Indy's anime thread

Indy13

I'm here again.

I just finished watching the Devil May Cry anime. It is very well done, the music for one matches with the scene throughly, while still manages to preserve the feel of DMC games.

What bad is that its so short! Only 12 episodes, and we didn't get to see Vergil (not even as flashback). That kind of disappointed me, he is my favorite opponent in all of DMC games.

I know not enough people here are console fan, but if you have a Playstation and never played the DMC series, do it now! :( How many hours I lost with the game, oh I dunno. I can only tell you that I managed to play the disc into oblivion and needed to get another. :mafia:

ps. I'm pinning/stickying this thread. I blame you for dipping me into the anime/manga world again Indy. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I watched DMC too now, just finished it. As far as the animations/music/atmosphere go, it was a cool anime but I agree it's extremely short. Also, I'm still left wondering about a lot of things, it's a bit awkward because you get "dropped into" the story sort of speak. It leaves quite a few things unanswered...

BLEACH

And now for the first anime in the list named Bleach. Bear in mind that at the moment this counts as my favourite anime (entertainment-wise) so the post might be a bit biased, dunno. :)

This anime follows the story of a manga (japanese version of comic books) by Kubo Tite. At the time of this post the anime had 119 episodes and the manga 267 chapters, both of them still running.

Story:

In a city in Japan, Karakura Town, lives a 15-year old high-school student named Kurosaki Ichigo. He isn't quite the average teenager basically because his natural hair color is orange which makes him stand out and sometimes gets him into trouble. But what really makes Ichigo special is the fact that for as far as he can remember he has been able to see and talk to ghosts.

One day his life changes when he meets a girl named Kuchiki Rukia who tells him that she is in fact a shinigami (actual translation would be god of dead, but it's meaning is more like soul reaper). She tells him that she comes from a place called Soul Society and that her job is to deal with the spirits of those that have died. There are two types of spirits, first are called "plus" and are the normal friendly ghosts and a shinigami's task is to send them to soul society through a process called "soul burial".

The second type of spirits are called "hollows" and are characterised by a monster-like appeareance, a mask on their face as well as a hole in their chest. This spirits live only to consume the spirits of those who have died as well as the ones of those who are still living. In order to fight them shinigamis use special swords (called zanpakutou - meaning soul cutter) which have many unique powers.

Rukia's explanation is cut short by the appearance of a hollow and while fighting it she gets seriously wounded (due to Ichigo getting in the way foolishly). In order to kill the hollow she tells Ichigo that she will temporarily grant him half of her power. However something goes wrong and Ichigo gets all her powers and in fact appears to be even stronger and kills the hollow easily.

Due to the fact that Ichigo received all of Rukia's powers, he is reluctantly made to temporarily take over her job as shinigami and fight the hollows. However as Soul Society finds out about this everything takes an unexpected turn and so the real adventure begins...

Wikipedia

Bleach on Wikipedia - Warning! Here there be spoilers!

Videos:

Bleach opening 1 - Orange Range - "* ~Asterisk~"

Bleach opening 2 - UVERworld - D-tecnoLife

Bleach opening 3 - HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR - Ichirin no Hana (High-quality version)

Bleach opening 4 - Beat Crusaders - TONIGHT, TONIGHT, TONIGHT

Bleach opening 5 - Yui - Rolling star (High-quality version)

Bleach opening 6 - Aqua Timez - ALONES

Personal notes:

Now why do I like this series? Well probably the main reasons would be the plot and the sword fights. The sword fights just rule. This anime is part of the same genre as Dragon Ball (information on this anime to be posted later on), however unlike in Dragon Ball where about all episodes were filled with fights that had little role in the storyline, here all the battles count to the development of the plot. And well, watching fights with swords that have all sorts of magic (kinda) powers is way more entertaining than watching fist fights. :)

Other than that there would the humor, even though most animes have a certain degree of humor in them. The show has a lot of running gags during the episodes as well as a few seconds, usually 10-20, at the end of the episodes where the characters get involved in funny situations that have no effect on the plotline but just offer comic relief.

The voice acting is very well done, each voice suiting its character perfectly and the actors put a lot of emotions in it.

And then there's the music... Bleach has by far some of the best opening and ending songs found in animes and the songs used during the episodes usually match perfectly with the action.

What else to say... So far I have watched all the released 119 episodes. as well as read 214 out of the 267 released chapters.

