Microsoft Windows Vista

fRACTAL

Surely there's no 16 bit vista :drool: lol

Vista comes in two flavours: 32bit ('older' version) 64bit ('newer' version)

32bit versions will not recognise 4gb RAM correctly, 64bit will.

64 does have some compatability issues with software, be sure to check whether everything will run OK when you want to go 64bit.

4gb ram and vista 64bit will have you run everything. :heat:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there's no 16 bit vista :) lol

Vista comes in two flavours: 32bit ('older' version) 64bit ('newer' version)

32bit versions will not recognise 4gb RAM correctly, 64bit will.

64 does have some compatability issues with software, be sure to check whether everything will run OK when you want to go 64bit.

4gb ram and vista 64bit will have you run everything. :)

Ok, so the big final words: 4GB ram and vista 64bit. :) I'll get that somehow then. If it's possible yet. Maybe we haven't told what we need...so...

hopefully we can edit list yet.

Since Microsoft stopped selling XP officially, and I think the support is now end of line for XP looks like you're 'forcewared' into Vista. So sad for you. :)

That is sad.. I wouldn't trade my Xp Pro to Vista even if Microsoft would pay me to use it.

Maybe the next OS for me is some version of Linux whit support of windows games.. that would really be great. I don't believe that any game developer starts to do Vista only games, so Xp will work fine still long time. Or who knows. Then it's just time get rid of PC and start gaming on a PS1-2-3 and maybe in the future version 4.

Edited by Obsession

XP is now End Of Life (EOL). If you want to install XP on your PC upon purchase you will have to pay to downgrade and pay for XP (on top of paying for Vista).

I wish that Linux ran games better, I'd probably switch to it entirely rather than still boot Vista for gaming (and a few chat programs and such that won't run in Linux except 'perhaps' under Wine... and not all that well from what I've read).

XP is now End Of Life (EOL). If you want to install XP on your PC upon purchase you will have to pay to downgrade and pay for XP (on top of paying for Vista).

Or buy a second-hand one XP (from someone "updating" to Vista) cheaper and install it and sell the vista for the same price what you paid of xp or you can get even more money from it?

Problem there being that their XP will be activated and linked to the Vista, or some other issue, of course there are ways around this problem as well, but... it could be inconvenient.

As to compatibility... I can't say I've found many programs that work in XP but not Vista, simply because of compatibility modes... yes they exist but at worst google them and find out, I'm sure someone has tested em.

Of course Windows 7 is due out fairly soon relatively speaking... so there's always that option in the future... who knows, people are comparing Vista to ME... only time will tell.

• 3 months later...

vista-1-301106.jpg

Kernel vulnerability found in Vista

A flaw in Vista's networking has been found that can crash the system, but no fix is expected until the next service pack

A flaw has been found in Windows Vista that could allow rootkits to be hidden or denial-of-service attacks to be executed on computers using the operating system.

The vulnerability was found by Thomas Unterleitner of Austrian security company Phion and was announced Friday. Unterleitner told ZDNet UK on Friday that Phion told Microsoft about the flaw in October but that he understood a fix would only be issued in the next Vista service pack.

According to Unterleitner's disclosure of the flaw, the issue lies in the network input/output subsystem of Vista. Certain requests sent to the iphlpapi.dll API can cause a buffer overflow that corrupts the Vista kernel memory, resulting in a blue-screen-of-death crash.

"This buffer overflow could (also) be exploited to inject code, hence compromising client security," Unterleitner said.

Unterleitner told ZDNet UK via e-mail that the "exploit can be used to turn off the computer using a (denial-of-service) attack." He also suggested that, because the exploit occurs in the Netio.sys component of Vista, it may make it possible to hide rootkits.

Using a sample program, Unterleitner and his colleagues ascertained that Vista Enterprise and Vista Ultimate were definitely affected by the flaw, with other versions of Microsoft's operating system "very likely" to be affected as well. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are vulnerable. Windows XP is not affected.

Asked about the severity of the flaw, Unterleitner pointed out that administrative rights were needed to execute a program calling the function that would cause the buffer overflow. However, he also said it was possible--but not yet confirmed--that someone could use a malformed DHCP packet to "take advantage of the exploit without administrative rights."

"We have worked together with Microsoft Security Response Center in Redmond since October 2008 to locate, classify and fix this bug," Unterleitner wrote. "Microsoft will ship a fix for this exploit with the next Vista service pack."

Microsoft told ZDNet UK on Friday that it had investigated the issue, but was "currently unaware of any attacks trying to use the vulnerability or of customer impact." It could not, however, confirm the inclusion of a fix for the problem in the next as-yet-unreleased service pack for Vista, nor give the release date for that service pack.

I'm thinking of "upgrading" to Vista, solely due to Jonny (damn you! I feel so dirty now!). He's got a very similar pc to mine (same GFX card, he's got a Q9400 cpu, I've got an E8500, he's got 4gig of ram due to Vista & I've only got 2 Gig), but he get's significantly higher FPS in Sacred 2 (double) than I do.

So, my question is, how much of Vista can be turned off to reduce it's own use of system resources (thus maximising what's left for Sacred 2)?

