Eye-Glasses...the big Fat Ripoff

Guest gogoblender

Ah I see, let me explain. From where I'm at, you have the choice of having a prescription from your doctor, or to trust the optician in your local vendor directly. Alas, you don't need a prescription for glasses.

This is more efficient for customers, as you can replace your glasses instantly, anytime, anywhere. You eliminate unnecessary costs too. Plus, you don't need to commit yourself to a particular vendor, you can shop around (without the need of a new prescription).

I was chatting with gogo on msn the other day, and he was quite surprised that I changed my glasses and contacts every half year or less. I then realized he is thinking about how much it would cost in Canada. ;)

Buying glasses is like buying carrots if you ask me, you can do it everyday if you want. My whole thing is that glasses don't have to be so costly, they can be and are quite affordable here, without any compromise to the quality.

Eye doctors have little to do with glasses here, they are a separate entity from eyeware vendors. You go to doctors for checkup etc, but rarely for glasses (unless you have never had the need for them). More choices for customers, less costs.

The years I stayed in the US I have my eyewares shipped oversea, except that first time I need a replacement. Even with the shipping cost I have saved a ton of money.

• 6 months later...

I'm almost ( Hey I said almost... :P) at the point now where my glasses need tape to hold them together so...it's a trip to the occularist soon (was that even a word :lol:) sigh... I just know I'm gonna scream when the bill hits..

:)

gogo

Reading this thread makes me so glad that if I ever need glasses they are cheap and prescription free over here, you just wonder down to your optician and he will tell you the strength(s) of glasses you need. Then you can choose your own.

:P

~Doom

P.S. Incidentally, gogo, christmas was a while ago now, change your avatar maybe? :D

Edited by TimOfDoom

Say, Gogo, if your prescription is out of date and you need a new one...

WHEN WILL MEDICAL INSURANCE PAY FOR AN EYE EXAM? IF YOU HAVE AN EYE CONDITION OTHER THAN NEEDING GLASSES.

Under most medical insurance, if you go to an opthamologist for an eye condition and just happen to get an eye exam and prescription at the same time, they'll pay the office fee for the visit. A common eye condition in our world of climate control is "dry eye". Yep, you heard me, dry eye. Tell the opthamologist that your eyes have been really dry lately and could they check them. Hopefully, when they do the little test, your eyes will manage to be slightly dry. When they complete your paperwork, they'll include the diagnosis code which is what the insurance company looks at to determine that you had a medicial condition and not just an eye exam. The only downfall is if your eyes are really moist the day you go in and they don't actually give the diagnosis. But if you go to an opthamologist anyway (as they're generally more expensive than an optomotrist), it doesn't hurt to ask them to test you. I worked in Employee Benefits for 8 years and was taught this by the guy who managed the Health Plans for about 15+ years.

Oh for the love of god gogo you could of gotten a laser eye surgery by now. It would of been cheaper on the long run and you might get more luck with the ladies that way. :4rofl:

P.S. Incidentally, gogo, christmas was a while ago now, change your avatar maybe? :devil:

I am with you on this Tim he is very lazy this year not changed that avatar back even though I sent him a RL message. He might of killed the messenger though. Schot you alive! :4rofl:

lol...avatar changed :hugs:

And Masteff, I hear ya about the benefits.. my company does offer some benefits for eyes... of them is a free eye exam plus twenty percent off the cost of eyeglass..

Armed with that, I'll hopefully be able to pick up something not...so dorky...

1408.jpg

:unsure:

gogo