That's about it for the first anime description. Well, this is the first of many to come and it might not be exactly as good as I would like it to be, but I'm sure that with practice my descriptions will improve. ;)

OMG!! this is my favourite anime (it is even better than beowulf!) I had to get distracted everyweek checking for updates. I wonder when ichigo will find out that he is son of another shinigami!! WOW!

• 1 month later...

OK don't know where you all get your Naruto fix but...

Dattebayo is the main fansubbing group atm, and they've put up a rather sucky announcement:

DB Halting Fansubbing Production Indefinitely, Effective Immediately

2007/12/27

Dear leechers,

We have warned everyone repeatedly on the issue of streaming our subs.

We sincerely appreciate everyone's efforts to spread the Naruto/Bleach love, but were growing increasingly frustrated, not to mention worried, over our repeatedly ignored requests not to upload our material to Veoh, Youtube and other streaming sites.

Perhaps you guys aren't aware, but the flagrant disregard for our requests puts us in an increasingly vulnerable position as a fansubbing group. We don't want to be shut down (which is something we are in constant threat of) and if our rules are not honored, we may well be.

Therefore we once again make this request:

* Please do NOT upload any of our released episodes to streaming sites.

Since it's hard to get people to comply just by writing in these news, we need to get your attention. So effective immediately, we are forced to stop releasing our subtitled episodes for ALL our current projects until the request is met, full stop. This includes Naruto, Bleach, Pitagora Switch and Pokemon.

We regret that we have to take such a drastic stance, but our requests have gone ignored for years. There's not much more we can do to protect ourselves and to continue bringing these episodes to fans, but we believe that taking these precautions now will keep us operational for the long run. And we hope to keep bringing these episodes to English-speaking fans for a long time. Please help us by abiding by our rules.

Here’s the issue: Dattebayo translates and subtitles anime, and released the episodes for public download on our website. Lots of well-meaning fans then take these Dattebayo episodes, re-encode / cut them into parts and upload them onto streaming sites like Youtube or Veoh. THIS IS BAD. The reason is not because Dattebayo is stupid or annoying or mean.

1. It's disrespectful to the subbers’ wishes, but more importantly,

2. Fansubbing is not legal, and with the popularity of Naruto/Bleach growing, legitimate companies have licensed them for DVD releases outside of Japan.

That makes fansubbers a target - although Dattebayo makes no money, legally the companies have all the right to shut us down. Because Dattebayo is a prominent fansubbing group, it's at constant risk and legal threat. When you put videos on Veoh/Youtube, that exposes the group and makes it a big target.

To this end, Dattebayo has politely and repeatedly asked uploaders on many streaming sites to STOP UPLOADING our files. Many people assume that the uploaders have Dattebayo's permission, but that's not true. The uploaders have basically ignored all polite requests to stop. With recent changes to Youtube "copyright enforcement" policy, it's nearly impossible to get Dattebayo material removed once it's been uploaded, therefore leaving our work in horrible quality for everyone to view.

Which is why Dattebayo has decided that we will put a hold on all our subtitled episode releases until the uploaders comply. We've been way too nice so far by letting this issue slide, but this is the end. Here's our (repeated) request to everyone who butchers our work by uploading it to streaming sites. STOP. If you're an uploader, please DO NOT UPLOAD DATTEBAYO SUBS to any more streaming sites. If you're guilty of doing this in the past, and your streaming site account is still valid, GO AND DELETE ALL THE DATTEBAYO VIDEOS WHICH BELONG TO YOUR ACCOUNT. We NEVER gave ANYONE permission to upload our work to ANY STREAMING SITE. If you're not an uploader and want to help, flag our work you find on streaming sites as copyright infringement, send private message to uploader asking to remove content, etc. This is probably futile due to immense amount of idiots who are unable to read yet are able to figure out how to click "upload" button, but it doesn't hurt to try.

It might be annoying to have to figure out how to watch anime without Youtube or Veoh, but trust me, it's really not that hard. And some fans complain, "I don't know how to do it! It’s too hard! I need Veoh!" Well, if we fansubbers can figure out how to download Naruto, translate it, time it, edit it, encode it, release it - surely you can learn how to watch it. Or you can always (and should) buy the DVDs when they're released officially.

