Torchlight 3 early access hits Steam

I always loved this franchise's slant on the arpg.. .cartoony characters, insane CA's (ha, still use that word :P) and beautiful ingame game timing... trailer is looking sharp

:)

gogo

• Like! 1
15 hours ago, pevil said:

Oooh! I loved the first 1, haven't tried 2. Might have to keep an eye on this.

Pevil I actually remember my first attempt with this game playing with a few people from the SIF when we were on the servers... the game just dropped me with its online play marvelous sounds back then

:)

gogo

I enjoyed both TL1 and TL2, though I only played through the campaign for each one once. I didn't feel there was a whole lot of replay value.  I'd describe the games as solid but not addictive in the way of some other ARPG's.  I have no doubt I'll be picking up TL3 at some point though.

Very true though @Flix I might just pick this one up when it goes on sale. Still have to look into it, really. 
There are still too many games I haven't played on my Steam account... Plus I still have the Nathan Drake series somewhere which I *also* haven't touched yet. 

Edited by Timotheus
  • 4 weeks later...

I played the first two once each, but never felt the need to go back to either. I preferred the debut. I did buy the 3rd one though, hopefully it'll be better. It has a long way to go though, judging from what I've seen in early access though.

• 1 month later...

Sacred3, Diablo3, Torchlight3

aller guten Dinge sind drei

“Of all good things there are three”

But that only means that the first two were good and so they tried a third, far less good but hopefully preventing an even worse 4.

#3 is very streamlined/simplified compared to the first 2 (and those two weren't exactly Path of Exile). Stats are gone, skilltrees are a lot smaller, etc. On the plus side, the game is still fun. Its just really simple.

I have mixed feelings on what they did to the fame system. In the first 2, leveling fame made the game more fun in between leveling (don't underestimate how much more fun it adds getting extra skillpoints dropped here and there). Now with each fame level, you get a random reward - can be crafting ingredients, items, etc. Its not bad or anything, I just prefer the old system.

Relics is just another skill-tree now. The Legendarium gives you 3 extra skills from breaking down legendary items. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be that many legendaries in the game compared to say... Grim Dawn.

Now they said they're going to add more content post-release, but if the prospect of a very simple/streamlined action RPG seems unappealing, I'd probably give it a miss. Its still fun and I don't really regret dropping money on it though. Its a good break from some of the more complicated ARPGs out there. Bear in mind I avoided Diablo 3.

• Thanks! 1
  • 4 months later...