How to hide the seraphim's wings

RetsReds

Hi, darkmatterers!

I thought I'd try a new seraphim and I got to thinking - is there a way to hide items from appearing? Most arpgs offer a toggle to hide the helmet but here I was wondering about the seraphim's wings. Is there something in the files I can "turn off" or would I have to remove the visual model of each type of wings separately? Either way, any tips would be appreciated, thanks! 

Edit: I see there's a "no wings" mod here (http://www.wolflore.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=2642). It says it's for the US demo version of Sacred 2:Fallen Angel. I'm guessing it wouldn't work with I&B + the Community patch, however... Any idea how I can do something similar with I&B and the patch? I wouldn't mind doing some grunt work myself if each model needs to be edited separately, I just don't know what to do exactly. 

Edited by RetsReds

Is there no trick to do this? Instead of swapping their visual models with one another to just use "no model"? Or, can I create a new item model with no visual representation and just copy/paste that model to the wings I'm using?

Hmmm.... try this:

First find all wing itemtype entries in itemtype.txt.  These will be each entry with the subfamily    = "SUBFAM_ARMOR_WINGS",

Now replace the "name" line for each one with:

name         = "models/objects/misc/r_empty.GR2",

That should switch every wing model with a blank one.  Haven't tested it though.

This should work immediately and retroactively to all previously dropped wings, so you should be able to see right away if it worked.

spacer.png

:D

Edit: Tried removing the "surface" lines too (between name and user) and nothing changes. If you have any other suggestions I wouldn't mind testing them. If not - oh well... :)

It's funny how it's to the side and not in the middle of her back. And the default "stubs" aren't visible either which is good at least. :D

Edited by RetsReds
  • Haha 1

Now that I see that empty cube, allow me a bit of off-topic. @Flix In D2F, in the Wastelands near Ventor I believe there's such an occurrence. Next time I go through there I'll see if I can catch a glimpse at what mob type it is via last opponent screen.

Ah that's the placeholder used when a model is missing or undefined then.  :3lmao:  Well in principle it should work, if you can find an actually empty/invisible model to use.

@AndrodionI know what's causing that and I thought I'd got them all.  Each of those soldiers in the Wastelands are hand-placed with the sector editor and I botched a few of them. If you could show me the spot on the mini-map where one appears I should be able to fix it.

50 minutes ago, Flix said:

Ah that's the placeholder used when a model is missing or undefined then.  :3lmao:  Well in principle it should work, if you can find an actually empty/invisible model to use.

I see. Well, I might try later this week when I'm done with most of my work... I'm assuming that the models are somewhere in the graphics archives in the .pak folder and I'll just have to create an invisible wings model and swap it with the originals. 

Can't we just turn off / remove the placeholder? Or will it change with an empty pyramid or sphere then? :D

Edited by RetsReds
1 hour ago, Flix said:

@AndrodionI know what's causing that and I thought I'd got them all.  Each of those soldiers in the Wastelands are hand-placed with the sector editor and I botched a few of them. If you could show me the spot on the mini-map where one appears I should be able to fix it.

Will do. I'm at the Swamp in Normal, so when I get there I'll let you know.

Looks like that mod on Wolf's Lore replaced all the textures with invisible ones.  Recreating this method should work fine, just takes some effort to track down all the files and then name/package the replacements.

No, there's no switch to make wings invisible.  It's easy enough to just disable the equipslot in creatureinfo.txt though, if you don't want to use them at all.

• Thanks! 1
33 minutes ago, Flix said:

Looks like that mod on Wolf's Lore replaced all the textures with invisible ones.  Recreating this method should work fine, just takes some effort to track down all the files and then name/package the replacements.

No, there's no switch to make wings invisible.  It's easy enough to just disable the equipslot in creatureinfo.txt though, if you don't want to use them at all.