Dattebayo is providing a SERVICE - a free, fast, reliable service. Fansubbers would like to keep providing the service, so we hope everyone can understand why this decision has been made. Dattebayo's wish is NOT to shut down anime-sharing - it’s to keep it alive for the long run. Please help by considering the bigger picture.

Without streaming sites, anime-watching may become less convenient, that is unfortunately true. But it's better than shutting down fansubbing entirely - because then you'll have no anime at all.

Dattebayo Fansubs, LLC. Taking internet seriously for the last 3.22 years

This all sounds pretty serious. However, DB is known for making announcements like this in the past, all be it that they were less lengthy before. Now, I may not like the trolling they do every once in a while, but there always is a [YHBT] tag somewhere in the text. This time there isn't. It would be a real shame if they stop subbing, most of all because I wouldn't know where else I could find new Naruto subs! Anyone else here keeping their eyes on this?

• 2 months later...

I'm here again. :P

I have been a Gundam fan, anyone reading this thread would know. But what you don't know is that I'm more and more disappointed by the series.

From a realistic and dynamic story, a struggle of survival/recognition between the Earth Federation and Zeon, Gundam series has slowly degenerated into a Gundam only story.

Gundams are invincible, the pilots of the Gundams are invicible, nothing else matters. What can fight a Gundam? Another Gundam. Who can fight a Gundam pilot? Another Gundam pilot. What happens when a Gundam pilot gets into trouble? He gets a new Gundam.

This is distinctively post 9/11, I have been reluctant in saying that but its true. There is absolutely no originality anymore. I don't remember the names of Seed/Destiny/00 pilots at all, and it really doesn't matter. They are all the same. They might as well be genetic clones. :)

You may say, well Amuro Ray (the original series main character) fights solo against a huge opposition all the times, just like nowadays series. Yes but back then he is fighting desperately, having no reinforcement, and definitely no replacement should he loses his Gundam. His Gundam is also extremely limited, it doesn't fly, its armor is weak (and a valid reason to have an extremely skilled pilot), and it needs to resupply (by resupply I don't mean the pilot can find a hole and mysteriously fixes/reloads his Gundam all by himself).

Tomino would turn over in his grave if he sees how Gundam series has become (and he is not dead :butcher:), a dupe clone of previous installments. New shiny Gundams and collectible trading cards.

---------------------

So Y am I here eh? :oooo:

Actually I have just finished the "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team". I am not sure y it escapes my Gundam radar until now, I wouldn't know it existed if I didn't see it in a retro video store. I won't say much about it, wiki said it better than I would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_G...he_08th_MS_Team

msg08thteamvt0.jpg

(The picture is the cover art of the original vol.1)

I love it, it really is a nice change, to see the pilots planning their tactics, as a group. Superior than all non Tomino Gundam series. I say it is better than "turn A" too, but turn A is weird on its own anyway... ;)

Finaly some one to post about Gundam. I wanted to write about it but am still new to it. Sorry to see you feel like this Myles my best guess is that you feel like this since you are an old fan probably watched all of them and are not big fan of the remake of the series[seed, destiny, 00]. I for one am new to it and when I saw Seed I was like :) I couldnt get enofe of it still cant same goes for Destiny. I really like the topics they touch. The concept of ending a war or how a person adapts to it when he is forced into is done in a very nice way. Plus the different things that dived the two sides can be applied on so many things in RL today.

As for the things the gundam do well come on you must expect them to do more then the gundams of 1979. Its just the way of things every show that has its remake faced this things in one point or a noter[take star trek for example :)].

Last but not list seed and destiny have one so many anime awards so there must be something there.

P.S.:I love the seed and destiny Sound Tracks! :P

P.S.S.: I am still new to the gundam world so dont take that against me. :D

I still watch all the new Gundam series mind you. :D

It is disappointing for me because it has lost its virginity so to speak. Its all a formula now, you know what I mean? It no longer breaks any ground or takes any risk, completely predictable.

---------------------------------

Anyway, I noticed that the thread is missing some comedy anime, so I will add one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahoromatic

mahoromaticls6.jpg

(Image is the coverart of the season 2 DVD)

"Mahoromatic" is very expertly done, being a tragic/comedy. Two contracting concepts in one go. A realistic yet surreal plot. It has done a fine job is demonstrating Japanese culture as well.

While the anime is by no mean naughty, it is 15+, containing adult humors, partial nudity, and suggestive scenes. Consider yourself warned.