Disabling the Aero interface definitely will help your gaming experience. That's one if not THE major resource hog in Vista.

But you will really need the extra RAM, for gaming, 2GB won't cut it on Vista.

I know 501105 went max on Fallout3: it used up 3,5 GB of RAM (as in: all that was left...)

I think Sacred will have similar problems, try monitoring your RAM during a gaming session. :P

Edited by Timotheus

Did a little comparrison of on my Dual boot system Llama and it's looking like there really isn't any difference between XP and Vista. At least not on my system. In XP, highest game settings, while running through Sloeford I get an fps of 41. It's the same in Vista with the Aero style turned off. At the moment in Vista I have Sacred 2 running in one screen and posting this on another screen and the amount of ram being used is 2.15GB. Not very high at all so 4GB of ram will fix you up nicely whether your in XP or Vista. In fact since you presently have 2GB of ram I'm inclined to believe that getting 4GB in XP will make a world of difference. I'd suggest only upgrading the ram first and see what that does for you. :(

Did a little comparrison of on my Dual boot system Llama and it's looking like there really isn't any difference between XP and Vista. At least not on my system. In XP, highest game settings, while running through Sloeford I get an fps of 41. It's the same in Vista with the Aero style turned off. At the moment in Vista I have Sacred 2 running in one screen and posting this on another screen and the amount of ram being used is 2.15GB. Not very high at all so 4GB of ram will fix you up nicely whether your in XP or Vista. In fact since you presently have 2GB of ram I'm inclined to believe that getting 4GB in XP will make a world of difference. I'd suggest only upgrading the ram first and see what that does for you. :(

I dont notice a huge hit going from Vista to XP I think it depends on how taxed for system currently is. If you arent getting max fps then going to vista will hamper it a bit, but if you get a constant say 60FPS no matter what you wont drop much going to vista.

I use vista and get a constant 65-90 FPS @ 1920x1200 set to high detail. I've also yet to have a crash either,

My friend on XP gets about 30FPS with almost identical system with just different video card.

For my system I've got:

Dual Boot Vista Home Pre 64 and XP Pro

Mobo: MSI P35 Platinum Combo

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz

8GB Kingston RAM DDR2 (ignore the # 8. It's really not needed. Waste of money for most people I think. 4 is enough.)

ATI 4850 512MB

SB Audigy 2 ZS

5.1 Speakers

Monitor Viewsonic G90fb

Samsung SyncMaster

Strange thing is that for a while I was getting between 80-100+ fps but for some reason I can't get that anymore. Not sure if it was a patch or a new driver that brought my results down. Time to tweak again I guess...

What's the difference betwene XP Pro & XP Home (what I've got)?

Pro features that aren't in Home Edition

Remote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP--including Home Edition--support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.

Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one. (when that is said my XP Pro shows all 4 cores in my Q6600 "as shows in picture under")

Automated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes. But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan.

Dynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.

Fax - Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.

Internet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition does not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro.

Encrypting File System - Windows XP Professional supports the Encrypting File System (EFS), which allows you encrypt individual files or folders for local security (EFS is not enabled over a network). EFS-protected files and folders allows users to protect sensitive documents from other users.

File-level access control - Any user with Administrator privileges can limit access to certain network resources, such as servers, directories, and files, using access control lists. Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly because this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy Objects, which are also not available in Home Edition.

"C2" certification - Microsoft will attempt to have Windows XP Professional certified with the "C2" security designation, a largely irrelevant status, but one which will not be afforded to Home Edition.

Domain membership - Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain. For obvious reasons, the Domain Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.

Group Policy - Since Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain, Group Policy--whereby applications, network resources, and operating systems are administered for domain users--is not supported either.

IntelliMirror - Microsoft lumps a wide range of semi-related change and configuration management technologies under the IntelliMirror umbrella, and none of these features are supported in the consumer oriented Home Edition. IntelliMirror capabilities include user data management; centrally-managed software installation, repair, updating, and removal; user settings management; and Remote Installation Services (RIS), which allows administrators to remotely install the OS on client systems.

Roaming profiles - This feature allows users to logon to any computer in an Active Directory network and automatically receive their customized settings. It is not available in Home Edition, which cannot logon to an Active Directory domain.

Multi-language support - Only Windows XP Professional will ship in a Multi-Language version or support multiple languages in a single install.

Sysprep support - Windows XP Pro will support the System Preparation (Sysprep) utility, while Home Edition will not.

RIS support - See the IntelliMirror heading in the previous section; Home Edition does not support RIS deployments.

Following features also missing from Home Version:

64-bit version

The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)

SNMP

Simple TCP/IP services

SAP Agent

Client Service for NetWare

Network Monitor

Multiple Roaming feature

the one thing I really hate about home ed is that you cant format the HD / Partition under installation

noiseninjara2.gif

well 64 bit in general supports more ram then 32 bit Max "ish" with 32 bit is 3,3 GB (thats the most I have see used on a 32 bit system anyway)

as for 64 bits well the new MB Epox "just" ordere supports 16 GB so.....

• 5 weeks later...