• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

and a double post as well :4rofl:

vista is on the Top ten terrible tech products list :ninja:

Windows Vista

Any operating system that provokes a campaign for its predecessor's reintroduction deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that quietly has a downgrade-to- previous-edition option introduced for PC makers deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that takes six years of development but is instantly hated by hordes of PC professionals and enthusiasts deserves to be classed as terrible technology.

Windows Vista conforms to all of the above. Its incompatibility with hardware, its obsessive requirement of human interaction to clear security dialogue box warnings and its abusive use of hated DRM, not to mention its general pointlessness as an upgrade, are just some examples of why this expensive operating system earns the final place in our terrible tech list.

link

• 2 months later...

a trippel post :) (dont think I have ever done that before) :D

2246880862_26a23bc7e9_o.jpg

anyway it looks like vista is going to be slower with SP1 installed :D

File copying performance is improved but other gen performance is slower

PcWorld experience is that vista is faster without SP1

link

oooh and sp1 is rtm btw (as you can see from the picture above )

• 2 weeks later...
Microsoft has stopped automatically distributing a prerequisite piece of software for Vista Service Pack 1, following some customer complaints that it had caused system problems.

Servicing stack update KB937287, released last week, contained updates to Windows Vista installation software, and was billed as being "necessary to successfully install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 (Service Pack 1) on all versions of Windows Vista."

Microsoft stopped distributing the update on Wednesday, according to a blog post by Microsoft product manager Nick White.

"We've heard a few reports about problems customers may be experiencing as a result of KB937287," wrote White. "Immediately after receiving reports of this error, we made the decision to temporarily suspend automatic distribution of the update to avoid further customer impact while we investigate possible causes."

Vista SP1 is already available to subscribers to the Microsoft Developer Network but won't receive a formal public release until mid-March.

One irate Windows Vista Ultimate user replied to White's blog post, saying the prerequisite had corrupted a PC and resulted in the need to reformat the hard drive, with the resulting loss of all of the files and programs. When advised by an anonymous contributor of the System Restore option on the Vista installation disc, the Vista Ultimate user replied that the copy of Vista had been purchased and downloaded from the Internet, so there was no disc.

Two users complained that Windows Update prompted them to install the prerequisite, even after they had installed it.

Another user, S Marusic, wrote: "New Dell Inspiron PC stuck on the update loop as well. Any ETA from Microsoft on when/how to fix it? My client has valuable data that I need to consider stripping off the (hard drive) unless a patch/fix comes out soon...Help!"

According to Microsoft's White: "This problem only affects a small number of customers in unique circumstances."

CNet

http://www.news.com/Microsoft-pulls-Vista-...ml?tag=nefd.top

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

icon.jpg

yep you can now get Windows Vista Service Pack 1 32 bit in five language here (434.5 MB)

and 64 bit in english only here (726.5 MB)

the funny thing is that MS is toning down Windows XP SP3 to give vista and SP1 a chance :bow:

the final SP3 will be out first half of april by the looks of things atm :sigh:

oooh and just in case -----> link :lol:

• 1 month later...

btw did you know that windows vista has I backdoor put there by microsoft ?

The COFEE (Computer Online Forensic Evidence Extractor)

it is a USB "thumb drive" that was quietly distributed to a handful of law-enforcement agencies last June. Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith described its use to the 350 law-enforcement experts attending a company conference Monday.

The device contains 150 commands that can dramatically cut the time it takes to gather digital evidence, which is becoming more important in real-world crime, as well as cybercrime. It can decrypt passwords and analyze a computer's Internet activity, as well as data stored in the computer.

It also eliminates the need to seize a computer itself, which typically involves disconnecting from a network, turning off the power and potentially losing data. Instead, the investigator can scan for evidence on site.

More than 2,000 officers in 15 countries, including Poland, the Philippines, Germany, New Zealand and the United States, are using the device, which Microsoft provides free.

"These are things that we invest substantial resources in, but not from the perspective of selling to make money," Smith said in an interview. "We're doing this to help ensure that the Internet stays safe."

Law-enforcement officials from agencies in 35 countries are in Redmond this week to talk about how technology can help fight crime. Microsoft held a similar event in 2006. Discussions there led to the creation of COFEE.

Smith compared the Internet of today to London and other Industrial Revolution cities in the early 1800s. As people flocked from small communities where everyone knew each other, an anonymity emerged in the cities and a rise in crime followed.

The social aspects of Web 2.0 are like "new digital cities," Smith said. Publishers, interested in creating huge audiences to sell advertising, let people participate anonymously.

That's allowing "criminals to infiltrate the community, become part of the conversation and persuade people to part with personal information," Smith said.

Children are particularly at risk to anonymous predators or those with false identities. "Criminals seek to win a child's confidence in cyberspace and meet in real space," Smith cautioned.

Expertise and technology like COFEE are needed to investigate cybercrime, and, increasingly, real-world crimes.

advertising

"So many of our crimes today, just as our lives, involve the Internet and other digital evidence," said Lisa Johnson, who heads the Special Assault Unit in the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

A suspect's online activities can corroborate a crime or dispel an alibi, she said.

