Step up fer yer Internet Speed Test

Guest gogoblender

just saw this thread. I am paying for 1.5mbit dsl from qwest, routing through msn for a provider. msn blows for a provider, but I am committed as I just can't go without net for a week switchover. plus, they are floating ip, which does have its benefits in certain situations.

292712960.png

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say so Gogo ...

292832872.png

And Lord was in Guild Wars when I did it this time at 2:45pm on a sunday ... high traffic time

and to bangor

292817959.png

and to montreal

292818155.png

Edited by Genenut
Not bad trd. Do you have to pay for total bandwidth used...or is it unlimited?

Gene, is your isp still doing you guys good?

:D

gogo

you folks have some shocking download speeds compared to me. the posted one is home, typical dsl so can do no downloads or fill pipe 24/7 and still cost the same. the work one I will test when back there, but it is the nasty throttling one after certain download. if anyone reads this and goes for sat inet, do hughes due to their better throttling setup.

quick question for some of you folks, do you live in towns or near the town centre? I live a ways from the center of town, prob 9-10niles, unknown how far from the phone place. I am having difficulty finding a faster inet than 1.5mbit dsl. qwest offers 20mbit, but apparently not around me.

I live in a small town (about 10,000 people except in the summer when it tends to swell to 50000 due to the tourists) .... we dont have fios or good dsl up here (many areas up here dont have dsl ability anyways). we upgraded to cable for our internet. one of my coworkers does live about 20 miles from the town and gets her net through cable also.

quick question for some of you folks, do you live in towns or near the town centre? I live a ways from the center of town, prob 9-10niles, unknown how far from the phone place. I am having difficulty finding a faster inet than 1.5mbit dsl. qwest offers 20mbit, but apparently not around me.

We're strange/weird/lucky here. We live right here in Montreal, BUT..we use DSL... and DSl is distance prone. We were at the slowest end of the speed that was counted as being DSL...but we still had to pay full DSL prices... :) A lot of talks with our isp finally got a reduced price, but just this last year, we got more than triple speed with them putting in new lines:

295655552.png

We're happy with the speed, but not with the 40.00 a month price that comes with it. I'd rather have my one third speed back but with unlimited downloads

*sigh*

:)

gogo

p.s. Spock your speed is not so good? :o are you kidding me? :cha (18):

Are they actually charging you for extra bandwidth speed now?

Nope, our BB providers up their speeds every few years, but don't increase the cost to the user.

We live in a small village/suburban area, but we're not particularly near the exchange (as far as I'm aware), so when we were with Pipex (ADSL, not cable) we were only getting ~1/2 the speed that we should have been.

... how much are you paying monthly for that?

And is it unlimited per month?

About $45/month and it's unlimited but I'm required to get Cable TV as well. The total TV/Internet package is almost $65/month. I leave my network connected 24/7 so I don't have to worry about AV Updates and such while I'm working.

I've had some connection speeds (DL) in excess of 21Mb/s ...

Edited by Spock

That settles it, I need to job hunt in the washington dc area..... download speed like computer memory is something you can never have too much of ....

the speeds in dc are insane, I am impressed and jealous. thinks to self, "must not make jokes that may offend people"... just chalk it down to more of service companies ignoring middle america, they do it for cell service, why not other ones?

I may have to investigate getting bresnan cable and just ignoring the cable portion for upstairs tv's since I am attached to directv satelite. let the boys have the cable downstairs.