Also, no filler!! All but the two specials advance the plot whenever suitable. Not plagued with fillers like all mega-populars.

One piece? Omg you can pretty much say that all episodes are filler! Even if the plot advances in an episode, the rest of that episode would be recap/previous conversation.

Or Naruto, good god do they ever shut up? :D

Bleach is ok, yeah drag out conversations and recaps, but at least it won't hit you with filler for weeks.

I'm getting off topic... lol. :lol: Anyhow, Mahoromatic is funny and sad. All but the ending deliver. The ending is plain dark, different from the one in manga. Totally out of place and failed to warp up anything. Which begs the question, Y do they even change it then? :)

• 3 weeks later...
Finaly some one to post about Gundam.

Gundam been talked about throughout the thread, the post are just scattered all around. :bow:

Anyhow, you all probably know by now that I know Japanese. Although I have never told you what has inspired me to do so, which would be Hayao Miyazaki (宮崎 駿). I am in love with two of his animated movies ever since I was a kid, kinda stupid and naive eh? ;)

The two would be "Kaze no tani no Naushika" (Nausicaa: valley of the wind) and "Tenkū no Shiro Rapyuta" (Laputa: Castle in the Sky). Note: I believe I got the translated title, but I can't be sure.

nausicaanr0.jpg

castleintheskymoviepostcf7.jpg

(Both of them are the original VHS cover arts)

Btw, the opening theme of Laputa is my all time favorite of anything animated ("Sora kara Futtekita Shoujo"/"The Girl Who Fell from the Sky" by Joe Hisaishi)

http://tv.mofile.com/1V4SDT4V/

(I dunno how to work it into the post, so just click play on it)

It was simply amazing for me as a kid to watch, I was completely mesmerized. Later I insisted the incorporation of both opening themes into my piano and flute lesson.

Y do I love them so much? I dunno. Really. I mean I do like Toy Story, Monster Inc, etc, but Miyazaki's works are on a whole different level. And these two have left a everlasting impression.

Assign from my Gundam series, these two are the only VHS I have left. Super silly, consider that I don't have a working VHS player anymore. :) I know its moronic and all that, still I can't bring myself to trash them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone its me again. :hugs:

I was in the mood of digging my collections and I found my Fullmetal Alchemist.

fullmetalalchemistvs5.jpg

(DVD cover)

No one has yet to mention it, though this one has been a major success in both Japan and America.

Unlike many other animes, the child protagonists are not naive nor impulsive.

(Characters such as Naruto are so overtone and overdone. I do watch Naruto, but it will not earn a slot in my collection, it will just be another popular come and go anime)

FMA has it own intricate story, balancing between fantasy and reality. The concept of equivalence exchange makes this a mature story as told by a child. The narratives are well defined. It amazed me that the storyteller is one of the protagonist. An interesting setup, making the story neither a first-person, second-person, nor a third-person.

The audiences can't really gauge the true feelings of the main protagonist, nor do they have to endure a tacky know-it-all third person narrative. Don't you just hate it when you are just being told how each character in a story is thinking and doing, and in turn how you should feel about them. So overrated.

A story should just tells itself. And I think FMA managed to do it. It has a good mix of action and drama, a depth that is lacking in most flashy animes.

A little bit dark in times, it is by no mean pessimistic. Noted that though, the anime and the manga differ greatly, mainly due to the fact that the anime is produced in the middle of the manga's. Both are done well in a sense.

I think they are still making light novels out of it as we speak, although I have not picked up any of them.

• 8 months later...

Ah anime, I am member on OtakuCenter and have a decent amount of Watched

anime in my list already. ;)

The Animes I have seen so far:

Blood+

Black Lagoon

Burst Angel

Ghost Hound

Claymore

Kaze no Stigma

Elfen Lied

Night Wizard

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Izumo

The Twelve Kingdoms

Guyver(2005)

Tokyo Majin

Clanad

Chrono Crusade

Haruka

Devil may Cry

D.o.D

Madlax

Tenjo Tenge

Ayashi no Ceres

Inuyasha

Kiba

Ayakashi

Demonbane

The Tower of Druaga

PERSONA-Trinity Soul

Shakugan no Shana (Season 1+2)

Vampire Knight

Vampire Knight ~Guilty~

Tales of Eternia

Uchuu no Stellvia

Matantei Loki

Kamen no Maid Guy

Rune Soldier

Shura no Toki

Ryoko's Case File

Otogi Zoshi

Night Head Genesis

Hajime no Ippo

Wolf's Rain

Scrapped Princess

Hellsing

Dragon Drive

Chaos Head

And counting. _whistle__by_ChaosEmeraldHunter.gif:4rofl:

Edited by Arafinwe
  • 2 months later...