The 35 individual law-enforcement agencies in King County, for example, don't have the resources to investigate the explosion of digital evidence they seize, said Johnson, who attended the conference.

"They might even choose not to seize it because they don't know what to do with it," she said. "... We've kind of equated it to asking specific law-enforcement agencies to do their own DNA analysis. You can't possibly do that."

Johnson said the prosecutor's office, the Washington Attorney General's Office and Microsoft are working on a proposal to the Legislature to fund computer forensic crime labs.

Microsoft also got credit for other public-private partnerships around law enforcement.

Jean-Michel Louboutin, Interpol's executive director of police services, said only 10 of 50 African countries have dedicated cybercrime investigative units.

"The digital divide is no exaggeration," he told the conference. "Even in countries with dedicated cybercrime units, expertise is often too scarce."

He credited Microsoft for helping Interpol develop training materials and international databases used to prevent child abuse.

Smith acknowledged Microsoft's efforts are not purely altruistic. It benefits from selling collaboration software and other technology to law-enforcement agencies, just like everybody else, he said.

• 1 month later...

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer -- "if you don't like Vista you can turn it into Windows XP"

Referring to Microsoft licensing policies that allow customers who purchase an operating system to legally install predecessor versions on their PC Ballmer noted that the program allows customers who aren't satisfied with Vista to use XP

so the downgrade options should look like this then :)

downgrade.gif

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

In these day hopefully I'll get finally my new computer. 100% mine wiiiiihihihi.

But only think left to decide: I want Xp or Vista. I'm absolutely fool at these things I ask you! What do you think? xp...vista?

If someone asks me (pls nobody do!) I'd say Xp 'cos I heared about that many error can be found while playing games on vista.

I'm not "adept" in this so...hope you can help. :crazy:

I can only hope that the system requirements will be ok with games like Sacred 2, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed and new games like these. Well Oblivion is not new hehe.

Since Microsoft stopped selling XP officially, and I think the support is now end of line for XP looks like you're 'forcewared' into Vista. So sad for you. :unsure:

Edited by DaveO

If you've got the ram.... Vista dude!

It's probably one of the most enjoyable purchases I've made regarding my comp in the last month. The interface continues to delight me, even a few weeks after installation. I've got 4 gig ram, so windows key tabbling between the three d LIVE windows (yes with movies playing, game playing, forum open... ) is insanely fun and useful.

I didn't have any problems with install, it was tricky learning some stuff for my 64 bit, but the search function, theme, and functionality has been great for me.

So don't hit me...

Go Vista!

:unsure:

gogo

p.s. cool thing is that they're still offering vista or xp here in Montreal...I got the OEM with my comp, and even Schot was so impressed with it's performance, he just installed it last night ;)

Hehe ok so as you said I'll go for Vista. But ...in an other topic I wrote down my cpu's details. Can you check if it will be okey? I have 2GB RAM only though. :unsure:

Hehe there's a boy near where I leave. He was my classmate a few years ago. Now he has 3500 Dollar computer. Crazy!! lol

Just did some reading for you.

In a couple of articles I"ve read, reports are that 2 gigs is more than enough.

This one is particularly good with reports of the guy running a whole bunch of progs at once:

August 13th, 2007

The Vista RAM puzzle: Is 2GB enough?

Posted by Ed Bott @ 11:16 am

A couple weeks ago, my buddy Dwight Silverman asked whether he should be tempted by low, low prices to bump the RAM in his Windows Vista machine from 2GB to 4GB. He asks:

My problem is this: I want the RAM, but do I really need it? I seldom, if ever, use all the memory now in my PC — the RAM gauge I use as part of Yahoo Widgets seldom goes above 65 or 75 percent. I have no performance complaints. (I also use a 2-GB USB flash drive for Vista’s ReadyBoost, which helps.) Would spending $80 to kick my RAM up a single gigabyte to 3 GB be worth it? Would I be better off spending $160 and going to 4 GB?

It’s hard to use 2GB of RAM, even in VistaI’ve got a lot of experience with different PC configurations, and I can say with confidence that 2GB is more than enough for even the most demanding business user. There are two important exception to that rule: If you use one or more virtual machines in the same session, you’ll benefit from as much RAM as you can install, and 2GB probably won’t be enough. You’ll also need (and want) the extra RAM if you run 64–bit Windows Vista, a topic I’ll get to shortly. First, let’s talk about that 2GB configuration.

I’ve used Vista on more than a dozen machines from at least six manufacturers. Currently, my working machines are an Asus Tablet PC and a Dell XPS 410 desktop, both with 2GB of memory. In more than a month of sometimes insanely heavy use with each one, I have never reached a state where either one performed unacceptably because it was gasping for RAM. It’s really, really difficult to use 2GB of RAM with any edition of Windows Vista. At the moment, as you can see from the Task Manager snippet on the right, I’m running 81 processes on this desktop PC, including the following:

* Two instances of Internet Explorer 7 with a total of 40 tabs open (note that this load would have brought the system to its knees if I hadn’t also increased the size of the desktop heap)

* Firefox 2.0.0.6 with five Ajax-heavy tabs in use

* Adobe Acrobat Standard

* Outlook 2007, with a 610MB OST file synching with an Exchange Server about 2000 miles away

* Two remote sessions, one to Windows Home Server (via its own console), the other to Windows Server 2008 (via Remote Desktop).

