeroin on the one that's gonna be perfect...

Not much longer...just...pass me a tissue someone?

;)

gogo

Gee Katran... You're so hard to satisfy! lol :4rofl:

I did as you suggested and I think it's a definite improvement there. Thanx! ;)

Here are some examples of the fonts available for the forum to use:

Arial

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page when looking at its layout. The point of using Lorem Ipsum is that it has a more-or-less normal distribution of letters, as opposed to using 'Content here, content here', making it look like readable English. Many desktop publishing packages and web page editors now use Lorem Ipsum as their default model text, and a search for 'lorem ipsum' will uncover many web sites still in their infancy. Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).

Georgia

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page when looking at its layout. The point of using Lorem Ipsum is that it has a more-or-less normal distribution of letters, as opposed to using 'Content here, content here', making it look like readable English. Many desktop publishing packages and web page editors now use Lorem Ipsum as their default model text, and a search for 'lorem ipsum' will uncover many web sites still in their infancy. Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).

Lucida Console

Palatino Linotype

Times New Roman

Trebuchet Ms

Verdana

So there's some fonts to wrap your head around for a while guys. ;)

I don't care about the font as long as I can read what it is written. I suggest the font color should be changed or the background color be changed too so that one can read...uh.. I have no time to highlight every paragraph to read what it's written ;)

Ok... this is weird. when I first read this post everything is pitch black....but now I can see what people are writing :4rofl:

Sorry to make so much trouble for you guys, :4rofl: but I do think that the font and the way it is used is very important. People cant get what makes some forums and pages better then others and it offen is the write font and its size. If it is the write way it makes it a lot more nice to look at and a person wants to spend a lot more time on the page.

hkboi20 is allsaw right we need to test out what colors work for what font.

P.S.: I like Verdana and Arial

Guest gogoblender

I agree with you completely Katran. I"m a firm believer in the power of a good font, background, text weight and all of the other wonders that make a posting experience on a forum a good one. We're working hard on trying to find the best mix of fonts and every member of our community's opinion is important.

There is a quite a difference between just "settling" for a font and really trying hard to find one that can mirror and give more spirit to a community's personality.

Search goes on

gogo

I've always been a fan of arial, but hehe as you can imagine I've got a huge fondness for carolinga too (probably not the best thing for a forum though *sigh*). After Arial I'd say Veranda, and after that I like Trebuchet Ms and Palatino Linotype equally well.

Well oddly enough, for the Verdena lovers here, Verdana is what the forum was using as default before experimentation began. At first I thought it was strange that Verdana was the default when I checked earlier today because I've known for a while now that Georgia is the most widely accepted #1 web font. I thought for sure that I would have somehow snuck the Georgia font in as default by now. It just hit me though... Me and gogo actaully chose that font specifically one day long ago, (not sure if you remember or not gogo). When we moved here from the old forum there were a number of choices we needed to make. One of them was the default font and to aid us in this choice we used our forum mentor the SIF. The SIF just so happens to use Verdana as their default font and we saw that it seemed to work well there so we decided to use it here as well. Though I think we were never completely satisfied.

Colouring and background make a huge impact on how good a font looks. Very good points as well as important. I'll do a bit of testing with these points in mind.

In the meantime I suggest folks try out the TrueType suggestion I made earlier today. :D

Windows XP ClearType