No much to add..except music wise. I think Indy mention looking for music for Ghost in the Shell.

Yoko Kanno is a popular composer and has done many soundtracks for anime.

Inner Universe - sung by Origa

Rise - sung by Origa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bOhI-P6de4...feature=related

Tank!

Battle Frontier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIWb6Lrszo

Moon - sung by Gabriela Robin

Edited by Cygnus
Wolf's Rain

wolfsraino.jpg

(Wallpaper, no idea if its official)

My gosh, this one rings up my memory instantly, esp. the ending theme. A perfect example of BONES' work. I love CLAMP more, but BONES has certainly been great to me. :whistle:

I could not explain the world of Wolf's Rain w/o spoiling the story, so I will just say this. Excellent story, well woven continuity. On the surface, its about the journey of endangered wolfs who take human form, but the deeper individual plots eventually mainstreamed into one wholesome purpose.

The peek of the story is effectively the ending (although some might not agree with me), which is a paradox on its own. The ending is neither resolved nor unexplained, leaving it largely to the thinking of the audiences. It certainly has left a impression in my mind.

Wolf's Rain has gore and may not be suitable for children, but it definitely does not focus on violent, but more of a struggle for survival and future. Highly recommended.

Wolfs Rain was a awesome Anime alright, it started slow with its story but from episode 6

it became better and better with each episode. It is definitely in my top 5 of best Anime.

My list of seen anime has grown a bit: :P

Blood+

Black Lagoon

Burst Angel

Ghost Hound

Claymore

Kaze no Stigma

Elfen Lied

Night Wizard

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Izumo

The Twelve Kingdoms

Guyver(2005)

Tokyo Majin

Tokyo majin 2nd act

Clanad

Chrono Crusade

Haruka

Devil may Cry

Decedents of Darknesss

Madlax

Tenjo Tenge

Ayashi no Ceres

Inuyasha

Kiba

Ayakashi

Demonbane

The Tower of Druaga

PERSONA-Trinity Soul

Shakugan no Shana season 1+2

Vampire Knight

Vampire Knight ~Guilty~

Rosaria+Vampire

Rosario+Vampire Capu2

Shinigami no Ballad

Tales of Eternia

Uchuu no Stellvia

Matantei Loki

Kamen no Maid Guy

Kage Kara Mamoru!

Rune Soldier

Shura no Toki

Ryoko's Case File

Otogi Zoshi

Night Head Genesis

Hajime no Ippo

Wolf's Rain

Scrapped Princess

Hellsing

Dragon Drive

Chaos Head

Kanon 2006

Sola

Flame of Recca

Elemental Gelade

Koihime Musou

Tokko

Loveless

Asagiri no Miko

Vampire Princess Miyu

Kenran Butoh Sai

Kurozuka

Shonen Onmyouji

Kamisama Kazoku

Majin Tantei Nõgami Neuro

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki

Noir

Records Of Lodoss War OVA

Ga-rei Zero

Oban Star Racers

Busou Renkin

Higurashi no naku koroni

Kannazuki no Miko

That is it...for now. :pirate:

• 1 month later...

I found an excellent source of anime and I'm using it to help me get through my anime cravings. I started out to find some short series, because I already have Bleach atm, and just started watching 07-Ghost.

I've finished Hellsing, Afro Samurai and Ayakashi in the past few weeks; currently I'm watching Blood+. (I already saw the movie, and this spin-off seemed interesting.)

Afro Samurai

afro-samurai.jpg

A black samurai with a huge afro, hence the name Afro Samurai, wants to avenge his father's death. In the world of Afro Samurai, there are 2 supreme fighters: the Numer One and the Number Two. The Number One is the best fighter there is, and the Number Two is the only one who is allowed to challenge him.

Afro's father used to be the Number One, who got slain by the Number Two, Justice. As we watch Afro following a path of to get his revenge, the story unfolds. Through flashbacks you get to see his life: the death of his father, his training, and his path to the current events.

An interesting person in this story is a very chatty and lighthearted guy, who *seems* to be Afro's alter ego.