Well, disabling equipslot would leave the default wing stumps/handles/whatevers visible, right? That'd be no good. Plus, most wings have awesome stats. :)

I'll take a look at Wolf's mod later this week. If there is an "invisible" texture sample already created that should make things easier. That'd be my first attempt at something like this but if I struggle with something, I'll ask.

Btw, I haven't said it much (or at all) but thanks for all the help on the various such annoying little questions I've had here. Between the community patch and your help, this game has given me almost 2k hours of fun where I'd have otherwise likely stopped after 200-300. :)

1 hour ago, RetsReds said:

Well, disabling equipslot would leave the default wing stumps/handles/whatevers visible, right?

Nope.  It wouldn't allow any wings at all.  Or you could always just remove the fallback equipment, also defined in creatureinfo.txt

eq_fallback = { 4357, 4358, 4359 },

Just delete those numbers in there to remove the fallback equipment.  The wings are 4357.

Fleet's mod seems to be down, so I couldn't check for sure, but judging by the folders included ("mq") he's editing textures.  It's the same dude who makes the undressed skins and he said recently his site was having trouble.  You may want to ask @fleet about it himself.

• Thanks! 1

There is an Invisible Wings For The Seraphim mod made by Fleet, here at Wolflore. However, they are having both upload and download issues just now. Normally, one would just just sign up for a free membership and download it. As Flix mentioned, you might contact Fleet; I suggest PMing him at Wolflore and see if the file is available elsewhere.

:agreed:

1 minute ago, Hooyaah said:

There is an Invisible Wings For The Seraphim mod made by Fleet, here at Wolflore. Just sign up for a free membership.

:JC_hurrah:

That's the same mod we were discussing above.  So you're saying the reason the download link doesn't work is because we haven't signed up for the site?

For some reason, the site will not deliver or accept files right now, membership or not. I found out trying to upload new copies of the "unclothed" female player characters mod. I also tested to see if I could download the invisible wings mod, yet alas to no avail.

Yeah, I vaguely recall Fleet mentioning recently in his thread that he was having issues with his website.  I have a pretty good idea of what he did in that mod, would just take some work to recreate it.

2 hours ago, Flix said:

Yeah, I vaguely recall Fleet mentioning recently in his thread that he was having issues with his website.  I have a pretty good idea of what he did in that mod, would just take some work to recreate it.

I wouldn't mind doing the grunt work if someone could give me some pointers (I'm generally a newb at this). If I'm the only one looking for such a mod it's weird for you or someone else to do all that work just for me. Ideally, that mod would be operational but it says that it's for the demo U,S. version which leads me to think it won't work on I&B + the patch.

Anyway, I haven't PMed Fleet or tried anything else myself yet cause I'm not done with my work week yet. I'll probably ask him for tips over the weekend. 

Just now, RetsReds said:

it says that it's for the demo U,S. version which leads me to think it won't work on I&B + the patch.

Oh I'm sure it would work for some of the wings, but not for any textures added with later patches/expansions/community patch/mods.

I'm thinking all you need to do is replace all the wing textures with blank (transparent) ones.  Textures are in the graphics.zip file in the pak folder.  If you maintain the folder structure and file names you can overwrite them with loose folders without having to re-pack the zip files.

2 hours ago, Flix said:

Oh I'm sure it would work for some of the wings, but not for any textures added with later patches/expansions/community patch/mods.

I'm thinking all you need to do is replace all the wing textures with blank (transparent) ones.  Textures are in the graphics.zip file in the pak folder.  If you maintain the folder structure and file names you can overwrite them with loose folders without having to re-pack the zip files.

Mhm. So all I need is the transparent texture. I'll ask Fleet over the weekend. 

Let's start simple, with the fallback equipment.  Go into this directory of the game's install folder:

pak\graphics02.zip\mq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default

Now start looking for any all textures with "wing" in the name. 

• c_sera-default-wings_d.dds
  • c_sera-default-wings_n.dds
  • c_sera-default-wings_sg.dds

You will copy that file name and rename copies of that blank texture file so they have the same names as above.

