Microsoft Windows Vista

fRACTAL

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I plan to avoid Vista like the plague thank-you very much. :4rofl:

Most of what I have come to learn about Vista is just bad news after bad news. From being a major resource hog to its seriously debilitating copyright "protections" it is nothing short of a gamers nightmare OS. Linux is looking better and better.

Not only that, I can't remember specifics but I believe I read that Vista is the beginning of OS dictating pc hardware setups. Be on the lookout folks. It looks like a war is brewing between Microsoft and the open source community...

Guest gogoblender

C'mon guys...ya know it's coming...

lol, and like the release of everyhting else that microsoft has released of course it's super plagued by bugs...at least at the beginning.

I look at this like the lesser of two evils.

*shudder*

:4rofl:

gogo

I always wait a year before I switch os. MS announced that sp1 for vista will be released in desember 2007. However most likely it will be delayed as usual. Im going for vista with sp1 integrated. The prices would have dropped some too I bet. Check out the price on vista ultimate edition (non oem), it cost almost twice as much as windows xp pro (non oem).

Also I wanna see how drm implementations pester people during that waiting time. Ih. what are just stories and what is the REAL deal will become clear. Im also not particular comfortable with the lisence requirements on oem versions; how it is locked to only one machine hardware id (motherboard) for an eternity. Atleast in my country people are already growling at it .. ponder what EU or the rest of the world will say :4rofl:

I am using vista for a while on my second partition and I am kind of pleased on most things. If you have a power computer vista rocks. It is so fast. I couldn't crash the operation system yet (I didn't really push the limits so far but hey! it didn't took me so long to crash xp when it was his first days). If you have a normal pc which one it is so far so good with xp, don't even think about to upgrade the vista. Vista eats memory and resources a lot. To many animations and 3d views all over (possible the disable but...)

There is hardware driver problems with vista. I have integrated tv card with my graphic card which one I can not use because of the software and the drivers are not released yet. Most of the drivers installed with the installation it self.

There is also compatible program problems. Some of your old programs might not work with vista. You need the download a patch or buy a never version if available.

These are my very quick five cents on the topic so far.

Because of my wife likes to use xp, I didn't have a lots of chance to play with vista yet.

Change the OS. That is a big No,No for me. I only do that once the new OS is 2-3 years old and even then I go down kicking and screaming. The only thing that will make me upgread is if programs stoped working on the one that I am runing and since there is no chance in that happening I am safe. LOL

I have never been a fan of the new OS's when they come out and they start telling you that you have Hardware that you dont have on your PC. I can remember when I made a mistake to install windows98 when it came out and it started to tell me that I have no printer but in the same time told me that I have a beautifull Joystick that I didnt know I had LOL.

P.S.: BHJ you are really starting to like this smiliy whathesaid.gif:4rofl:

so if there is anyone out there "that just cant wait to get the new windows installed" as soon as you can buy it plz take the time to surf through a few links :D

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Link 6

a funny thing is that vista might very well be illegal if we are to listen to the European Commission (ECIS) and I guess we haveto do that so...

I am one of those early installers. I always have been. I read the warnings and study manuals and research the heck out of it. But when I get something in my hot hands I have to install.

First of all let me give my my system specs. Socket A Athlon 1.1 ghz

512 MB PC2700

32 mb Asus V7100

Gigabyte 7Ns400sl.......

Those are the important ones there

So of course I'm running Vista Home Basic. I looked at the comparisons and this version has everything I need and I am always free to upgrade when I upgrade my system.

So how is it running? Well everything seems to be running at the same speed as Windows XP Home and I am running with all the bells and whistles enabled. The sidebar tends to bog the system down slightly; the only reason I noticed is because I had the CPU meter running on the side bar. Even hovering the cursor over the sidebar causes the CPU usage to spike.

Sacred: When I ran Windows XP Pro sacred ran fine. But I'm ashamed to admit that my copy of XP pro was not exactly.....well you know. This year I decided to get rid of all of my questionable software and purchase them. Windows was first. Because of financial concerns I opted for XP Home. Ever since Home was installed the intro for sacred was very choppy:video and sound. The game ran fine after that though.

With Vista sacred starts smoth as silk...as long as the sidebar is not running. But I can't play online any more. Real shame about that because Zinsho(sp?) told me last night that gogo was starting to play again.

So to sum it all up...

Looks great and will run great after three upgrades:CPU, RAM, Video card. :P

Can't play Sacred HC for awhile. :(

How I feel for installing it, knowing that I would not be able to play Sacred and doing it anyway. :woot:

Eagerly awaiting the release of Sacred 2 :yay:

PS. I've spent the past three hours running back and forth across my neighborhood with a big mallet. I've been wacking anyone outside, but so far my drops have been crappy. I guess my survival bonus is not high enough.

Guest gogoblender

haha, yeah Sil I was on last night and actually a bit today...man, word travels fast huh?

Those servers are awesome and teh community so friendly...I totally miss em and like you am really excited to start playin Sacred 2.

And, k glad that vista is workin out nicely, but., im' sorry here but...I dont understand yer post...

yer saying that since you got vista...you can't get online?

While when you had yer xp...you WERE able to get online?

I don't understand...

Why is this happening?

Why is Vista stopping you from playing hc?

eek

dude...

This is calamitous...

yer worrying me

:D

gogo

This is more a reflection on the stupidity on Digital rights management on music bought online.....

Vista's firewall on the other hand pisses me off.. you think your safe but your not, fake sence of security is worse than no security at all >_>

OK - our company's software is not totally bug free... but I mean, we're not Microsoft ! Is this really the best software that the richest guy on the planet can come up with :):3lmao: I'll take the safe route and wait for Windows Vista 2010... :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
:o

You traitors!

Joining the evil armies of microsoft after betraying the open source world! :o

:)

~Doom

hehe well now there is open source updates even to windows vista ;)

nope iam not mad (well not more then usually anyway) :P anyway have a look at the links :)

eeye

betanews

The patch

The Source

Wow. Thanx for the link to Tom's Hardware Yaga. I just read the article on that site that compares XP to Vista.

Unbelievable. Well I suppose Vista will be ok for browsing the net. So long as there aren't too many graphics, lol. Seriously though. I do a fair bit of 2D and some 3D graphics which means Vista is a big fat NO WAY for me. Judging by the comparisons made in the article there doesn't seem to be a single reason to motivate a professional, or aspiring professional, to make the switch to Vista. Frankly, It's difficult to imagine that they will be able to improve Vista to a point where it will out-perform XP. Naturally a 3D interface such as Vista is much easier for a new user to adapt to but is it really necessary? Mmmmm, don't think so. Looks like hard times ahead for Microsoft...

@bhj

What?! lol That can't be for real... Well. On this flip side. Things are looking very good for XP. If the open source community ever got their hands into XP it would be the most rocking OS ever. Progress made within the open source community is surely unmatched by any corp.

@bhj

What?! lol That can't be for real... Well. On this flip side. Things are looking very good for XP. If the open source community ever got their hands into XP it would be the most rocking OS ever. Progress made within the open source community is surely unmatched by any corp.

hehe its for real all right I guess eeye just got tired of waiting on MS to do somthing about the vulnerability ;)

:)

• 3 weeks later...