Ayakashi

ayakashi.jpg

An Ayakashi is a parasite life force that gives superpowers to its host. The cost of using this force is some kind of physical or mental impairment.

Yū Kusaka is a student, who is possessed by an Ayakashi, one of the most powerful there is. However, he can't control his power yet, it's still slumbering. After he meets a girl named Eimu Yoake, his life takes some drastic turns. From that point on, he and Eimu face other Ayakashi and their hosts, trying to kill them. And slowly, the power within Yū awakens, just in time to save the world from "him", the one threatening to kill everyone alive.

Also, I've watched the Hellsing series, both the normal one and the Ultimate OVA.

hellsing.jpg

The stories of the normal series and the Ultimate OAV are widely different, though.

Hellsing is based on the Holy Order of Protestant Knights. The organization originated from Abraham Van Helsing, with his heir at the top. Their mission is to protect Queen and Country from the undead and other supernatural forces of evil. Alucard, the main character, is Hellsing's trump card: he's a vampire who vowed to serve the organization.

In the normal series, Alucard and Hellsing face a force that's trying to eliminate Hellsing, using ghouls, vampires and a disturbed form of half-vampires which get named "freaks", created by implanting a so-called "freak chip" in a person.

The Ultimate OVA deals also with a force trying to eliminate Hellsing, but here, the force is an organization called Millennium. This organization found it's origin in the Second World War, it was an attempt of the German forces to create soldiers who would go on where others would fall.

My latest discovery:

Blood+

47124yl.jpg

Saya Otonashi is a high school student, adopted by a man who has opened his life for 3 orphans. She has no memories of her past, she just has occasional flashbacks. And those are signs of a horrific life. At one night, Saya’s happy life is shattered when she is attacked by a chiropteran, a monster. Haji, a mysterious man with a cello on his back, comes to her rescue. From that point on her life gets turned upside down. She learns that she is the only one who can defeat the chiropterans, and that Haji is some kind of guardian to her.

She joins ranks with an organization called Red Shield, and embarks on a journey to kill chiropterans and rediscover her identity. The journey reveals the origin of the chiropterans and Saya's gruesome past, which extends into the mid-19th century.

Edited by Timotheus

Found a fun site which has a cool anime tracker:

timotheus.jpg

You can add all anime series and movies you watch(ed), and it will transform them into time, letting you keep track how much time of your life you've spent on anime :)

Edited by Timotheus

I use Myanimelist.net

Here's a link to my profile

This site has an App that automatically updates your profile while you watch your anime. Since I'm following 11 series at the same time it helps a lot to keep track of where I am, and if I take a break from a series I won't loose my spot.

Edited by Crunchie

I dislike monitor, it feels like I'm watching too much. Which I'm. :Just_Cuz_21:

"Blood+" is good, although the drawing style is too bleak. I believe it could have had better rating if Saya is more stunning. Same with many of the minor characters. The story is actually good enough to go more than 50 episodes.

But then, the rating might not have gone that bad if its not put against "Major", which isn't good enough no matter how you look at it.

There are plenty of baseball animes far superior than "Major", I'm so surprise the fifth season has begun, still with stable rating. For god sake, the major character has only fastball, with which isn't that fast to begin. Now at least he learned a bit folk. Really, if pros only know this much, nobody should watch baseball at all. And Goro Honda has gone international... give me a break already.

I suppose its true that with baseball anything goes in Japan.

I use Myanimelist.net

Here's a link to my profile

This site has an App that automatically updates your profile while you watch your anime. Since I'm following 11 series at the same time it helps a lot to keep track of where I am, and if I take a break from a series I won't loose my spot.

Only 11 Anime, HA rooky. :)

I am following 17, and luckily I have MAL list as well for that. On MAL just look for me with the same name as I use here. :)

And personaly I watch my Animes here; Otaku Center

Edited by Arafinwe
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found a new series of epps I like, called Konjiki no Gash Bell!

zatch-bell.jpg

Exactly 100 demons come to the human world once every 1,000 years, to fight each other. Last demon standing will become the new Demon King.

Every demon has it's own special skills, which are recorded in special books. These books will be held by a human, and the spells will be revealed to the human (thus usable in battle) as their experience increases.

Gash Bell is a demon boy, who suffers from amnesia after being sent to Earth. Kiyo Takamine is a genius high school student, who lives most of his life alone. The appearance of Gash Bell changes this, and they fight together for Gash to become the new Demon King.