Then recreate that folder structure in your pak folder like so (skipping the zip file name):

pak\mq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default

And place your renamed blank files in that folder.  Test it in game.

This will be for the default texture quality setting.  For the Elite textures, change "mq" above to "hq".  For the low-res textures you would change to "lq".

If you are successful, you can then continue to look in graphics02.zip for the other wing textures and folder locations, and repeat the process, rendering all wings invisible.

Changed the mq and lq folders in zips 2 and 4. The default wings are now in fiery black and orange colors (medium game settings). But I don't think there's an hq folder with default seraphim skins in any zip - there are several hq folders here and there with skins but not with default ones. Am I supposed to create a default seraphim skins folder in one (any?) of the hq folders and dump files it in?

Also, for the other wing models - there are an awful lot of suffixed for wings such as _dx, _no, etc. There are also -var1/2/3_d, and -var_sg, etc - should I ignore those? That's what tripped me up the first time.

I was thinking - wouldn't it easier to make one set of wings transparent and then change all other wings to them from the itemtype.txt file? Like you showed me with the Smoke demon shield a while back? 

Edit: Ok, I think I got what you mean - I'm supposed to create entirely new folder structures in the pak folder outside of the zips and not just replace the files inside the zips?

So, I made three identical folder structures outside of the zips:

pak\hq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default

pak\lq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default

pak\mq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default

And I placed the transparent c_sera-default-wings_d.dds, c_sera-default-wings_n.dds and c_sera-default-wings_sg.dds files in each one. However, the default wings are still in a fiery orage/black color. I haven't deleted the files inside the zips, should I? Also, I don't know if me not finding a hq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default structure inside any of the zips is meaningful. 

Edited by RetsReds
On 6/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, Flix said:

If you could show me the spot on the mini-map where one appears I should be able to fix it.

Here it is. Actually it wasn't near Ventor but rather in the passageway beneath the bridge next to Windstone Fortress (Leap Attack brought me there).

20200628021722_1.thumb.jpg.caec504d4bd68be50371c6fd30f2af84.jpg   20200628021707_1.thumb.jpg.f3ead2b411f7a2321fc68caf30656bc0.jpg   20200628021658_1.thumb.jpg.fbc674913c9bcfdb6772d5f54c5cacdb.jpg   

On 6/26/2020 at 5:11 PM, RetsReds said:

And I placed the transparent c_sera-default-wings_d.dds, c_sera-default-wings_n.dds and c_sera-default-wings_sg.dds files in each one. However, the default wings are still in a fiery orage/black color. I haven't deleted the files inside the zips, should I? Also, I don't know if me not finding a hq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default structure inside any of the zips is meaningful. 

Take a picture please.  It may be that texture I gave you is just wonky.

wouldn't it easier to make one set of wings transparent and then change all other wings to them from the itemtype.txt file?

Could be, yeah.  You'd have to hunt down all itemtype entries for wings, change the model defined, and clear out any surface entries defined for it.

there are an awful lot of suffixed for wings such as _dx, _no, etc. There are also -var1/2/3_d, and -var_sg, etc - should I ignore those? 

Every model is going to have at least three textures defined, and every model also has 3-4 variations.  Yes, that's a lot of textures, that's why this project is a PITA.  :3lmao:

I'm supposed to create entirely new folder structures in the pak folder outside of the zips and not just replace the files inside the zips?

Yes.

I haven't deleted the files inside the zips, should I?

Never do this.

Also, I don't know if me not finding a hq\maps\heroes\seraphim\default structure inside any of the zips is meaningful. 

HQ wing textures are in graphics20-24.  If you don't have those then you don't have elite textures installed and it shouldn't matter anyway.

49 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Here it is. Actually it wasn't near Ventor but rather in the passageway beneath the bridge next to Windstone Fortress (Leap Attack brought me there).

Thanks.