* OneNote, with 90MB of notebook files open

* Four Windows Sidebar gadgets

* Windows Media Player, connected to a library of 20,000 songs and pictures stored on a Vista-based media server in the living room

* 11 Windows Explorer windows representing local folders, network shares, searches, and bits of the Windows Control Panel like the Installed Programs list, Network and Sharing Center, and Sync Center

* A bunch of useful programs running in the background, including RoboForm, ClipMate, SnagIt, the Windows Home Server Connector, and Windows Live Messenger

* Oh, and I’m composing this in Windows Live Writer

Read more here

Ok well this list looks promising, but...

1st :

You’ll also need (and want) the extra RAM if you run 64–bit Windows Vista, a topic I’ll get to shortly.

So in my case I need more right? Though I don't know what is 64bit Windows Vista exactly.

Other thing no word about games in that topic. So maybe even 1 game can kill it?...

Sorry I'm really fool in these things...but trying to learn hehe

Well...ram's pretty cheap right now...at least here in Montreal. Most sites say that 2 gigs is enough. But, if you've got some extra ice cream money to spend, ram could be a decent bargain.

However, Timo, Yarasa or some others will probably show up soon and have good info for you.

:unsure:

gogo

Ahh well. I could buy more RAM but dad wouldn't let. He would say why? It cost a lot even now. No more RAM. hehe

But if better to get Vista and need more ram to it, I'd probably get some more RAM.

RAM's cheap here too. At least I think it is. Like 20 Dollars.

I too am curious about the amount of RAM needed.

As you pointed out tomi the article that gogo posted did not mention anything about a games.

I have serious doubts that Vista on a gaming machine will be fine with only 2gig. :drool:

I also have my doubts about the whole Vista situation.

This article is what I am referring to.

There is some real merit in the argument that sticking with XP is not a silly thing to do ;)

Games support XP, as do drivers for the hardware.

I dont need a flashy OS.........I do need a pc that plays games though :heat:

edit; you may find this article interesting too.

stubbs

Edited by stubbie

2 gigs is all you really need with XP. With Vista and the current pricing, 4gb RAM is no wasted money. Vista alone hogs about 0.5-1gb (IIRC) when idling for itself if it can,

At startup, a fresh install of Vista (home basic mind you, not the ultimate hog) uses up to 550 megs of ram. No way it can run in a system with only 256 or 512.

source

a lot more than XP (I got it down to 0.3 with minor tweaking). Add gaming on high res etc, and you will be off a lot better with 4gb.

As for errors: well, Vista is OK now, a lot has been fixed.

Support: XP will recieve updates until 2011/2014, I'm not sure. until 2014.

It's officially out of the shops as a separate product, but it will still be offered with products such as the ASUS eeepc thingies.

It's really up to your personal choice.

But I do ordered a OEM license for XP Home a while ago. You never know... :drool:

Edited by Timotheus

Well up until last weekend I was only running on 2gb of ram. Now mind you I'll post my specs for the rest of my machine before I tell my experience since your mileage will definitely vary.

E6600 Core2Duo 2.4stock OC'd to 3.0

EVGA 680i motherboard

nVidia 8800GTX 768MB

2gb Corsair Dominator Ram DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 timing (my 2 new gigs are DDR2-800 5-5-5-15)

2x 320gb 7200rpm Seagate Barracudas (now 3 of them)

I was running DMC4 at completely max specs with smooth framerates (including 16x-CQ AA) ~60fps with the odd dip to ~49 when loading areas with activity, combat didn't affect it.

I run the HL2 engine test with max specs at ~200-300 fps, I have to drop a few things online for better gameplay but it's still close to the 'very high' setting.

I haven't played Crysis although with the demo I put most settings at near max and it was smooth.

All this was on Vista Business 32-Bit.

So yes, you can game on 2gb of ram, but more will work better of course. Of course 32-bit Vista does have the lovely 4gb cap, so my 4gb isn't really being used, it's only seeing 2814mb of the 4gb that's in the machine (and the memtest on startup reads it all so I know it's there... plus ubuntu sees it I think... I'll check next reboot).

My main concern with Vista is compatability!

I have loads of software and games that I love and still use that go back to the heady days of Win95. It all still works perfectly on XP (with a little help in certain cases), but what about on Vista? If I get Vista to be able to play the 2-3 new games that I like, will I lose the ability to play the 50-60 old games that I still love playing?

Come on Techies, tell me I am worrying needlessly. (Please?)

Hmm ok, so!

If I buy 4GB ram I can run a 16bit Vista right? Easily.

And you say everything will be ok then?

Then I might try out Vista...