Edited by Timotheus
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

wow I just found this thread very impressive I actually own most of these animies physical copies I post some pictures of my games/cinema room when I finish building it this month its almost finished so my animie is in storage, but more to the point. I actually lived in Japan in 2006 for year teaching English travelling around japan. have those picture too:=)

• 7 months later...

Ah! An Anime thread :) I hope this isn't grave digging, but I have been watching a lot of anime to help with my Japanese language studies.

There is a group called Clamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamp_%28manga_artists%29) that does manga, but most of their work gets adapted to anime. What is unique about them is:

1) They are very solid and established -- almost 25 years now. This is nearly unheard of for an intact team.

2) They are a group of 4 women, but they do mostly drama/tragedy instead of Josei. Some of their stuff will really break your heart.

3) They have created an expanded universe that is self consistent and leads to a lot of cameo and cross over.

I can't list them all, but my favorites from them are:

1996 2000 Cardcaptor Sakura

1999 2001 Angelic Layer

2001 2002 Chobits

2003 ongoing xxxHolic

2003 2009 Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle

Themes include the value of life in tragedy, the worth of "artificial" life, magic and dark fantasy, and the meaning of love.

What hooked me was Tsubasa Chronicles (the anime). The first episode totally rocked me, and the sound track left me completely spellbound. After that I became a fan of all tings Clamp for life :)

A Youtube clip can't do justice, but I included one anyway. I think it really captures the spirit of the Clamp genre as a whole :)

Claymore

A small series (cant remember exactly, I think 24 episodes). This is definately ranked in my favourites. It's a subgenre if you will, that you either like, or don't like.

I've seen hardcore anime fans that don't like this, and people who practially spit on anime watch this like their life depended on it.

The visual quality is amazing. The level of detail is extremely high, and troughout the story, a more 'serious' atmosphere is maintained.

You won't get characters dropping buckets of water when crying, having their heads grow monsterous when they get mad or any of the likes.

This is partly the reason why I love it so much. Even though the story is completely fictional, the laws of the real physics don't apply, and yet a sense of realism is built throughout the story.

I absolutely love it.

Allso emotions get a highly ranked spot in this series. Sensitive viewers might end up crying. A good friend of mine actually cried.

Story:

In a medieval-like time period there are monsters called the Yoma. These monsters have different abilities, depending on their 'level of strenght'.

All of them have the nasty habbit of feeding on human brains though.

Extremely strong and hard to defeat, the normal population relies on 'The organisation' to help ward off these monsters.

In the organisation beings known as Claymore battle the Yoma.

Claymore are all female, but are part Yoma and part Human. This allows them to abide to the lows of social conduct (read: prevent them from going beserk), but yet they maintain certain powers connected to the Yoma.

In this organisation, depending on the level of danger, higher ranked Claymore are sent out.

The least powerfull of em all ... Claire. (or so they think).

The story revolves around claire and her human travelling companion.

The story will take unexpected plot twists, show every emotion from fury and anger to love and despair.

You will learn about Claire's history, the history of the organisation, the Yoma, the physical laws of the universe in which the story is set, etc etc...

I can't do anything but recommend this to lovers of the fantasy/anime genre.

This was one of the first anime I ever watched. Being a fan of fantasy and books, I found the step to 'pokemon-like' appearances in stories very uninteresting.

Like I said having heads the size of boats when you are mad, crying rivers of water, geting strange marks on your forehead when you shout, etc... was not appealing to me at first.

Claymore was the perfect transition between the fantasy and books setting to the anime setting for me.

Seriously people, if you have not watched it, then watch it!

if you still don't like it by episode 4-5, you are probably amoung the people who will never like it.

If you do like it, you will be hooked by episode 2 :)

ps: I watched it virtually non-stop. Took me 48 hours or so to finish it.

One sidenote though:

The story has a very (read: very!) open ending. I've been waiting ages for them to bring out a sequel, but the story never really finished. none the less I thought it was amazing.

edit:

Searched for a video that didn't reveal anything about the story, but yet showed you nicely what I meant.

This AMV does that quite nicely. It shows the gore, style of drawing, and general setting of the story, without being a spoiler.

places to watch it for free (legally)

www.anilinkz.net

www.animefreak.tv

www.animecrunch.com

Edited by promatolya